A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

CareerStep or AAPC - Maya

Posted: Feb 08, 2015

I know this question has been asked in the past, but most replies are 3-4 years old.  Looking at both programs, anybody taken either course?  Which would be the better of the two?  Also has anyone who has graduated from the CareerStep program gained employment with IOD? Thank you for your input!

There are posts below on this very page about - both of them.

[ In Reply To ..]
Not sure why you feel nothing has been said about them in 3 or 4 years, because they are discussed below on this page and on previous month's pages. There are even comments about the IOD arrangement on this page.

I took the AAPC course. It was offered by my employer. I did Andrews previously. Compared to what Andrews taught, the AAPC course seemed skimpy, but it only covered outpatient coding. It was fine for that, I guess. The materials were accurate and almost everyone passed the CPC afterward. I recommend Andrews because it maximizes your opportunities and employability, but if you are strapped for cash and only interested in outpatient, AAPC is not a bad choice.

Thanks but - Maya

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks, and yes I read everything on the page but I there was no definite answer to the quality of education received from either program. Everything came back to Andrews, could really care less that Careerstep offers free laptops seems gimmicky.

I was just trying to find out from those who took the programs if they felt prepared. In my area most jobs are related to outpatient and acute care so I think the AAPC will cover that. The reason I was looking at Careerstep was their new deal with IOD, I wanted to know if anyone HAD gained employment through them, or was this another gimmick.

Acute care is inpatient coding. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The AAPC course does NOT prepare you for acute care, which is inpatient, coding. It only covers strictly outpatient. It covers only physician services.

There had been a 25% unemployment rate for new CPC-As. That has improved a bit, it seems, but it is still a risk.

You won't find many negative opinions about programs that might sue you for saying them, you know.

I am aware - Maya
[ In Reply To ..]
I am aware of that....so this is not a complete course?
https://www.aapc.com/certification/cic-inpatient-coding.aspx

From their site the offer physician, outpatient and inpatient certifications.
Explanation - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
AAPC offers their original course, the CPC, which covers physician office (outpatient) coding. That is their basic course. Most people start with that for very good reasons. It covers anything done in physician's office, as well as their professional services performed outside their office, like when they do surgery or see patients in a hospital.

Their COC, which was their CPC-H, covers what a facility like a hospital would code and bill for outpatient events like radiology, lab, surgery, and others done on people who are not admitted to inpatient status.

The CIC, their newest certification, is just a few months old. According to what they say, it covers inpatient coding.
:/
To put this into perspective for you, these 3 courses -- that appeal to you because they each cost less -- are each less than one-third of what Andrews teaches. In addition, Andrews covers the material you must take before being allowed to sit for the CCS: AP, pathophysiology, reimbursement methods, etc. (The list is on the AHIMA website.)

This sounds like a bargain until you add the cost of all 3 AAPC courses, which then EXCEEDS Andrews, and has no instructors, and realize that you can't sit for the CCS. The preferred credential in hospitals is the CCS. Hospital HIM is staffed by AHIMA credentialed individuals, for the most part. Many of them do not recognize AAPC credentials, which have the reputation of being less stringent because -- having several of both I can tell you -- they are.

I think it is unwise to expect to get a Iniche job in just hospital outpatient or just in inpatient, because those are the smallest areas in coding. You want to be able to take ANY job, not just a few specialized jobs.

I would not want to be trying to get a first job with a credential no one has heard of yet, either.

If you choose AAPC, take the CPC course, but recognize that it is less than one-third of the story.

Thank you - Maya
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for the info

Maya - BTDT

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are on the coding boards long enough you will learn that Andrews pops up all the time, as it did in this thread, even though your questions did not pertain to them at all. I did the Career Step course and would not recommend it unless you are very good at independent study and possess a lot of self discipline. It's been a while, but at the time their course material contained quite a few mistakes. I am not familiar with IOD. AAPC is a well respected program. You might also want to look into some the programs offered by AHIMA.
Thank you - Maya
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your honest opinion! That is what I was trying to figure out, everything always came back to Andrews. I checked into the AHIMA program and it is still under-construction for the ICD10 I believe. The only reason I looked at CareerStep was due to they are AHIMA approved and looked like a comprehensive program. I thank you for your input, just thinking of changing careers for the "golden years".
Why everything seems to go back to Andrews. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
You hear a lot about Andrews here because there are a number of successful grads here and some of them have had enough experience to be able to compare programs.

If you look at the responses you got, no one told you to go to Andrews. They just used them in comparison, and they did that because you did not seem to understand what the job market is like, what will appeal to employers, what the certification requirements are, or what the courses contain.

You also aren't aware that some people who offer advice here took the Brand X course and could never get a job.

If you want to take that AAPC course, do so. Come back in 6 months and tell us about your experience. I would love to hear a success story.

Just FYI, AHIMA approval does not mean a program is good or that others are not good. It also does no t mean that you will meet the requirements for the CCS or CCS-P when you finish. AHIMA's own course does not meet the requirements. Many of their approved programs do not meet them.

If you want to do inpatient acute care coding, you need a CCS. Period.

Yes, AAPC is respected, but only in outpatient venues. Many AHIMA members do not respect them. Hospital HIM is staffed by AHIMA members. If you want a job there, it would behoove you to be a credentialed member, too. You are not going to get very far by thumbing your nose at them.

Similar Messages:

CareerStep
Aug 26, 2010

I just graduated from a school last month for medical transcription but feel like I'm not fully prepared and I'm not having any luck with employment or testing. I was thinking about enrolling in careerstep because I heard good things about them. Does anybody have any experience with them? Did you find employment afterwards and were you prepared well? Thank you. ...

Are Any Of U Careerstep.com Graduates?
Nov 01, 2009

I am about 2 weeks away from the final and would take any advise on the final, the job search and any other great advise you can give me. I am hoping to work from home to take care of my son. Good companies, bad companies? how is the pay for new graduates? ...

Anyone Who Took CareerStep Class
Nov 09, 2009

A friend of mine is taking the CareerStep class for MT (although I tried to talk her out of it).  Anyway she is in the transcription part, and using the disks that were supplied with the course.  How did you listen to and transcribe from this.  She put the disk in the disk drive of her computer, but there is no way to start/stop the dictation, etc. and I believe it would be very frustrating.  Or are we both missing something?  Did you use expresscribe or something and do ...

CareerStep Is A Little Less Costly
Sep 15, 2012

but in my state, am not sure Unemp is going to pay for it because it is not located in my state.  There were colleges offering it where I could have gotten some financial assistance; however, some are not offering it this year.  Odd, because it seems in demand (?) but NYS Unemp is pushing their tech schools, only none offer distance learning. The one college that was offering evening classes, just stopped offering the medical reimbursement course. Just can't get exactly what i ne ...

CareerStep Very Andrews
May 27, 2015

Is there anyone who has any experience with CareerStep and Andrews.  From what I have read there is supposed to be more of an Advantage to CareerStep.  Has anyone else heard this?  Andrews will work with you on a payment plan but if you are missing out on something important what good is it.  Anyone who has actually gone through either program?  If so how long did it take to finish, how long to find a job, and how prepared were you for the job? I am just not sure w ...

Will Companies Hire A New MT From Careerstep
Apr 08, 2010

I am taking the Careerstep course and I am going to finish very soon.  I hear that many companies wave their experience requirement if you take the Careerstep course, because it is so thorough and you transcribe so many reports that you can easily find a job.  Is this true?  Anyone out there graduate from Careerstep and find a job easily as a new MT.  I mean how do you get the jobs if you do not have the experience.  ...

CareerStep MT Training In Progress
Jan 28, 2011

I am in the process of going thru the CareerStep MT training course. I am learning SO much and enjoy every minute of it. I have used this site as a resource at times, so thanks everyone for your posts! I looked at other institutions before deciding on CareerStep, and I am pretty satisfied with the program. Whenever I have a question, I can contact support and get an answer back the same day, sometimes within minutes. It is challenging for sure but I am going to get through it! ...

CareerStep A Valid School Or Is There Another One
Feb 27, 2014

So, I am wanting to go to school for MT, I need some feedback please. Is the online school better than going to an actual college to do the at home work? Is CareerStep a valid school or is there another one I should consider. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. ...

Is CareerStep A Good School???
Feb 27, 2014

Is this school okay or a scame ...

Are Andrews, MTec And CareerStep Still Considered The Top 3?
Dec 28, 2011

Just a general question and it seems that these are the top three as far as offering the best education and preparedness for certification.  Enrolling has me a bit nervous, so I want to make sure I'm getting my money's (and time's) worth. TIA!!! ...

Medical Transcription Schools CareerStep, Andrews & M-Tec
Jan 19, 2010

3 schools were recommended, CareerStep, Andrews & M-Tec, not sure which one to go with.  The tuition goes from $1875-$4975, I am curious why such a huge difference and what is the normal time frame for training.  Some say a 4 month program, a 6 month program & a 9 month program.  Any info is appreciated! Can anyone recommend one of these schools over the other? ...

What Companies Waive Experience If You Attended CareerStep?
Sep 14, 2010

Many posters claim that if you attend Career Step, many MTSOs will waive experience requirements. I would like to know which MTSOs do, and the experiences that new MTs who are CareerStep grads are having/have had, as I am contemplating enrolling. ...

Pls Share Opinions On Schools Andrews, Meditech And CareerStep
May 03, 2012

No msg. ...

AAPC
Apr 10, 2010

How good are their coding classes?  I am looking for a accredited place.   Are there any other good places? ...

AAPC Coding Course... SM
Nov 06, 2010

Has anyone taking the coding course through the AAPC?  I am thinking of taking the outpatient coding course.  It has to be good, right?  I mean they administer the tests for the certification, etc.  My choices right now are Andrews, Career Step, and AAPC and I really am leaning towards AAPC.  Just thought I would check in and see if anyone has any opinions on this course....  Thanks Guys!!! ...

AAPC Coding Course
Nov 12, 2010

I am an MT totally ready to move out of the house, off my 16-hour chair sitting for peanuts and on to the coding field.  I have researched for months, looked here for months, and came upon this website, as well.  Just seeing if anyone out there would recommend the course from AAPC?  Thanks a bunch for your input and advice!!  I don't want to waste my time/money or be scammed.. (: Happy Friday all! ...

Has Anyone Taking The AAPC Course?
Jan 05, 2011

I cannot afford the money to go to a college, so I was wondering how good the AAPC course is.  HAs anyone taken it?  What did you think? ...

AHIMA/AAPC
Feb 25, 2011

Anyone out there a member of AHIMA or AAPC?  Did you join after you became certified, or before?  What are your thoughts about joining?   ...

CPC Course Through AAPC Extension
Jun 12, 2011

I'm taking the CPC coding course through AAPC.  I have four months to complete it, but haven't done so yet.  It says on their website that I can get an extension for $29.95 a month, but I can't find anywhere to send it?  Can somebody please help?  Thank's! ...

Question About AAPC's CPC Course
Jul 07, 2013

So I've been thinking about the big transition from MT to coding myself. Has anyone done the AAPC's CPC course and if so, did you find the instructors helpful and that the course was beneficial? Did you find that employers accepted it as a good training program when you applied for a job? One thing I'm concerned about is that I don't see on their course where they are including anything about ICD-10 training. You would think since it's so close they'd go ahead and o ...

AHIMA (CCS) Versus AAPC (CPC) Which Is Better?
May 09, 2010

There is a lengthy debate as to which of two certifications CCS or CPC are good choices and which will yield better result. The AAPC webiste states that the CPC is a physician/provider-based coding cert. Hospitals are usually looking for facility-based coding certifications, as those credentials apply to their line of business & clinical setting.Hospital certified coders generally code in the hospital (e.g., CPC-H, CCS) and physician certified coders (e.g., CPC, CCS-P) usually code in provid ...

Went To AAPC Chapter Mtg. Question Re CPC-H Vs CCS
May 31, 2010

I had a great time as a guest at a local AAPC chapter meeting last week. The subject was Coding as a Career which was perfect for a first-timer! I noticed that CPC has an "H" credential for hospital. How does that compare to the CCS credential which is for inpatient coding? The main speaker who started out with AHIMA credential and has added AAPC said that CPC is becoming more popular. She is a department head and has hiring responsibility for a large hospital/clinic system. She said they woul ...

When To Joint AHIMA And AAPC?
Jun 28, 2012

I am currently in Andrews and wonder when would be a good time to join these organizations? I checked out AHIMA and their student designation is only for approved schools, and since Andrews is not, I would have to pay the full price of $165 before taking the CCS exam. The exam itself costs 299 for members and 399 for nonmembers. For AAPC, their student membership costs 70 and does not seem to be tied to "approved schools." I'm just a low-paid MT and wondering if I should spring for thes ...

AAPC CPC Prep Course (4 Month)
Jul 30, 2012

Hi - Has anyone here taken the 4-month AAPC CPC Preparation course?  How did you do on the CPC Exam?  ...

How About Training Direct From AAPC
Sep 18, 2012

Ok, how about this program. It is directly from AAPC. Anyone on here received their CPC or CPC-H from this course? http://www.aapc.com/training/cpc-complete-training-package.aspx  So, let me have it... the good the bad and the ugly. ...

AAPC Statement On ICD-10 Delay
Apr 03, 2014

Open Letter from CEO: ICD-10 Delay April 3, 2014 Thank you for your commitment to your profession and all you do to help AAPC advance the business of healthcare. I write to you as a follow up to the email we sent Monday night regarding Senate passage of HR 4302 and the delay in ICD-10. President Obama signed the bill into law Tuesday morning, officially shifting the deadline for ICD-10 compliance from October 1, 2014 to no earlier than October 1, 2015. AAPC remains dedicated to helping the in ...

AAPC Versus Andrews
Jan 29, 2015

I am considering switching my career to coding and am checking into courses - there is a drastic difference in the cost of AAPC versus Andrews. If someone can give an opinion on the difference and if Andrews is much better, please do so. If AAPC is good enough to further my career, I would like to know that also. I have been told that Andrews would give me a CCS and I don't know if that is necessary. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks. ...

Feedback On AAPC CPC Prep Course
Feb 08, 2015

I am asking that anyone who has taken this course to please give me your opinion about it. I am specifically wondering if it does truly prepare you to pass the CPC exam. Thank for your replies. ...

So The Question Still Remains -- AAPC Or AHIMA
May 09, 2010

i understand one is more geared towards outpatient and one more toward inpatient, but the question still remains, one is a 4 month full time course and one is a 1 year or so.  But the question still does remain, WHICH organization has a better well rounded LEARN MEDICAL CODING TO GET AN ENTRY LEVEL JOB in Todays Market?  for the newbie?   anyone?????????  please ...

AAPC Codebooks For The AHIMA CCA Exam?
Feb 16, 2013

I am currently a member of AAPC; however I have also joined AHIMA. I have a 2013 ICD-9 Codebook by AAPC..can I use this book to sit for my certification for the AHIMA CCA exam? I've seen the AHIMA list of approved books and my AAPC book is not listed. Additionally, I understand that I can use a 2012 ICD-9 book. My test is 3/2/2013. My 2012 ICD-9 book is by Carol Buck..can I use this book? This book is not listed in the approved books list on AHIMA. Please help--I need to know. THANKING ...