A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

future of medical coders - kat

Posted: Mar 18, 2013

With Epic coming abroad what is the future for coders. I just signed up to begin coding classes and would like more information before I proceed.

This question was asked and answered - About an inch below

[ In Reply To ..]
See the thread that begins "Epic".

I did not think the question was answered. - Just me

[ In Reply To ..]
After one or two relevant responses that thread got derailed with details of the OP's position, etc.

Now that I have started paying attention I see more and more talk of EMRs that can produce codes based on the information entered into them. I don't think this is the time to enter into a field on the verge of being partially automated.

Yes I know, coding will never be able to be 100% replaced. Neither will MT. That doesn't mean that I would recommend someone start school to learn to become an MT.

Yes I know, there are lots of other jobs in HIT. So why bother getting trained in coding then?

The question has been discussed here repeatedly - About once a week

[ In Reply To ..]
Someone asks the same question you just did about once a week. We answer it. Nay-saying MTs call us fools. As soon as the turmoil dies down, someone appears to ask the same question all over again.

You asked why bother learning coding if EHR software will allow doctors to type words in blanks which will then have codes assigned.

I have two questions for you. First, how is that different from what we have now? Second, do you imagine coding is just copying codes to match words?

I ask that because doctors already do their own coding by checking off diagnoses and procedures on charge tickets. If they do that now and there are still coders, why would software doing it eliminate coders?

Maybe there is more to it than you think?

You also ask why bother learning coding if there are other jobs in HI. Maybe because coding is a good way to enter HI? Because you can continue learning while you have a job in coding and then move into one of those other jobs? Or, how about this . . .because the knowledge base underlying coding is a part of the knowledge required for many of those other jobs and if you don't have that knowledge you can't get the job?

Maybe there is more to that than you think, too?

Maybe you should tell us what you think the job is, then we can address whatever erroneous view you have that is prompting you to think that some software is going to wipe out nearly all of AHIMA, AAPC, ACDIS, and a big chunk of the informatics organizations, because that is basically what you are claiming. Really, it is.

LOL wiped out - Just me
[ In Reply To ..]
No one said that software was going to wipe out "nearly all" of anything. ADHI isn't wiped out for sure. There are lots of MTs out there. I STILL wouldn't recommend anyone go to school to become an MT.

The fact is that present software is going to replace SOME of what is now considered to be the job of a coder. Even if it is just a small part right now the reality is that it will just get larger and larger as software gets smarter and smarter. So why would you recommend someone go to school to get this job? That's like saying how about you pay money to jump on this sinking ship because it isn't going to sink for 10 or 20 more years!

No, the nice thing to do would be to recommend someone go to school for an expanding field, not a contracting one. Why do you think new coders have such trouble finding a job? Because the field has enough workers with experience to fill those jobs that employers do not have to consider those without experience.

I don't ever feel the need to interject when coders are patting themselves on the back for how smart they are and how involved and difficult their job is; I only get irritated when they recommend others jump off the bridge with them.
So, what ARE you planning to do when your job disappears? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
It's great that you're trying to protect people from what you feel are our horrible recommendations, but what ARE you planning to do? What job exactly is immune from technological advances? You must have found one.

You are incorrect in your assumption that new coders have trouble finding a job because there are enough workers with experience. That's your opinion based on your observation of something, but it's a mistaken view.

It amazes me that people who know so little about a field can not only feel qualified to make such incredible pronouncements about it, but argue about it with people who do know.

Surveys of employers have indicated that 30% of coding jobs go unfilled because employers cannot find anyone qualified to fill them. That's what employers complain about . . . 3 out of 10 of their coding jobs sit empty because no coder can be found to fill them.

New coders DO get jobs. Getting appropriate education and credentials goes a long way toward overcoming employer reluctance to hire them.

75% of new coders with only a CPC are hired. AHIMA-credentialed coders fare better.

New coders with NO credentials do poorly. And, of course, people who would be unhirable in ANY field are unhirable in coding, as well.

It's the same as anything else. No field is immune to this. Most fields have WORSE statistics.

And, for your information, I'm standing on solid ground. If you think I'm standing on a bridge, you aren't seeing clearly.

To just me - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't plan to be working in 20 years, let alone 10. You are mistaken about their being enough experienced coders to fill jobs. At one of the facilities in my city, jobs are currently going unfilled because there is a shortage of people with experience, and they won't even consider anyone who has not actively worked as a coder for 2-3 years in addition to having the credentials, that is the reason some new coders can't get hired. It must be nice to have a crystal ball to know what is going to happen in 20 years. If you can name one profession that stays the same forever, we'd all like to know what that is. Where I work, the coding is partially computer generated. All it has done is require more people to fix the mistakes, the same with MT. I've said it before - coding may not be your cup of tea, but for many people it is a perfect fit and a great way to transition out of MT. Sometimes it is necessary to take a clinical documentation job or a billing job to get started, but with that training there are other opportunities. At least those people were not afraid to try.

Similar Messages:

Future Of No More Medical Transcription
Mar 22, 2011

Are you thinking of going into medical transcription for a career? Don't do it! The field is growing smaller every day, and soon will be gone completely. In Alaska, all the major hospitals have gone to voice recognition, and work is scarcer all the time. Look into medical coding maybe, or working in a doctor's office as an assistant or receptionist. DON'T GO INTO MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTION! Liza ...

The Future Of Medical Transcription... Sm
Dec 15, 2011

Now, don't shoot me because this is presented by the AAMT.  Just watch it and consider what our role will be in the coming years in the healtcare profession.  ...

The Future Of Medical Transcription
Sep 05, 2012

What do you feel is the future of the medical transcription profession?  In my area, the hospitals and their doctors' groups are switching over to voice recognition systems and not using traditional medical transcription.  Will I be out of a job soon?      ...

Is There Really Any Future For Newbie Medical Transcriptionists...?
Mar 09, 2010

...especially if we aren't perfect right away and someone like me who has had a home medical transcription job since graduating in September and was let go because I wasn't "perfect" in a month?? Plus, even though I studied my ass off, I failed 2 transcription tests for working with 2 medical transcription services. Please don't slander me about this. I know I'm not the only "newbie" graduated MT that has struggled with fitting in the medical transcription world!!!! ...

Newbie-Future Of Medical Transcriptionists?
Apr 28, 2011

I have gone through and read some of your posts.  I see that Andrews School, MTec, and possibly CareerStep are your top notch schools.  Is there still a need for transcriptionists?  I don't want to go out and spend all this money and not be able to find a job. I would like to be able to work from home as well. What are other's thoughts on this subject?  I have seen several that haven't been able to find a job.  I figured it would take me about 8-12 month ...

RHIT And Medical Coding Future
Oct 09, 2011

Does anyone have good input on whether medical scribes are the new medical transcriptionists only being filled my medical students, medical assistants or a part-time or piecemeal clerk at a lower rate (hourly or by piece) than medical transcriptionists -- if lower pay is even possible? Also, what are any inputs on RHIT and the medical coding future? I already have a bachelor's degree but thought about another associate degree in RHIT in a CAHIIM accredited program. From your viewpoint, wou ...

Future In Medical Coding / Billing
Feb 08, 2012

I have a question about coding and billing.  For three years in the '90s, I coded and transcribed for a small, rural, hospital.  I was responsible for outpatient, ER, inpatient, surgical etc. coding and transcription.  It was mostly ICD-9, and HCPC coding.  If I want to code from home in the future, what would you suggest I do, an online program?  Do you think coding from home would be an opportunity or do most hospitals/clinics/physicians require experience at a facility first, and wo ...

When I Am Hiring Medical Coders
Jun 06, 2015

I have a process that I follow when I am hiring medical coders. It developed over many years, from interviewing many people and finding out who has what it takes to do the job and who doesn't. They must have both CPC and CCS credentials so I know that they have very solid training. I don't consider applicants who graduated from community colleges. Exception: If they have both CPC and CCS credentials, which rarely happens. I know that's blunt, but I'm being truthful. It� ...

Work From Home Medical Coders
Mar 30, 2012

Can anyone tell me if there really are "work from home" medical coder jobs out there similar to how MTs work from home, and if so, what companies hire work from home coders?  I have been an MT for many years and need a change.  I have had formal education for coding (I went to and graduated from a college, not an online school) but have had no luck at all in finding a coding job let alone one that actually allows you to work from home.  Any info would be greatly appreciated. ...

Job Seekers Board For Medical Coders
Jul 21, 2013

Hi I was just wondering if there are any boards with coding jobs listed on here? I know there is the coding and billing forum, but not an actual coding job seeker board?  Any ideas?? Thanks ...

The Future Of MT
Nov 25, 2009

Many have said that MT is not what it once was. Here's a topic: What is/could be the future of medical transcirption?   Diane   ...

MT's Future?
Feb 20, 2010

I was told not to enter the medical transcription field because it was not going to exist in about five or six years. Is this true? I really want a job that is professional and allows me to work at home as well. Thanks ...

The Future Of MT.
Sep 26, 2012

Wondering what thoughts are on this article.  I believe MT is changing but is not a dying profession.  ...

Future Of MTs
Jun 06, 2013

Iâve been doing more research into the future of the MT field and I find that it is morphing into something I do not want to be a part of. Are EMR/EHR really cutting down transcription costs/jobs? If you goggle this you will find a huge disparity of opinion from âgoal being to have no transcriptionists whatsoeverâ at one extreme to âall this new fangled stuff is just some new toys for the kids to play withâ being at the other. Some are on the fence and some are crying itâs a ...

The Future Of MTs - Is There One?
Jan 18, 2014

I am a former MT who is going to school for Health Informatics.  I worked as a transcriptionist for over 20 years.  Two and a half years ago our team was told the organization we worked for was going to voice recognition and our jobs were being phased out which is when I chose to go back to school.  I am writing my final paper on “The Future of Medical Transcription – Is There One?”   I would like to get information from other transcriptionists on this ...

The Future
Mar 19, 2014

Hello to everyone on MTStars. I've been reading all these posts for weeks.  My hospital announced in Jan. that we would get laid off in July b/c they had decided to go with M*Modal.  After everything I have read here you could not beat me with a stick to apply for M*Modal; even though that is what they wanted us to do.  I've come to terms with it.  I am at peace.  I have been transcribing for 16 years, and have made EXCELLENT money, $25-30/hour. If this is the ...

Future Net - Anybody Still There?
May 08, 2014

Anybody still there?  After months of shoving MModal down our throats they just sent an email out on how to fix the spellchecker in the program!  Do you think that should have been done before forcing this on MTs?  Looks like there is no turning back, they are just forcing the issue and you can either make less than minimum wage, WAY less, or take a hike as many of us have been told.  A ton of work in regular SR every day because looks like everyone is in fact leaving but at the same time, m ...

Is This The Future?
May 20, 2014

I am beginning to think that the future with VR and point-and-click plus offshoring means that the work that is remaining will be just a little bit from a bunch of different accounts, meaning we have to navigate through a bunch of different account specs for those MTs left.  My old account went completely offshore, the new account I was transferred to went completely over to Epic and my new assignment has me with 3 accounts and the work is dried up so I will have to ask for more.  The ...

Future
Nov 02, 2014

Recently, I  saw several posts about TSMs being let go, about other things that are changing in the different regions.   Will that be happening across the board I wonder?  Are these changes in place right now?   Thank you for your input. ...

Future Of MT
Mar 25, 2015

Well, just saw a report on my local news that one of the hospitals in my area is trying out the Dragon Medical voice/rec system, where they are doing it directly at the hospital right into the medical record.  Allegedly it is just a pilot program, but it showed the doctor looking at a computer screen and dictating into the machine, and the text would appear directly on the computer.  Then he can read what he said and put it directly into the chart.  Then any doctor in the hospital ...

Is There Really A Future For MT Work?
Feb 03, 2010

I don't mean to start a downer post here, but I sincerely want to know if there is a future for MT work. I see posts by a few who have succeeded, at least somewhat, in the MT world.  However, these are very few.  Then there are those who were happy just to find a job, but a few months later, were let go because of no work.  There are some whom I know to be conscientious workers who were fired out of the blue.  Could this just be the company losing accounts and placing t ...

Future Job Outlook
Feb 09, 2010

I'm currently an MT, wanting to change careers.  In your opinion, what are the chances of coding going the way of MT with outsourcing to foreign countries and/or technology cutting back the number or coders needed? Any opinions would be appreciated.  I'm thinking about starting classes. ...

This Is Actually The Future For Transcriptionists, Sm
Aug 03, 2010

Go to this website.  Transcriptionists will no longer be needed in the future for transcribing or editing.  One of my friends told me the hospital she retired from is going to this system and their transcription department will eventually no longer exist.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGMEf11GmBo ...

TransTech In My Future?
Feb 09, 2011

I'm on the fence and need some advice.  I would like to make a move and I've applied to TransTech, but I think I might want to apply for an in-house position versus at-home position.  I have friends who work at TransTech,  but they are at-home MTs and they don't know how TransTech in-house MTs are set up or even how many there are.  Are there any in-house MTs for TransTech who could tell me why they chose the in-house versus at-home position?  Other than ...

EMR And The Future Of Transcription
Jul 27, 2011

With the president's health care reform he is giving incentives to doctors to switch to EMR.  From what I understand, if doctors have not switched over to EMR by 2014 they will be taxed.  What is the future of our business with this policy?  Especially the big transcription companies like Transcend? ...

The Future Of Coding
Aug 13, 2011

I am currently taking a program taught by a coder in my city.  It is very in depth and I will be able to sit for the CPC when I finish, but I am worried about the future of coding.  I read an article (I can't remember where but was in a health journal of some kind) that in 5 years coding will be mostly computer-assisted, documentation for coding will be 3/4 electronic, and coding staffing levels will be starting to decrease due to technology.  Who agrees with this?  Am I ...

Hope For The Future! Sm
Dec 18, 2011

I just finished typing a patient -   106 years old - NO past medical history, NO past surgical history, completely negative ROS, NO medications at all.  She came into the ER for a tooth abscess!  ...

No Future In This Industry?
Jun 29, 2012

I don't know why I'm posting, just a last bit of hope left in me.  I have devoted my entire adult life to this industry, what I used to consider a career. Over the decades, I became a top-notch professional MT, basically 100% accuracy, never needed QA help, and was a huge producer.   Fast forward 20 years, and I climbed up the ladder in our industry, joining QA, being a team lead, then up into management levels, and.... rather than have my salary 'commensurate with ...

Brighter Future?
Sep 01, 2012

You know, I just stumbled upon this website a week or so ago. Reading some of your post have really opened my eyes as to how lucky I am to have my position. I am semi-new to the MT world. I work for a wonderful company, but it makes me sad to see everyone has to put up with just insane working conditions from other companies.  I hope all of you find companies that realize you are their biggest asset. They cannot make deadlines, or quality goals without the hard work that all of you ...

Mmodal Future
Oct 15, 2012

So everything is going swimmingly for Mmodal - getting better in every way every day -- except, of course, for MT pay. ...