A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is there really any future for newbie medical transcriptionists...? - KAK

Posted: Mar 09, 2010

...especially if we aren't perfect right away and someone like me who has had a home medical transcription job since graduating in September and was let go because I wasn't "perfect" in a month?? Plus, even though I studied my ass off, I failed 2 transcription tests for working with 2 medical transcription services.

Please don't slander me about this. I know I'm not the only "newbie" graduated MT that has struggled with fitting in the medical transcription world!!!!

Newbie doubts - Jeannie

[ In Reply To ..]
I am about to finish my course & I will be applying for a position. I'm wondering if I wasted my time and money on the MT course.

Jeannie - Old MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
Jeannie, what course did you take and why would think you wasted your money?

Newbie doubts - Frustrated

[ In Reply To ..]
I have asked myself the same question, and as of now I would have to say yes, it's a waste! I finished the MT course almost a year ago and can't get a job because I have no experience! How can you get experience if no one is willing to hire you!?

future - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
there is a future, but it is much different than what the schools would like you to believe. It is not lucrative like it once was. The MTSOs have reduced the wages and work beyond recognition. There are at least a few hours that I make minimum wage, many more hours that I am making around $10/hour. There are now some days that I do not have any work (and I'm not talking about day around major holidays!). There are days when all I get is the worst of the worst charts that people in India will probably never be able to produce even with 2 Indian QA people following them on it. There are still a few people out there with extenuating circumstances (stable accounts, good volume of work, great support) who are still making good money. Unfortunately they are few and far in between. The majority of us are really hurting right now. Although I try to be positive and grateful even for the situation I have at the moment, which is having a JOB at all, it is very difficult on some days. I am so disillusioned with this industry and what it has become.

Just an observation - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
You state that "There are still a few people out there with extenuating circumstances who are still making good money." Just curious what a "few" means, and how you could really know how many people are doing well in MT versus not doing well. I think there are actually QUITE a few doing well. Those that are not are naturally more vocal and probably post more on these boards. But it doesn't give a clear picture of what is really going on out there, although obviously there are more unhappy MTs now than there used to be. But to say the "majority" are really hurting - what do you base that on? It's may be your feeling, but is it fair to throw statements like that out to newbies as if they are fact?

LK - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I should have said there are still a few people who are doing well working for big nationals. It doesn't take a genius to see the GENERAL decline in this industry, big nationals leading the way, smaller ones being bought out every day, hospitals outsourcing and switching to EPIC and on and on.....

I strongly feel a newbie should know what obstacles they MAY be up against before spending money on a MT course or blaming themselves or feeling inadequate because they can't get a job right out of school. Why not go into a field that has more of a promising future than what many of us are facing at the moment? Newbies need to have the good and the bad. Unfortunately, everything I have seen in my 12 years in this field has been trending to the bad side from an employee point of view.

LK, if you are happy with your company, I'm happy for you. I hope it lasts.
Newbie & prowling - Nolegirl
[ In Reply To ..]
I am searching also, as I just graduated from CS late Feb. Anyone know of companies that ARE hiring newbies straight out-of-the box? Have actually had some emails to set up phone conferences.... Is it better to specify specialty?

Same thing - MTJ

[ In Reply To ..]
I experienced the same thing.

It is too bad that the schools would prefer to lie, just to get a buck, then to tell the reality of the situation.

I was also let go.

That's because some schools take everyone and not everyone is suited for MT - Just my opinion

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

that's NOT it. The reason is that today only 1% of newbies get hired. - blah !

[ In Reply To ..]
Some might say prospective MTs with no strong background in grammar and spelling might not be suited for it.

I have to say that grammar and spelling - we learn the spelling of medical terminology in MT schools, anyways - are more or less repetitive. It does not ask for a grammar genius to master medical transcription.
And we learn on the job!

A typing speed of 60 wpm suffice, since to meet the production demands of the employers, sooner or later EXPANDERS are an absolute necessity to meet the line demand.

What else classifies a prospective MT who wants to enter an MT school for NOT being qualified to do this job?

It is not rocket science, ya know!

Answers, please.
Strongly disagree - LK
[ In Reply To ..]
Grammar, spelling,and English usage skills are much like math skills - you have an aptitude, or you don't. I'm not great at math, and I would never consider pursuing a career that relies heavily on an innate ability to work with numbers. I don't have it, and no amount of repetition is going to give it to me.

Top-notch usage and grammar ability is absolutely essential to be a good MT, and if you don't have that innate ability, you will face an uphill battle, and in this difficult and competitive environment, you will most likely fail. If you think you can learn grammar and spelling while working on the job as an MT, you are sorely mistaken.

I am appalled by the grammar and spelling errors that I see some MTs make. They obviously don't even know they're doing it. These are the MTs that will be washed out of the field as MT jobs continue to tighten up. So please don't delude yourself that you can learn grammar and spelling on the job.

I was not talking about myself, my grammar and spelling - swelled head?
[ In Reply To ..]
are excellent, from time to time I make a typo, like everybody, AND I have a job! Not everybody who posts on the New MT board is jobless, this is another misconception by you.

You obviously are from the old school.
What about verbatim accounts, where we have to type verbatim, so this so called "innate" ability for syntax etc... falls short, anyways.

We are learning on the jobs this is called HAVING EXPERIENCE. What else?

Don't delude yourself that an MT is a genius! Do you think you are a genius at grammar and spelling?

We are English Language Experts, not geniuses.
Do you think that every bilingual person is a genius with exceptional talents?

It is repetitive work, therefore the usage of EXPANDERS.

The biggest hurdle for newbies to land a job is the abundant availability of MTs and the shrinking number of jobs.

Please do not answer since you will never be able to convince me that I am a genius doing MTing.
My point wasn't to offend you. - LK
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't understand your defensiveness. My response had nothing to do with your abilities as an MT, and I don't believe the word genius appeared anywhere in my post. I just didn't agree with the statement you made about the importance of grammar to success as an MT. It wasn't personal. It amazes me sometimes how touchy people can be on these boards.

By the way, I make typos and mistakes, too. I am not an MT genius. I do agree with you that the biggest obstacle to jobs for newbies is too many MTs for too few jobs. But that is the exact environment that will wash out those whose skills are lacking, hence my point.
I disagree with the 2nd sentence in your statement...see inside - for LK
[ In Reply To ..]
I quote:

"I do agree with you that the biggest obstacle to jobs for newbies is too many MTs for too few jobs.

But that is the exact environment that will wash out those whose skills are lacking, hence my point."

Many companies do not even give newbies the chance to apply and participate in the skill assessment tests by posting:

"No newbies, please,"

stereotyping new MTs.

Some let them go through all the application process, then telling them, "although you have done well on your tests, we do not hire newbies at this time.." (I would wonder what "at this time" means, maybe decades?) or do not reply at all.

We read this over and over on the boards.

Not all newbies are failing but you don't hear from the ones who are working - That is my point
[ In Reply To ..]
The ones who are working are not on here posting that they can't get a job, are they? Of course they aren't. There have always been a certain amount of newbies who can't make a go of MT. There still are. There are lots of reasons. At the same time, others are doing well.

I agree with LK that the MTs who are not as good as they think they are, my words not hers, are being washed out as we speak. It isn't always their fault, but much of the time it is.
there are lots of newbies who are not given a chance to prove themselves - system
[ In Reply To ..]
and are falling through the cracks, and we do not hear from them either.
What is considered to be a newbie? Anyone? Regardless of training and/or aptitude? - Just Wondering
[ In Reply To ..]
If you've ever done MT recruiting, you know what I mean. You get applications from people who studied medical terminology and now they are an MT newbie. You get others who finished an MT course but can't type, but they are an MT newbie wondering why nobody will give them a chance. Then you have the ones who took the courses with those worthless fake dictated reports that are popular in many colleges these days. We could go on and on.

So my question to all of you is, what is a newbie? What qualifies one to be credible when they say they are a newbie and nobody will give them a chance?
A newbie is a person who graduated from an - newbie
[ In Reply To ..]
MT training school, passed the final exam, got a certificate, and is looking for a job.

If, and the majority of newbies fall into this category, as I hear, a newbie does not land a job within 6 months, then employers degrade her to a "rusty" newbie.

What do you mean when you say, "they cannot type?" Based on what do you determine that "they cannot type?"

Or do you confuse this with a bad recorded audio?
What I'm basing my question on - Just Wondering
[ In Reply To ..]
When I say, "they cannot type" I mean I know a couple of people who call themselves MT newbies even though they can't type. I wonder if they qualify for that title of MT newbie. It doesn't make sense to me.
I agree with you. Way too many MTs, old and new, who don't have prerequisite skills - Experienced MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I know MTs with years of experience who do a pathetic job but don't know it. They are losing work now because it is tightening up out there.

The best MTs, whether they are brand new or have years of experience, are already getting the best jobs, and keeping them. Some have more work than they can do and the others are wondering what happened. Some realize that they haven't grown with the job and have either decided to do something about it or do something else.

The best prepared are getting and keeping the best jobs.
"I've always done it that way" doesn't mean it's right. - deb
[ In Reply To ..]
I definitely agree with you. That's another reason so much work is going overseas. As a friend of mine said, "If you're going to get crap, you might as well get cheap crap." People who don't know whether to use "to, too, or two" think it doesn't matter, because "those aren't medical words." Get real!
I couldn't agree with you more. Good points. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
for deb: see inside - huh?
[ In Reply To ..]
from your post:

"People who don't know whether to use "to, too, or two" think it doesn't matter, because "those aren't medical words." Get real!"

I doubt that people who cannot distinguish between to, too and two, have a high school diploma to begin with.
This one learns in 3rd grade!

Get real!

These are the newbies that spoil every chance for very able and qualified newbies to get hired, because they put all newbies in such a bad light.

Schools should grammar- and spelling-test people before they are allowed to start an MT education. Grammar and spelling are not taught in MT schools. but they do not give grammar- and spelling-test, they take everybody since they want only the MONEY.

There should be statistics available how many flunk out of MT schools before getting a diploma.

true, every course one wants to take has PRE-REQUIREMENTS - MT schools
[ In Reply To ..]
to enroll in MT schools it should be

high school diploma
Ability to type 45-60 wpm
high school level of grammar and spelling

These should be tested as pre-requirement for enrollment.

I did have to pass a grammar and spelling test - prior to entering MT program
[ In Reply To ..]
I also had to pass a 40 wpm typing test before entering program, and of course a high school diploma.

I also had to take a typing class and pass a 60 wpm before completing the course.

I had an extensive course; anatomy, physiology, body and disease, pharm and lab, ethics and law, psychology, had 2 terminology classes with memorizing 3000 terms each semester and I still knew nothing when I got out in the real MT world. Also did clinicals, where I had to work 40 hours a week for 8 weeks (for free) in an MT facility that I had to find on my own.

I wonder how much training current newbies get.
You mentioned lots of things but you didn't say what kind of transcription training you got - See message
[ In Reply To ..]
What kind of actual transcription training did you get aside from the memorizing terms, etc. that you mentioned? Was it actual medical reports dictated by a real physician? How much of it did you do while you were in school, before you went into your clinicals?
You would be amazed how many people don't even have 3rd grade grammar. - deb
[ In Reply To ..]
They don't know plural from possessive and use apostrophes everywhere. They don't know they're, there, and their. And they type whatever they THINK they hear, whether it makes any sense or not. It's disgusting, and it does make it hard for newbies who are good at not only grammar and spelling, but actually understand what it is they're typing about and don't just spit out garbage to get the lines.
How can people like that keep their jobs? Aren't they fired? - grammar
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Yes they are. See post on the Main Board about why some MTs are losing work - Skills Do Matter After All
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm amazed at people who have no grammar skills at all but have been 'getting by' for years in spite of it. Now things are tightening up and it turns out that skills do matter.
companies can give audios as transcription tests - faulty audios
[ In Reply To ..]
that are so badly recorded that all applicants fail, not out of their inexperience or not having the "it" factor!

the belief that one is either talented in - not true anymore
[ In Reply To ..]
languages or math has been, through studies, proved to be wrong.

There are lots of people that are talented in both, especially left handed persons.
It was never true - LK
[ In Reply To ..]
Of course there are people talented in both math and language skills; I have a daughter who is. My statement was just that I don't consider myself to have an aptitude for math, so I wouldn't pursue a career where really strong math ability is necessary. It's all about finding a career that capitalizes on your strengths, whatever they may be. If you don't have a strong natural ability for language, MT is not going to be the best fit.
I do not think that one needs to be talented in - huh?
[ In Reply To ..]
grasping a foreign language to be able to memorize the medical transcription terminology.

This asks for a total different skill than mastering a living foreign language!
Huh is right! - LK
[ In Reply To ..]
I said ability for language, as in use of the English language. I never said foreign languages. You interpret things in a very unique way. You seem to be a very creative person.

Doesn't this mean the same? If somebody - huh
[ In Reply To ..]
has a talent and feel for the English language, he will also be good at learning other languages.

On the other hand, somebody who is not good in languages, can be good in memorizing words that have their roots in the Greek or Latin language.
Huh? - me
[ In Reply To ..]
Mais pourquoi?
parce que...one learns only words, mostly nouns, - lol
[ In Reply To ..]
no sentence structure, no syntax, no grammar, just a lot of words.
Parce que - sans nom
[ In Reply To ..]
Il faut que nous parlions en francais, alors?
mais non, pourquoi? Peut etre tu ne comprend pas - are you French?
[ In Reply To ..]
qu'est ce que je veux dire?

I am better in German than in French.

Salut!

nobody listens to us anyway: if we say NO we are the "boogie man" - boogie man

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

we are advised NOT to post DIScouraging comments to newbies - questions?

[ In Reply To ..]
and prospective MTs to start MTing education.

The future - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
Nobody knows what the future holds. It is a tight job market in MT right now, and that's a fact. Since there are many unemployed MTs and many MTs that would like to change companies, that leaves very little room for newbies. It could get better in the future, as the recession is playing some role here.

Nobody can expect you to be "perfect" right out of school, it ain't happening. It's possible that the company just decided it didn't want to train a newbie and may have had nothing to do with you personally. Regarding failing 2 transcription tests, that can happen even to experienced MTs. I wouldn't take it personally if you feel you have what it takes to be an MT. If you want to do this, you are going to have to work very hard to find a job and know that it could take a while. If you are persistent and have the native talent and decent training, you will eventually land a job.

the main obstacle for MTs today is the turmoil in the MT industry - jobs

[ In Reply To ..]
caused by the invention of new technology and the aim of software vendors to convince clients to buy and apply it.

This causes an extreme standstill in hiring newbies since the clients themselves do not know which way to go.

There is no "standstill" for all newbies. That's an overgeneralization - Some have fallen through the cracks

[ In Reply To ..]
There have always been changes and always will be. We always lose some people and gain some new ones who have a fresh outlook and don't mind doing things a different way.
at a ratio 10,000 USMTs : 1 US MTs, reciprocate to offshored MTs - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
What's the name of your MT school?
Where did that statistic come from? - Not That New MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Where did you get those numbers?

Newbie - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree, I am in my externship and perseverance and hard work has landed me a part time job. It is a tough economy, I have been laid off for two years and have been looking to get out of the law field, so I am taking the partime position to gain the experience so I can make myself more marketable in this competitive field and competition out there. I would agree that you need not give up, if this is what you want to do, pursue it with all your might and never give up, take a part time position, even a parttime parttime job, you will eventually gain the experience they are asking for, don't give up.

KAK - Old MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
If you were an employee of mine and used that kind of language at work, I would let you go. Professionalism counts and vulgar language does not impress.

I don't think anyone was expecting you to be perfect. - That is not the whole story here

[ In Reply To ..]
Nobody is let go because they aren't perfect. If we had to be perfect, none of us would have jobs. There is a standard though and if we fall short of that standard, someone else gets that work instead of us. You may want to work on your skills and try again.

Newbie too - MTTMA

[ In Reply To ..]
I know. I had the exact same thing happen to me. I graduated from Career Step. I got on with 2 companies: BOTH of those companies; I passed the test to get hired! I was let go after 2 months for not being "perfect". I thought I did pretty good AND would have done better if these companies gave me 6 months to learn!
I did every thing I could to study and fit in and it didn't work for me. I am seriously considering going back to another school to become a medical assistant. I am sure it would be easier to find a job as an MA than an MT.
I do wish you luck in finding some job that will work for me. I am going to keep trying something else.

Similar Messages:

Newbie-Future Of Medical Transcriptionists?
Apr 28, 2011

I have gone through and read some of your posts.  I see that Andrews School, MTec, and possibly CareerStep are your top notch schools.  Is there still a need for transcriptionists?  I don't want to go out and spend all this money and not be able to find a job. I would like to be able to work from home as well. What are other's thoughts on this subject?  I have seen several that haven't been able to find a job.  I figured it would take me about 8-12 month ...

This Is Actually The Future For Transcriptionists, Sm
Aug 03, 2010

Go to this website.  Transcriptionists will no longer be needed in the future for transcribing or editing.  One of my friends told me the hospital she retired from is going to this system and their transcription department will eventually no longer exist.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGMEf11GmBo ...

Future Ad For Transcriptionists
Mar 31, 2014

Ok, I am just venting some frustration here   Wanted: Experienced medical transcriptionist, VR experience.  Just for the privilege of doing transcription for us we will only charge you 3 cpl.  You may pay us by direct deposit each Friday.  The personal satisfaction you will receiving from being a part of making our company succeed and be profitable, along with satisfying the facility you are striving to put out perfect reports for should be enough for you, as we are t ...

Nurse Medical Transcriptionists ??
Jun 26, 2011

I came across an ad recently catering to unemployed new registered nurses who need jobs badly. I am understanding that the market for RNs and healthcare in general is saturated and then some; however, this article specifically stated "Nurse Medical Transcriptionists." I saw it on All Nurses forum; I don't remember the company . . . BUT a lot of nurses were responding with interest because they can't get jobs. The only thing that was running through my mind was "you have no idea people ...

Are There Any Jobs Out Their For New Medical Transcriptionists?
Sep 16, 2010

I've recently graduated with an Associate of Applied Science degree and I received my Certificate in Medical Transcription. I've taken several tests for companies over the Internet but they all say the same thing in response to me, "gain more experience, and then come back to us." How can I gain more experience when no one will hire a newbie? If anyone has any advice on this subject, please let me know. ...

Pay Type For Medical Transcriptionists
Jan 25, 2011

Why do medical transcriptionists have to be paid by line.  Who started that?  Why can't they be paid per hour like other jobs?     ...

Union For Medical Transcriptionists
Jul 11, 2011

I know this idea has been tossed around a lot but yet nothing has been done about it (to my knowledge - if someone knows different, please correct me). I am in agreement that we as transcriptionists need to band together so that we don't get treated unfairly and not paid what we are actually worth. I know there are many of us that have chosen medical transcription as our career and are still holding on and sticking through the changes. How do you go about creating a union for transcriptio ...

How Many Canadian Medical Transcriptionists?
Mar 02, 2012

I was just wondering if there are very many Canadian medical transcriptionists who visit this forum. In Canada we are not "certified" i.e. I took a six month course at college and have a certificate, but we do not have a professional organization as such. I wish we did! Sometimes I can find a word here when asking the other girls in the office doesn't come up with any new ideas. ...

Medical Transcriptionists Not Getting Paid
Aug 20, 2012

Please do not work for PreciseMT based out of Nebraska!!  Please forward this e-mail around so no one else falls for this!  This loss of wages has put such a burden on me and my family.  I don't want anyone else to suffer.   http://www.wowt.com/factfinders/headlines/Medical-Workers-Not-Being-Paid-166705406.html ...

Job Outlook For Medical Transcriptionists
Mar 24, 2013

http://bls.gov/ooh/Healthcare/Medical-transcriptionists.htm ...

Future Of No More Medical Transcription
Mar 22, 2011

Are you thinking of going into medical transcription for a career? Don't do it! The field is growing smaller every day, and soon will be gone completely. In Alaska, all the major hospitals have gone to voice recognition, and work is scarcer all the time. Look into medical coding maybe, or working in a doctor's office as an assistant or receptionist. DON'T GO INTO MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTION! Liza ...

The Future Of Medical Transcription... Sm
Dec 15, 2011

Now, don't shoot me because this is presented by the AAMT.  Just watch it and consider what our role will be in the coming years in the healtcare profession.  ...

The Future Of Medical Transcription
Sep 05, 2012

What do you feel is the future of the medical transcription profession?  In my area, the hospitals and their doctors' groups are switching over to voice recognition systems and not using traditional medical transcription.  Will I be out of a job soon?      ...

Future Of Medical Coders
Mar 18, 2013

With Epic coming abroad what is the future for coders. I just signed up to begin coding classes and would like more information before I proceed. ...

Group Medical Insurance For Transcriptionists?
Aug 17, 2010

I was wondering if there is group insurance anywhere for those of us who do this full time without benefits?  It seems that with insurance companies and strength in numbers, something should be available.  Anyone have any information on or experience with this?  I am recently certified with a few years experience and am looking to quit my crappy full time job that I am working only for the insurance to do this full time, but am hitting a wall with the insurance dilemma. ...

The Plight Of American Medical Transcriptionists
Sep 20, 2014

If you thought the plight of the American medical transcriptionists would be heard on a national level, what would you say? Would your biggest complaint be the pay cut? The offshoring of medical records? The emotional abuse we have all endured? All of the above? If we truly thought our voices would be heard, what would we say? Thank you in advance for your responses. ...

RHIT And Medical Coding Future
Oct 09, 2011

Does anyone have good input on whether medical scribes are the new medical transcriptionists only being filled my medical students, medical assistants or a part-time or piecemeal clerk at a lower rate (hourly or by piece) than medical transcriptionists -- if lower pay is even possible? Also, what are any inputs on RHIT and the medical coding future? I already have a bachelor's degree but thought about another associate degree in RHIT in a CAHIIM accredited program. From your viewpoint, wou ...

Future In Medical Coding / Billing
Feb 08, 2012

I have a question about coding and billing.  For three years in the '90s, I coded and transcribed for a small, rural, hospital.  I was responsible for outpatient, ER, inpatient, surgical etc. coding and transcription.  It was mostly ICD-9, and HCPC coding.  If I want to code from home in the future, what would you suggest I do, an online program?  Do you think coding from home would be an opportunity or do most hospitals/clinics/physicians require experience at a facility first, and wo ...

MTStars A Community Of US Medical Transcriptionists And Their Companies Who Worry About What Is Bein
May 21, 2013

My point having been made in 2 short weeks, I will no longer be hanging out on this board.  Nuance, in its attempts to hide its egregious activities with certain employees, has infiltrated this board and it is no longer truly a community of US medical transcriptionists, but has become what could more aptly be called, "A company opportunity to do damage control for all POTENTIAL new employees about what the former employees said when they quit."  The board can, however, still ser ...

Transcriptionists With ADD.... I Think Im One Of Them!
Feb 10, 2010

make a living being an MT?  In addition to how low our pay has gotten, and the myriad other problems that we all deal with, if you can't focus, do you think that is cutting into your finances as well? I've always had a suspicion that I have ADD.  Was a totally hyper kid.  Daydreamer in school.  High IQ (148), labelled as "gifted" in 1st Grade, yet with each passing year did less and less well in school.  Looked out the window and zoned out more than I paid att ...

When There Are No More US Transcriptionists...
Aug 19, 2013

M*Modal will call the shots.  No doubt they'll start jacking up prices to the clients then.  That's the way it usually works. Should only take a few more years.  Save a bit now, spend a lot more down the road.  Lol.  Shortsighted fools. ...

The Future Of MT
Nov 25, 2009

Many have said that MT is not what it once was. Here's a topic: What is/could be the future of medical transcirption?   Diane   ...

MT's Future?
Feb 20, 2010

I was told not to enter the medical transcription field because it was not going to exist in about five or six years. Is this true? I really want a job that is professional and allows me to work at home as well. Thanks ...

The Future Of MT.
Sep 26, 2012

Wondering what thoughts are on this article.  I believe MT is changing but is not a dying profession.  ...

Future Of MTs
Jun 06, 2013

Iâve been doing more research into the future of the MT field and I find that it is morphing into something I do not want to be a part of. Are EMR/EHR really cutting down transcription costs/jobs? If you goggle this you will find a huge disparity of opinion from âgoal being to have no transcriptionists whatsoeverâ at one extreme to âall this new fangled stuff is just some new toys for the kids to play withâ being at the other. Some are on the fence and some are crying itâs a ...

The Future Of MTs - Is There One?
Jan 18, 2014

I am a former MT who is going to school for Health Informatics.  I worked as a transcriptionist for over 20 years.  Two and a half years ago our team was told the organization we worked for was going to voice recognition and our jobs were being phased out which is when I chose to go back to school.  I am writing my final paper on “The Future of Medical Transcription – Is There One?”   I would like to get information from other transcriptionists on this ...

The Future
Mar 19, 2014

Hello to everyone on MTStars. I've been reading all these posts for weeks.  My hospital announced in Jan. that we would get laid off in July b/c they had decided to go with M*Modal.  After everything I have read here you could not beat me with a stick to apply for M*Modal; even though that is what they wanted us to do.  I've come to terms with it.  I am at peace.  I have been transcribing for 16 years, and have made EXCELLENT money, $25-30/hour. If this is the ...

Future Net - Anybody Still There?
May 08, 2014

Anybody still there?  After months of shoving MModal down our throats they just sent an email out on how to fix the spellchecker in the program!  Do you think that should have been done before forcing this on MTs?  Looks like there is no turning back, they are just forcing the issue and you can either make less than minimum wage, WAY less, or take a hike as many of us have been told.  A ton of work in regular SR every day because looks like everyone is in fact leaving but at the same time, m ...

Is This The Future?
May 20, 2014

I am beginning to think that the future with VR and point-and-click plus offshoring means that the work that is remaining will be just a little bit from a bunch of different accounts, meaning we have to navigate through a bunch of different account specs for those MTs left.  My old account went completely offshore, the new account I was transferred to went completely over to Epic and my new assignment has me with 3 accounts and the work is dried up so I will have to ask for more.  The ...

Future
Nov 02, 2014

Recently, I  saw several posts about TSMs being let go, about other things that are changing in the different regions.   Will that be happening across the board I wonder?  Are these changes in place right now?   Thank you for your input. ...