A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Hope for the future! sm - anon

Posted: Dec 18, 2011

I just finished typing a patient -

106 years old - NO past medical history, NO past surgical history, completely negative ROS, NO medications at all.  She came into the ER for a tooth abscess! 

Wow! - wrkn4pnuts

[ In Reply To ..]
She must have taken very good care of herself. An all-negative history is nearly unheard of. My husband once had a hospital roommate in his 70s and that particular hospitalization was his only one. Makes you wonder whether some of the treatment doctors recommend now is really necessary.

I do believe many of the treatments are unnecessary (sm) - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
and perhaps cause more harm than good, are done either to pad the doctor's pocket or to cover his butt from malpractice.

My mother is one who ran to the doctor all the time for anything. She was always given pills or tests, and then had to go back because the pills or tests caused some other symptom. Since she has been homebound and unable to get to a doctors office, she has had the best of health.

To me, doctors and MTSOs are alike. Some MTSOs are now run by suits who only care about the money, some doctors are in it for the money, not a deep-seated need to help humanity as it seemed to be in previous generations of doctors. And do make note I said SOME. I'm sure there are still very dedicated doctors out there somewhere who are devoted to the practice of medicine and healing their patients, but I suspect they'll be retiring in the next 15 to 20 years or are too new to have been corrupted or disenchanted by the pharmaceutical companies and the health insurance industry.

I agree - wrkn4pnuts

[ In Reply To ..]
My dad was, and my mother still is a hypochondriac. Everything any doctor told them was the gospel truth, and they regularly took pills, even for very minor ailments. My mother is 82 years old now and takes 22 pills daily; in comparison, my mother's mother, who lived to be 97, took only pain reliever, and Ambien once in a while. Like you, I believe there are dedicated health care providers out there who really are concerned for their patients, but health care in the United States is a big business that has become ridiculously expensive, and it shouldn't be. I can remember a time when medicine wasn't advertised on television as though it were the latest kids' cereal or candy. The power of suggestion is a very strong influence. Pharmaceutical marketing directors know this and we should too. I believe advertising prescription medicine should be illegal.

Similar Messages:

Used To Hope For Lots Of Work, Now I Hope For NJA Or To Be FIRED
Oct 09, 2013

This job is not worth the trouble.  It certainly does nothing for me when I open the "paycheck" every 2 weeks and see that despite my 40 "power hours" every week, I made less than last time.  No matter what, I cannot manage to make a decent living here any more.  I am over it.  Sad to admit, and yes, the shame is on me, but I do wish for NJA or even better, to be FIRED from this place.  Just had to get this off my chest before I burst into flames of fury at the horrid qu ...

A Little Holiday Message Of Hope (I Hope!)
Dec 10, 2013

Hi, everyone. A year or so ago, I read a message by a former transcriptionist who had gotten into medical school and was at last working as a physician. I'm sure it's still here in the archives somewhere; please forgive me for not digging it up. I remain grateful to that poster to this day. Yes, even if she was making it all up! It still inspired me so much. Last month I began work at only the second job I have ever held outside the MT field. It took me seemingly forever to find it, a ...

Is There Hope For My Pay?
Jul 12, 2010

So... I've been at Medquist for about 6 months - I was a new grad so I only make 0.05 a line (I know, I know, save your comments about that people!). I actually have really good accounts so I never make less than $12 an hour so at least I'm not making minimum wage. But anyway I was wondering if anyone knew what people with a year experience start at and what my hopes are for raises in the future. Surely they can't pay me 0.05 forever, right?? right??? ...

My Last Hope
Aug 18, 2010

He says "I have ordered blood tests to rule out the possibility of an inflammatory edemunothologic condition." Any idea? I'm starting to lose it!!!!!! ...

Is There Any Hope For Me?
Aug 27, 2010

I am no where near as experienced as some MTs even though I have been transcribing for 12 years.  Problem is, I have only done ortho.  When my in-house job went with the service, I went to.  Then my work was offshored, so I moved to a different company, still doing ortho, and making better money, about $40,000 a year.  Now the company has lost that account and I am unable to go with it. I have been switched to an acute care account (clinic work only), doing VR.  Can any ...

Is There Any Hope?
Aug 15, 2011

Hi, I did do as someone suggested and contacted via email Erin Brockovich, but we have to understand her organization does deal mostly with environmental litigation.  I did try and summarize our difficulties and requested if she might direct us to an organization who might help us.  In listing our complaints I found they were too numerous to list, and since we are virtual, I was not clear as to whether we could prove some of my/our accusations.&n ...

There Is Hope MT's!...well For Now
May 02, 2012

Well, just quit Nuance.  Can't believe I made it nearly 2 years, after being at OSi for 5 years.  They sent all my work overseas and there has not been any work there for the past month!  After reading many many posts here I thought MT days were over!  Then a job came up, I replied and for 2 weeks I have been working for a small local company, no VR, you can copy and paste for your lines (instead of it being against "HIPAA policies" per Nuance!) and what...a local Englis ...

There IS Hope!
May 18, 2012

I left an MTSO that started off okay to begin with, but the honeymoon ended shortly after with a barrage of e-mails to speed up, slow down, work more, longer, etc.  I didn't realize how much this all stressed me out until I stumbled upon my new job which is THE most amazing company I've ever worked for! The pay is twice what I was making at my previous place. NO ESL, VR, only straight typing. Most importantly, an amazing caring and understanding TL. I am left alone to do what nee ...

There Is Hope Out There After All
Nov 18, 2012

Got fired from MModal two weeks ago after 12 years with them for not making quite the minimum wage for my state (one of the highest). I was devastated as only needed to hang on for 2 more years before retirement age and afraid I would not get another MT job after being fired for the first time in my life, but also a little relieved as I knew it would force me to find something that pays better, MT or non-MT. I took my daughter and baby to their pediatrician appointment a week ago Friday and got ...

I.N.T.E.G.R.I.T.Y Is Too Much To Hope For
Jun 29, 2014

Too many MTs on an account now that almost all of it is VR and shipped off overseas?  Nuance COULD choose to lay us off (honorably) and eliminate a bunch of sassy MTs that have been around the block too many times to be run off with the trickery and disrespectful planted errors (that actually do compromise patient care and encourage medical malpractice claims).  Honestly. I.N.T.E.G.R.I.T.Y. starts at the top.  Stop lying when you acquire these new clinc MTs. They will NOT all ha ...

There Is Hope
Jun 17, 2015

I am now an ex-Nuance employee and happy to be so. I have found a company (actually 2) that has work available, doesn't demand 4-hour TAT and let's me work the hours I choose without committing to a schedule as long as I do XX number of lines on the days I says I will work. The work I have had thus far has been, for the most part, good dictators, and the QA I have received has been very helpful, not punitive or downright mean, and my pay is punished by it! Keep your heads up and kee ...

I Hope Someone Will See What's Happening To Me
Dec 11, 2009

Do I have options, or just wait until they fire me (why? this is crazy!).  ...

Hope Renewed
Jan 14, 2010

Further down the board regarding TAA someone said they filled out an application online regarding the TAA benefits, and then made an appointment to talk with someone about the situation. Thank you for that information, I feel like I can try again.  I advise anyone to read that post and take a different approach.  As the original poster said, they have no clue how we are paid and it may make a difference, I never thought of that.  One question, where do I find the application? ...

I Hope MQ Eats Up WMX!
Sep 02, 2010

The biggest irony and the best thing we can wish for is that Webmedx gets eat up by Medquist and they lose everything! I was a QA and the editing on those accounts, especially on MModal was ATROCIOUS.  Everytime you went to a new report you had to reset audio. EVERY TIME. Their software is the pits.  It's no wonder they don't have good quality.  The MTs were amazing with the work they did and were able to put out considering the horrible dictators and accounts, atrocious ...

Hope In Sight
Oct 26, 2010

Just wondering if anyone getting unemployment received a letter from their Dept. of Labor. It mentions HCTC (Health Coverage Tax Credit), TRA (trade readjustment allowance and RTAA (reemployment trade adjustment assistance.  The letter mentions that I am a transcriptionist who worked for a named  MTSO and now I may be eligible for retraining. I'm just wondering if the Dept. of Labor is now getting involved with our cause.   ...

A Small Ray Of Hope For MTs
Sep 02, 2011

Recently, one of our local hospitals opened up 4 full time jobs to QA the work they are getting from their vendor.  It seems the doctors were complaining about the quality of their reports.  My hope is that other hospitals as well will see that you get what you pay for and that the lower rates they are demanding followed by the lower rates paid to qualified MTs working for companies like MQ results in the loss of the most qualified MTs and inferior work being produced by less qualified ...

I Sure Hope Nobody Applies To TTD INC.
Apr 14, 2012

Job seekers board. They are offering 3cpl. They should be boycotted. ...

Hope FLOATS!
Sep 13, 2012

Like so many of you, I have sent out countless resumes over the past 3 years, mostly with no response.  The ones who did respond were not worth even giving up my low paying transcription work.  Then something magical happened.  I got laid off in mid June.  I filed for food stamps and unemployment and was assigned to a person in the UE office called a Career Coach.  I met with him weekly for several weeks and he helped me with my resume, coached me thru the inte ...

Glimmer Of Hope
Nov 03, 2012

I put in my resignation from Nuance yesterday :o) I just wanted to share a glimmer of hope with you all. There is a much better life out there beyond Nuance. I was able to find an MT job that is M-F, straight typing only, and pays 11 cpl. It is independent contractor status with a very flexible schedule. No benefits, but I couldn't afford the benefits at Nuance anyway and had to use all my PTO for NSA. I just wanted to encourage everyone to keep looking because there are good jobs out ther ...

There Is Hope For Incentive
Apr 15, 2013

After months of trying, I finally made the incentive bonus.  I have always missed it because of something and to be honest had just really given up, but I have to say that seeing it there made me feel good.  I have no problem with Nuance and never really have.  QA definitely has its moments but I have stuck with them because I love the main account I have and I couldn't ask for a better team leader.  For those of you thinking about coming to them, please realize that the ...

Don't Give Up - There's Hope!
May 24, 2013

I have a small medical transcription service. For years, all of my clients were physicians. With the implementation of the EHR, my business took a nose dive, but I’m now (thankfully and gratefully) beginning to build my client base up again which consists of non-medical clients. How many others have made a successful change like this in their once-only-medical-transcription service? ...

Docs You Hope You Never Have To Go To...
Jan 12, 2015

I have had a dictator who always downgrades whatever pain score someone gives.  For example, he says things like, "The patient says his pain level is 7/10, but I think it is really only a 3."  I have really never heard him agree with a patient's pain score, and I thought the point of pain scores was to find out how the patient was feeling, not how you thought s/he should be feeling.  It's kind of funny, but I would not want him for my physician.  Just wondering if o ...

The Future Of MT
Nov 25, 2009

Many have said that MT is not what it once was. Here's a topic: What is/could be the future of medical transcirption?   Diane   ...

MT's Future?
Feb 20, 2010

I was told not to enter the medical transcription field because it was not going to exist in about five or six years. Is this true? I really want a job that is professional and allows me to work at home as well. Thanks ...

The Future Of MT.
Sep 26, 2012

Wondering what thoughts are on this article.  I believe MT is changing but is not a dying profession.  ...

Future Of MTs
Jun 06, 2013

Iâve been doing more research into the future of the MT field and I find that it is morphing into something I do not want to be a part of. Are EMR/EHR really cutting down transcription costs/jobs? If you goggle this you will find a huge disparity of opinion from âgoal being to have no transcriptionists whatsoeverâ at one extreme to âall this new fangled stuff is just some new toys for the kids to play withâ being at the other. Some are on the fence and some are crying itâs a ...

The Future Of MTs - Is There One?
Jan 18, 2014

I am a former MT who is going to school for Health Informatics.  I worked as a transcriptionist for over 20 years.  Two and a half years ago our team was told the organization we worked for was going to voice recognition and our jobs were being phased out which is when I chose to go back to school.  I am writing my final paper on “The Future of Medical Transcription – Is There One?”   I would like to get information from other transcriptionists on this ...

The Future
Mar 19, 2014

Hello to everyone on MTStars. I've been reading all these posts for weeks.  My hospital announced in Jan. that we would get laid off in July b/c they had decided to go with M*Modal.  After everything I have read here you could not beat me with a stick to apply for M*Modal; even though that is what they wanted us to do.  I've come to terms with it.  I am at peace.  I have been transcribing for 16 years, and have made EXCELLENT money, $25-30/hour. If this is the ...

Future Net - Anybody Still There?
May 08, 2014

Anybody still there?  After months of shoving MModal down our throats they just sent an email out on how to fix the spellchecker in the program!  Do you think that should have been done before forcing this on MTs?  Looks like there is no turning back, they are just forcing the issue and you can either make less than minimum wage, WAY less, or take a hike as many of us have been told.  A ton of work in regular SR every day because looks like everyone is in fact leaving but at the same time, m ...

Is This The Future?
May 20, 2014

I am beginning to think that the future with VR and point-and-click plus offshoring means that the work that is remaining will be just a little bit from a bunch of different accounts, meaning we have to navigate through a bunch of different account specs for those MTs left.  My old account went completely offshore, the new account I was transferred to went completely over to Epic and my new assignment has me with 3 accounts and the work is dried up so I will have to ask for more.  The ...