A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Coding pay after training and apprenticeship is - wiscomt

Posted: Mar 13, 2014

My HDSM answered my question about pay as follows......"pay is structured differently and is hourly.  Initial pay is based on experience with the growth potential to be more than transcription."  How do you all interpret this?  I say it means that there's the possibility pay will be less than benefit rate to start.  No one will have enough "experience" to justify anything higher than their minmum pay rate.  Feedback welcome :-)

We could "possibly" make more than transcription someday?! - That doesnt sound good. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

well i for one will only accept the training when I know how much the pay will be - East MT

[ In Reply To ..]
it's not your supervisor's job to tell you that. It' s up to the person who offers you the training.

Pay - CT

[ In Reply To ..]
The info I got this morning, boy is this all fun --yours said, mine said-- was that it was benefit rate during training and $16/hr for apprenticeship...

I will take that all day long - thanks

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Don't worry -- you'll get to - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
And THAT my friends, is how the annual coding salary will drop from $48,000 a year to $32,000. See how easy that was? That's what happens when you treat your employees poorly then throw them scraps. You make them grateful for anything you throw their way.
Yeah, $16 an hour sounds good to me too - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I wish I could tell you I was sorry, but I'm not.

You forget we all live in different parts of the country, so $16 for one person is like $8 or $25 for people living elsewhere. That is the REAL issue about why coder wages will go down. Any job that can be done remotely is at risk.

That is the reality, so since this is your wake-up call, good morning to you.
yep. I live in south Alabama. $16/hour is great and that is just - the apprentice pay. Hot diggity dog!
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Same here for me - I live in a blue-collar town in the middle of the desert - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
There's nothing here but a dusty old Air Force base and a missile defense manufacturer - $16 an hour might as well be a million. If I earned that I might even be the richest girl in town!
You do realize that what you guys are saying is exactly what the Indians said - when our pay was driven down... NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Bingo! Truer words were never written. - Skepticaltothemax
[ In Reply To ..]
You too could have made $48,000 a year - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Many coders work remotely, so where you live does not affect it. If you'd only grown a backbone . . . .
And then you'll say "But I really need to work from home" - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
So I'll do it for $10 an hour. And before you know it, you are making minimum wage, stuck in transcription hell,only this time it's called coding. Don't say you weren't warned. Do you not THINK MModal doesn't know what you they are doing? The writing on the wall is so bright it might be written in fluorescent paint.
Does that dusty old AFB have a hospital? - There are HIM jobs there.
[ In Reply To ..]
NM
does the dusty old AFB - have anything to do with aliens?
[ In Reply To ..]
I spent my childhood there.
16 an hour, as an apprentice, as a complete newbie? - Yes please!
[ In Reply To ..]
As opposed to the scenario where I shell out thousands for coding training PLUS work another job full time, with no guarantee of a coding job afterwards. Where is the problem?

As for the argument that the MM training will be inferior to School X, no one knows that for sure. ICD-10 is new to everybody right now.
Here is the thinking error - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
A select few have a skill and can command a high wage. The natural progression of this is that more and more people enter into that lucrative field, which widens the applicant pool, and ultimately leads to lower wages. It is supply and demand. Throw the ability to hire remote workers into the mix and you have the recipe for lowering wages. It is the natural progression of things and to attack people on this board who want this job is misguided, to say the least.

No one is being attacked - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
The idea being attacked is the glee for which people are feeling for being taken advantage of. Coding IS a valuable skill; one that people should be appropriately compensated for.
And a lot of people apparently think $16 hr - is appropriate compensation
[ In Reply To ..]
And, yes, people are being attacked.

I mean if you think being called spineless and a wimp is being attacked, which I do.
A lot of people who have never done coding - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
AHIMA and AAPC would disagree with those people
It's not brain surgery - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I confess, I have never done coding. However, I did work in-house with my cubicle right next to the coders and was friends with them.

They were NOT in the next cubby solving the mysteries of cold fusion. They researched, they applied appropriate codes to the bills. They yelled at the doctors from time to time for being idiots in their documentation. It takes an intelligent human who is proficient at research to do the job. It is working as a date pusher. My husband works as a data pusher with a MASTERS DEGREE and he started out at $22 an hour.

So, someone who has 3 months of training and is working as an apprentice in a position they have never done before making $16/hr is more than fair.

If that's what you think, enjoy coding. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree, I think $16 an hour for an apprentice is fine. However, I take exception with people saying "I'll work that every day of the week". I suspect they will get their wish. That's a lot of stress for $16 a week.
Yeah, there are all kinds of stress - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Like working for $8-10/hr and trying to figure out how to pay the rent and feed your kids, while working full time at a job where you can barely understand the gum chewing, slurring, ESL doc and trying to unmangle the speech wreck. Do you think MTs don't know stress?

I get that coding and MT are NOTHING a like, and hopefully others realize this too before taking the leap. However, coding on its face is no harder and no more stressful than MT, it is merely different and pays more.

So, yup, more competition drives wages down. However, I am not going to turn down an opportunity to almost double my salary because it may reduce yours by a couple of bucks. Sorry your trips to the spa are not my responsibility.

You made $8 to $10 in transcription because you accepted that amount - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Not because that is what a transcriptionist is worth. The same will happen with coding. You are doing it to yourself. Thanks for the example.
I made $15 an hour in transcription, by the way - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I've done both jobs. I agree, they are different but equal in difficulty, however infinitely more stress with coding. No comparison. When a hospital wants their money, they want it now.
Technology did that transcription. - Technology will do it to coding
[ In Reply To ..]
I did not develop VR technology. I did nothing but roll with the punches when they came. The workers never had any control over their pay. What world do you live in?? The MTSOs came to us with VR and said you WILL be paid half of what you used to make.

So, I guess you expected that every single MT should have just quit that day right? You know, because they had the luxury to do that.

If you really believe that the WORKER controls the pay scale of any job, you are delusional.

Any job that can be done remotely and off-shore will see their wages go down. It isn't the little worker drones fault, it is how corporations operate.

No one should sell their soul to work from home - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
There were other jobs. VR didn't make you stay and put up with subpar work conditions. You did that. You CHOSE to put up with that just so you could work from home. My facility has transcriptionists using VR -- they are making $15 an hour. So no, VR isn't entirely to blame. And now I'm done -- say what you will. You have responsibility in being treated badly. You did in transcription and you will in coding. None of us are victims.
There were other jobs? And you know this how? - High Horse Kicker
[ In Reply To ..]
I lived in a small community with 1 hospital. The hospital outsourced to MedQuist. So I went and got a job at a doctor's office, guess what, they went to point and click and fired ALL of us.

The town I lived in had minimum wage jobs and those were hard to come by too.

How dare you sit in judgement of people who you don't have a clue what their lives are or why they had to make certain choices.

Well, no bricks and mortar workplaces near me - are offering this kind of apprenticeship.
[ In Reply To ..]
I am actually tired of working from home and have been looking for outside jobs for a while, so I am not interested in selling my soul to work at home!

If the pay is decent, this is just a damn good opportunity, pure and simple, working at home or not.

Anyway, nobody actually KNOWS what the pay will be. It is all just speculation at this point.
You sat next to coders... - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
so you think you can be a coder?!? It requires a lot more than being proficient at research! Yes, $16/hour is more than fair for 3 months of training and working as an apprentice. HOWEVER, coding is VERY difficult. I am a former MT of 30+ years and now work as a coder and biller. I am extremely detail oriented, but the attention to detail required with coding can be completely overwhelming. Wait until you have to file appeals due to errors made by the insurance companies or, better yet, Medicare. It is an extremely frustrating occupation, especially if you have to do the payment posting and billing portion as well. I look for a new job everyday (just finished applying for one). I wish you the best of luck and hope you like it. Please report back on how easy the transition is for you.
Reading comprehension - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I begin to wonder if people actually read the posts. When I get a response like this one.

I get that coders feel superior to MTs. The barrage of angry coders on this board the last couple of days drove that fact home.

I spent time with the coders as a friend and co-worker, which is what I said. I stand by my statements, coding does not take an Einstein level of intelligence.

Histrionics do seem to be a trait of coders, if the last few days are a measure.
That's a huge reason I don't want to be a coder - - I dont want to have to work with them!
[ In Reply To ..]
I am a coder - I code.
[ In Reply To ..]
I never have had to file any appeals, or post payment or do any billing. That is the billing side which I have nothing to do with, thankfully.
The thinking error is on your end - SM
[ In Reply To ..]
60 new coders aren't going to make a dent in wages.

The certification exams, in particular AHIMA's, have a very low pass rate. That is intentional to keep supply lower than the demand.

Did you read the post I was resonding to??? - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Cuz I agree with you, 60 people who take a training course are not going to destroy the world as we know it. However, if you read through the posts from coders since this announcement from MModal for a coding program, they are flipping out. The sky is falling according to them. It's the beginning of the end of all that was once good and holy in the world of coding.

My post was more about the evolution of coding in years to come, not specifically about this pilot program. Sure, if this coding thing works out for MModal it could potentially drive wages down eventually. But the natural progression is for that anyway because it is something that can be done remotely.

I have also said elsewhere that of those first 60, how many can we really expect to succeed? I would say no more than half. Mainly because a lot of people applying are not well suited to be a coder and don't fully understand how very different the skill set is from MT. And of those who do pass the initial training, how many of them can pass the certification testing?

Maybe 25 of the 60 and that is being optimistic.
Nope. Not flipping out - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
You mistake panic on my part for trying to educate people going into coding, and not knowing what they are getting into, to not sell themselves short. They have been treated so poorly, for so long, that they'll take anything. Of course, if they want to work for peanuts, their employer will let them, but they don't have to. As far as how many can succeed -- transcriptionists are pretty bright. I imagine some will drop out because they don't LIKE coding, but I don't anticipate a huge failure rate. Maybe for the certification exam, but that probably depends on which one they take as well.
You are not "educating" anyone by spreading - inaccuracies.
[ In Reply To ..]
I think that is what you don't get...your gloomy predictions are unfounded.

You can't educate anyone on coding because you don't know coding.

I am a coder - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
It's true, I don't know everything about coding, as I have only been working in the field for a year.
The problem isn't that I'm not a "real enough" coder for you - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
The problem probably is that you've never been a transcriptionist. I just got out of that mess. I know only too well what is going on in both worlds.

So that is pay for training and apprenticeship, but what is day to day - pay when done with training?nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Nobody knows.... - CT
[ In Reply To ..]
It's all purely conjecture at this point. No one knows anything. So, for those who find out next week if they're in, please keep us posted on what to expect. I spoke with a school this morning that I'd used for MT training that partners heavily with MM for MT placement, and they were 1) not aware this was occurring, 2) not aware MM was belly up in debt, and 3) in disbelief anyone would think that they could sufficiently train someone in 3 months part-time to do ICD-10. They said it seemed a bit far reaching...

I'd like to hear from those in the program in a week or two and see how they're feeling about all of it
Thus the reason I am hesitating to test - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I am not sure it is going to be a raging success and they will need to tweak it. The first group could end up sacrificial lambs.
that's certainly your - prerogative nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Is there for certain going to be another group? - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I certainly understand your reasoning, but I would hate to see you miss out.
Maybe, maybe not... - this is a pilot program
[ In Reply To ..]
But hopefully it will be a huge success and there will be many more to come.

Not a coder, but other "corporate" position - @@

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a position similar to coding in that you are paid hourly. I don't know specifically what coders make per hour or if the benefits would be the same. I used to be a transcriptionist and now am paid by the hour and while I get paid a lot less, the benefits more than make up for it. IF the benefits are the same for all hourly employees, you automatically get 5 (I think) holidays off, including the Friday after Thanksgiving, and you get actual sick days apart from PTO. For PTO, the longer you have been here, the more you get. I have topped out at 25 days per year PTO, which does not have to be used for holidays or sick days.

Similar Messages:

Coding Pay Once Apprenticeship Is Over
Mar 11, 2014

This may have come up in one of the hundreds of entries below and I in fact emailed my supervisor with the question but haven't heard back.  The BIG question is how are we paid if we become a coder......piecework or hourly???  That answer was not addressed in this "offer."  Anyone know?  Thanks. ...

Coding Training
Oct 05, 2012

Long time MT wanting to expand into coding to give myself more options.  I would like to know which places offer good training.  Thanks!  ...

Need Advice--Coding Or MTE Training
Jul 09, 2012

Any advice for getting some training in Coding/Billing or MTE training?  I have been unemployed for over a year.  Some schools will allow you to take advantage of the WIA program.  Looking for perhaps some advice on which way to go.  I am almost 57 years old and not sure which direction to head.  Thanks! ...

MM Offering Coding Training
Mar 10, 2014

it says if we qualify we will have three months of training, then spend three months in their apprentice program, and then will be given positions with them as coders.  We then have to work for them for 2 years or pay back for the program.  It doesn't talk about compensation or any certification.  Do you think this is a good idea? ...

MT Considering Coding/billing Training
Mar 13, 2014

I have been an MT for seven years and for the most part do enjoy the work, but find the "feast or famine" nature of the work difficult to make a decent living.  I will soon be divorced and won't have my husband's income to help support the house.  I have been thinking about training for medical coding and/or billing and am looking into different online courses.  I was considering a bundled course at MedicalBillingCourse.com.  Has anyone completed this course an ...

CTC Coding Online Training
Dec 15, 2014

I am looking at various online options and have found CTC through the AAPC website.  I was hoping someone might have some experience or knowledge of this training program that they would be willing to share.  TIA! ...

Coding And Billing Training
Dec 31, 2014

I'm thinking about making the transition from transcription to coding/billing.  What are the best schools to attend?  I have seen many courses online, but not sure which ones are the best.  Thanks! ...

Has Anyone Gone To Heald College For Coding Training?
Nov 02, 2010

I've been going back and forth regarding which school to go to.  I'd prefer to do online training but would still like to have an instructor that I could ask questions of, speak to on the phone, etc.  I live in California in the central valley, anyone who has attended Heald college for coding I would love to hear from them. ...

What Is The Consensus Of The Best Training Program For Coding?
Dec 08, 2010

I am thinking of learning coding and would like to know what is the best training program for coding?  Thanks. ...

Going To Start Training In Coding ASAP
Jul 07, 2013

I am going to start training in coding ASAP.  I have been a transcriptionist for many years in house, and it is time for me to go.  My hospital does not offer tuition assistance for coding.   I need advice.  CCS versus CPC -- which is better paying or is there a difference?  I work with someone with a CPC-A.  Is that apprentice degree something you HAVE to do, because I'd rather avoid that as much as possible.  CareerStep Versus Andrews -- From what I can tell, CareerStep is affilli ...

MT Looking To Take A Course In Either Medical Billing Or Coding To Have Something Else For Training
Feb 25, 2014

I need to make a switch if I should lose my transcription job. Which would you recommend to get into first? Wondering if I should take a medical billing course first which would help me get hired somewhere else and does have a billing background help with coding?? I have a local vocational school that offers a medical billing course but nothing nearby that offers coding. Also I would prefer to do an online course and not sure which one would be the best. I don't want to spend money if ...

To Those In MModal Coding Training Program.
Jun 06, 2014

I was just curious to find out how the MTs are doing that were accepted into the first Coding training program working 20 hours paid training and 20 hours as MT.   I am possibly considering applying if it is offered again and wanted some experienced opinions of those in it.    Thank you! ...

Free Coding Training For Vermont Residents
Jan 17, 2015

See the link below for an article in Health Data Management about free coding training in Vermont.   I don't know anything else about it, or how to contact them or apply, and I have no opinion on whether the program, the company involved, or the associated job offer are good, morally upstanding, free-range vegans, or potentially associated with off-planetizing to venusians in 2243.   I do think anything free is worth trying.  You have nothing to lose.       ...

HIT Training But No Jobs - Should Have Studied Pure Coding
May 11, 2015

We all learn from our mistakes. Some of us just take longer.  After bumbling around for several years with HIT training, etc., it's time to get serious and go for a coding certificate.  What a waste these past several years have been and still not even close to being prepared for a CCS or a job as a coder.  Starting over again but doing it right this time. In order to get a coding job, you need that CCS. The rest was just filling in time and wasting money. ...

If I Start Some Coding Training, Do I Need To Start Learning ICD-9 Or ICD-10?
Jan 09, 2010

nm ...

Hired For Coding/billing/transcription, But Told No Coding
Aug 13, 2013

Accepted a job, gave 2 weeks notice, and yesterday was my first day.  I was to be helping out transcription (1000 jobs behind), and then sitting with billing and training with coding as their coder will be out on maternity leave in December.  The office is adding another surgeon, and they are rapidly expanding.  So I gave a proper 2 weeks' notice to my former employer (2 hours on the road there and back, low salary - now less than half distance and $3 more an hour) and starte ...

Certification In Coding Or AA Degree In Coding??
May 11, 2010

Is there really such a thing as an AA degree in coding?  Sounds odd to me.  Health administration or management, or RHIT I can see, but coding? Is it not better to just become Certified even if you dont have an AA degree? ...

Coding School - Fate Of Coding Due To EMR
Apr 10, 2012

Wondering if there are any coders out there who can give me an idea of the fate of coding due to the EMR. Are there still coding jobs out there? Would it be wise to attend school for coding at this point or do you think it will be lost to the EMR eventually? I live in a rural area and there are advertisements for registered/accredited coders at medical facilities, but I'm afraid of spending all that time and money on schooling only to not be able to find a job. Any information/insight w ...

Coding :: Thinking About Changing From MT To Coding
Oct 07, 2013

I am thinking about changing from MT to coding.  Are there many opportunities to work from home with coding?  What would be a good school to attend? Thank you for the help. ...

Do I Need To Take An Actual Coding Course To Learn Coding?
Feb 26, 2014

My sister is taking an online coding course and complains that there is no real "teaching," that she's basically just doing the work in the work book and entering answers online, then taking an online chapter test.  This makes me wonder about the necessity of signing up for an actual course.  I would like to learn how to code, but to me, without any actual instruction, what's the purpose of signing up for one of these online courses? ...

Coding :: Age Restriction On New Coding Students?
Apr 15, 2014

Anyone know if MM has an age restriction on new coding students? ...

Which Coding Workbook Does Your Coding Program Use
May 20, 2014

Thanks for your response.  ...

Considering Training To Be A MT
Oct 10, 2009

I am considering an online school to learn Medical Transcription.  What does the future look like for upcoming MT's?  With all the medical changes coming, would this be a career to consider?  Thanks for any help! Debbie ...

Training To Be An MT
Nov 15, 2009

I am a mom of 3 boys with a lot of secretarial experience. I have taken several college courses recently including Anatomy&Physiology, Medical Terminology, Medical Transcription and Advanced but cannot find a job. Everyone looks for experience. I am in the process of applying to Everett Community College for their certificate. I would love opinions from current MTs regarding your opinion on beginning this career. Is it still a good option? I hear so many differing opinions on the future. Do ...

Does MQ Pay For Training?
Nov 17, 2009

How long does training takes?  How long do they give you to get up to speed, meaning getting your required lines in.  Do they pay a shift differential? ...

Training Pay?
Jan 25, 2010

Anyone know how long you are supposed to get training pay? Came back to company for some extra $$ and thought I was told this is a 90 day thing, but 2nd paycheck was on production pay though I am still 100% QA? Anyone have any suggestions on this?  I am so confused now. ...

Training-----------Best?
Aug 04, 2010

hello... I'm looking for opinions and advice from MTs as to where I should get my MT training.  Where do most MT companies like their MTs to have their MT training?  Thank you   ...

Still In Training
Jan 29, 2011

I am still in training, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the software and or equipment I could go ahead and purchase to help me get through my training more smoothly.  My dictation at this time is on a CD disk and wondered if a foot petal would help me at this point.  Thanks,   bettyboop ...

Training Someone To Be An MT
Mar 21, 2011

Has anyone tried to train someone else to be an MT on their own, without the courses?  I am a CMT and have 18 years experience - I have a couple family members that would like to learn to become an MT but cannot afford the course.  I am considering trying to train them myself - any suggestions? ...

TT Training
Jun 12, 2011

What is the latest on the training for no pay?  Is is still going to happen?  Did it happen or did TT decided to do the right thing and pay for MTs time?  ...