A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Personal accounts and amount to charge? - Just an old MT

Posted: May 27, 2013

Just wondering......I am an IC right now, but I have the opportunity to pick up some extra work from my own personal physician.  He was asking if I could type some of his more complicated PFT reports that he does not want to do on the EMR program they have.  I have not done any personal account work for a very very long time.  Back when I had accounts....we would go pick up the cassette, print out the stuff and take it back.  I was wondering if anyone out there has any personal accounts and knows what the going rate is.  I would not have a clue what to charge and he asked me that.  Also, wouldn't he have to have some kind of program or something for me to be able to work on?  I am so out of the loop on this. 

Thanks

Clients - 2bz2sleep

[ In Reply To ..]
You would either have to provide a dictation system or digital recorders, FTP, etc., or if he wants a platform....? Check your area for pricing, but I live in Newport Beach, CA, and am extremely lucky to get 10-12 cpl, 12 cpl being for acute care, instant TAT. Then, you have to have phone lines, fax, secure email.... If it is only 1 physician, you can use a TASP for a lot cheaper than a dictation system.

platform? he's EMR and only one doctor on tapes. doubt he would 'want' platform - certainly does not require one. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
-

Here's what I do...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I have one private client, a cardiologist who is ESL. When I was in-house (since been outsourced), he came into the MT room and asked who would like to do his office work in his EMR because surprise, surprise, we were able to understand him really well. I was the only one interested. His office manager called and we set it up this way. He dictated on a microcassette or two, and I picked them up once a week. His office is across the street from the hospital. She set me up to be able to get into their EMR program from home and showed me which sections I needed to go to that would accommodate a narrative style dictation as opposed to checking off boxes, etc. I already had a microcassette player from the old days. I could tell he was so happy to have found someone who understood him and because his command of English grammar, etc., was not the greatest, he was just ecstatic. I asked them for 0.14line. BUT in order to be able to count characters and divide by 65, I transcribe in a word document, then cut and paste into the sections of the EMR. Then I take the word document and do my line count in word with characters and spaces x 0.14 and that is what I invoice for that dictation date/tape. I/you could also get set up with digital transcription. The doctor would have to buy a digital recorder and upload the dictation to his computer to your site on your computer which is called an FTP (file transfer protocol) site. There are also some programs like My Docs on Line that you can subscribe to which include the FTP and the player, otherwise you would need to have a player like Express Scribe or some other program of which there are many. You would follow the same procedure, type it in word and cut and paste into the EMR. If I were you, I would find out how much work he thinks he might send your way and whether you could get into his EMR from home, whether he wants to use tapes or go digital. He may already have this equipment, you never know. In your case, I wouldn't ask for less than 0.12/line. My Docs on Line costs $30 a month, but you can use it for 3 different docs. You would count this as a business expense or bill it as surcharge in addition to his line charge. Any questions, please ask. Remember, you should have a contract outlining everything you agree upon. I also bill him about twice a month, unless he doesn't dictate much and then I do it only once a month.

TASP...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
My Docs on Line is a TASP. I think there is another one called DocShuttle. Just google TASP. I personally wouldn't furnish a digital recorder as they are pretty pricey. If he wants to go digital I'd let him get his own or he may already have one, you never know. If you do have to buy one, then I'd lease it to him with a monthly charge.

how much to charge - mari

[ In Reply To ..]
I type for a couple local physicians...12 cents a line is the least I charge. I don't charge tax, and I don't charge for corrections. I feel that because I have no paid sick days, vacation, medical insurance, etc., and pay my own taxes as an independent contractor, not to mention have 25 years experience, 12 cents per 65 character line is very fair. Good luck!! Don't sell yourself short, if you have experience, charge for it!

Similar Messages:

Same Amount Of Work, Less Pay?
Dec 04, 2013

Does anyone else suspect their company is fiddling with the software, thereby paying less to MTs for the same amount of work?  I switched accounts last summer, within the same company, to a hospital that pays more, sure that my pay would increase.  Lo and behold, I just noticed on my paycheck that I'll make about 5,000 to 8,000 less this year than last, and, if anything, I'm working more hours.  Truly infuriating because there is no way to prove it. ...

Does Anyone Know The Down Time Amount From-SM
Feb 27, 2014

Tuesday.  I need to see how much "time" I need to make up to get my hours in....ugh! ...

What Do You Think Is An Acceptable Amount Of
Jun 21, 2014

ESL per account for .07 cents a line? I have been getting 2 in 3 ESL for the last 3 months now. Never used to be that way. Not just ESL, but difficult ESL that do 15 to 20 minutes at a time. They changed on me without saying anything. Is this a normal amount or am I being used? ...

Expression Of Dollar Amount. Please See Msg.
Nov 16, 2009

Doctor says: "She is carrying about 12 to 15 thousand dollars in credit card debt." Do I put it $12 to $15 thousand, $12,000 or $15,000 or as above? Thanks. ...

Zylomed - Amount Of Work?
Aug 06, 2010

I recently started with Zylomed and I am a 'floater'.  Does anyone have any experience with this company and if there is enough work as a floater?  I am trying to decide if I want to keep doing this or just take on some accounts that would be my own. Thanx!! (:   ...

What Does $1 Per Audio Minute Amount To? SM
Jul 12, 2013

I've never been paid per audio minute.  What would 1 dollar per audio minute come to if I can type 300 lines per hour?  Does anyone have an equation I can plug the numbers in to or any idea what a ballpark figure would be for this?  Thanks.   ...

Amount Per Audio Minute
Jun 01, 2015

Hi there.  Does anybody know what the going rate per audio minute is?  I'm used to getting paid hourly.  Thanks all! ...

Being Paid A Lower Amount Than Promised
Dec 18, 2009

Has anyone ever signed a contract with a company that specified a certain cpl and then when you started, you discovered that you  were being  paid a full cent less, with no explanation?  How did you handle it? ...

EMR - My Personal Experience
Nov 02, 2009

I have been an IC for past 13 years with all local physician office accounts. As of July this year, I now have only one left due to the use of the EMR. While those of you are saying that EMR will not phase out transcriptionist..well that may be so, but in my experience it has already phased me out. The doctors have sent absolutely no further dictation since they began using this and they told me they do not plan to. So, I am now out of a job that I really depended on. Just giving my perspective. ...

My Own Personal Survey
Feb 07, 2012

I was just watching the news, and the all the job openings with average annual income. What I would like to know is this: Is any MT at MM or any other MTSO able to make a living wage? Please be honest. I for one am not evening breaking $1000 a month anymore, and at one time I was able to make at least $36,000 a year. Thanks ...

My Personal Best Links For MT
Oct 13, 2012

LAB VALUES:   http://musom.marshall.edu/usmle/usmlelabvalues.htm CHEMO DRUGS:  http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/drug-info/default.aspx NATIONAL PROVIDER SEARCH: http://nynpi.com/ DRUGS: https://online.epocrates.com/  (type your drug in the box. No need to register) BACTERIA:  http://www.thegreatdictator.com/bacteria/ GENERAL MEDICAL REFERENCE:  http://www.fpnotebook.com/index.htm AIDS MEDS: http://www.aidsmeds.com/list.shtml I hope this helps ...

Personal Email
Aug 15, 2014

I'm just warning everybody that I received a "sales ad" for some pharmaceuticals in my personal email, with a return email address that specifically stated it was through [MTStars]****@****. so someone got my personal email address from this board, from someone on HERE, and not just by responding to a post, and sent me a link to selling medications. I never respond to any posting here through email, so no one has access to my email address except MTStars themselves. I did report it to MT ...

For Anyone That Works At TTS Are The Accounts Difficult Accounts And
Jul 09, 2013

how is the platform.  I know people have negative comments about them but are there any positive ones.  I would only try it PT and IC.  Not sure that would work out or not.  ...

I Assume The Bayscribe Accounts Are The Old MDI-MD Accounts -- Sm
Jan 30, 2014

is that correct? If so, are CB and DF still involved? I love Bayscribe, and I was thinking about biting the bullet and applying to Nuance for some PT work, but I kind of butted heads with the 2 ladies and so I don't want to waste my time. Thanks for your input. ...

What Do You Guys Think Is An Appropriate Amount Of Time For Research For A Report?
Oct 14, 2009

For say a syndrome, a drug, a doctor's name/address, facility name/address, etc.?  If I think I can hear the dictation correctly I do spend an extended amount of time because I KNOW I can find it.  However, if it is ify as to what I am hearing or the spellings could be a dozen different things, I ususally send to QA because if I am not sure - it's probably going to end up to QA anyway.  I NEVER look up a doctor's name if the first name is not dictate ...

Taxes - Got Back A Lot Less Than Last Year Yet Made The Same Amount
Feb 12, 2010

Well got taxes done and got back a lot less than last year yet made the same amount. Did they change something? This is so discouraging.  ...

Transcend Xmas Gift Card Amount?
Dec 20, 2011

Since I did not get a gift card yet, I'm curious about the dollar amount on it.  Please don't tell me its a $5 gift card to Starbucks. ...

Question About Audio Hour Pay/amount Of Lines
Aug 20, 2012

Not sure if this is on the right board but it's about a general transcription question so I think so.  Does anone have an idea of how many lines someone would type in an audio hour of transcription?  Sorry if that sounds like a ditzy question but since I have always been paid by the line am wondering about being paid by the audio hour.  Any input would be appreciated.This would be general transcription. ...

I Have No Patience For The Amount Of Corrections Needed Today!
Oct 12, 2013

I swear the speech engine just makes up the output as it has no resemblence to what the doctor says! We got a note stating we were making too many errors and our quality had gone down, with a side note that QAM knows we are struggling to maintain our counts, but this does not matter. Every once in a while I get told to slow down. Heck,I doing the best with what I have and the fatigue of doing this all day. Only minor errors such as leaving in an extra pronoun or such. I don't ...

Question On Amount Of Audited Reports - Nuance
Jan 05, 2015

I'm wondering, how many reports on average are pulled each week for audit?  Does anyone find it varies, for example, they may pull 1 or 2 one week then 7 or 8 (that are all 100% accurate) the next week, but keep pulling until they find something to knock down your accuracy rating for that pay week so you end up with 12 or 13 reports audited?  ...

Personal Study Area
Dec 23, 2011

I am getting ready to enroll this week with Andrews for medical coding, and am really looking forward to this new challenge and learning opportunity!!  After 30 years as a state employee, I'm actually switching careers. With that being said, I was just interested to find out "where" people like to study in their homes when studying 4-5 hours a night and working assignments.  Do you sit at a desk with the computer in front of you, or do you use the dining room table, a comfortable ...

Even With My Issues I Have Going On In My Personal Life
Sep 12, 2012

I am still getting out of this biz and going back to school.  I have panic with agoraphobia, but I cannot keep waiting for my SSI to be approved.  I have already been denied once.  The therapist I am seeing gave me hope and for that I am very thankful!  I found out I can go to a 2-year school and have my bills taken care of.  Thank God for that! ...

Charging On Personal Accts
May 29, 2013

Okay, I am still a bit confused.  I admit I have been spoiled by being an IC for years.  I have a chance to pick up a couple of side accounts, but after talking to them they just think they can dictate into something at my home and I will magically be able to hear their dictation. I am totally not well versed with all these computer programs.  Can someone explain to me whether it would be worth getting some kind of program to be able to do this?  It seems costly to be able to ...

No Matter What Your Personal Feelings Are
Mar 11, 2014

Okay you hate MM and you think this is just another trick they are pulling.  Then don't apply for the coding training.  But please do not discourage other people from going for it.  This could turn out to be a great opportunity for them. ...

So What Happens If You Have A Personal/family Emergency ..... Sm
Jul 08, 2014

and have to take time off at the last minute? And have no PTO time? Will I be fired? ...

Has Anyone Refused To Put LANDesk On Their Personal PC & What
Oct 11, 2014

x ...

Those Working In Hospital What Is The Minimal Amount Of Minutes Required
Jan 27, 2010

I started this job back in April, when this hospital decided to bring its transcriptionists back in-house.  Small 200 bed hospital and they hired another person and myself.  We both have 30 years experience, but she is more so clinic specialty (ophthalmology) and myself all acute-care with 10 of those years working for MTSO.  There is no set minimum of lines nor minutes; however, the work is very much backlogged and now they are looking closer at our production as it relates to mi ...

Is It Common To Have A Limited Amount Of Work During The Summer Season?
Aug 05, 2012

I'm curious if this is throughout a lot of MT companies where the summer seasons are the slowest in terms of receiving work. I used to have an abundunt amount of doctors to transcribe for across multiple accounts, but now all of a sudden that has changed, and I am almost always out of work and I no longer transcribe for what I'm estimating as half to 3/4 of the list of docs. Is this something normal? Do doctors get together and take a 3-month hiatus at once, or something...? I'm p ...

Weird But It Seems I Am Doing The Same Amount Of Work But Lower Line Count
Apr 26, 2013

did they possibly change the character count per line so we make less money? ...

Personal Stand: MT And ME Line Rates (sm)
Nov 09, 2009

I have decided I will not accept any MT transcription rates lower than 9 cpl (in an employee position) or 11 cpl (in an IC position).  For medical editing, I'm not going to work for lower than 50% of the transcription rate.  For me, it will just not be worth it to do it for less.  I am willing to go work inhouse and even do other work rather than to accept line rates lower than this.  I see one keeps putting up the same ad with 8 cpl for MT work and 3 cpl for editing a ...