A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

The future of MT. - Hopeful MT

Posted: Sep 26, 2012

Wondering what thoughts are on this article.  I believe MT is changing but is not a dying profession. 

Interesting article. And try this on for - a workable solution

[ In Reply To ..]
I use Dragon Medical to echo dictate everything. Have been using it for over 2 years now. I have the ability to dictate directly into an EMR. Echo dictating allows me to create a draft in roughly the same amount of time as it took the original author to dictate the report, which then leaves me time to go back and do a full audio review and still generate a report that is 100% accurate in less time than I used to type them.

Pay me 9 cents a line, and I will create a report error free that is instantly available in the medical record, QA'd. Give me nothing but clear dictators, and I will do it for 8 cents a line.

Maintaining 100% accuracy is doable this way. I know, because I've been doing it now for quite some time. If you have time to re-read every report you do for accuracy and still be productive, 100% accuracy can be achieved by everyone.

With clear, understandable dictations to work with, at 8 cents a line I could consistently produce 250 lines an hour providing 100% accurate reports that are instantly available on the patient's chart. That's $20 an hour. The quality would be unprecedented, the MTSO could charge the hospital less for the service while at the same time paying the transcriptionist more and still realize an increase in their overall profit because production would increase dramatically while at the same time practically eliminating the expense of maintaining a QA department. And think what that would do for turnaround time.

There are answers that can benefit everyone. We just need to climb outside the box and take a fresh look at a new approach. This is just one solution that is available right now to anyone who has the impetus to make it happen.

Dragon Medical is expensive from what I remember - not many could afford that as an MT

[ In Reply To ..]
That's wonderful that you have it and can give 100% accuracy.

Yes, it is. But I can show you how to get it for half the cost. - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
There is a company that will provide the version 11 speech engine, which is the same that comes with Dragon Medical, and then provide medical vocabularies to go with it for a fraction of what Nuance charges for basically the same thing.

Also, a company that wanted to do this could purchase a multiple user license from Nuance and then provide Dragon Medical to its transcriptionists for anywhere from free to whatever. In fact, I know of one company already doing just that.
Can You Link me or e-mail me? - Would love to know more.
[ In Reply To ..]
...about how I can get this. I've thought about doing it.
P.S. - If you...
[ In Reply To ..]
If you e-mail me directly from the forum, you would remain anonymous. I'm just curious as to where I might be able to purchase this.
Check your e-mail. - No message.
[ In Reply To ..]
xx
Thanks, see msg - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks very much. But 7 hours after the time of your post, e-mail is still not in my box. Does it typically take that long when e-mailing from this forum? Will keep checking.
That hasn't been my experience, but I can only remember - email to one other poster.
[ In Reply To ..]
She did get the email, and we made contact, but I have no idea how long it took for the email to show up. I did get her email response to my email in less than 7 hours, so it apparently didn't take that long for her to receive my initial contact. If you still don't have it, I will re-send. Let me know.
I Still do not have it :( - Much Appreciated on resend!
[ In Reply To ..]
xx
Resent - Let me know - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
xx
No. :( - Sent you an e-mail from here
[ In Reply To ..]
Let me know here if you get it.
Can you e-mail me the information also? - Please and Thank you
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I also would like to know how to get this. - dc
[ In Reply To ..]
Would love to know how to get the version you speak of for less than what Dragon Medical costs. Please e-mail me with info. Thanks!
Check e-mail. - Let me know. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
xx

if you work for Inscribe, after being an employee for some time - they give it to you to keep, use anywhere

[ In Reply To ..]
InScribe does not give Dragon Medical - - Just Dragon
[ In Reply To ..]
After passing your first quality evaluation with a required score of 99.5% or higher, you may request a free copy and Dani will send you one.
But, if you want one yourself, ebay has a whole bunch of the same ones she would send you.
Actually, I was under the impression they provide - Dragon Medical 10
[ In Reply To ..]
I could be wrong about that, but I can find out easy enough and let everyone know.
The box I have is simply Dragon Naturally Speaking - Version 10.1
[ In Reply To ..]
The DVD says Preferred 10, as does the quick start guide.
So, are you trying to build a medical vocabulary yourself? - If so, I can make a suggestion.
[ In Reply To ..]
I know where you can get a full medical vocabulary that will work with your Dragon speech engine for about half what Dragon Medical would cost you if you're interested.

I never could understand the value of redictating - everything a second time. (s/m)

[ In Reply To ..]
For MTs with carpal tunnel, or other physical disabilities that make typing difficult or impossible, then yes, it makes sense. But I just don't get sitting there and speaking into a VR system all day, when if I can already understand what's being said, it might as well go directly through my own fingers. And if you're already editing VR (which most MT is nowadays, anyway), it would seem even more ridiculous to dictate it a second time, only to go through a second VR system, which would have to be edited, as well.

I think the mechanization of MT has gone too far. Now it's all about gimmicks, and "toys" for the (mostly male) hospital CEOs to play with, or brag about to their colleagues.

I still remember, as an outpatient clinic inhouse MT many years ago, the "next big thing" that was going to replace MT was a system they were trying out whereby all the medical records were stored not as print, but as sound files. Supposedly anytime the docs wanted to check a medical record, they could punch in the MR#, date of procedure or office visit, etc., and listen to the spoken report.

That went over like a lead balloon, because of course, it not only took too long to re-listen to the report and find the part you wanted to listen to, but there was still the problem of not understanding the dictation if it was another doctor, and not one's own report. Not to mention the ease with which they could punch in the wrong MR#, and be listening to the wrong report.

The appearance of "scribes" in medical offices is almost like MT has come full circle, and is now back to a similar job that it was back in the 1950s-60s, when a "medical secretary" sat and took the doctor's chart notes in shorthand, or typed directly from live dictation.

The machinery may be different now, a bit more complicated perhaps, but once again, there is that third person sitting there in the exam room, taking notes (or keyboarding them into an EMR).

Full circle - Leaving MT

[ In Reply To ..]
That is a great analogy about scribes and MTs coming full circle.

I would think redictating everything would be hard on one's voice. If medical records were stored and retrieved as voice files, then docs would actually have to speak to be understood, and we all know how likely that is.

Let me help you understand. - see inside

[ In Reply To ..]
Can you type a 5-minute report in 5.5 minutes? I'm not talking one with a lot of pausing, but one with a dictator who knows what they want to say and says it. For most, a good average is twice as long to type as it took to dictate. Some people take even more time than that, though most of the time not much more than that, so twice as long is a realistic average. Now how long does it take on average to proof read that 5-minute report (if in fact one even does that, which a lot of us don't because it's hard enough to make any money these days as it is)? I'd say maybe 2-3 minutes for the average reader, and if you proof with a full audio review then you need to add another 5 minutes for proofing not 2-3 minutes. Most try to learn to proof as they type, but that can lead to stressful QAs as everyone is aware. This eliminates that stress. I don't worry about QA any more, because I have read every single report I submitted. I already know they're spot on, and I can do that now in less time than it used to take me when I was just taking my best shot and then counting on the luck of the draw on QA because I knew there had to be some errors somewhere because nobody's perfect. Not any more! How much is no stress worth?

Anyway, moving along. A 5-minute report that takes 10 minutes to type and another 5 minutes to proof with full audio review. That's 15 minutes assuming it was perfect and you didn't have to take any additional time making corrections. In order to produce perfect work all the time, that's what it takes. I can do that in say 12 minutes tops. That's 20% faster, and if you took even 1 extra minute to make a few corrections of typos or whatever, then that 20% faster becomes 25% faster (12 is 80% of 15 but only 75% of 16).

Translating that into line count, 1000 lines a day turns into 1200 lines at 20% faster. At 8 cents a line, that's an additional $16 a day x 5 days a week is $80 a week x 2 weeks in a pay period is $160 a pay period x 2 pay periods a month is $320 a month raise just by using my voice instead of my fingers.

And that's conservative. I say that because the techniques I have developed in proofing allow me to proof a lot of the stuff as I go. Any numbered list, for example, prints out the instant you say it so it is easy to read it as you are dictating. When it comes time to proof, you can fast forward through that section so proofing takes even less time. And there are other tricks, too. Just showing you conservatively what you can do.

Bottom line is, I can talk faster than I can type, and my computer never makes a typo, nothing is ever misspelled, and...well hopefully one can begin to get the picture.

It's not for everyone, that's true. But, it does work and work well. We all have seen the really good drafts that come through VR for editing (albeit precious few). I make those every time, just speaking right with the dictation I'm hearing but enunciating it clearly so Dragon has its best shot at getting it. You don't have to slow way down, in fact it's not as accurate if you do that. You just keep up with the dictation, speak clearly, and sit there and watch entire lines appear all at once - not words one at a time like typing...entire lines and sentences.
Done that (sm) - Morgan
[ In Reply To ..]
I did that years ago before Dragon had any specialty dictionaries. I created my own oncology dictionary and spent a LOT of time training phrases. My speed was MUCH faster than transcribing. I had very fast dictators and could redictate as I listend, only having to stop on occasion correct a mistake or train a new phrase. This isn't for everyone as it's definitely multitasking. At that time there were some glitches for example I could never train difference between "he" and "she" and a few other things. Proofing took me 2 hours at the end of the day so it didn't really save me time but broke even.

Do you find that the ability to train the software has improved over the last 5 years or so? Does it still understand you when you have a cold? Are hiccups still transcribed as "the"? How about a dog bark? Do they have specialty dictionaries for oncology and pathology? Just curious as I haven't done this for so long.
I started with version 9.5, and now have 11. - What version were you using?
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, the speech engine is greatly improved over previous versions, including 9.5. Virtually no lag time now in speech to text. Used to be some lag time before Dragon would post what you said on your screen as it took time to decide what it was going to print. Now, the second you stop talking what you just said hits your screen.

Yes, any speech engine, including Dragon, will still try and interpret any sound it hears as a word. If I sniff, I generally get the word "this." The microphone hot key solves that problem, though. There are still little annoyances, which is why I know from firsthand experience that VR is nowhere near ready to replace transcriptionists and may very well never get there. However, the improvement in accuracy is staggeringly better, and because what you just said immediately populates to your screen, proofing is much easier. You can pretty much proof as you go if that's your particular style. My proofing techniques vary depending on the dictation I'm dealing with at the time.

Problems with "he" and "she" and the like are a thing of the past, and there's not much multitasking to it. You just listen, repeat it, and either slow down enough to proof as you go or just stay right with the dictation and proof the whole thing when you're finished dictating it.

Don't know about voice changes affecting it. Accuracy is so much better, and with a good microphone it very likely wouldn't matter. I have not had any kind of a cold or anything that has really drastically changed my voice, but I do get quite congested with year-round allergy problems, and that degree of voice change has never had any impact whatsoever.

As far as vocabularies, Dragon is acute-care ready out of the box. I occasionally come up with an infectious disease bug it doesn't recognize, but for the most part they're all there. That's been one of the surprises I didn't expect. I can hear something I've never heard before and haven't got a clue what it is, but all I have to do is just repeat it as closely as I can to what I think I'm hearing, and more than half the time Dragon gets it because it's in the vocabulary. Plop - there it is on the screen - the medication or strep species or forceps, whatever. That had never occurred to me until it actually happened once. It was a pleasant surprise.
Speech recognition in court - Leaving MT
[ In Reply To ..]
A few years ago when I had jury duty, the court reporter used speech recognition to record the proceedings. She was definitely multitasking, but she used a microphone that she held up to her face, and it covered her whole mouth, so the speech engine only "heard" her voice and did not pick up any outside noise. It was very interesting to watch.
Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, I guess! ;) - n/m
[ In Reply To ..]

Well, dying is changing in a sense... - Leaving MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I think MT is going to change enough that it will no longer be around as we know it at some point, and that seems to be happening fast. I predict it will no longer be a focused, one-task job but will morph into a more broad set of tasks. I sure wouldn't recommend it as a career choice to anyone, especially those who are able-bodied and can work outside the home.

I have to laugh when I read ads for inhouse MTs lately. - -(sm)-Meerkat

[ In Reply To ..]
They have a whole laundry list of additional duties: Phones, scheduling, patient rooming, buying office supplies, lobby cleanup, sometimes even medical assistant work, such as taking vital signs. (That job should be titled "Medical Assistant", NOT "medical transcriptionist!") Not to mention the ones that want you to be an Ace in Excel and Powerpoint presentations, or graphic design! It's hard enough to focus on what a dictator is saying when that's the only thing we're doing. Trying to transcribe while rooming patients and being a multiple-line phone/switchboard jockey is beyond ridiculous.

And the pay? $10/hour.

I'll pass.

you're talking doctor's office clerk, not hospital transcription. - and those jobs are going fast. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
Actually, the ones I'm talking about were ads I read - specifically because they said "transcriptionist".
[ In Reply To ..]
Most were doctor's office, but some were hospital. (The hospital ones probably should've been titled "ward clerk" or "ward secretary", not "medical transcriptionist".

I even applied to a job earlier this year that specifically wanted a radiology transcriptionist, but during the in-person interview, it turned out there actually wasn't going to be any transcription at all. Absurd.
in a doctor's office. they all do a little of everything - and that is usually the norm .NM
[ In Reply To ..]

The question is, what if anything will drive pay up at - least on par with regular outside office work? SM

[ In Reply To ..]
We currently have no leverage to insist because we're too easily replaced--with housewives working for pin money, with offshore MTs, with speech recognition, and with templates and/or shifting work to the clinician end.

Will this change? When? Why? To what degree? We need to know this to know if we can endure until then--those of us who can't afford to work for pin money.

Transcription and EMR - Jan

[ In Reply To ..]
I just got laid off in August, 2012, due to implementation of EMR in the orthopedic practice where I worked for six years. I am having a hard time finding a job. I would like to work for another five years. I am 64 years old, too old to change professions. Help!!

where are you located? - downtime

[ In Reply To ..]
I might be able to help you.

Similar Messages:

The Future Of MT
Nov 25, 2009

Many have said that MT is not what it once was. Here's a topic: What is/could be the future of medical transcirption?   Diane   ...

MT's Future?
Feb 20, 2010

I was told not to enter the medical transcription field because it was not going to exist in about five or six years. Is this true? I really want a job that is professional and allows me to work at home as well. Thanks ...

Future Of MTs
Jun 06, 2013

Iâve been doing more research into the future of the MT field and I find that it is morphing into something I do not want to be a part of. Are EMR/EHR really cutting down transcription costs/jobs? If you goggle this you will find a huge disparity of opinion from âgoal being to have no transcriptionists whatsoeverâ at one extreme to âall this new fangled stuff is just some new toys for the kids to play withâ being at the other. Some are on the fence and some are crying itâs a ...

The Future Of MTs - Is There One?
Jan 18, 2014

I am a former MT who is going to school for Health Informatics.  I worked as a transcriptionist for over 20 years.  Two and a half years ago our team was told the organization we worked for was going to voice recognition and our jobs were being phased out which is when I chose to go back to school.  I am writing my final paper on “The Future of Medical Transcription – Is There One?”   I would like to get information from other transcriptionists on this ...

The Future
Mar 19, 2014

Hello to everyone on MTStars. I've been reading all these posts for weeks.  My hospital announced in Jan. that we would get laid off in July b/c they had decided to go with M*Modal.  After everything I have read here you could not beat me with a stick to apply for M*Modal; even though that is what they wanted us to do.  I've come to terms with it.  I am at peace.  I have been transcribing for 16 years, and have made EXCELLENT money, $25-30/hour. If this is the ...

Future Net - Anybody Still There?
May 08, 2014

Anybody still there?  After months of shoving MModal down our throats they just sent an email out on how to fix the spellchecker in the program!  Do you think that should have been done before forcing this on MTs?  Looks like there is no turning back, they are just forcing the issue and you can either make less than minimum wage, WAY less, or take a hike as many of us have been told.  A ton of work in regular SR every day because looks like everyone is in fact leaving but at the same time, m ...

Is This The Future?
May 20, 2014

I am beginning to think that the future with VR and point-and-click plus offshoring means that the work that is remaining will be just a little bit from a bunch of different accounts, meaning we have to navigate through a bunch of different account specs for those MTs left.  My old account went completely offshore, the new account I was transferred to went completely over to Epic and my new assignment has me with 3 accounts and the work is dried up so I will have to ask for more.  The ...

Future
Nov 02, 2014

Recently, I  saw several posts about TSMs being let go, about other things that are changing in the different regions.   Will that be happening across the board I wonder?  Are these changes in place right now?   Thank you for your input. ...

Future Of MT
Mar 25, 2015

Well, just saw a report on my local news that one of the hospitals in my area is trying out the Dragon Medical voice/rec system, where they are doing it directly at the hospital right into the medical record.  Allegedly it is just a pilot program, but it showed the doctor looking at a computer screen and dictating into the machine, and the text would appear directly on the computer.  Then he can read what he said and put it directly into the chart.  Then any doctor in the hospital ...

Is There Really A Future For MT Work?
Feb 03, 2010

I don't mean to start a downer post here, but I sincerely want to know if there is a future for MT work. I see posts by a few who have succeeded, at least somewhat, in the MT world.  However, these are very few.  Then there are those who were happy just to find a job, but a few months later, were let go because of no work.  There are some whom I know to be conscientious workers who were fired out of the blue.  Could this just be the company losing accounts and placing t ...

Future Job Outlook
Feb 09, 2010

I'm currently an MT, wanting to change careers.  In your opinion, what are the chances of coding going the way of MT with outsourcing to foreign countries and/or technology cutting back the number or coders needed? Any opinions would be appreciated.  I'm thinking about starting classes. ...

This Is Actually The Future For Transcriptionists, Sm
Aug 03, 2010

Go to this website.  Transcriptionists will no longer be needed in the future for transcribing or editing.  One of my friends told me the hospital she retired from is going to this system and their transcription department will eventually no longer exist.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGMEf11GmBo ...

TransTech In My Future?
Feb 09, 2011

I'm on the fence and need some advice.  I would like to make a move and I've applied to TransTech, but I think I might want to apply for an in-house position versus at-home position.  I have friends who work at TransTech,  but they are at-home MTs and they don't know how TransTech in-house MTs are set up or even how many there are.  Are there any in-house MTs for TransTech who could tell me why they chose the in-house versus at-home position?  Other than ...

EMR And The Future Of Transcription
Jul 27, 2011

With the president's health care reform he is giving incentives to doctors to switch to EMR.  From what I understand, if doctors have not switched over to EMR by 2014 they will be taxed.  What is the future of our business with this policy?  Especially the big transcription companies like Transcend? ...

The Future Of Coding
Aug 13, 2011

I am currently taking a program taught by a coder in my city.  It is very in depth and I will be able to sit for the CPC when I finish, but I am worried about the future of coding.  I read an article (I can't remember where but was in a health journal of some kind) that in 5 years coding will be mostly computer-assisted, documentation for coding will be 3/4 electronic, and coding staffing levels will be starting to decrease due to technology.  Who agrees with this?  Am I ...

Hope For The Future! Sm
Dec 18, 2011

I just finished typing a patient -   106 years old - NO past medical history, NO past surgical history, completely negative ROS, NO medications at all.  She came into the ER for a tooth abscess!  ...

No Future In This Industry?
Jun 29, 2012

I don't know why I'm posting, just a last bit of hope left in me.  I have devoted my entire adult life to this industry, what I used to consider a career. Over the decades, I became a top-notch professional MT, basically 100% accuracy, never needed QA help, and was a huge producer.   Fast forward 20 years, and I climbed up the ladder in our industry, joining QA, being a team lead, then up into management levels, and.... rather than have my salary 'commensurate with ...

Brighter Future?
Sep 01, 2012

You know, I just stumbled upon this website a week or so ago. Reading some of your post have really opened my eyes as to how lucky I am to have my position. I am semi-new to the MT world. I work for a wonderful company, but it makes me sad to see everyone has to put up with just insane working conditions from other companies.  I hope all of you find companies that realize you are their biggest asset. They cannot make deadlines, or quality goals without the hard work that all of you ...

Mmodal Future
Oct 15, 2012

So everything is going swimmingly for Mmodal - getting better in every way every day -- except, of course, for MT pay. ...

Future Of MT Redux
Feb 05, 2013

Hello, all! I am a new MT searching for my first job in the field. Just about a year ago, this forum was discussing EPIC, EMTs, technology and policies negatively impacting the medical transcriptionist.  What has your experience been? Any new thoughts concerning the future of MT? If you have a job, is it being impacted negatively, if at all? I'd love to hear from the job-hunters as well. Thanks. ...

Nuance's Future
Mar 10, 2013

....that says that Nuance is not doing well. It's stocks are down and they are losing accounts to more advanced speech technology. It also goes to say that there is a possibility that Nuance will be sold.     ...

To MTSOs, What Does The Future Look Like To You? Sm
Apr 16, 2013

Wondering what you small MTSO companies have lined up for the future?  We have discussed what MTs are possibly switching to in the near future and now I wonder if all of these small MTSO companies that might be making a good living now have a backup plan for when it all dries up?  ...

The Future Of Transcription
May 07, 2013

I had to take my two kids to the doctor the other day.  Thought I was lucky, because there were only 2 people in front of us, but it was TWO HOURS before we were called back.  Once I got back there, I saw why.  When the nurse came in to ask the pre-visit questions, she asked a MILLION questions and entered them all into her laptop, typing out what we said (typed VERY slow, by the way) and we were just on HER portion for over 45 minutes.  Then, the doctor came in and saw the kids and she spen ...

Coding Future
Jul 11, 2013

I am thinking about going back to school to get into another profession.  Coding is popular with MTs.  I am really afraid that coding will be going down the same road transcription has.  I am hearing things now with coding as I heard less than 10 years ago with transcription, i.e. off shoring, technology etc.  Does anyone have any helpful info about the coding field and what the future outlook is?  I have gone to websites to try to find this info and nothing seems helpfu ...

Future Ad For Transcriptionists
Mar 31, 2014

Ok, I am just venting some frustration here   Wanted: Experienced medical transcriptionist, VR experience.  Just for the privilege of doing transcription for us we will only charge you 3 cpl.  You may pay us by direct deposit each Friday.  The personal satisfaction you will receiving from being a part of making our company succeed and be profitable, along with satisfying the facility you are striving to put out perfect reports for should be enough for you, as we are t ...

Future Net At Diamond Bar
May 23, 2014

Does anyone know what is going on there now?  Looked like all the work was being forced into MModal and they ended up a couple days behind in their TAT.  Now the work looks like it is being fed back into regular typing and SR.  Just stringing the MTs along until they find enough newbies for MM maybe?  Sure do not trust them.  BTW the tone of the emails really changed after some posts here on this board described the beatings and nastigrams they were sending out. ...

Future Net SR/MModal
Aug 15, 2014

Has anyone used the new FNSR MModal platform?  Any thoughts?  Reportedly they are transferring the work from the prior MModal platform to one of their own at a rapid pace.  They could not be doing this unless someone is using it so curious who is using it and how it compares to the web based EHR program they are also still using for regular speech rec work. ...

Future Net Diamond Bar Again
Aug 27, 2014

Is anybody using the FNSR platform?  They were supposed to be getting away from the Mmodal platform to one of their own but there is no word on how that FNSR platform is going.  Go figure.  If anyone IS using it, what can you tell the rest of us? ...

The Future Of Coding?
Mar 31, 2015

So I am currently an MT with 10+ years under my belt. I decided to go to school for coding and switch careers while I still had the chance. I am currently saving up for school, and my tax refund is going to put me over the top so I can start next month. But now I am reading (on this board) about the possibility that coding is going to start going the way of transcription (i.e., automation, computerized coding, etc.) and that coding jobs are going to start losing value just as MT jobs have lost t ...

Future Net - Info On This Company?
Oct 15, 2009

Any info on this company?  Pay?  Platform?  Any work there?  Any info appreciated...:) ...