A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Future of MTs - but I’ve been wrong before

Posted: Jun 06, 2013

Iâve been doing more research into the future of the MT field and I find that it is morphing into something I do not want to be a part of. Are EMR/EHR really cutting down transcription costs/jobs? If you goggle this you will find a huge disparity of opinion from âgoal being to have no transcriptionists whatsoeverâ at one extreme to âall this new fangled stuff is just some new toys for the kids to play withâ being at the other. Some are on the fence and some are crying itâs all about money on Capital Hill. Some feel that the danger here is the transcriptionists are looking for other work and schools are eliminating the transcription programs. But the one I agree with the most is---There is a lot of anxiety within the Medical Transcription industry about the popularity of Speech Recognition and how itâs going to take away our business. There are scores of different accents, and it takes time even for a human transcriptionist to get accustomed to it. And to the untrained ear, the voice would make very little sense. That kind of Speech Recognition technology would take years to develop if at all it does. In my humble opinion, offices, clinics and hospitals will spend a ton of money and time getting set with EHR/SR because of enticing incentives, fear of penalty and the promise of fingertip efficiency. Regardless of the results (that only time will reveal) does anyone really think that they will go back to the way it was? They will make it work for them and them alone and the MTs will be editing their crap until our fingers fall off.

They could have made this work for them in the 90's if they had listend to the MT rather than t - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]
I doubt there is one single person who has any dictators they edit that do not require editing, reformatting and proofing. These are things VR is not capable of.

The ONLY way they can make this work to reduce their costs, but only by about 25% is if the developers create user-friendly platforms rather than ONLY focusing on doctor-friendly. Time is money and there is no way MTs will stick around doing free labor and being forced to sit and wait through long, unpaid pauses.

If only they taught the doctors to use the pause command, our productivity would escalate tremendously, making it more worth our while to stay in the position rather than find another line of work. Very, very simple concept, yet no one who has the power to make these simple changes seems to be able to see it for what it's worth.

I believe if they simply nipped demographic errors and long pauses in the bud, we would be able to edit in 75% of the time it takes to transcribe, bringing a 25% savings. Why this is such a difficult concept is a mystery!

The other easy fix is to enable adjustment of the auto backspace (sm) - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]
If the MTSOs only know how much time it took to relisten to ONE word which should take less than one second. The shortest setting in my platform for autoback space is one full second which is an entire sentence. For something mispronounced, this is a significant waste of time. We need a 1/4 and 1/2 second auto backspace.

Use your keyboard, not your foot pedal - Hotfish

[ In Reply To ..]
You should focus now on being foot pedal free and using your keyboard commands to transcribe in VR. In EditScript, we are told "the best editors live and die by alt+K" and it's true. It took some getting used to, but I'm entirely foot pedal free even for jobs that need to be transcribed and it saves lots of time.
Off topic, but I HATE ALT K and it slows me down - I still use my mouse
[ In Reply To ..]
I use my foot pedal and I use my mouse and I routinely do 400 to 500 lph. I never use Alt K unless I end up at the end of the paragraph by accident. That slowed me down so much it was crazy. I get that it works for some people, but it doesn't work for everyone.
Medical transcription - oliveoil104
[ In Reply To ..]
Foot pedal allows you to control dictation play-back with your feet. You can play, go back, and move on by hitting different segments of the your pedal with the front side of your feet. Its only drawback is some transcription software will work only with a particular type of connector. So for that my advice is keyboard is better.

Medical transcription

Angie - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
You betcha. Truer words were never spoken.

the way I see it - Fatalist

[ In Reply To ..]
the way I see it, the idea that there has to be any transcribed documentation on the chart at all is a myth. There has to be some kind of documentation, of course, but I no longer believe that it's necessary to have an MT to put it there.

I used to think I was providing a valuable service. I no longer think so. But I will continue to do this until I can't anymore. I have nowhere else to go.

well no I think it can all be electronic but someone will always have to process the information. - x

[ In Reply To ..]
x

but probably it will be the doc - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
no they won't go for that. They will come up with a way, on their own to get out of - doing it.
[ In Reply To ..]
doctors spend less than 10 minutes with you in an office visit. THey sure as heck aren't going to start editing their own reports now. They will pull something together on their own. Those that are left will be there to lead the way
but who says this type of documentation - has to be there at all?
[ In Reply To ..]
There is so much other documentation on a chart. Why does everyone think there has to be this narrative, repeating the past medical history and the allergies and the family history all over and over again?

Nope. No going back. Progress is forward even with bumps along the way. - ElectricityVersusGasLamps

[ In Reply To ..]
All of a major hospital network (including clinics) in my state/region are going to EMR/EHR and MTs are being laid off. Sure, until older docs retire, there will be straight transcription jobs, but they're becoming scarce. Eventually, even editing will dwindle as things rapidly and steadily improve. In the last decade, look at the changes! Imagine what 5 or 10 more years will bring.

My own doctor inputs a few items, and my chart note is complete. If she needs a short narrative, she types it in. Takes her all of a few seconds to add anything unique to my EMR. She doesn't have to re-dictate a narrative of my past medical history, family history, etc. It's all in there, only needing quick updates. The system also flags her if she inputs a medication that I'm allergic to, etc. She can quickly access all of my records, including labs, CT scans, hospital stays, etc. Why would she want to go back to waiting for her dictation to come in?

I've used VR 18 years - The improvement is miniscule - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]
I started using VR in about 1995 to give my hands a break. I created specialty dictionaries and put a lot of time into training the program. It still has most of the same limitations. It still can't differentiate between "he" and "she" or "15" and "50" with a fast dictator. It has never. I watched doctors get really excited about this new software, only to have 80% of them return the product and only the techy ones work with it enough to use for dictation. Still these doctors use MTs for their non-standard complex reports.

The developers have had several decades to improve this software, but improvements are still marginal. Until the developers start to communicate with the real users, not just doctors and hospital buyers, they will not make a product that saves a significant amount of time and money. I do understand TAT is improved, but that is from EMR, not VR.

It's catching fire lately. We all lost our jobs to it. - MTRealist

[ In Reply To ..]
Sure there is some way to go, but it's steadily improving! And, like with all technology, improvements speed up. Same with all technology.

They're eager to eliminate the need for MTs... - YetWeEnableThem

[ In Reply To ..]
"In one recent advance, Nuance, the leading company for voice recognition software, has enhanced its Dictaphone Dragon Naturally Speaking Medical version 9 to have 80 different vocabularies, each specific to a division of medicine (such as radiology), to increase accuracy, says Peter Mahoney, VP and general manager of desktop dictation business units for Nuance's Dictaphone division. That unit has some 500 internal speech scientists working to advance the software's accuracy.

Another recent improvement involves increasing accuracy by calibrating the software to "understand" accents, which greatly helps doctors who don't speak English as their native language. The software's accuracy rate is currently 98 percent and rising, according to the company."

I think we as transcriptionists end to have a narrow - view of why EMR is being implemented

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, it cuts down on transcription costs, but that is certainly offset by the initial cost of the software itself. If the EMR is a voice recognition program, then someone is always going to be needed to edit the draft output. No EMR is good enough (or ever will be) to be able to adjust when a doctor says "The patient is a graduate...uh, uh, correction, patient has graduated, uh, uh, correction, patient, uh, correction. The patient does not smoke." Yes, that's a pretty accurate quote from a report I did about 2 nights ago and it's very typical of this particular hospitalist, God help me. No EMR can correct for that. The issue then becomes, does the hospital administration make the doctors edit their own reports or do they continue to have a lower paid MT-type do it. Some places are having their doctors edit their own reports which I think is not cost effective. I learned from a very smart business woman that if you have 2 or more people who are capable of doing the same thing, then you get the lowest paid person to do that, thereby freeing up the higher paid person to do something that only that higher paid person can do. Some facilities are having the doctors edit their own work and then finding out how truly cost ineffective it is and then going back to having an MT do it. That takes time to come to that type of realization, though.

The real appeal of EMR is an all-inclusive medical record that is accessible by any physician in the system. The beauty of that is if I am seeing my endocrinologist today and she orders a thyroid panel and I go to see my PCP next week, he can access the results of the thyroid panel as well as other tests and/or info that the endo has entered into my chart. It theoretically makes for better healthcare, which is the whole point of an EMR.

I have found that voice recognition software (I work in EScription) actually does quite well on the accents and it picks up some stuff that I really would have to work quite hard to figure out if I were doing straight typing. All VR is not the same, though, and it's not all managed the same and some is managed quite poorly, thereby making the editing job that much more difficult for 4 freaking cents a line.

The bottom line is technology is making advances in how healthcare is documented. It's not specifically targeted at transcriptionists, per se, we are just the collateral damage. I continue to believe that there is always going to be a need for someone to edit the output of the VR system. There won't be as large a pool of workers required, as happens with any industry that has technological advances. There also won't be any guarantee that the work available will pay enough to make a living wage at it, which won't happen as long as companies are convinced that 4 cpl is adequate because we can edit 600 lph and still put out accurate records. The market hasn't bottomed out yet because there are just too many transcriptionists out there trying to make a living, which is why we are now seeing offers for 5 cpl for typing. That is pure capitalism. When there's a lot of product (transcriptonists) the price (wages) goes down. When there's not a lot of product, the price goes up.

The world of straight typing is dying out. There will still be some jobs with it here and there, but those will gradually go away and it will all be editing. That's just the evolution of this industry.

I think that - VR

[ In Reply To ..]
would actually work quite well if someone could enforce dictators using it correctly, at least well enough so they could eliminate another 75% of proofreaders. Very surprising that hospital bean counters haven't seriously made an effort to enforce this since they have obviously invested so much in the software.

Problem: narrow-minded bean counters not consulting bean producers for the answers only we have. (nm - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]

One more perspective on the future of MT. - see msg and link

[ In Reply To ..]
http://blog.nemtinc.com/?p=723

The thing is, there will always be a need for documentation. Now whether or not 100% of medical facilities will use a program such as Epic in the future, no longer requiring MTs, that is the big question. In my neck of the woods, the major clinics and hospitals do not use MTs - my doctor in fact states he "misses the MTs" as he hates doing all of this documentation himself. They use Epic and are doing 100% of their own documentation. The hospitals in my area use mostly scribes, along with Epic. I saw one ad for an MT in my city at a hospital in which the pay was starting at about 12 bucks an hour - pitiful - I made 12.50/hour back in 1998 fresh out of school. The future of MT is really hard to predict, but there is no shortage of people trying to do just that.

Same here and with all of my family/friends. Docs are using EPIC and/or scribes. - MTVet

[ In Reply To ..]
An Epic trainer told me that they have already implemented the program in about 30 hospitals and are moving through my state right now. This includes all of the affiliated clinics. The trainer told me that his company also provides scribes, who are all medical students. They don't hire MTs. Not looking too bright for transcriptionists.

Please get the definition of medical student straight - They have no time for scribe jobs

[ In Reply To ..]
There is a lot of confusion about what a "medical student" is. Loads of college kids claim to be med students because they are taking pre-med courses. They are pre-med students, at most. They are not med students.

This is important because you all here keep spouting that medical students get scribe jobs. Medical students do not have time for outside work like that. They go to class all day and study all evening. Medical students are also not college students. They are college graduates attending a professional school. They don't work.

The students scribe companies hire are PRE-med and nursing students. Those are college kids. They are willing to work for peanuts to get in a hospital door. It is better than the burger industry, which is all they are qualified for otherwise.

Epic and the scribe companies are feeding you a line of you-know-what. They have been misrepresenting their products and services all along, just like EHR providers misrepresent its capabilities.

You might find this link enjoyable. It is pretty much accurate.

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2010/11/scribes-lead-unintended-consequences-electronic-medical-records.html

Similar Messages:

The Future Of MT
Nov 25, 2009

Many have said that MT is not what it once was. Here's a topic: What is/could be the future of medical transcirption?   Diane   ...

MT's Future?
Feb 20, 2010

I was told not to enter the medical transcription field because it was not going to exist in about five or six years. Is this true? I really want a job that is professional and allows me to work at home as well. Thanks ...

The Future Of MT.
Sep 26, 2012

Wondering what thoughts are on this article.  I believe MT is changing but is not a dying profession.  ...

The Future Of MTs - Is There One?
Jan 18, 2014

I am a former MT who is going to school for Health Informatics.  I worked as a transcriptionist for over 20 years.  Two and a half years ago our team was told the organization we worked for was going to voice recognition and our jobs were being phased out which is when I chose to go back to school.  I am writing my final paper on “The Future of Medical Transcription – Is There One?”   I would like to get information from other transcriptionists on this ...

The Future
Mar 19, 2014

Hello to everyone on MTStars. I've been reading all these posts for weeks.  My hospital announced in Jan. that we would get laid off in July b/c they had decided to go with M*Modal.  After everything I have read here you could not beat me with a stick to apply for M*Modal; even though that is what they wanted us to do.  I've come to terms with it.  I am at peace.  I have been transcribing for 16 years, and have made EXCELLENT money, $25-30/hour. If this is the ...

Future Net - Anybody Still There?
May 08, 2014

Anybody still there?  After months of shoving MModal down our throats they just sent an email out on how to fix the spellchecker in the program!  Do you think that should have been done before forcing this on MTs?  Looks like there is no turning back, they are just forcing the issue and you can either make less than minimum wage, WAY less, or take a hike as many of us have been told.  A ton of work in regular SR every day because looks like everyone is in fact leaving but at the same time, m ...

Is This The Future?
May 20, 2014

I am beginning to think that the future with VR and point-and-click plus offshoring means that the work that is remaining will be just a little bit from a bunch of different accounts, meaning we have to navigate through a bunch of different account specs for those MTs left.  My old account went completely offshore, the new account I was transferred to went completely over to Epic and my new assignment has me with 3 accounts and the work is dried up so I will have to ask for more.  The ...

Future
Nov 02, 2014

Recently, I  saw several posts about TSMs being let go, about other things that are changing in the different regions.   Will that be happening across the board I wonder?  Are these changes in place right now?   Thank you for your input. ...

Future Of MT
Mar 25, 2015

Well, just saw a report on my local news that one of the hospitals in my area is trying out the Dragon Medical voice/rec system, where they are doing it directly at the hospital right into the medical record.  Allegedly it is just a pilot program, but it showed the doctor looking at a computer screen and dictating into the machine, and the text would appear directly on the computer.  Then he can read what he said and put it directly into the chart.  Then any doctor in the hospital ...

Is There Really A Future For MT Work?
Feb 03, 2010

I don't mean to start a downer post here, but I sincerely want to know if there is a future for MT work. I see posts by a few who have succeeded, at least somewhat, in the MT world.  However, these are very few.  Then there are those who were happy just to find a job, but a few months later, were let go because of no work.  There are some whom I know to be conscientious workers who were fired out of the blue.  Could this just be the company losing accounts and placing t ...

Future Job Outlook
Feb 09, 2010

I'm currently an MT, wanting to change careers.  In your opinion, what are the chances of coding going the way of MT with outsourcing to foreign countries and/or technology cutting back the number or coders needed? Any opinions would be appreciated.  I'm thinking about starting classes. ...

This Is Actually The Future For Transcriptionists, Sm
Aug 03, 2010

Go to this website.  Transcriptionists will no longer be needed in the future for transcribing or editing.  One of my friends told me the hospital she retired from is going to this system and their transcription department will eventually no longer exist.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGMEf11GmBo ...

TransTech In My Future?
Feb 09, 2011

I'm on the fence and need some advice.  I would like to make a move and I've applied to TransTech, but I think I might want to apply for an in-house position versus at-home position.  I have friends who work at TransTech,  but they are at-home MTs and they don't know how TransTech in-house MTs are set up or even how many there are.  Are there any in-house MTs for TransTech who could tell me why they chose the in-house versus at-home position?  Other than ...

EMR And The Future Of Transcription
Jul 27, 2011

With the president's health care reform he is giving incentives to doctors to switch to EMR.  From what I understand, if doctors have not switched over to EMR by 2014 they will be taxed.  What is the future of our business with this policy?  Especially the big transcription companies like Transcend? ...

The Future Of Coding
Aug 13, 2011

I am currently taking a program taught by a coder in my city.  It is very in depth and I will be able to sit for the CPC when I finish, but I am worried about the future of coding.  I read an article (I can't remember where but was in a health journal of some kind) that in 5 years coding will be mostly computer-assisted, documentation for coding will be 3/4 electronic, and coding staffing levels will be starting to decrease due to technology.  Who agrees with this?  Am I ...

Hope For The Future! Sm
Dec 18, 2011

I just finished typing a patient -   106 years old - NO past medical history, NO past surgical history, completely negative ROS, NO medications at all.  She came into the ER for a tooth abscess!  ...

No Future In This Industry?
Jun 29, 2012

I don't know why I'm posting, just a last bit of hope left in me.  I have devoted my entire adult life to this industry, what I used to consider a career. Over the decades, I became a top-notch professional MT, basically 100% accuracy, never needed QA help, and was a huge producer.   Fast forward 20 years, and I climbed up the ladder in our industry, joining QA, being a team lead, then up into management levels, and.... rather than have my salary 'commensurate with ...

Brighter Future?
Sep 01, 2012

You know, I just stumbled upon this website a week or so ago. Reading some of your post have really opened my eyes as to how lucky I am to have my position. I am semi-new to the MT world. I work for a wonderful company, but it makes me sad to see everyone has to put up with just insane working conditions from other companies.  I hope all of you find companies that realize you are their biggest asset. They cannot make deadlines, or quality goals without the hard work that all of you ...

Mmodal Future
Oct 15, 2012

So everything is going swimmingly for Mmodal - getting better in every way every day -- except, of course, for MT pay. ...

Future Of MT Redux
Feb 05, 2013

Hello, all! I am a new MT searching for my first job in the field. Just about a year ago, this forum was discussing EPIC, EMTs, technology and policies negatively impacting the medical transcriptionist.  What has your experience been? Any new thoughts concerning the future of MT? If you have a job, is it being impacted negatively, if at all? I'd love to hear from the job-hunters as well. Thanks. ...

Nuance's Future
Mar 10, 2013

....that says that Nuance is not doing well. It's stocks are down and they are losing accounts to more advanced speech technology. It also goes to say that there is a possibility that Nuance will be sold.     ...

To MTSOs, What Does The Future Look Like To You? Sm
Apr 16, 2013

Wondering what you small MTSO companies have lined up for the future?  We have discussed what MTs are possibly switching to in the near future and now I wonder if all of these small MTSO companies that might be making a good living now have a backup plan for when it all dries up?  ...

The Future Of Transcription
May 07, 2013

I had to take my two kids to the doctor the other day.  Thought I was lucky, because there were only 2 people in front of us, but it was TWO HOURS before we were called back.  Once I got back there, I saw why.  When the nurse came in to ask the pre-visit questions, she asked a MILLION questions and entered them all into her laptop, typing out what we said (typed VERY slow, by the way) and we were just on HER portion for over 45 minutes.  Then, the doctor came in and saw the kids and she spen ...

Coding Future
Jul 11, 2013

I am thinking about going back to school to get into another profession.  Coding is popular with MTs.  I am really afraid that coding will be going down the same road transcription has.  I am hearing things now with coding as I heard less than 10 years ago with transcription, i.e. off shoring, technology etc.  Does anyone have any helpful info about the coding field and what the future outlook is?  I have gone to websites to try to find this info and nothing seems helpfu ...

Future Ad For Transcriptionists
Mar 31, 2014

Ok, I am just venting some frustration here   Wanted: Experienced medical transcriptionist, VR experience.  Just for the privilege of doing transcription for us we will only charge you 3 cpl.  You may pay us by direct deposit each Friday.  The personal satisfaction you will receiving from being a part of making our company succeed and be profitable, along with satisfying the facility you are striving to put out perfect reports for should be enough for you, as we are t ...

Future Net At Diamond Bar
May 23, 2014

Does anyone know what is going on there now?  Looked like all the work was being forced into MModal and they ended up a couple days behind in their TAT.  Now the work looks like it is being fed back into regular typing and SR.  Just stringing the MTs along until they find enough newbies for MM maybe?  Sure do not trust them.  BTW the tone of the emails really changed after some posts here on this board described the beatings and nastigrams they were sending out. ...

Future Net SR/MModal
Aug 15, 2014

Has anyone used the new FNSR MModal platform?  Any thoughts?  Reportedly they are transferring the work from the prior MModal platform to one of their own at a rapid pace.  They could not be doing this unless someone is using it so curious who is using it and how it compares to the web based EHR program they are also still using for regular speech rec work. ...

Future Net Diamond Bar Again
Aug 27, 2014

Is anybody using the FNSR platform?  They were supposed to be getting away from the Mmodal platform to one of their own but there is no word on how that FNSR platform is going.  Go figure.  If anyone IS using it, what can you tell the rest of us? ...

The Future Of Coding?
Mar 31, 2015

So I am currently an MT with 10+ years under my belt. I decided to go to school for coding and switch careers while I still had the chance. I am currently saving up for school, and my tax refund is going to put me over the top so I can start next month. But now I am reading (on this board) about the possibility that coding is going to start going the way of transcription (i.e., automation, computerized coding, etc.) and that coding jobs are going to start losing value just as MT jobs have lost t ...

Future Net - Info On This Company?
Oct 15, 2009

Any info on this company?  Pay?  Platform?  Any work there?  Any info appreciated...:) ...