A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Question about AAPC's CPC course - Jen

Posted: Jul 07, 2013

So I've been thinking about the big transition from MT to coding myself. Has anyone done the AAPC's CPC course and if so, did you find the instructors helpful and that the course was beneficial? Did you find that employers accepted it as a good training program when you applied for a job? One thing I'm concerned about is that I don't see on their course where they are including anything about ICD-10 training. You would think since it's so close they'd go ahead and offer that in the training now. I know Career Step has a little added training program about ICD-10 for their students now. Sure seems like AAPC would. Or maybe they do and i just missed it. Thanks!

Where I am employed . . . . - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Where you go to school does not figure into the equation. You have to either be certified with a CPC or CCS. If you hold either of those certifications it is assumed that you are qualified to be a coder. I wish there was more emphasis put on ICD-10 too, but our coders are training on it on the job.

Okay sooo - Jen

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the response! I just hear people saying this school stinks or that one is great. So just to make sure I understand it correctly, when I finish the course I can take the CPC exam and if I pass then I have CPC-A credentials right? Then I have to work for so long before I'm just a CPC and get the "A" removed? There's so much info out there and it's hard to sort through it all. I've been trying to find one of the coding supervisors at my hospital to ask all these questions but they don't work the same the shifts I do and mostly they work from home so I'm not having any luck there.

E-mail? - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Does the coding supervisor have e-mail? The other thing you could do is leave a voice mail message and have her/him return your call.
Yep - Jen
[ In Reply To ..]
Yeah I am going to try but you know it's just better when you can talk to someone in person so they can see who you are, that you're not some crazy monster person and that you already work here in the hospital.
I find that to be a rather odd statement - former coder auditor
[ In Reply To ..]
to describe yourself. I went through the AAPC classes (on-site locally) and passed the CPC and found employment immediately. My situation was different than yours in that I had a prior history of managing a coding/billing office before the AAPC existed. My suggestion would be not to refer to yourself in derogatory terms. Coding is not for the thin-skinned or faint of heart. Showing confidence in yourself will serve you well in your coding endeavors. Best of luck to you.
Explanation - Jen
[ In Reply To ..]
It was a joke. Geezum pete, where's the sense of humor around here? I was in no way referring to myself in a derogatory way. If you've been in management then you know that people will often just call off the street and ask about jobs and don't have any skills or training and are not someone you'd want to hire. I was just saying that it would make more of a professional impact to be able to speak with someone in person. I don't know how you got that I was downing myself by saying that. Lighten up!
I ask that question often myself. nm - Wondering where the humor went
[ In Reply To ..]
Nm
Jen, humor is few and far between on this board - PJ
[ In Reply To ..]
A while back I asked a question about why a person would be overlooked when applying for a coding job and had a "friendly" and "bubbly" personality and I was jumped on telling me that they want someone who basically is serious and no-nonsense. It seems that coding is too serious of a job to waste time with any type of personality. I'm not being sarcastic, but I am a person who takes their work seriously, but I also don't like to come off as stale and no sense of humor. So, I'm afraid I might be overlooked in an interview. Good luck to you, Jen. :)
Jen - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Call the hospital coding department and leave a message telling them who you are, or send an e-mail to her identifying yourself and telling her that you are considering a coding program and would like her thoughts. The coders and coding managers that I know are usually willing to share; you also might need a mentor later on. My thought is that since you both have different schedules, maybe you can make an appointment to meet so that you can get your questions answered. I am assuming that the coding manager must have an office somewhere at the facility in addition to being home based.
I agree with that - RHIA
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with speaking to her in person. That enables you to establish good rapport in addition to getting your question answered.

There can, in fact, be some reluctance to discuss career information with unknown persons, especially in writing. This is due to the risk of what you wrote being held up later as evidence of discrimination or that you promised them a job if they did a certain thing. Plus, so much is required to produce an adequate answer that most people will blow you off.

Many supervisors do not actually know much about this other than what they, themselves, did. Because of the complexity of the options, you stand a very good chance of getting misinformation. As well, you may do what they tell you only to find that they don't work there when you need a job and their replacement has different views.

It is really better to ask someone in your facility - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Some facilities definitely want you to take a course that is AHIMA-approved. It seems to vary a good bit.

Answers - Experienced CCS, CCS-P. CPC, CPC-H

[ In Reply To ..]
AAPC courses, whether their own or offered elsewhere using their materials, take only a few months. That is because they teach only what you need for outpatient coding, either in a physician's office (CPC) or for ambulatory care in a facility (CPC-H). They do a brief overview of med terms, cover ICD-9 very fast and spend most of their time on CPT procedure coding. They do not cover anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, reimbursement & billing, or inpatient coding, including no ICD-9 procedure coding at all.

I can just about promise you that someone will challenge that, but the course does not contain appreciable amounts of that material. That is why the AAPC is now offering separate courses in A&P, billing and reimbursement, and medical terminology. If you took every course they offer, you would still have less than a college or Andrews.

That is not to say that the course is not useful. If you want to do that kind of coding, it will get you there. It is a very fast way to get started in coding. It can be very good if you are already working in coding-related areas. There is a 25% unemployment rate for newly certified CPC-As, though that is probably not too bad considering the economy. It is better than what is being seen even in nursing right now.

As for employer acceptance, it depends on the employer. In outpatient settings, there is no question about acceptance. That is what the AAPC focuses on and most employers know only about it and may have it themselves. Inpatient (hospital) settings may or may not accept it. They may prefer AHIMA credentials if they can get them or they may not care which you have. My advice would be to avoid limiting yourself to hospitals, since there are far fewer jobs available there, especially if you have no experience.

I do not know if the online version has a high drop rate or low pass rate on the exam.

As for ICD-10, I am wondering why you feel teaching it now would be necessary or even desirable. If you are taking a 3-month course, wouldn't you expect to work in 3 months? Don't you need ICD-9 to do that? ICD-10-CM is all you need for the CPCs, and not even the inpatient rules for that, and getting accustomed to it is a simple matter of about 4 hours. Considering that there is still a year to go and implementation of it is not yet certain, what would be the point in spending time confusing the issue -- and I do mean confusing you -- with something you do not need now, cannot use now, might never need, certainly are not going to remember, and could just about pick up by reading a pamphlet? Really, the only reason is on the part of schools that are using scare tactics to sell their products.

Thanks a bunch! - Jen

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks. I think I'm not the only one who appreciated your post. I'm sure lots of others have wondered some of the same things. As for ICD-10, I'm not necessarily taking a three-month course. Just looking into different ones right now. It's just all I've been hearing about lately and so that's just why I was wondering. I was concerned that if I'm looking for a job, say, six months from now and that puts me around the first of 2014, and they are supposed to switch to "10" in that year, then an employer may not want to hire me with no training on it. But what the heck do I know..that's just why I'm here, trying to get as much knowledge as I can from you guys.

Similar Messages:

AAPC
Apr 10, 2010

How good are their coding classes?  I am looking for a accredited place.   Are there any other good places? ...

AAPC Coding Course... SM
Nov 06, 2010

Has anyone taking the coding course through the AAPC?  I am thinking of taking the outpatient coding course.  It has to be good, right?  I mean they administer the tests for the certification, etc.  My choices right now are Andrews, Career Step, and AAPC and I really am leaning towards AAPC.  Just thought I would check in and see if anyone has any opinions on this course....  Thanks Guys!!! ...

AAPC Coding Course
Nov 12, 2010

I am an MT totally ready to move out of the house, off my 16-hour chair sitting for peanuts and on to the coding field.  I have researched for months, looked here for months, and came upon this website, as well.  Just seeing if anyone out there would recommend the course from AAPC?  Thanks a bunch for your input and advice!!  I don't want to waste my time/money or be scammed.. (: Happy Friday all! ...

Has Anyone Taking The AAPC Course?
Jan 05, 2011

I cannot afford the money to go to a college, so I was wondering how good the AAPC course is.  HAs anyone taken it?  What did you think? ...

AHIMA/AAPC
Feb 25, 2011

Anyone out there a member of AHIMA or AAPC?  Did you join after you became certified, or before?  What are your thoughts about joining?   ...

CPC Course Through AAPC Extension
Jun 12, 2011

I'm taking the CPC coding course through AAPC.  I have four months to complete it, but haven't done so yet.  It says on their website that I can get an extension for $29.95 a month, but I can't find anywhere to send it?  Can somebody please help?  Thank's! ...

CareerStep Or AAPC
Feb 08, 2015

I know this question has been asked in the past, but most replies are 3-4 years old.  Looking at both programs, anybody taken either course?  Which would be the better of the two?  Also has anyone who has graduated from the CareerStep program gained employment with IOD? Thank you for your input! ...

AHIMA (CCS) Versus AAPC (CPC) Which Is Better?
May 09, 2010

There is a lengthy debate as to which of two certifications CCS or CPC are good choices and which will yield better result. The AAPC webiste states that the CPC is a physician/provider-based coding cert. Hospitals are usually looking for facility-based coding certifications, as those credentials apply to their line of business & clinical setting.Hospital certified coders generally code in the hospital (e.g., CPC-H, CCS) and physician certified coders (e.g., CPC, CCS-P) usually code in provid ...

Went To AAPC Chapter Mtg. Question Re CPC-H Vs CCS
May 31, 2010

I had a great time as a guest at a local AAPC chapter meeting last week. The subject was Coding as a Career which was perfect for a first-timer! I noticed that CPC has an "H" credential for hospital. How does that compare to the CCS credential which is for inpatient coding? The main speaker who started out with AHIMA credential and has added AAPC said that CPC is becoming more popular. She is a department head and has hiring responsibility for a large hospital/clinic system. She said they woul ...

When To Joint AHIMA And AAPC?
Jun 28, 2012

I am currently in Andrews and wonder when would be a good time to join these organizations? I checked out AHIMA and their student designation is only for approved schools, and since Andrews is not, I would have to pay the full price of $165 before taking the CCS exam. The exam itself costs 299 for members and 399 for nonmembers. For AAPC, their student membership costs 70 and does not seem to be tied to "approved schools." I'm just a low-paid MT and wondering if I should spring for thes ...

AAPC CPC Prep Course (4 Month)
Jul 30, 2012

Hi - Has anyone here taken the 4-month AAPC CPC Preparation course?  How did you do on the CPC Exam?  ...

How About Training Direct From AAPC
Sep 18, 2012

Ok, how about this program. It is directly from AAPC. Anyone on here received their CPC or CPC-H from this course? http://www.aapc.com/training/cpc-complete-training-package.aspx  So, let me have it... the good the bad and the ugly. ...

AAPC Statement On ICD-10 Delay
Apr 03, 2014

Open Letter from CEO: ICD-10 Delay April 3, 2014 Thank you for your commitment to your profession and all you do to help AAPC advance the business of healthcare. I write to you as a follow up to the email we sent Monday night regarding Senate passage of HR 4302 and the delay in ICD-10. President Obama signed the bill into law Tuesday morning, officially shifting the deadline for ICD-10 compliance from October 1, 2014 to no earlier than October 1, 2015. AAPC remains dedicated to helping the in ...

AAPC Versus Andrews
Jan 29, 2015

I am considering switching my career to coding and am checking into courses - there is a drastic difference in the cost of AAPC versus Andrews. If someone can give an opinion on the difference and if Andrews is much better, please do so. If AAPC is good enough to further my career, I would like to know that also. I have been told that Andrews would give me a CCS and I don't know if that is necessary. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks. ...

Feedback On AAPC CPC Prep Course
Feb 08, 2015

I am asking that anyone who has taken this course to please give me your opinion about it. I am specifically wondering if it does truly prepare you to pass the CPC exam. Thank for your replies. ...

So The Question Still Remains -- AAPC Or AHIMA
May 09, 2010

i understand one is more geared towards outpatient and one more toward inpatient, but the question still remains, one is a 4 month full time course and one is a 1 year or so.  But the question still does remain, WHICH organization has a better well rounded LEARN MEDICAL CODING TO GET AN ENTRY LEVEL JOB in Todays Market?  for the newbie?   anyone?????????  please ...

AAPC Codebooks For The AHIMA CCA Exam?
Feb 16, 2013

I am currently a member of AAPC; however I have also joined AHIMA. I have a 2013 ICD-9 Codebook by AAPC..can I use this book to sit for my certification for the AHIMA CCA exam? I've seen the AHIMA list of approved books and my AAPC book is not listed. Additionally, I understand that I can use a 2012 ICD-9 book. My test is 3/2/2013. My 2012 ICD-9 book is by Carol Buck..can I use this book? This book is not listed in the approved books list on AHIMA. Please help--I need to know. THANKING ...

Is Self-study Through AAPC An Option To Become A Coder?
Sep 03, 2013

I have 15 years experience as a medical transcriptionist, have an AA degree, took anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, etc., and have taken one non-credit ICD-9 class, and one non-credit medical billing class, both at a local community college. My question is, if I purchase AAPC's study guide and do practice tests (yes, I know it will be very hard and take a LOT of studying), would I be allowed to test without having taken a specific medical coding program?  In other words, is ...

AAPC 2012 Salary Survey Results
Nov 05, 2012

I am a member of AAPC and just received and reviewed AAPC's 2012 Salary Survey Results. You must be a member to read the survey. Because of the alarming wage decline as a medical transcriptionist, I decided to become certified as a coder and AAPC certification can be achieved sooner than AHIMA certification. I took AAPC's online course in February, achieved the CPC-H certification in September and have an apprentice designation. I am now searching for employment. According to th ...

AHIMA Basic Coding Or Coderclass.com (AAPC)
Apr 10, 2013

Hi everyone! My place of employment has approached me about the possibility of training as an outpatient coder within the year but wants me to take a CPT and ICD-9 course, no certification needed, just something stating I took these two courses.  Would you who have been through this suggest I take AHIMA's coding basics (she says I only need the 4 total courses - CPT (2), ICD-9 (2) or take something like an online AAPC course i.e. coderclass.com?  Can the AHIMA courses be ...

Training Programs Listed On AAPC Website
Jan 23, 2015

Is it safe to assume that a training program listed on the AAPC web (that is not their own) is a legit program? Thank you for your comments and suggestions. ...

More AAPC Chapter Meeting Stuff - Various Roles Of Coders
May 31, 2010

Here are some things I learned about the various types of coding. They tried to interview coders who do each kind of coding as they went along. (I was taking notes as fast as I could and trying to understand. Anyone who REALLY knows please feel free to correct my understanding! I am including these notes as they were of great interest to me as a potential coding student.) 1. Technical component and Professional component. They illustrated the distinction this way: In interventional radiology t ...

Next Installment Of AAPC Meeting Notes - Finding Work
Jun 01, 2010

First of all, they emphasized becoming certified. Most of the coders there had started out in some kind of billing or accounts receivable and kind of "fell into" coding. Several were interviewed who said that they couldn't believe how much they really didn't know until they studied for and got their certification. The primary speaker (who does hiring) said she would rather have certified coders than just those "with experience." It was recommended that students even try to get jobs in ...

SURVEY: Name Your Coding School, And If You Passed The AAPC Or AHIMA Exams!!
May 09, 2010

this may help so many of us. Name your school that you got your coding education from.   Name which organization you sat for certification exam and if you passed OR how many times it took you to pass!   Thanks ...