A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Brighter Future? - Kaci H.

Posted: Sep 01, 2012

You know, I just stumbled upon this website a week or so ago. Reading some of your post have really opened my eyes as to how lucky I am to have my position. I am semi-new to the MT world. I work for a wonderful company, but it makes me sad to see everyone has to put up with just insane working conditions from other companies. 
I hope all of you find companies that realize you are their biggest asset. They cannot make deadlines, or quality goals without the hard work that all of you put forth. It's just a shame that some companies don't see the value in their employees instead of focusing on the bottom line.
I am still on the fence as to weather I will stay in this career for the rest of my life. I have a pretty high certification that isn't recognized, even though I have the same knowledge base. Also, I really enjoy the possibilty to move up in a company. Don't get me wrong my company is awesome, but sometimes I think I just want more out of a career. Other than those things being a MT has been wonderful, and I am not going to leave the field anytime soon. 
I really just wanted to post something positive, and to let you all know there still are companies out there that care about employees. Maybe one day, in a perfect world, everyone can just stop working for the bad companies and find work with the really great ones. It isn't all doom and gloom, and I wish everyone the best. :)

You know, I just stumbled upon this website a week or so ago. Reading some of your post has really opened my eyes as to how lucky I am to have my position. I am semi-new to the MT world. I work for a wonderful company, but it makes me sad to see everyone has to put up with just insane working conditions from other companies. I hope all of you find companies that realize you are their biggest asset. They cannot make deadlines, or quality goals without the hard work that all of you put forth. It's just a shame that some companies don't see the value in their employees instead of focusing on the bottom line.

I am still on the fence as to whether I will stay in this career for the rest of my life. I have a pretty high certification that isn't recognized, even though I have the same knowledge base. Also, I really enjoy the possibilty to move up in a company. Don't get me wrong my company is awesome, but sometimes I think I just want more out of a career. Other than those things being a MT has been wonderful, and I am not going to leave the field anytime soon. 

I really just wanted to post something positive, and to let you all know there still are companies out there that care about employees. Maybe one day, in a perfect world, everyone can just stop working for the bad companies and find work with the really great ones. It isn't all doom and gloom, and I wish everyone the best. :)

Anybody care to name the really great ones? - Weather?

[ In Reply To ..]
nm.

Rarely - and I mean RARELY - will anyone actually provide - the name of a good company.

[ In Reply To ..]
This is one of the things that I think is so terribly sad about this forum. Everyone's so paranoid that others will take their job if they mention the name of the good company that they work for that most "happy" posts are JUST LIKE the original post in this thread:

"I work for a great company - which shall be nameless - and I hope that you all find a great company too some day!"

To which I say: Ummm....thanks ever so much for the (totally unhelpful) good wishes!

I think she posted on the VR board - whatever

[ In Reply To ..]
About her accounts busting at the seams. Would really like to know the name of THAT company.

I don't want to be mean in response to a positive message, but at this point, I don't find the "I work for a great company and hope everyone does someday" post to be encouraging. I get more of an "it sucks to be you" feeling. Even if that isn't what they intended.

brighter future - also leaving

[ In Reply To ..]
I think my brighter future will be found getting out of MT.

When someone who's been in the MT trenches 10, 15 or 20+ years and still sees a brighter future in it, I might listen.

Sometimes I have to laugh at myself. - Kaci H.

[ In Reply To ..]
HA! That's what I get for typing that on a cell phone. I fixed it as you said something.

Your grammar and syntax sounds Indian. - That because of the cell phone, too?

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe that is why you are so happy?

High certification - Inquiring minds

[ In Reply To ..]
"High certification that isn't recognized." Does that mean in the US?
wondered about that too - downtime
[ In Reply To ..]
what exactly is a high certification? and why would it not be recognized?

sounds like it to me - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I thought the syntax sounded Indian too. I wonder if she is laughing all the way to the bank?? At our expense, no doubt. If so, let's all hold hands, join our comrades offshore and rejoice in this great profession we "share." I'll start us out singing Kumbaya. You got to be kidding me.
Sarcasm - Inquiring minds
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm getting rather cynical and sarcastic since my employer laid us off - she probably works for the company that landed our account.
cynical - and cynical
[ In Reply To ..]
Where is the wheres_my_job poster? I think we found it.
Actually, - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
In defense of wheres-my-job, I think she posted that she found a non-MT job on another board, so I don't think this is her.
clarify - and cynical
[ In Reply To ..]
I like wheres-my-job. I'm glad she got a non-MT job. Always got a kick out of her nickname. When I run out of work, I wonder where's my job too. Meant if she was affected by offshoring, we found where her MT job went.

Good grief - Paranoid, much?

[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't get any "Indian" sounding syntax out of the OPs post.

Good grief, I swear people are going nuts these days.
lady I'm not nuts - but cynical
[ In Reply To ..]
FYI, I slog through heavy ESL accounts ALL DAY, enough to know it sounded that way to me.

If you think I'm "paranoid, much?" you must be on one of those dream accounts with non-ESL docs.
Good Lord!! - Kaci H.
[ In Reply To ..]
Good grief! I was just trying to be positive for a change and make people smile. No, I am not Indian. I am from Louisiana. So, whatever it "sounded" like to you, you're incorrect. I am a Certified Court Reporter in the state of Louisiana. We have to know the same terminology for our test that you guys do in order to be prepared for doctor depos. I am not anyone else on the board; I just found this website. I make a nice income from home, and I wanted to try to let people know there is still hope. There is no hidden agenda, no sarcasm, generally trying to be nice.

I was typing from a cell phone while I was on a car ride to help evacuate family from flood zones.

All negativity aside, I generally just want to wish people the best of luck.:)
I'll be the first to apologize - but still cynical
[ In Reply To ..]
I am sorry. Worked 15 hours yesterday and 12 today, but my shift is supposed to be 8, just trying to stay full time and have to grab the work when it's there. May not be any tomorrow. I have grown very cynical in this biz. Not sure why you would get out of court reporting to be an MT.

If you have a company treating you that well, you are truly blessed, and I hope it continues. If you spend some time on this message board (and I hope my erroneous accusation doesn't deter you from doing so), you'll see you are in the minority. Lot of people here in desperate situations because of the changes in the MT job climate.

I once was semi-new to MT and thought is was rosy. Several years later, getting half the pay I used to and working ungodly hours to make ends meet has made me jaded. Sorry to have taken it out on you.

Keep up the good work.
The terminology you know for court reporting is nothing - Like MT
[ In Reply To ..]
And depositions are nothing like medical dictation done at auctioneer speed from a cell phone in a noisy room with banging, clanging, and people screaming.

I know court reporters and have seen their medical terminology books. They can't transcribe surgical procedures or much of anything else and those books are only a small fraction of what an MT knows.

Claiming you know the same body of knowledge as an MT is a lot like a lawyer claiming he can practice medicine because he handles doctor's divorces.

There is just something ever so slightly patronizing about it.
Are you an MT or a court reporter? - confused Leaving MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I am very confused. I thought you were a semi-new MT, is that not correct? Are you both a court reporter and an MT?

I wondered if you were ESL as well based on that last post. LOL! My apologies as well.

I am so sorry that you are having to evacuate your family. I hope you folks in Louisiana are able to recover quickly from the storm.

Whatever it is you do from home, I hope you have long-lived success.
Last post for me - Kaci H.
[ In Reply To ..]
I am a MT now. Court reporting pay works in crazy ways, and I couldn't just sit around waiting on attorneys to decide to pay their bills. I know not all MT companies are the same. The first one I worked for expected me to be okay with $60.00 a pay check. So, I understand where a lot of the doom and gloom comes from. I have been at the same company for about two years now, and it's just great. So, my only goal was to let people out there know there is still some hope.

Thank you for the well wishes. Some of my family members lost their homes, but they are safe and that's all that matters.

The court reporting school I went to used the AHDI CMT Exam Guide as one of the outlines for the medical terminology class which took a year to complete. I did a lot of medical depositions focusing on complex surgeries and surgical procedures for malpractice lawsuits. I did not work in a court room, I was a freelance court reporter. When I bought a study guide book for the AHDI certification test it was almost the exact same book as the RMT Review Guide that was required to take the medical terminology class I had at school. This is what motivated me to become a MT. All I did, and all I was trying to do was give some hope to the message boards. I am so not replying to anything else attached to this post or even looking at it. I am moving on from it:)

Have a great day everyone and good luck:)

This is from my cell phone again, so I am sorry for any typos.
Thanks for the clarification - helps to know where - someone is coming from
[ In Reply To ..]
We are kind of a doom-and-gloom bunch here, and I, too, used to be kind of a starry-eyed new MT up until about a year and a half ago. I have no doubt that there are great MT jobs out there to be had, but I also have started to caution people thinking of entering this profession that, if they are able-bodied and can work outside the home, not to get into doing MT from home. My experience is rather limited since I have only been doing this for a little over 4 years, but after having gone through a few companies and then finally finding a good one just to see the work drop off at that one, I just do not see MT as a viable career that someone could rely on for their sole income. Maybe it happens, but it is almost like winning the lottery to get a good situation in MT. It seems to be a very unstable profession at this point.
working at home - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with you, working at home in MT gives people a false sense of security. From your home office and computer, isolated from fellow workers, you never know what is going on behind the scenes. The rug could be pulled out from under you at any time. True in any profession I guess, but more so when you can't communicate with coworkers and can only go on what the company chooses to let you know in their emails.
but there is no hope - downtime
[ In Reply To ..]
don't you get it? There is no hope for this stupid stupid profession that we so stupidly got into and now can't seem to get out of.

Good luck in your career - semi-new leaving MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I am a semi-new MT myself working for a great company still doing only straight transcription. The only down side with my job is our work has dropped off in the past couple of years. Since I am not about to work editing difficult reports for 4 cpl or less, I have decided to leave the profession. In other words, my choices seem rather limited if I stay in MT, and my current situation is not likely to last forever, plus it is killing me to get the lines in each day I want to produce with the slower work flow.

If you want to stay in this career for the rest of your life, you might be looking at a relocation to a different country other than the US (assuming you are in the US). If you are not in the US, then you indeed might have a bright future in MT.

Good luck and savor the good situation while you can.

yeah, yeah, yeah - downtime

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes we'll all go work for those really great ones. Let's go people what are we waiting for. Then we'll all stroll happily off into the sunset. Forget it. THERE IS NOT A BRIGHT FUTURE FOR MT!

Don't know if it's Indian, but - but "pretty high certification"

[ In Reply To ..]
sounded strange to me. Of course here we go again with an "awesome company" where no specifics are given. Gotta wonder, but the post is sweet in a kind of odd way.

Pretty high certification? Are you related to - SuperExperiiencedMT? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
??

Not only that, - but

[ In Reply To ..]
it's "a pretty high certification that isn't recognized."

Whatever that means.

I'd be sweet too if I had JOB SECURITY - whatever

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

New here? - Strap on the armour

[ In Reply To ..]
Especially if you dare to be not miserable, not angry, not persecuted, or just plain old nice.

Kaci - Inquiring minds

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your optimistic post. I gave you a thumbs up thinking that you were a new MT who had been lucky to find a great job right away. Now, I learn that you are a court reporter. You are not in the MT world at all and you cannot say that being an MT has been wonderful because you've never been one. You do not have the same knowledge base. The terminology you hear in court is nothing compared to what MTs transcribe; surgical instruments, medications and tricky foreign accents all day long, just to name a few things. In addition to that, our employers expect near perfect accuracy in addition to meeting or exceeding production quotas. I probably couldn't do your job either but I would never go onto a forum for court reporters and say that I was one because I had done medical transcription. I still thank you for your words of encouragement, but if you had been honest and stated what you actually did at the beginning, people might have been a little more receptive. They made assumptions that you were from India because much of our work is being sent there now and they get a lot of the good accounts. Have a nice day and take care.

Sorry, but now definitely not buying it. - Does it really make sense...

[ In Reply To ..]
that someone would take time to post a happy message on an MT board from a cell phone while trying to evacuate their family in a hurricane?

You are so right. LOL - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
And of course she never did post the name of this - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
wonderful company! lolololol!!!!!
I never name my MTSO here but even at that, she could have - just picked MTSO out a hat, made it up. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
s
Huh! I was wondering how long it was going to take... - alias
[ In Reply To ..]
before somebody started whining about the OP not saying who she worked for. I knew it wouldn't be long, and once someone did, there would be a ton of others copy-catting....gees.

Similar Messages:

FINALLY, Getting Out Of Nuance And On To BRIGHTER FUTURE AHEAD!!!
Apr 05, 2014

....I wish all on this board success!!  I've found a way out and I'M TAKING IT, PRONTO...NOT GONNA LOOK BACK!!  An opportunity presented itself and I'm OUTTA HERE...My 'at will' time at Nuance is DONE!!!  Happy days are forthcoming...SUCH A RELIEF!!   Blessings and success to ALL MTs!!!!!! ...

The Future Of MT
Nov 25, 2009

Many have said that MT is not what it once was. Here's a topic: What is/could be the future of medical transcirption?   Diane   ...

MT's Future?
Feb 20, 2010

I was told not to enter the medical transcription field because it was not going to exist in about five or six years. Is this true? I really want a job that is professional and allows me to work at home as well. Thanks ...

The Future Of MT.
Sep 26, 2012

Wondering what thoughts are on this article.  I believe MT is changing but is not a dying profession.  ...

Future Of MTs
Jun 06, 2013

I’ve been doing more research into the future of the MT field and I find that it is morphing into something I do not want to be a part of. Are EMR/EHR really cutting down transcription costs/jobs? If you goggle this you will find a huge disparity of opinion from “goal being to have no transcriptionists whatsoever” at one extreme to “all this new fangled stuff is just some new toys for the kids to play with” being at the other. Some are on the fence and some are crying it’s a ...

The Future Of MTs - Is There One?
Jan 18, 2014

I am a former MT who is going to school for Health Informatics.  I worked as a transcriptionist for over 20 years.  Two and a half years ago our team was told the organization we worked for was going to voice recognition and our jobs were being phased out which is when I chose to go back to school.  I am writing my final paper on “The Future of Medical Transcription – Is There One?”   I would like to get information from other transcriptionists on this ...

The Future
Mar 19, 2014

Hello to everyone on MTStars. I've been reading all these posts for weeks.  My hospital announced in Jan. that we would get laid off in July b/c they had decided to go with M*Modal.  After everything I have read here you could not beat me with a stick to apply for M*Modal; even though that is what they wanted us to do.  I've come to terms with it.  I am at peace.  I have been transcribing for 16 years, and have made EXCELLENT money, $25-30/hour. If this is the ...

Future Net - Anybody Still There?
May 08, 2014

Anybody still there?  After months of shoving MModal down our throats they just sent an email out on how to fix the spellchecker in the program!  Do you think that should have been done before forcing this on MTs?  Looks like there is no turning back, they are just forcing the issue and you can either make less than minimum wage, WAY less, or take a hike as many of us have been told.  A ton of work in regular SR every day because looks like everyone is in fact leaving but at the same time, m ...

Is This The Future?
May 20, 2014

I am beginning to think that the future with VR and point-and-click plus offshoring means that the work that is remaining will be just a little bit from a bunch of different accounts, meaning we have to navigate through a bunch of different account specs for those MTs left.  My old account went completely offshore, the new account I was transferred to went completely over to Epic and my new assignment has me with 3 accounts and the work is dried up so I will have to ask for more.  The ...

Future
Nov 02, 2014

Recently, I  saw several posts about TSMs being let go, about other things that are changing in the different regions.   Will that be happening across the board I wonder?  Are these changes in place right now?   Thank you for your input. ...

Future Of MT
Mar 25, 2015

Well, just saw a report on my local news that one of the hospitals in my area is trying out the Dragon Medical voice/rec system, where they are doing it directly at the hospital right into the medical record.  Allegedly it is just a pilot program, but it showed the doctor looking at a computer screen and dictating into the machine, and the text would appear directly on the computer.  Then he can read what he said and put it directly into the chart.  Then any doctor in the hospital ...

Is There Really A Future For MT Work?
Feb 03, 2010

I don't mean to start a downer post here, but I sincerely want to know if there is a future for MT work. I see posts by a few who have succeeded, at least somewhat, in the MT world.  However, these are very few.  Then there are those who were happy just to find a job, but a few months later, were let go because of no work.  There are some whom I know to be conscientious workers who were fired out of the blue.  Could this just be the company losing accounts and placing t ...

Future Job Outlook
Feb 09, 2010

I'm currently an MT, wanting to change careers.  In your opinion, what are the chances of coding going the way of MT with outsourcing to foreign countries and/or technology cutting back the number or coders needed? Any opinions would be appreciated.  I'm thinking about starting classes. ...

This Is Actually The Future For Transcriptionists, Sm
Aug 03, 2010

Go to this website.  Transcriptionists will no longer be needed in the future for transcribing or editing.  One of my friends told me the hospital she retired from is going to this system and their transcription department will eventually no longer exist.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGMEf11GmBo ...

TransTech In My Future?
Feb 09, 2011

I'm on the fence and need some advice.  I would like to make a move and I've applied to TransTech, but I think I might want to apply for an in-house position versus at-home position.  I have friends who work at TransTech,  but they are at-home MTs and they don't know how TransTech in-house MTs are set up or even how many there are.  Are there any in-house MTs for TransTech who could tell me why they chose the in-house versus at-home position?  Other than ...

EMR And The Future Of Transcription
Jul 27, 2011

With the president's health care reform he is giving incentives to doctors to switch to EMR.  From what I understand, if doctors have not switched over to EMR by 2014 they will be taxed.  What is the future of our business with this policy?  Especially the big transcription companies like Transcend? ...

The Future Of Coding
Aug 13, 2011

I am currently taking a program taught by a coder in my city.  It is very in depth and I will be able to sit for the CPC when I finish, but I am worried about the future of coding.  I read an article (I can't remember where but was in a health journal of some kind) that in 5 years coding will be mostly computer-assisted, documentation for coding will be 3/4 electronic, and coding staffing levels will be starting to decrease due to technology.  Who agrees with this?  Am I ...

Hope For The Future! Sm
Dec 18, 2011

I just finished typing a patient -   106 years old - NO past medical history, NO past surgical history, completely negative ROS, NO medications at all.  She came into the ER for a tooth abscess!  ...

No Future In This Industry?
Jun 29, 2012

I don't know why I'm posting, just a last bit of hope left in me.  I have devoted my entire adult life to this industry, what I used to consider a career. Over the decades, I became a top-notch professional MT, basically 100% accuracy, never needed QA help, and was a huge producer.   Fast forward 20 years, and I climbed up the ladder in our industry, joining QA, being a team lead, then up into management levels, and.... rather than have my salary 'commensurate with ...

Mmodal Future
Oct 15, 2012

So everything is going swimmingly for Mmodal - getting better in every way every day -- except, of course, for MT pay. ...

Future Of MT Redux
Feb 05, 2013

Hello, all! I am a new MT searching for my first job in the field. Just about a year ago, this forum was discussing EPIC, EMTs, technology and policies negatively impacting the medical transcriptionist.  What has your experience been? Any new thoughts concerning the future of MT? If you have a job, is it being impacted negatively, if at all? I'd love to hear from the job-hunters as well. Thanks. ...

Nuance's Future
Mar 10, 2013

....that says that Nuance is not doing well. It's stocks are down and they are losing accounts to more advanced speech technology. It also goes to say that there is a possibility that Nuance will be sold.     ...

To MTSOs, What Does The Future Look Like To You? Sm
Apr 16, 2013

Wondering what you small MTSO companies have lined up for the future?  We have discussed what MTs are possibly switching to in the near future and now I wonder if all of these small MTSO companies that might be making a good living now have a backup plan for when it all dries up?  ...

The Future Of Transcription
May 07, 2013

I had to take my two kids to the doctor the other day.  Thought I was lucky, because there were only 2 people in front of us, but it was TWO HOURS before we were called back.  Once I got back there, I saw why.  When the nurse came in to ask the pre-visit questions, she asked a MILLION questions and entered them all into her laptop, typing out what we said (typed VERY slow, by the way) and we were just on HER portion for over 45 minutes.  Then, the doctor came in and saw the kids and she spen ...

Coding Future
Jul 11, 2013

I am thinking about going back to school to get into another profession.  Coding is popular with MTs.  I am really afraid that coding will be going down the same road transcription has.  I am hearing things now with coding as I heard less than 10 years ago with transcription, i.e. off shoring, technology etc.  Does anyone have any helpful info about the coding field and what the future outlook is?  I have gone to websites to try to find this info and nothing seems helpfu ...

Future Ad For Transcriptionists
Mar 31, 2014

Ok, I am just venting some frustration here   Wanted: Experienced medical transcriptionist, VR experience.  Just for the privilege of doing transcription for us we will only charge you 3 cpl.  You may pay us by direct deposit each Friday.  The personal satisfaction you will receiving from being a part of making our company succeed and be profitable, along with satisfying the facility you are striving to put out perfect reports for should be enough for you, as we are t ...

Future Net At Diamond Bar
May 23, 2014

Does anyone know what is going on there now?  Looked like all the work was being forced into MModal and they ended up a couple days behind in their TAT.  Now the work looks like it is being fed back into regular typing and SR.  Just stringing the MTs along until they find enough newbies for MM maybe?  Sure do not trust them.  BTW the tone of the emails really changed after some posts here on this board described the beatings and nastigrams they were sending out. ...

Future Net SR/MModal
Aug 15, 2014

Has anyone used the new FNSR MModal platform?  Any thoughts?  Reportedly they are transferring the work from the prior MModal platform to one of their own at a rapid pace.  They could not be doing this unless someone is using it so curious who is using it and how it compares to the web based EHR program they are also still using for regular speech rec work. ...

Future Net Diamond Bar Again
Aug 27, 2014

Is anybody using the FNSR platform?  They were supposed to be getting away from the Mmodal platform to one of their own but there is no word on how that FNSR platform is going.  Go figure.  If anyone IS using it, what can you tell the rest of us? ...

The Future Of Coding?
Mar 31, 2015

So I am currently an MT with 10+ years under my belt. I decided to go to school for coding and switch careers while I still had the chance. I am currently saving up for school, and my tax refund is going to put me over the top so I can start next month. But now I am reading (on this board) about the possibility that coding is going to start going the way of transcription (i.e., automation, computerized coding, etc.) and that coding jobs are going to start losing value just as MT jobs have lost t ...