A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

STAYING FOCUSED DOING VR/SR - Cinda

Posted: Oct 20, 2011

Have been an MT for 34 years..having trouble staying focused doing SR...any suggestions???

5-Hour Energy - It works

[ In Reply To ..]
And no jitters, just keeps you alert. I use those when I can't focus or get drowsy. Alternatively, snack on popcorn while you work.

I've been wanting to try that, but it's too pricey for me! - Meerkat

[ In Reply To ..]
So I start my day off with a cuppa coffee and a half a No-Doz.

Yesterday afternoon I was dozing off in front of my VR work with my foot on the pedal! Then I'd wake up, and have to back up again wo wherever it was I left off when I fell asleep. What works there, if I have time, is to take my 1/2 No-Doz, then lie down for a quick power-nap. After about 30 min. or so, as soon as I wake up, the caffeine has taken effect, and I can jump back into work without the groggy feeling I'd normally have if I had taken a regular nap.

NOT healthy, I know.... But what IS healthy about being a medical transcriptionist?

It's a bedtime story for me - KCMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been an MT for 20 years now and find VR/SR the equivalent to a bedtime story. I use 5-hour Energy and buy it at Sam's. Otherwise, I can't make any money at all. I'm a 3rd shifter and take small 5-minute breaks every 45 minutes. I even go outside or switch the laundry to help wake me up. I wash my face and apply a gel-filled mask to give my eyes a rest too, especially at the end of my shift. VR/SR is worse on these old eyes than straight typing by far.

Similar Messages:

Tips On Staying Focused Anyone?!
Oct 12, 2010

Normally, I'm very disciplined about work.  I have a very stable job, very good pay, great accounts.  I am just having trouble staying on task.  Mind you, I do not have to just push and push.  I just need to relax and complete a report, upload it, do the next one.  I can breaks when I want to.  There is NOTHING wrong with my situation except as soon as I start a report my mind goes to a zillion other things I would rather be doing.  I can hardly get thro ...

Staying Focused/Motivated At Home
Nov 28, 2010

Hi, I was wondering for those of you who work at home, what type of methods do you you use to stay focused at home, ie. environment, lighting, and so forth?  I like working at home but there are days when I'm easily distracted by the littlest thing and it slows down my line count or I need a break for my eyes to get away from looking at words on the computer screen. ...

Please Tell Me How To Stay Focused!!! Sm
Dec 04, 2009

I have done this type of work for a long time.  The last couple of years I have a terrible time staying focused on my work and not emailing, texting, surfing the web, etc.  I need the money really badly!  What is wrong with me?  I am not destitute yet - I keep asking myself if that is what has to happen before I can get serious and do my job.  I should be able to do 2000 lines a day but instead I am doing 950 to 1000. I am literally sick over it and worry about i ...

How To Avoid Distraction/keep Focused??
Sep 21, 2012

I've had a really hard time lately with this...  Lots going on at home so my mind just wanders.  My paychecks are awful now as a result...   What do you do to keep yourself from getting distracted (bills, email, Facebook, staring at a wall LOL, etc)??  I really need something to get me motivated and back on track again. :(   TIA! ...

Failed Another 3 Focused Audits.
Dec 31, 2013

Yep, that's my 4th within a week. Yep, just as I noted a couple weeks ago, 2 "punctuation" errors and you fail. One spelling error that I have no idea how that could make it through spell check. And a full point for not cc'ing a dictating physician who said to send him a copy - because the CP did not say not to??????? I thought it was policy not to cc the dictator even if they requested such. I cannot even remember any client profile stating not to send a cc to the dictating physi ...

Any Advice On How To Stay Focused?
Aug 25, 2014

I am ADD by nature and the older I get, the worse it seems to get. Any tricks of the trade you all have would be greatly appreciated. I used to use music in the background, but my hospitals have terrible audio lately and it seems to do more harm then good at this point. ...

I Am Not 100% Focused On Patient Care Anymore.
Jan 31, 2015

How can I be?  I'm too focused on what I'll get dinged for. Every other day there are updates to account specifics.  How on earth can one remember every little thing for every single account (I do 5)? What will the auditor think of this or that?  Should I actually type verbatim even if it makes NO sense?  Should I change what voice wreck typed, i.e., "On physical examination, the patient..." The doctor actually said, "On physical, the patient..." So, this goes ou ...

Tips And Strategies To Help Stay Focused And Productive...
Apr 05, 2011

Hi all, I have to do a Powerpoint presentation this week in front of a group of MT students.  I would really appreciate it if you would be willing to share any tips or ideas that you may use that has helped you remain focused and productive while working in a home environment.  I've been an MT for over 20 years and worked from home for 14.  Other than the obvious strategies that I use like getting dressed, eating breakfast, turning the phnoe off, and dedicating workspace, I& ...

Staying Awake
Oct 15, 2012

Sitting here with work but still falling asleep at the computer.  How does one stay awake through all this crappy ASR and ESL who stutter and just totally horrible dictations?  ...

Staying On Task?
Dec 12, 2013

Hello everyone. If anyone has any tips on how to stay on task it would be appreciated. I know this topic has been discussed before, but I wanted some different ideas. Thanks! ...

Staying Clocked In While OOW
Apr 09, 2015

Has anyone ever stayed clocked in while OOW, like for an entire day and subsequently for the entire week. Of course, they would have to pay minimum wage, but I'm just wondering for how long??? ...

Your Tips For Staying Attentive.
Dec 30, 2010

I am an independent contractor and do the transcription for a busy family practice office.  I use Instant Text, macros and autocorrect, and I also use my timer to keep myself productive.  But sometimes I struggle with productivity and focusing. I'd love to hear people's tips here on how they stay focused when your mind is pulled other places, and, also, your best tips for increasing your speed!  I just know there is a wealth of information here.  Even shaving a few ...

Having Trouble Staying Motivated.
Jan 17, 2011

Anybody else having trouble staying motivated? Don't get me wrong, I am happy to have a job; but I am just tired of the cut in benefits. Wouldn't it be nice to get a raise for once? Maybe it is time to go back to school and do something else.   ...

Staying Awake On Third Shift
Aug 10, 2011

I was just wondering how many other people work third shift and have such trouble staying awake?  I have been doing third shift for a while and it's HARD!!! I have a new baby and my husband watches him in the day, but I cannot seem to get more than 4 hours of sleep during the day and then I try to take a nap in the evening before work, but I am STILL having problems staying awake and I know being tired sets one up for disaster for mistakes.  I am thinking of talking to my physicia ...

Help With Motivation/staying On Task
Aug 08, 2012

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with/power through horrendous audio quality reports? We  have had these reports on my primary account for 2 months now and my company refuses to do anything about them. I turn the volume all the way up and still can barely hear the dictator over all the static. I struggle to figure out what they are saying, but I find myself "checking out" and losing focus and motivation to get through these reports after a while. How does everyone else do it? ...

DQS Down - Staying Logged In To Schedule Source
Jan 13, 2010

so I can document my down time and get paid.     ...

High Quality, Cost Effective And Customer Focused - Words That Spell Exploitation. . .
Nov 06, 2011

Am I the only one that feels this way??? Tell me, please, how do they expect us to make a living when they are paying squat to keep their cost of service down?? T ...

Anyone Have Any Tips On Staying Alert/functional During 3rd Shift? Sm
Feb 27, 2014

I only have an hour window between my 2nd shift job and the 3rd shift job, and I try to sneak in a nap, but after a couple of hours I find myself yawning and losing focus. Coffee doesn't seem to help nor do any of the energy drinks. So far, 5 minutes of jumping jacks or something every hour has helped the most, but I still feel I am not at my best (and my production shows it). Any tips you might have would be greatly appreciated. TIA. ...

Staying In Health Care And Am Especially Interested In Home Healthcare
Jul 06, 2012

I am looking into what field of study to take up. I am thinking about staying in Health Care and am especially interested in home health care. I was wondering if anyone knows personally if there are demands for: Physical Therapist assistant - with Associated degree Occupational assistant- with Associates degree Has anyone heard of Speech/language pathologist assistant? I think this will require too much schooling but I have heard there is a big demand in health care and schools. I al ...

Pt Is Currently Staying At Oak Grove "L-tech"
Oct 17, 2011

? ...

"I'm Just Staying Positive"
Dec 28, 2011

This morning a local morning talk DJ had an interesting segment.  He was responding to a woman who had called in, complaining that he didn't have anything "positive" to say.  His response was, "Oh, I am POSITIVELY certain that we are all getting screwed!"  (Comments were in reference to Congress extending the debt ceiling.) This reminded me of the asinine phrase, "I'm just going to be POSITIVE!" that I hear over and over, usually from women, most of whom are MTs.&n ...