A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Personal Study Area - Bizzi One

Posted: Dec 23, 2011

I am getting ready to enroll this week with Andrews for medical coding, and am really looking forward to this new challenge and learning opportunity!!  After 30 years as a state employee, I'm actually switching careers. With that being said, I was just interested to find out "where" people like to study in their homes when studying 4-5 hours a night and working assignments.  Do you sit at a desk with the computer in front of you, or do you use the dining room table, a comfortable chair, or what?  Also, when studying, how much time are you having to use the computer?  I don't have a laptop, just a desktop computer, but am considering purchasing a laptop.  Just am curious is all.....  Thanks!

I think you're going to love it! - Owl

[ In Reply To ..]
As you can see from my moniker, I like to study late at night. Most of the time I work on a desktop computer, because it's a very organized work space. Occasionally I'll feel like working somewhere else in the house and I'll use the laptop, but not very often. I do much better if I use a real office environment with a planned schedule. Andrews will work with you to come up with a schedule or at least they have you post your goals and schedule to make sure you have a workable plan. I don't think you need a laptop unless you want one for some other reason in your life. You don't need one for the course.

Wherever you decide to study, I think you're going to love coding! I do.

love coding - owl - jan2

[ In Reply To ..]
Sounds like you studied at Andrews? Were you able to easily get a job afterwards, or did many places tell you that they required several years' experience? Thanks.

Also about to enroll... - Yes, me, too.

[ In Reply To ..]
and am terrified. With an aging mom and an aging friend, both of whom are increasingly relying on me to help them, a full-time job, and seemingly no spare time (no idea where the time goes!), I am so afraid I will not be able to keep up with studies. That is not going to stop me from trying, though. My dining table is rarely used for dining (just me here), so I am planning on using that. I like the portability of a laptop, so will be using that.

I wish you the best of luck, Bizzi One.

Advice - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are terrified, you need to take measures to deal with what is terrifying you. Terror is going to freeze you up. You'll sit there unable to do anything at all.

It appears that you fear not having enough time. This is a normal fear. Time to get over it, though. :)

Don't imagine that you are the only student with this problem. EVERY student has this problem. In fact, students who do not work and have nothing else to do often do far worse than students who work full time and have family responsibilities. Why? Because the latter are highly motivated and MUST control their time in order to succeed.

Well, no one EVER has enough time for anything unless they plan for it. Without a schedule of specific things to do, nobody ever gets anything done. If you have 8 hours, an hour's worth of study will take 8 hours. If you have 30 minutes, you'll study like you have a fire under your chair and you'll get it done.

You have to identify and carve out blocks of study time every day. It doesn't have to be a lot of time, but you have to devote yourself to STUDY and GET THE WORK DONE during that time. Two hours a day x 6 days will give you 12 hours a week. That should be more than enough.

There is a key to getting the work done. If you just "try" to make headway, you will never reach the end. What does this mean? It means that if you schedule "Monday evening, study 2 hours," nothing will happen. NOTHING will happen because that is not scheduling -- it's optimism or good intentions. :) You need good intentions, but you need a schedule more.

Instead, spend an hour at the beginning of the week identifying what you need to do and how to do it. Break it into daily portions. Schedule those portions -- like "Read pages 11-14" and "do exercises 20-30" -- for specific times. If it takes you 10 minutes per page, then "7:00-7:40, read pages 11-14." If each coding question takes you 6 minutes, then "8:00-9:00 do exercises 20-30, aim for 6 minutes each."

If you treat your studies as a second job with regular working hours for which you have to show up on time, during which you cannot answer the phone, listen to radio, watch TV, or do anything other than devoting your full attention to the job, you'll be fine.

Make an appointment with yourself for every study session. Use an appointment calendar -- be serious about this.

Nearly everyone can manage 2 hours a day no matter what else is going on. Expect high performance from yourself.

Thanks, Coder. - Yes, me, too.

[ In Reply To ..]
Did you read the book "The Other 8 Hours?" I ask because the author recommends breaking down tasks and scheduling as you suggested. That is something I am determined to do. What terrifies me, besides worrying about having enough time--yes, it IS time to get over that ; ) --is change and the unknown. I have been an MT for 25 years and having to go in another direction at my age (48) is unnerving, but I know I have to be proactive about my future. For me, the anticipation is always the worst. All kinds of doubts and worst-case scenarios are in my head now, but once I get the materials, I will calm down and wonder why I was so anxious. It is just my nature. Thanks to helpful people like you and others who post here, I have the motivation to do this. I will keep your post on hand, though, in case I lose focus and need a pep talk.
Some of us are old enough to be your parents! - See message
[ In Reply To ..]
Since some of us are old enough to be your parents, we won't let you get away with using age as an excuse. You're very young. You'll do fine. The advice the poster before me gave about time management is excellent! You would do well to print it off and read it occasionally to make sure you are on track.
I can relate - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I am also 47 and looking to get out of MT. Have been an MT for 10 years now, working at home. I worry more about finding a job and working outside the house than I do completing the course. But that is why I come to this board, people here are helpful and encouraging, helping me to realize it's gonna be okay. Thanks to you too for sharing, helps to know I am not the only one changing careers by 50.
Another Young Whipper-Snapper! :) - My Opinion
[ In Reply To ..]
The best career change I've ever made in my life was at age 45. Now if I were 65 and thinking about starting a brand new career in a new field that requires education and training, I might think twice, because 65 is considered to be retirement age. That would be a hindrance when you start the job search. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, but I would consider it carefully past 65 or so. Employers would probably think you wouldn't stay with them very long because you would want to retire, which you probably would.
You are the perfect age for coding - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
Instead of looking at this as a huge change, how about just seeing it as a wonderful new hobby? If you took up knitting would you feel stressed? Of course not. You would still want to do it well, but you would not feel a need to freak out about it.

When you get the materials, you are going to freak out, not relax. Code books are enough to make anyone run screaming for the door. They look far more intimidating than they are. All coding textbooks also begin with incomprehensible reams purporting to explain everything, but which you cannot grasp because you cannot code yet. You will read half a page and think you will hate it. I think that is when most would-be coders give up.

Keep this in mind when your materials arrive. Do not allow yourself to panic. The code book is quite simple to use and you will quickly figure that out. I recommend skimming over the first chapters in the textbook and just noting the TYPE of information there. When you need it, it will become clear. I am sure your instructor will tell you the same.

I see that I gave you good advice here. It applies to learning anything new. I am learning something new right now, as well. It has been terrifying me, too. It might be time for me to take my own advice! I just realized that I have been doing exactly what I told you not to do. Thank you for helping me see that!

I will check out that book. Thanks for mentioning it.

Computer time -- not much - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Andrews gives you textbooks and code books, so you'll need a table on which to spread those out while you study. It gets a little awkward if you try to do this in a chair or bed. You'll need good lighting, too, since code books have smallish print that is hard for older eyes to see.

Computer time won't be much -- just enough to send in your assignments and maybe google a disease or two. If you do not otherwise need a laptop, don't feel that you need to get one.

Computer time - Bizzi One

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks Coder...I always appreciate reading your posts and your helpful and encouraging advice. I'm about to turn 55, and starting this new career. Hopefully all will work out for me, as I intend to retire from my full time state job once I complete my medical coding with Andrews and obtain certification. With God's help and diretion I can then transition into a health career in coding. I am very excited! Again, thank you for your words of advice!

Similar Messages:

Ischiococcygeal Area Or Ishial And Coccyx Area?
Dec 21, 2014

QA picked this up.  I had ischiococcygeal area which I could find listed as one word on google, but I could not find it listed by search criteria which I separated the 2 words.  I can find ischial and coccyx, but not together as the dictator is stating.  The only thing that makes me wonder iif QA is right is the context before the words.  He stated he has 2 ulcers at the ischiococcygeal area.  It seems like in this case it would be ischial and coccyx, but I cannot docume ...

EMR - My Personal Experience
Nov 02, 2009

I have been an IC for past 13 years with all local physician office accounts. As of July this year, I now have only one left due to the use of the EMR. While those of you are saying that EMR will not phase out transcriptionist..well that may be so, but in my experience it has already phased me out. The doctors have sent absolutely no further dictation since they began using this and they told me they do not plan to. So, I am now out of a job that I really depended on. Just giving my perspective. ...

My Own Personal Survey
Feb 07, 2012

I was just watching the news, and the all the job openings with average annual income. What I would like to know is this: Is any MT at MM or any other MTSO able to make a living wage? Please be honest. I for one am not evening breaking $1000 a month anymore, and at one time I was able to make at least $36,000 a year. Thanks ...

My Personal Best Links For MT
Oct 13, 2012

LAB VALUES:   http://musom.marshall.edu/usmle/usmlelabvalues.htm CHEMO DRUGS:  http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/drug-info/default.aspx NATIONAL PROVIDER SEARCH: http://nynpi.com/ DRUGS: https://online.epocrates.com/  (type your drug in the box. No need to register) BACTERIA:  http://www.thegreatdictator.com/bacteria/ GENERAL MEDICAL REFERENCE:  http://www.fpnotebook.com/index.htm AIDS MEDS: http://www.aidsmeds.com/list.shtml I hope this helps ...

Personal Email
Aug 15, 2014

I'm just warning everybody that I received a "sales ad" for some pharmaceuticals in my personal email, with a return email address that specifically stated it was through [MTStars]****@****. so someone got my personal email address from this board, from someone on HERE, and not just by responding to a post, and sent me a link to selling medications. I never respond to any posting here through email, so no one has access to my email address except MTStars themselves. I did report it to MT ...

Even With My Issues I Have Going On In My Personal Life
Sep 12, 2012

I am still getting out of this biz and going back to school.  I have panic with agoraphobia, but I cannot keep waiting for my SSI to be approved.  I have already been denied once.  The therapist I am seeing gave me hope and for that I am very thankful!  I found out I can go to a 2-year school and have my bills taken care of.  Thank God for that! ...

Charging On Personal Accts
May 29, 2013

Okay, I am still a bit confused.  I admit I have been spoiled by being an IC for years.  I have a chance to pick up a couple of side accounts, but after talking to them they just think they can dictate into something at my home and I will magically be able to hear their dictation. I am totally not well versed with all these computer programs.  Can someone explain to me whether it would be worth getting some kind of program to be able to do this?  It seems costly to be able to ...

No Matter What Your Personal Feelings Are
Mar 11, 2014

Okay you hate MM and you think this is just another trick they are pulling.  Then don't apply for the coding training.  But please do not discourage other people from going for it.  This could turn out to be a great opportunity for them. ...

So What Happens If You Have A Personal/family Emergency ..... Sm
Jul 08, 2014

and have to take time off at the last minute? And have no PTO time? Will I be fired? ...

Has Anyone Refused To Put LANDesk On Their Personal PC & What
Oct 11, 2014

x ...

Personal Stand: MT And ME Line Rates (sm)
Nov 09, 2009

I have decided I will not accept any MT transcription rates lower than 9 cpl (in an employee position) or 11 cpl (in an IC position).  For medical editing, I'm not going to work for lower than 50% of the transcription rate.  For me, it will just not be worth it to do it for less.  I am willing to go work inhouse and even do other work rather than to accept line rates lower than this.  I see one keeps putting up the same ad with 8 cpl for MT work and 3 cpl for editing a ...

I WANT MY PERSONAL HIPAA INFO PUBLIC
Aug 23, 2012

When is it that our private information is so sacred.  How about posting online all my ailments.  Does it really matter?  Is it not coincidental that AAMT in their day, and others wanting $$, happened to push HIPAA through at a time when no one really cared?  It is a scam, just a department builder of jobs.  When is it that our ailments are so secret?  ...

Personal Request To Those Needing Word Help...
Nov 11, 2012

I understand you're worried about posting too much information, and that's a good thing, but we really do need a little more information than simply the s/l word/term you're having trouble with. If you feel comfortable giving the sentence, that's great.  If not, then maybe some context like whether the term is an instrument, a body part, a medication, or a disease, the report type (H&P, op, etc.) , what part of the body it's pertaining to, whethe ...

Personal Accounts And Amount To Charge?
May 27, 2013

Just wondering......I am an IC right now, but I have the opportunity to pick up some extra work from my own personal physician.  He was asking if I could type some of his more complicated PFT reports that he does not want to do on the EMR program they have.  I have not done any personal account work for a very very long time.  Back when I had accounts....we would go pick up the cassette, print out the stuff and take it back.  I was wondering if anyone out there has any person ...

My Personal Favorite Is The One That Starts Sure Don't Mean To Scare You
Sep 24, 2014

No conscience, this LG, hired to slash, and slash she is good at! l shudder to recount all the I.D. numbers I've seen come and go from her matrices. If you were just switched to one of her accounts, beware, there is only one reason for that! She is on the AB (COM) team last I knew.  ...

Can We All Take A Time-out On The Personal And Negative Posts On This Site?
Jan 16, 2012

It's so difficult to continue reading this site when the negativity and personal attacks have become rampant. One has to sift through the garbage to get to any real informative posts and it's getting out of control. Someone is upset about the negative posts and then she goes on a tirade of name calling directed at the negative poster, and thus becomes an even bigger looking jerk in the process. I don't know what the answer is...maybe we can try to concentrate on the post rather t ...

Today I've Decided On A Personal Protest Step To Help Myself.
May 01, 2012

My company has always invited us to create and store template dictations for common use by everyone. I've made many and been happy to share, and since they're good quality they're used by many, even some dictators to set up their own formal templates. It's always pleased me to be a team player, but, let's face it, this is only one more thing that allows my company to hire less skilled people and lower the line rates it pays me.  Just BTW, I figure it costs me proba ...

Poll: Is Your Work PC Your Own Personal PC Or Company-owned?
Jul 17, 2012

Click Like for yes, it is company-owned (and covered if it crashes, i.e., money does not have to come out of your pocket)   Click Dislike for no, it is your own personal PC (and not covered if it crashes, you get no money to cover it and have to shell out $500 for a new PC). ...

Major Errors Today - 5 In 1 Hour A Personal Best!
Jul 31, 2013

x ...

I Need Help Transferring My Esp From Word Client To My Personal Computer
Jul 13, 2014

Hi: I need to move my expanded phrases and sentences from word client to my personal computer. I want to put them in autocorrect on Microsoft 2007. I do not know how to do this. I don't see much online about import/export from word client to auto correct. If anyone knows of a converting program or how to do it step by step, please let me know. Thanks for your help.   Take Care, Jay ...

DVT Study
Dec 27, 2011

In a DVT study, "Findings are most suggestive of chronic or past/passed?? clot" Thanks!! ...

Study Should Be Done
Jan 27, 2012

I think if a study were done, findings would show that the tediousness and repetitiveness and intricacy of the editing required for this particular ASR will slowly but surely drive you insane.  I am so nervous, I chew gum like a wild woman (and now need my second crown which I cannot afford), have developed tics and skin picking, and eat voraciously --- due to editing.  Flame away, but I have typed for 25+ years and never had a problem (actually enjoyed my job); however, after 5 or so ...

Can We Use Our Personal Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard And Mouse With MQs Computer?nm
Feb 20, 2011

nm ...

Coding Study On One's Own
Apr 25, 2010

I'd like to begin studying medical coding on my own to see if it it's a match iin terms of learning and liking the field. I have 30+ years of transcription experience and usually learn fairly quickly. What books/workbooks do you suggest as a start to see if this feels like it will work for me? And for people who have done this on your own, what did you include in a program of study for yourself? Are there some areas that you feel an in-house course is needed?  Replies greatly app ...

Study Hours
Jul 25, 2010

I am looking forward to enrolling in a medical coding class through Andrews School this fall.  I was curious as to how many hours a night or week a student puts in studying.  I work full time, and also have a prn evening job doing transcription in the community that I live.  Those hours are flexible.  Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks! ...

CMT Study Materials?
Sep 01, 2010

Does anyone know of a good study guide/review book for the CMT? ...

Shoulder Study
Jan 12, 2011

new to this account.....he says I also performed injection of her tendon sheath of her extensor tendon insertion origin with 1 cc of Lidocaine and 1 cc of Kenalog.  Her ?JMARS? are left 18, 21, and 21 and right 10, 16, 18. ...

Help With An Echo Study
Jul 17, 2012

This is a technically fair study. The left ventricle was normal within its end-diastolic dimension??? ...

SETA Study?
Jul 17, 2012

The patient comes with watery diarrhea and weakness.  He underwent a "SETA" study?  Thanks so much! ...

Study Time
Sep 16, 2012

I  know it varies from person to person, but how many hours per day/week do students estimate they put in for an on-line coding class?  Thanks in advance.  ...