A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Job ads and AHIMA-approved programs - graduate

Posted: Apr 07, 2014

I have noticed some job ads which say they would consider a new graduate from an AHIMA-approved course. How do certain programs become an approved course? I had a very thorough course that is not ahima approved and would like to apply for those jobs but afraid I would be turned down. :/

Never hold back because of - what the ad says!

[ In Reply To ..]
You never know why ads say that! Maybe someone put it in there years ago and the person who does the hiring doesn't agree. Maybe they can't find anyone with those qualifications. Maybe you have something even better that they had not considered.

AHIMA-approval does not mean other programs are not good. Some great schools can't even apply because they don't meet administrative criteria, like participating in the federal student loan program.

That ad says it will consider new grads from an AHIMA-approved course. That tells me they are assuming the grad has no credentials, that they will consider them even without. It also tells me they can't find enough experienced, credentialed coders.

What about you? Do you have credentials? If so, you can say you have them. Does that meet their other requirement for credentials?

You can also show them that your school covered what an approved program covers. Just look up the eligibility requirements for the CCS and CCS-P. That's the gist of it. Compare that to some approved programs so you can see what the same courses look like. Now compare the to your school's program. Ask your school if they have something already written out. Now you can write in your cover letter that your school covered the same material that an approved course covers, namely A&P, pathophysiology, pharmacology, reimbursement methodology, basic and intermediate-advanced ICD and CPT coding, etc.

If you are not credentialed, you will have more difficulty convincing them, so you should get the CPC, at least, right away.

Never hold off on applying because you fear rejection. So what if they turn you down? They will turn down all but one of the QUALIFIED people, too. Just go ahead and apply anyway. The good job you do explaining your case may be enough to convince them you are exactly what they want.

Thank you so much! - graduate

[ In Reply To ..]
I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question and make me feel better! I am not credentialed yet, but I hope to at least have my CPC this summer. After I am credentialed I will apply to every job I can find. I don't really now because of not being credentialed. Thank you again so much!

Why the delay? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
OK, you took a course that you feel was really detailed, so you feel well-prepared, but you aren't planning to sit for the exam until summer? Unless the problem is that it isn't offered until then, why haven't you taken it?

If you are still "getting ready" and " reviewing" you might not be using your time productively. You get one free retake on that exam, within a year, so you should take it as soon as you can. If you don't pass, you can just take it again.

You might also use this time to get a job in or around coding so you can accumulate even a little experience to help with job applications.

The thing is that if your course was that good, you should be ready by now. You would know that and feel ready. If you don't feel ready, figure out why and really try to avoid delaying further.

To be honest, just scared. - graduate
[ In Reply To ..]
To really be honest, I have been terrified. I have been stewing on so many things since I have graduated. I feel like now I am finally ready to take the exams and get them out of the way. The drawback to waiting so long? My books are out of date, I will have to find a way to buy new ones, plus now I will have to brush up on it all again. Not that I mind, but I really could kick my own rear for waiting so long just because I was afraid of failing.

I did well in school, (I was in Andrews), but went through a phase where I wasn't sure if it was what I wanted to do and just plain ole fear.

I thank you so much for responding to my post.
Suggestion - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
There is nothing to fear. You already know the material. You took the best course there is. The test is also entirely multiple choice. You don't even have to code it! You can do the coding questions by looking up the codes in the answers real fast and eliminating the ones that are blatantly wrong.

If you graduated from Andrews, you could have passed the CPC halfway through. It doesn't cover inpatient or pathophysiology at all and hardly covers A&P. I don't think there is much, if any, billing info on it, either.

Please do this:

1. Look on the AAPC website for the next exam nearest you. Plan to take it. Print out the information on it.

2. Also on that website, find your local chapter. Contact them today and find when and where their monthly meeting is. Begin attending them and talking to members.

3. You need 2014 CPT and HCPCS, and 2013 *or* 2014 ICD-9.

4. Call Linda Andrews and explain your problem. See what she says. Ask if she knows of any job possibilities. What changed since you graduated? Ask if she has suggestions for books. Maybe you can borrow some.

5. Register for the exam. If you have time to review casually, do so. Otherwise, just take it with the attitude that you want to see what is on it. No hassle, no stress...just idle curiosity. You will probably pass. If not, well, the retake is free and now you know what to study. If you do have to retake it, definitely ask her to find you a mentor.

Do this NOW. Do not wait one more minute. You have a reprieve of about 6 to 12 months because of the delay in ICD-10. Once those exams change, I fear you have been out so long that you will have to take the course over again. And, you will miss the hiring push that is expected in the 6 months before the switch.

That course was written so that you would succeed in spite of yourself because they wanted you to have a better life. Please trust in them, and trust what I am telling you now, and go take that test.
Wow, that is SUCH great advice ... - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not the OP but gah if I'm ever feeling afraid or unsure of myself I hope I get advice like that.
Thank you so much! - Graduate
[ In Reply To ..]
I can't thank you enough for this advice! I promise I will follow it. I have been out since January 2013, do you still think that is too long? I had thought about buying some review books, because I do still remember, but I just think I need a brush-up. I really wish I would have taken it during that time while I was in school. I think there is one in May and another on in August in my location, so I will definitely take it this time.

Once again, thank you!!!
More suggestions - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Out too long? No, because you will be testing in the same thing you learned. THAT will come back to you. It only becomes too long if you keep waiting and have to test in ICD-10.

Right now, what you learned will come back to you. You are going directly from ICD-9 to what you stored away as ICD-9. Later, if you are testing in ICD-10, you will have to convert ICD-10 to ICD-9 in order to get to what you stored as ICD-9. That is much harder.

You do not need review books. Your course books are fine. They will contain the same material.

Your local AAPC chapter will have a review class maybe the day before the exam. Those can be very useful because they tell you about known test areas and tricks. If you are short on money, though, wait on that. You can always take it later if you happen not to pass.

Please take the one in May. That way, you have the August one in reserve.

Similar Messages:

Which Of The AHIMA-approved Coding Programs Are Good Quality?
May 08, 2014

Has anyone taken any of the AHIMA-approved coding programs and gotten credentials and a job? I'm just wondering which of them prepare you adequately to pass the credential tests and get hired. I looked on the AHIMA site at the distance learning coding programs they recommend, and here they are: Camden County College Career Step Dakota State University Great Falls College Montana State University Lone Star College North Dakota State College of Science Santa Barbara City College Shor ...

AHIMA Approved ?
Nov 03, 2011

I just checked the AHIMA website for coding programs and I noticed that they have Career Step on their list of "AHIMA approved coding programs" but I could not find Andrews School listed at all on their site.  Is AHIMA approval for coding as important as AHDI approval for transcription programs? Everyone recommends Andrews for coding but Im confused now. Could someone explain please. Also if it is important can you please let me know where you went to school for coding? I know Andrews and M ...

Is Andrews Approved By AHIMA?
Sep 21, 2010

It seems like a lot of people on this board have gone or are going to Andrews for coding.  I have seen a lot of jobs for coders where you obviously need to be certified but also have done your education through an AHIMA approved program.  Isn't Andrews NOT approved through AHIMA?  Wouldn't it be better for me to just do my training through AHIMA?  Seems like a lot of money to spend on a program that isn't recognized by AHIMA. ...

AHIMA-approved Coding Courses
Dec 28, 2012

I was looking at going to Andrews School for medical coding, but many employers want those trained in AHIMA-approved courses, and Andrews is not.  I see that Career Step is, so I may go for that.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!!! ...

Career Step And AHIMA Coding Programs
Apr 29, 2010

What is your experience with either of these schools in terms of relevance, quality of instruction, materials used, preparation for exam and coding on-the-job, responsiveness of the school? I'm considering both and would really appreciate your thoughts. Thank you! ...

Does It Take Anybody Forever To Get A Day Off Approved?
Mar 23, 2010

I asked off for 4 hours on a Friday in April to go see Elton John in another town. Still is not approved.  Hate to tell her, but I have the tickets, asked off in ample time and she can just get over it.  But it is still sitting as a "request" and not "granted" on Schedule Source.  I guess she will finally grant it THAT day when she sees the workload? ...

Not Paid For PTO Approved
Sep 11, 2012

So I requested to use 35 hours of PTO; check comes in mail and is way short.  Stub shows only 9.1 hours of PTO.  I HAD the time and it was APPROVED.  Does anyone know who I should contact about this?  I am hopping mad right now!!!!  Thanks in advance! ...

Has Anyone's CCM Approved Thanksgiving Yet?
Oct 12, 2012

x ...

PTO, Does It Take An Act Of Congress To Get It Approved--sm
Oct 01, 2013

I put in a request well over a month ago for half a day off and still have not seen a yay or nay.  It is getting close to the time I requested for and I have to say I am finding this quite ridiculous, especially when we are limited on how much we can carry over at the end of the year.  How can anyone make plans when it takes so long to approve or disapprove. ...

VP Hasnt Approved
Dec 31, 2014

"so the only choices you have at this time should you run out of work is to make-up the time, use PTO or Excused Absence – No Pay."  What's the diff, as long as it's excused?  I know this was discussed the other day, but I am still unclear on the difference.  TIA   ...

Problems Getting Time Off Approved
Feb 14, 2011

Was just wondering if anyone has problems getting time off approved when requested with the company they are working for? ...

OT Approved For North, But NJA! Sheesh! Nm
Mar 14, 2011

nm ...

Overtime Approved All Weekend
Apr 04, 2011

Now NJA on Monday morning, par for course.  So glad that the CCM is happy and will get a bonus.  Amazing that I can get up in such a good mood, everything going great, until I sit down to this computer.  All goes in the cra*pper after that.  ...

Yay! Overtime Is Approved With No Work Available
Sep 13, 2011

:( ...

OT Approved For North, But NJA? Sheesh! Nm
Feb 05, 2012

nm ...

15 Days Until Christmas, And Still Not Approved Or
Dec 10, 2012

denied by the CCM.  How are we supposed to make holiday plans, invite family to come to town, by plane tickets, etc., when they won't tell us until the last minute?? ...

Timecards Are Ready To Be Approved
Apr 01, 2014

Please approve timecards now.  Don't forget to approve timecards.  Timecards need to be approved ASAP.  The fall of humanity is imminant.  Please approve timecards immediately. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT HIS HOLY, APPROVE TIMECARDS RIGHT THIS INSTANT BEFORE WE ALL PERISH AS A RESULT OF YOUR NOT APPROVING YOUR TIMECARDS!!!!!!!! ...

Has Anyone Approved Their Time Card?
Mar 17, 2015

Anyone heard anything?  Are we just supposed to approve it or wait? ...

No Making Up Time Unless Approved By TSM
Jun 11, 2015

My TSM told us to not make up for NSA outside of our shift unless we touch base with her first to make sure all shifts have access to work. I know work is slim around the clock, but hoping this will even things out a bit.  Wondering how she is going to make sure some people aren't still booking in lines off their shift. Have to hope it helps. ...

When They Send Emails About A Backlog, Does It Mean OT Is Approved?
Apr 07, 2012

x ...

How Difficult Is It To Get Approved For Workers Comp?
Jul 10, 2013

Has anyone had success with WC claim? If so, can you provide some details so I can compare?  Thanks a bunch. ...

Still Haven't Approved Time Card Because Am Waiting For
Feb 17, 2010

a correction to be made (it's been 3 days!).  I'm wondering if I should go ahead and approve it anyway, even though if I do I will be short 3 hours for the week w/o the correction.  I'm afraid I won't be paid at all if I don't approve.  Does anyone know if you still get paid if your time card is not approved or approved late?  I wonder how long I should wait?  TIA ...

Are Timecards Approved Today? Haven't Heard From My TL. NM
Apr 14, 2014

xx ...

AHIMA/AAPC
Feb 25, 2011

Anyone out there a member of AHIMA or AAPC?  Did you join after you became certified, or before?  What are your thoughts about joining?   ...

AHIMA Training
Mar 23, 2011

Need some advice please.  I have just started the AHIMA coding course but after doing further research, I am thinking I may want to take the CPC exam first.  Does the AHIMA course prepare for taking the CPC?  Would it be appropriate to do this.  I think it is too late to change schools.  There are so many decisions to make.  I did do a vast amount of research before I chose but now I think it may be a litter harder than I first thought it was going to be, so maybe t ...

AHIMA Student
Apr 08, 2011

Hi all of you wannabe coders out there.  I have just finished my A&P course with AHIMA and am starting coding basics.  I would love to communicate those out there who are in this program, just starting out or previous students.  Let me know how far along you are and also what your background is.   I am very excited about getting to do this program.  I have been a transcriptionist for almost 20 years and am totally burned out, both physically and mentally.  ...

With The Changes AHIMA Is Putting Out
Sep 11, 2012

I am wondering if Andrews is still a good choice for a school. I was also thinking of calling Linda Andrews and seeing how these changes affect her course. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. ...

AHIMA And Other Questions
Sep 05, 2013

Has anyone classes through the AHIMA website? If so, did you like it? Is there any benefit of taking it through AHIMA versus Andrews? If you were a new student would you take the RHIA classes or CCS classes? Do you recommend getting a CCS-P as well? What is the best route to get the best return on your investment, ie if you are looking to make coding your career for the next 25+ years, which certificate/degree is the best one to get right now to lead you into a successful career? Any ...

12 Days Until Christmas & Still Not Approved Or Denied, Or Answering Emails.
Dec 13, 2012

x ...

FIRED DURING COMPANY-APPROVED LEAVE OF ABSENCE...IS THIS LEGAL?
May 28, 2013

I was "terminated" after within 1 week of my company-approved (FMLA) leave of absence.  The excuse they used was that my company "could not accommodate" a leave of absence for the extended period of time that I would be out of work.  I needed the extended leave of absence because I had CMC arthroplasty with pin placement.  My surgeon gave me a written note that stated I would be in a hand cast for 6 weeks followed by 6 weeks of physical therapy, and he would not ...