A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Staying clocked in while OOW - Test

Posted: Apr 09, 2015

Has anyone ever stayed clocked in while OOW, like for an entire day and subsequently for the entire week. Of course, they would have to pay minimum wage, but I'm just wondering for how long???

Good for you. My acct is almost never out of work but I'd do the same - if it was.

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I have not done it, just wondering if anyone has. - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
If anyone has done that, please tell of your experience.

i haven't - thought

[ In Reply To ..]
of that, but you're probably on to something ?!?

It would not work and you would be written up. - They have a written OOW policy in

[ In Reply To ..]
place to protect themselves against this. I would follow the OOW policy and then if need be, file for partial unemployment for any weeks missing wages due to the OOW situation. Staying punched in will only lower your line count and probably fall under required and will lead to other issues. They have a written policy for a reason (to protect themselves).

CA has an OOW law that trumps anything N has, so maybe - you should

[ In Reply To ..]
check your state labor laws to see what you should do. They can try punishing for something allowed by your state but won't get far.

My experience with that - On site worker bee

[ In Reply To ..]
CA does not trump Nuance, unless a person resides in CA and chooses to force the issue. My experience on site in OOW situations was that we were not permitted to sit around and do nothing, and we were paid by the hour. Employees were given the option of using PTO to cover the down time or were told that they needed to make up the time. We rarely ran out of work but that was the case when there were network outages or technical issues. No employer pays people to sit around and do nothing when there is no work. If that's the case, maybe we all need to move to California.
OOW and labor laws - rock bottom
[ In Reply To ..]
If the employer requires you WAIT for work to come in, you can stay clocked in and they have to pay you to be 'on call.'

OTOH, if you are permitted to clock out and not return for the rest of your shift after waiting for a short time (feds don't define short), you must clock out and you can decide to flex and come back another time or you can decide not to work outside your schedule and be short the hours. You cannot be penalized for not getting 40 hours if you worked within your scheduled shift but did not have enough work to equal the time (40 or 20). You do not have to take PTO to 'make up' to get your 40 or 20 hours.

There is little or no recourse as far as continuously not getting work on your regularly scheduled shift other than to change accounts or change shifts.

Some states have laws that require the employer to pay you for X amount of hours each day you show up to work. So, if you show up for an 8 hour shift, and you only get 1 hour of work, the employer might have to pay you for X more hours because you showed up and there was no work. This is a good law to keep employers from over-hiring on production type jobs, thereby using an employee's time but the employee gets no pay.
That is what CA does, assures that you get paid for - showing up.
[ In Reply To ..]
If you show up for work and there is none, you are required to be paid 4 hours for an 8 hour shift or 2 for a 4. You have to essentially sit there during that time, be available to work your shift, but you are required to be paid for being there per CA law.

To the other poster, Nuance law never trumps the laws of the state you live in.
I know someone from NYS tested this - and it worked for them
[ In Reply To ..]
They have a law where "call-in pay" means you need to be paid 4 hours or your shift, whichever is less, if you have no work.

I can't find the thread unfortunately, but she was successful in claiming from Nuance - I think she quit soon afterward though, so you do wonder if they didn't fight her because they knew she was going. Has anyone tested it in CA?

I always mean to keep track and sit there when no work, but it tends to escape me and they end up winning (and not paying), but I might try to do the sitting there my whole shift thing even if no work for most of it and see if I can at least try reporting it to DOL and see if I can get it to work for me.

The real problem for me is that I really don't want a whole new slew of accounts (already have about 7, and still every morning very slow), I just want all the extra people on my primary to get off it, give THEM the new stuff!

It speaks to monumental disregard for both MTs and clients because those who have been doing these accounts for years would obviously be the preferred MTs if the client knew this was happening, but Nuance would rather overstaff on all accounts than work out scheduling that would work best for everyone. I have to think it's just laziness, greed, and not caring about anything but TAT on the management side. I also wonder if they and MModal get together and compare notes, because it seems they are now copying MModal's strategy of giving more and more accounts to MTs and spreading the work very thin, which makes for very unhappy and poorly paid MTs.
It was me... - Ex-Nuance
[ In Reply To ..]
When I fought it they had no idea I was about to quit. To recap, you need to go to the Department of Labor site for your particular state, find the statute regarding call-in pay and not only link it, but copy/paste the correct information on the email. I didn't submit notice until 2 weeks after that whole thing, so I only did it once. :)

(and yes, I still read the boards not only to look at other job openings but to keep up with the mess that seems to be getting worse at Nuance...good luck fellow MTs)

here's the thing - me

[ In Reply To ..]
When you sign the employee agreement, if you don't follow them exactly they can get rid of you. No matter what they do to you as well, they are an "at will" company and can fire you if they don't like the color of your eyes. I called the labor board twice about their practices and told even though they may have some questionable activities, they are covered because of being "at will." If they break federal laws, then it's time for a lawyer.

Similar Messages:

When The System Is Down, Do We Just Stay Clocked Out Or
Apr 17, 2013

do we clock in under a certain thing like work availability? ...

Clocked In Today For My QC Job And Found An
Jun 30, 2014

as of tomorrow. Happy Monday to you too Nuance. ...

STAYING FOCUSED DOING VR/SR
Oct 20, 2011

Have been an MT for 34 years..having trouble staying focused doing SR...any suggestions??? ...

Staying Awake
Oct 15, 2012

Sitting here with work but still falling asleep at the computer.  How does one stay awake through all this crappy ASR and ESL who stutter and just totally horrible dictations?  ...

Staying On Task?
Dec 12, 2013

Hello everyone. If anyone has any tips on how to stay on task it would be appreciated. I know this topic has been discussed before, but I wanted some different ideas. Thanks! ...

Tips On Staying Focused Anyone?!
Oct 12, 2010

Normally, I'm very disciplined about work.  I have a very stable job, very good pay, great accounts.  I am just having trouble staying on task.  Mind you, I do not have to just push and push.  I just need to relax and complete a report, upload it, do the next one.  I can breaks when I want to.  There is NOTHING wrong with my situation except as soon as I start a report my mind goes to a zillion other things I would rather be doing.  I can hardly get thro ...

Your Tips For Staying Attentive.
Dec 30, 2010

I am an independent contractor and do the transcription for a busy family practice office.  I use Instant Text, macros and autocorrect, and I also use my timer to keep myself productive.  But sometimes I struggle with productivity and focusing. I'd love to hear people's tips here on how they stay focused when your mind is pulled other places, and, also, your best tips for increasing your speed!  I just know there is a wealth of information here.  Even shaving a few ...

Having Trouble Staying Motivated.
Jan 17, 2011

Anybody else having trouble staying motivated? Don't get me wrong, I am happy to have a job; but I am just tired of the cut in benefits. Wouldn't it be nice to get a raise for once? Maybe it is time to go back to school and do something else.   ...

Staying Awake On Third Shift
Aug 10, 2011

I was just wondering how many other people work third shift and have such trouble staying awake?  I have been doing third shift for a while and it's HARD!!! I have a new baby and my husband watches him in the day, but I cannot seem to get more than 4 hours of sleep during the day and then I try to take a nap in the evening before work, but I am STILL having problems staying awake and I know being tired sets one up for disaster for mistakes.  I am thinking of talking to my physicia ...

Help With Motivation/staying On Task
Aug 08, 2012

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with/power through horrendous audio quality reports? We  have had these reports on my primary account for 2 months now and my company refuses to do anything about them. I turn the volume all the way up and still can barely hear the dictator over all the static. I struggle to figure out what they are saying, but I find myself "checking out" and losing focus and motivation to get through these reports after a while. How does everyone else do it? ...

DQS Down - Staying Logged In To Schedule Source
Jan 13, 2010

so I can document my down time and get paid.     ...

Staying Focused/Motivated At Home
Nov 28, 2010

Hi, I was wondering for those of you who work at home, what type of methods do you you use to stay focused at home, ie. environment, lighting, and so forth?  I like working at home but there are days when I'm easily distracted by the littlest thing and it slows down my line count or I need a break for my eyes to get away from looking at words on the computer screen. ...

Anyone Have Any Tips On Staying Alert/functional During 3rd Shift? Sm
Feb 27, 2014

I only have an hour window between my 2nd shift job and the 3rd shift job, and I try to sneak in a nap, but after a couple of hours I find myself yawning and losing focus. Coffee doesn't seem to help nor do any of the energy drinks. So far, 5 minutes of jumping jacks or something every hour has helped the most, but I still feel I am not at my best (and my production shows it). Any tips you might have would be greatly appreciated. TIA. ...

Anybody Else's Actual Time Worked Not Match Clocked Time?
Jun 13, 2011

Ever since they have changed Schedule Source and now it has a display called today's activity with "actuals" hours, this has not matched the hours shown with the time clock punches and is less than the hours according to the clock punch. The difference adds up to a significant amount over time. I am really suspicious about being jypped paywise. ...

Wow. I Have Been Clocked In 45 Minutes, And My Inactive Time Shows As 34 Minutes.
May 08, 2013

It appears to be only counting the active time to be the actual time the audio is playing and not all the time I spend in ADT and formatting. Looks like they may be manipulating the figure to ding people "for not actively working" for long periods of time. Hmmm, building another way to fire people? ...

Staying In Health Care And Am Especially Interested In Home Healthcare
Jul 06, 2012

I am looking into what field of study to take up. I am thinking about staying in Health Care and am especially interested in home health care. I was wondering if anyone knows personally if there are demands for: Physical Therapist assistant - with Associated degree Occupational assistant- with Associates degree Has anyone heard of Speech/language pathologist assistant? I think this will require too much schooling but I have heard there is a big demand in health care and schools. I al ...

Pt Is Currently Staying At Oak Grove "L-tech"
Oct 17, 2011

? ...

"I'm Just Staying Positive"
Dec 28, 2011

This morning a local morning talk DJ had an interesting segment.  He was responding to a woman who had called in, complaining that he didn't have anything "positive" to say.  His response was, "Oh, I am POSITIVELY certain that we are all getting screwed!"  (Comments were in reference to Congress extending the debt ceiling.) This reminded me of the asinine phrase, "I'm just going to be POSITIVE!" that I hear over and over, usually from women, most of whom are MTs.&n ...