A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

AHIMA student - CCS bound

Posted: Apr 08, 2011

Hi all of you wannabe coders out there.  I have just finished my A&P course with AHIMA and am starting coding basics.  I would love to communicate those out there who are in this program, just starting out or previous students.  Let me know how far along you are and also what your background is.  

I am very excited about getting to do this program.  I have been a transcriptionist for almost 20 years and am totally burned out, both physically and mentally.  Transcription was a great field in my day.  It was the start of using computers for transcription and the internet so I was the first of all of my friends to get to work at home.  So, now all of that has changed and I am finally doing something I wish I had done years ago. 

I am from the Northeast and am ready for a difficult time finding a job because the job market here consists of openings for telemarketers and insurance salespeople mainly.  One thing on my side, I think, is my commitment to do a program like AHIMA's.  I have taken coding classes a couple of times in the past and they in no way preparated me for the real world of coding.  I could not even get an interview. It is time to get serious about this.  I ain't no spring chicken but that is to my advantage in some ways, or at least I tell myself that.

Sorry for bending your ear for so long.  Please write!!!

coding - cj

[ In Reply To ..]
I send you an email!

Welcome to the forum! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Student/ New Mt
Nov 28, 2009

I am currently a student and will be finished with my studies in a few weeks.  I really need some information on the software I will need in addition to MS Word/ Works and what pedal to get.  I also need direction on getting working as soon as possible.  Part time from home is what I really need as I am currently working a 40+ an hour job until I can go to full time transcribing.  Any information that would get me started in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. ...

EX VLC Student
Dec 29, 2009

Has anyone heard about what VLC has done to its students??? We have all been scammed!! Are there any of us out there? I saw a posting that said we could talk and post here.   Thanks ...

Student MTs???
Oct 01, 2010

Should student MTs be asking for word help in this forum? Is that a big no-no? Trying not to step on toes... ...

AHIMA/AAPC
Feb 25, 2011

Anyone out there a member of AHIMA or AAPC?  Did you join after you became certified, or before?  What are your thoughts about joining?   ...

AHIMA Training
Mar 23, 2011

Need some advice please.  I have just started the AHIMA coding course but after doing further research, I am thinking I may want to take the CPC exam first.  Does the AHIMA course prepare for taking the CPC?  Would it be appropriate to do this.  I think it is too late to change schools.  There are so many decisions to make.  I did do a vast amount of research before I chose but now I think it may be a litter harder than I first thought it was going to be, so maybe t ...

AHIMA Approved ?
Nov 03, 2011

I just checked the AHIMA website for coding programs and I noticed that they have Career Step on their list of "AHIMA approved coding programs" but I could not find Andrews School listed at all on their site.  Is AHIMA approval for coding as important as AHDI approval for transcription programs? Everyone recommends Andrews for coding but Im confused now. Could someone explain please. Also if it is important can you please let me know where you went to school for coding? I know Andrews and M ...

With The Changes AHIMA Is Putting Out
Sep 11, 2012

I am wondering if Andrews is still a good choice for a school. I was also thinking of calling Linda Andrews and seeing how these changes affect her course. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. ...

AHIMA And Other Questions
Sep 05, 2013

Has anyone classes through the AHIMA website? If so, did you like it? Is there any benefit of taking it through AHIMA versus Andrews? If you were a new student would you take the RHIA classes or CCS classes? Do you recommend getting a CCS-P as well? What is the best route to get the best return on your investment, ie if you are looking to make coding your career for the next 25+ years, which certificate/degree is the best one to get right now to lead you into a successful career? Any ...

Student With Many Questions
Jan 19, 2010

I am a student who really wants to go back to work!  I only have one more class and then I'm done with my transcription certificate but I'm having a hard time wanting to go back and finish my medical secretary diploma.  I'm also having a hard time trying to find an internship here in poe-dunk Iowa.  I just want someone else's opinion!  Can someone give me an idea??? ...

MT Student Needs Advice
Mar 10, 2010

My name is Chelsea and I am enrolled in the MT program at Allied Schools. I have been practicing transcription for about 3 weeks now and it is kicking my butt! I am freaking out and I just don't know what to do.. Any advice??  I feel like such a failure and I could really use any advice that ya'll have to offer.   Thanks! ...

Student Doctors!
Nov 04, 2010

Why, oh why, oh why can't the students hit the PAUSE button when they are dictating to gather their thoughts?  Why must I sit through listening to page turning, and "thinking" noises?  Meanwhile, time is money in this job ... and I really am getting tired of this!  My main account is a large teaching hospital, and so I get alot of students, residents, fellows ... etc.  <grrrrrrrrr> OK .. I feel better now that I just vented!  :) ...

Why Do Some Not Allow MS Word Student?
Jan 25, 2011

x ...

Student Rant
Jul 11, 2011

I am months away from completing an "associates degree" in MT at a well-known online "university."  As I have prepared to change careers and start finding a job, I have realized what you all seem to already know...the job pickings are slim at best, and NO ONE wants to hire a newbie.  In short, I have never felt so taken advantage of and just...scammed.  The education I have received is sub-par, with more time spent with unnecessary classes like "Keyboarding" than with classes tha ...

Prospective Student
Aug 07, 2011

HI everyone.  I'm seriously thinking of doing medical transcription as a career change.  I've been researching schools for about 4-6 months.  I realize that Andrews and M-Tec are considered the top two, but I just can't afford these schools.  I have read several posts on this forum and am wondering if it is possible to get schooling elsewhere that will give me the information I need to find a job and work successfully.  I've b ...

Anemia - Not A Student
Nov 01, 2012

How do you type this? …normocytic normochromic anemia …normocytic, normochromic anemia …normocytic/normochromic anemia …normocytic-normochromic anemia ...

HDS Student Employment
Oct 11, 2014

Do you know of anyone that hires  students that are about to graduate with a 4.0? ...

AHIMA (CCS) Versus AAPC (CPC) Which Is Better?
May 09, 2010

There is a lengthy debate as to which of two certifications CCS or CPC are good choices and which will yield better result. The AAPC webiste states that the CPC is a physician/provider-based coding cert. Hospitals are usually looking for facility-based coding certifications, as those credentials apply to their line of business & clinical setting.Hospital certified coders generally code in the hospital (e.g., CPC-H, CCS) and physician certified coders (e.g., CPC, CCS-P) usually code in provid ...

Is Andrews Approved By AHIMA?
Sep 21, 2010

It seems like a lot of people on this board have gone or are going to Andrews for coding.  I have seen a lot of jobs for coders where you obviously need to be certified but also have done your education through an AHIMA approved program.  Isn't Andrews NOT approved through AHIMA?  Wouldn't it be better for me to just do my training through AHIMA?  Seems like a lot of money to spend on a program that isn't recognized by AHIMA. ...

AHIMA Coding Course - Financial Aid
Nov 22, 2010

Does anyone know if the AHIMA coding course is eligible for the Pell grant or any other financial aid benefits? ...

When To Joint AHIMA And AAPC?
Jun 28, 2012

I am currently in Andrews and wonder when would be a good time to join these organizations? I checked out AHIMA and their student designation is only for approved schools, and since Andrews is not, I would have to pay the full price of $165 before taking the CCS exam. The exam itself costs 299 for members and 399 for nonmembers. For AAPC, their student membership costs 70 and does not seem to be tied to "approved schools." I'm just a low-paid MT and wondering if I should spring for thes ...

AHDI And AHIMA And Off-shoring
Aug 19, 2013

Where are AHDI and AHIMA in all of this?  We pay membership dues for them to be our "voice."  (Guess I'm delusional) ...

Certification - You Can't Sit For CCS With AHIMA Anymore
Nov 14, 2013

I was going to begin AHIMA program for coding but someone told me you can't sit for CCS with AHIMA anymore. The certification I want is CPC-H or CCS. Isn't AHIMA the gold standard for coding schools?? Why can't you sit for CCS anymore and where else can I look. Our local college only offers RHIT and I am not interested in that. Local hospitals want CCS or CPC-H. ...

Job Ads And AHIMA-approved Programs
Apr 07, 2014

I have noticed some job ads which say they would consider a new graduate from an AHIMA-approved course. How do certain programs become an approved course? I had a very thorough course that is not ahima approved and would like to apply for those jobs but afraid I would be turned down. :/ ...

AHIMA Salary Survey
Mar 29, 2015

See the AHIMA page below for a link to their 2012 salary survey, the latest one.  It includes coding salaries.  The national average was 49,222.   Their careers map is also on that page.  Very helpful so you can see where you can go from coding.     ...

Anyboby Ever Take AHIMA's A&P Class?
May 20, 2015

Just wondering is anyone has taken the AHIMA A&P class and what did you think of it?  I need an A&P class  but consider myself more of a visual learner.  Is is just reading chapters or are there videos explaining things in detail?  If you have a recommendation on another class, please feel free to advise.  Thanks here is the link: http://cancerregistryeducation.org/products/1190/anatomy-physiology-human-disease ...

Student Doing A Paper On Coding - Help
Apr 09, 2011

Hi all. I am doing a career exploration paper on medical coding. I need some interesting facts about medical coding. Can anyone explain how the ICD came about? Any other interesting facts would be appreciated! ...

MT Student With Visual Impairment
Sep 04, 2012

I am a new MT student that is visually impaired. I'm having a very difficult time with studies and keyboarding class. I'd like to find someone that has low or no vision that could tell me how they have gotten through classes and what devises and software systems they may have used. I feel like I'm out here doing this all by myself. Thanks, Brandi ...

Student With A Sequencing Question
Jun 17, 2013

I am a coding student and have a couple questions.  If a patient is admitted for aspiration pneumonia, has difficulty swallowing due to a previous stroke and has a stage 2 decuibuts ulcer on the buttock why is the sequencying in this order 507.0, 438.82, 707.05, 707.22 I get the principal diagnosis, but do not understand why the dysphagia is sequenced before the ulcer. My next one, admitted for E. coli UTI, on day 2 had exacerbatin of COPD, patient is on current therapy for hypertension ...

Coding Student, Freaking Out
Sep 12, 2013

I am a new coding student -- having taken three classes so far.  I was understanding everything, I thought, pretty well, and while I was not always able to get the right code, I always knew what I had done wrong.  But now V codes.  I can't find anything.   I don't even know what words to look up.   I feel like I'm lost.  Will this get easier?  I'm getting so discouraged.    ...

Anyone (who Has Student Loans For MT School) Try This...
Mar 08, 2014

Not that it would be possible, just something I myself have been looking into.  The trade school I went to, I paid a little over $12k for my MT course of 9 months.  The school is not AHDI certified.  I was told ( Back in 2009) that I could get a job right after graduation and be able to work from home.  I had great teachers who refused to just pass everyone (as some were instructed to do by the school so they could keep their accredidation from the state).   I was going ...