A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Future of no more medical transcription - li

Posted: Mar 22, 2011

Are you thinking of going into medical transcription for a career? Don't do it! The field is growing smaller every day, and soon will be gone completely. In Alaska, all the major hospitals have gone to voice recognition, and work is scarcer all the time. Look into medical coding maybe, or working in a doctor's office as an assistant or receptionist. DON'T GO INTO MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTION! Liza

Is this a news flash? - under a rock

[ In Reply To ..]
I have heard this same statement for about 12 years now.

I've heard it for 20 years. I win. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Yes, welcome to the world, Liza. But please don't recommend - people become office

[ In Reply To ..]
assistants. The pay's a fraction of what a good MT makes. Now, coding IS a viable option. It's not surprisingly harder to get into than office work but worth the effort. Only problem is, a lot of those jobs are being displaced too...

Cool down ... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The day computers will be strong enough to take over medical transcriptionist job, I think coders, assistants and receptionists and many others will be going back home as well.

I have heard this same statement for about 10 years now.

I think we're seeing a culling out, which is healthy in any job field occasionally - Not everyone should be working as an MT

[ In Reply To ..]
We've got thousands of MTs working who never should have been in this business. We all have horror stories of looking at our own medical records and seeing all sorts of errors, typos, etc. I've seen some of those that I know personally losing work.

You might think of it like this, how is the quality of your work? If a machine can do it better than you can, you are at risk. Work on your skills.

Some have good enough skills overall, but their attitudes and work habits are really bad. They are also at greater risk of not being hired or kept these days. Others are doing fine. There are some hiccups here and there with adjustments being made for changing technology, but things are looking up for those who have the right skills, attitudes, work habits, and are in the right place.

I want some of what you are smoking! - R U kidding me???

[ In Reply To ..]
"...things are looking up for those who have the right skills, attitudes, work habits, and are in the right place."

RIGHT! ;-)
I think it's true, although nothing is great these days in any business - No big surprise there
[ In Reply To ..]
I was just listening to the news. Statistic after statistic was, "the worst since records began being kept", the worst numbers for housing in (can't remember the number but it was high) number of years", "consumer confidence levels are..."

Nothing is good and the health care field is supposed to be an exception, but it isn't. We're hurting just like everyone else.
It is an exception, though. Jobs have been more stable - here, relatively, than in many fields. SM
[ In Reply To ..]
Of my last 2 fields, #s of insurance clerical jobs contracted tremendously and permanently due to technology. I don't know if I'd still have a job in that field, but do know there have been a lot of layoffs due to the bad economy. Like this field, some still have decent jobs, even if some had to take a pay cut, others have no job at all.

Real estate appraisal? Hah! Technology has displaced many skilled appraisers, replaced by low-paid people in sloppy clothes who go around and measure and take pictures for people in offices. Some appraisers are still doing well at the traditional job--or were until the market crashed. A few are actually in boom times specializing in foreclosures, but that's no comfort to the many with no job at all.

My job in healthcare has been far more stable than either of those, and I am glad to have during these times.

Whatever comes for the current survivors, there are many in this field who should not be. Shaking out by allowing people to succeed or fail over a long period is cruel and could be done much better, but it's happening anyway.
My own strategy is to hold on until the economy improves - if it ever does
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know if the economy ever will improve. This may be as good as it gets. If so, I'm happy to have a job at all.
Same here! I actually chose my current company - for (hopefully) stability. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x

I suppose there is a lot that can be said for denial. - down and out in the south

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to think it would never happen, until it happened to me....twice.....The acute care hospital I worked for outsourced their med rec to a service that uses VR....and then I was put on radiology only to be told three months later they were going with PowerScribe and I could actually be let got his time.....this after 12 years of employment. You cannot convince me this career field isn't dying.

It IS a dying field and those of us with experience know it! - Those who deny it...welll...

[ In Reply To ..]
It just hasn't happened to them...yet!

The only people who don't want you to know that this field is shriveling up are the MTSO owners and AHDI.

It's changing, but "experience" is not the whole story - It is not that simple

[ In Reply To ..]
Of course things are changing. They always have changed and always will. What I've been seeing personally is that there is a big difference in those with experience. Some have really excellent experience and expertise. Others have just been doing a lousy job for a long time and getting away with it.

I have several friends that I like very much. They have done exceptionally well for years. As much as I like them as people, their work stinks. I've always wondered how they kept a job. Not only that, but they hold themselves up as experts on message forums. Experience is not always a good thing, if it's years of poor experience where the MT is unwilling to update skills and/or do the work as required by that particular account. You wouldn't believe how many "experienced" MTs refuse to go by account specifics because, "I've never done it that way and my work has always been good enough for my employers in the past and I'm not just about to change it now." That's what I'm seeing.
VERY true, NotThatSimple. Question for others: - What if this work DOES evolve? Will
[ In Reply To ..]
you be among those who evolve with it or fall out along the way?

What if doom-sayers and those determined to see themselves as losers, this work experience already worthless, are doing themselves a terrible, terminal disservice? I'm not saying be a Pollyanna, but those refusing to consider possibilities ARE doomed to miss out on any that come along.

That said, again, I do also believe a culling process is going on. Those who will not become good at today's work (ever or once again) need to cut their losses and move on to something else. Big, gross clue where you fall right now: If income has fallen 1/4 or more in the past few years, or if income has never been enough to support yourself and save for a trip to Europe, you're not making the cut. So far.

Radiology is the first to suffer because it is the easiest - From what I have seen

[ In Reply To ..]
Radiology and Pathology are the first to go because they are easily automated. They use the same terms over and over. Those are not the sub-specialties to choose if you want to stay around for very long.

Transcription going away- doubt it - Ladonna

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know where the rest of you live, but transcription is not going anywhere soon here, at least not as long as we have dictators who yawn or chew food while they dictate or act like they are in a race, not to count all the foreign dictators who still cannot speak Emglish. If I can't understand them, no machine can, either.

Similar Messages:

The Future Of Medical Transcription... Sm
Dec 15, 2011

Now, don't shoot me because this is presented by the AAMT.  Just watch it and consider what our role will be in the coming years in the healtcare profession.  ...

The Future Of Medical Transcription
Sep 05, 2012

What do you feel is the future of the medical transcription profession?  In my area, the hospitals and their doctors' groups are switching over to voice recognition systems and not using traditional medical transcription.  Will I be out of a job soon?      ...

Future Of Medical Coders
Mar 18, 2013

With Epic coming abroad what is the future for coders. I just signed up to begin coding classes and would like more information before I proceed. ...

Is There Really Any Future For Newbie Medical Transcriptionists...?
Mar 09, 2010

...especially if we aren't perfect right away and someone like me who has had a home medical transcription job since graduating in September and was let go because I wasn't "perfect" in a month?? Plus, even though I studied my ass off, I failed 2 transcription tests for working with 2 medical transcription services. Please don't slander me about this. I know I'm not the only "newbie" graduated MT that has struggled with fitting in the medical transcription world!!!! ...

Newbie-Future Of Medical Transcriptionists?
Apr 28, 2011

I have gone through and read some of your posts.  I see that Andrews School, MTec, and possibly CareerStep are your top notch schools.  Is there still a need for transcriptionists?  I don't want to go out and spend all this money and not be able to find a job. I would like to be able to work from home as well. What are other's thoughts on this subject?  I have seen several that haven't been able to find a job.  I figured it would take me about 8-12 month ...

RHIT And Medical Coding Future
Oct 09, 2011

Does anyone have good input on whether medical scribes are the new medical transcriptionists only being filled my medical students, medical assistants or a part-time or piecemeal clerk at a lower rate (hourly or by piece) than medical transcriptionists -- if lower pay is even possible? Also, what are any inputs on RHIT and the medical coding future? I already have a bachelor's degree but thought about another associate degree in RHIT in a CAHIIM accredited program. From your viewpoint, wou ...

Future In Medical Coding / Billing
Feb 08, 2012

I have a question about coding and billing.  For three years in the '90s, I coded and transcribed for a small, rural, hospital.  I was responsible for outpatient, ER, inpatient, surgical etc. coding and transcription.  It was mostly ICD-9, and HCPC coding.  If I want to code from home in the future, what would you suggest I do, an online program?  Do you think coding from home would be an opportunity or do most hospitals/clinics/physicians require experience at a facility first, and wo ...

EMR And The Future Of Transcription
Jul 27, 2011

With the president's health care reform he is giving incentives to doctors to switch to EMR.  From what I understand, if doctors have not switched over to EMR by 2014 they will be taxed.  What is the future of our business with this policy?  Especially the big transcription companies like Transcend? ...

The Future Of Transcription
May 07, 2013

I had to take my two kids to the doctor the other day.  Thought I was lucky, because there were only 2 people in front of us, but it was TWO HOURS before we were called back.  Once I got back there, I saw why.  When the nurse came in to ask the pre-visit questions, she asked a MILLION questions and entered them all into her laptop, typing out what we said (typed VERY slow, by the way) and we were just on HER portion for over 45 minutes.  Then, the doctor came in and saw the kids and she spen ...

Radiology Transcription Future
Sep 22, 2011

There has been an obvious decrease in medical transcriptionist positions being advertised where I live.  However, I tend to see openings for radiology transcriptionists at the local hospitals.  Due to the nature of this work and the quick TAT needed, I wonder if radiology transcriptionists will always be in need or if it too will die off.  ...

Future Of Transcription - An Observation
Jan 29, 2012

It is my opinion that transcription, whether it be standard or voice, will be replaced altogether in the very near future.  There may be some little independent offices or hospitals that continue, but not for long.  I say this for 2 reasons.  One is that the hospital I worked for locally started withe EHR about 5 years ago and the introduction of VR about 3 years ago with the push for the doctors to do their own "point & click" type of transcription.  The software made a ...

The Future Of Transcription In India? Think We'll Get Our Jobs Back?
Jan 29, 2013

Wouldn't it be great if we got our jobs back?? Hey, I can dream.... ...

Future-Net. Guess I Must Have Flunked The Transcription Portion Of The Test
Feb 25, 2010

Really not expecting to hear back.  Left several blanks in 2 of the reports.  I have 30 years experience and can transcribe ESL, but on one-try, give me a break. ...

Medical Transcription At Home To Become A Medical Scribe?
Jan 20, 2015

Has anybody left medical transcription at home to become a medical scribe?  I have an opportunity to do so but there aren't any scribes currently in my area and I don't know anyone who has worked as a scribe before.  The scribe position starting pay is almost double what I make as an MT per hour so it is very tempting, I just don't know much about it. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me Info On August Medical Transcription Or Transcription South
May 29, 2013

I have found a few things on these companies but was looking to find a little more in depth information from past or current employees. ...

Prn Military Transcription/prn Medical Transcription
Jun 25, 2014

Anyone hear from them yet?  Over 1100 views, that means a billion resumes. ...

Offshore Transcription Stories Wanted- Medical Malpractice Cases Related To Offshore Transcription M
Oct 15, 2009

A legal contact was inquiring about the connection of medical mistakes related to off-shored transcription mistakes.  I have told him to review these boards and hopefully he will benefit from the information here.  While he did not discuss the exact case, I think that he will be able to use the off-shore transcription issue to his client's benefit or at least highlight that the provider in question does not have as rigorous control on processing records as other pr ...

What Is HB Medical Transcription???
Mar 06, 2010

I've been in the medical transcription industry for 16 years and dont have any clue what HB medical transcription is. There is a job posted which has been filled, but I for the life of me cannot figure that out, unless it is hispanic/bilingual.  Can someone help me out!  ...

VLC Medical Transcription
Jul 24, 2010

Does anyone know if the Virtual Learning Center still exists?  I am not getting any responses to emails to them.  The website has changed since the last time I looked at it.  Also, I thought they were supposed to be the third best of the top three medical transcription companies to learn from.  If they are not, who is?  ...

JLG Medical Transcription
Sep 09, 2010

Any info on JLG pros/cons, pay would be greatly appreciated. ...

Medical Transcription.
Jan 21, 2011

I have a certificate through Stratford Career Institute and have had a hard time trying to get employment. I don't have any prior experience in the medical transcription field and am very interested in getting pointed in the right direction on what to do from here on how I can further a career in this field. If anyone can be of some help please let me know. ...

Non Medical Transcription
Feb 02, 2011

I am an independent contractor. Have always charged per line count. Have an opportunity to transcribe 30 minute audio interviews. Any thoughts on what or how to charge for this? Thanks! ...

Qed Medical Transcription
Apr 02, 2011

Has anyone ever tried taking the typing test for QED transcription? For some reason I am not getting into the testing site.  '( ...

U.S. Transcription Non Medical
Sep 01, 2011

I answered an ad for U.S. Transcription posted on MT Jobs, was asked to test, and within an hour of submitting my test I was offered a job.  After my heart came down from a happy dance at an actual job offer, I found I really have some things to think about before I say yes. This would be for 2nd shift, non-medical transcription at 0.06/cpl for straight transcription, 0.03/cpl if a company provided template is used.  I suppose I need to ask what my expected production would be before ...

Looking At Going Into Medical Transcription
Nov 14, 2011

I am looking into the Medical Transcription field but wanted to get info about the field from those that are in it before I take the plunge.  I'm not looking at earning a huge salary or medical benefits etc, just some extra to help the HH income. I'm looking at Career Step for my certificate. Any factual info or career experience would be appreciated. ...

Same Day Medical Transcription
Mar 24, 2012

Has anyone heard anything about this transcription company or done any work for them?  What was your experience?  Thanks. ...

New To Medical Transcription
Apr 20, 2012

I'm fairly new to medical transcription. I received my certification in 2010 and was a little discouraged when applying for jobs and they were all looking for experienced agents to work from home. I've recently decided to start back looking for work and decided to offer my services free of charge just to get the experience so I can apply in a year or two for actual paying work. Has anyone else done this or know how to get started? Or even know someone who needs a transcription intern? ...

USA Medical Transcription, Inc.
May 03, 2012

Watch out for this company .... They seem a bit strange. ...

USA Medical Transcription, Inc ??
May 12, 2012

Has anyone heard of USA Medical Transcription, Inc?? I can't find a website for them although when I do a reverse (fax) number look-up, it says it's in Palm Beach, FL. Info is appreciated! ...

Anyone Ever Do Non-medical Transcription And Like It?
Sep 25, 2012

Anyone ever do non-medical transcription? I'm interested to know if you liked it. I tried it for a few days and just decided it wasn't for me. A lot of it was phone conversations and was very hard to understand and I ended up leaving lots of blanks. The pay was bad too and I gave it up today. It was like torture to me to sit and listen to this voice file and one was almost 2 hours long that I did not finish before I quit. Appreciate anyone's input into this. I am feeling ba ...