A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Has anyone taking the AAPC course? - HM

Posted: Jan 05, 2011

I cannot afford the money to go to a college, so I was wondering how good the AAPC course is.  HAs anyone taken it?  What did you think?

AAPC - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Haven't taken it but I know it's good. It is all on-line and independent study with textbooks.

AAPC - HM

[ In Reply To ..]
How do you know it is good if you have not taken it? I just want to make sure I am not wasting my money. I want to learn what I need to pass exam.

Look at the AAPC forum - AML

[ In Reply To ..]
I just read on the AAPC forum over the weekend about someone asking how many times it took people to pass the exam with a lot of replies and several stating they used the AAPC course to learn it.
AAPC Forum - HM
[ In Reply To ..]
Do you know what it was under? I could not find it there.
AAPC Forum - AML
[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.aapc.com/memberarea/forums/index.php

If you Googled AAPC Forum it would come up too.

To HM - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
AAPC is a well respected program, they sponsor the CPC exam. If you take their course, you should learn what you need to pass the exam. It is one of the top professional organizations for coders, excuse me for offering my opinion.
Thanks - HM
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you Anonymous that is what I wanted to know.

AAPC - Elsa

[ In Reply To ..]
The course is good in that it teaches you what you need to pass the certification. It still leaves a lot you don't know and the certificate won't lead to a job.

Similar Messages:

AAPC
Apr 10, 2010

How good are their coding classes?  I am looking for a accredited place.   Are there any other good places? ...

AAPC Coding Course... SM
Nov 06, 2010

Has anyone taking the coding course through the AAPC?  I am thinking of taking the outpatient coding course.  It has to be good, right?  I mean they administer the tests for the certification, etc.  My choices right now are Andrews, Career Step, and AAPC and I really am leaning towards AAPC.  Just thought I would check in and see if anyone has any opinions on this course....  Thanks Guys!!! ...

AAPC Coding Course
Nov 12, 2010

I am an MT totally ready to move out of the house, off my 16-hour chair sitting for peanuts and on to the coding field.  I have researched for months, looked here for months, and came upon this website, as well.  Just seeing if anyone out there would recommend the course from AAPC?  Thanks a bunch for your input and advice!!  I don't want to waste my time/money or be scammed.. (: Happy Friday all! ...

AHIMA/AAPC
Feb 25, 2011

Anyone out there a member of AHIMA or AAPC?  Did you join after you became certified, or before?  What are your thoughts about joining?   ...

CPC Course Through AAPC Extension
Jun 12, 2011

I'm taking the CPC coding course through AAPC.  I have four months to complete it, but haven't done so yet.  It says on their website that I can get an extension for $29.95 a month, but I can't find anywhere to send it?  Can somebody please help?  Thank's! ...

Question About AAPC's CPC Course
Jul 07, 2013

So I've been thinking about the big transition from MT to coding myself. Has anyone done the AAPC's CPC course and if so, did you find the instructors helpful and that the course was beneficial? Did you find that employers accepted it as a good training program when you applied for a job? One thing I'm concerned about is that I don't see on their course where they are including anything about ICD-10 training. You would think since it's so close they'd go ahead and o ...

CareerStep Or AAPC
Feb 08, 2015

I know this question has been asked in the past, but most replies are 3-4 years old.  Looking at both programs, anybody taken either course?  Which would be the better of the two?  Also has anyone who has graduated from the CareerStep program gained employment with IOD? Thank you for your input! ...

AHIMA (CCS) Versus AAPC (CPC) Which Is Better?
May 09, 2010

There is a lengthy debate as to which of two certifications CCS or CPC are good choices and which will yield better result. The AAPC webiste states that the CPC is a physician/provider-based coding cert. Hospitals are usually looking for facility-based coding certifications, as those credentials apply to their line of business & clinical setting.Hospital certified coders generally code in the hospital (e.g., CPC-H, CCS) and physician certified coders (e.g., CPC, CCS-P) usually code in provid ...

Went To AAPC Chapter Mtg. Question Re CPC-H Vs CCS
May 31, 2010

I had a great time as a guest at a local AAPC chapter meeting last week. The subject was Coding as a Career which was perfect for a first-timer! I noticed that CPC has an "H" credential for hospital. How does that compare to the CCS credential which is for inpatient coding? The main speaker who started out with AHIMA credential and has added AAPC said that CPC is becoming more popular. She is a department head and has hiring responsibility for a large hospital/clinic system. She said they woul ...

When To Joint AHIMA And AAPC?
Jun 28, 2012

I am currently in Andrews and wonder when would be a good time to join these organizations? I checked out AHIMA and their student designation is only for approved schools, and since Andrews is not, I would have to pay the full price of $165 before taking the CCS exam. The exam itself costs 299 for members and 399 for nonmembers. For AAPC, their student membership costs 70 and does not seem to be tied to "approved schools." I'm just a low-paid MT and wondering if I should spring for thes ...

AAPC CPC Prep Course (4 Month)
Jul 30, 2012

Hi - Has anyone here taken the 4-month AAPC CPC Preparation course?  How did you do on the CPC Exam?  ...

How About Training Direct From AAPC
Sep 18, 2012

Ok, how about this program. It is directly from AAPC. Anyone on here received their CPC or CPC-H from this course? http://www.aapc.com/training/cpc-complete-training-package.aspx  So, let me have it... the good the bad and the ugly. ...

AAPC Statement On ICD-10 Delay
Apr 03, 2014

Open Letter from CEO: ICD-10 Delay April 3, 2014 Thank you for your commitment to your profession and all you do to help AAPC advance the business of healthcare. I write to you as a follow up to the email we sent Monday night regarding Senate passage of HR 4302 and the delay in ICD-10. President Obama signed the bill into law Tuesday morning, officially shifting the deadline for ICD-10 compliance from October 1, 2014 to no earlier than October 1, 2015. AAPC remains dedicated to helping the in ...

AAPC Versus Andrews
Jan 29, 2015

I am considering switching my career to coding and am checking into courses - there is a drastic difference in the cost of AAPC versus Andrews. If someone can give an opinion on the difference and if Andrews is much better, please do so. If AAPC is good enough to further my career, I would like to know that also. I have been told that Andrews would give me a CCS and I don't know if that is necessary. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks. ...

Feedback On AAPC CPC Prep Course
Feb 08, 2015

I am asking that anyone who has taken this course to please give me your opinion about it. I am specifically wondering if it does truly prepare you to pass the CPC exam. Thank for your replies. ...

So The Question Still Remains -- AAPC Or AHIMA
May 09, 2010

i understand one is more geared towards outpatient and one more toward inpatient, but the question still remains, one is a 4 month full time course and one is a 1 year or so.  But the question still does remain, WHICH organization has a better well rounded LEARN MEDICAL CODING TO GET AN ENTRY LEVEL JOB in Todays Market?  for the newbie?   anyone?????????  please ...

AAPC Codebooks For The AHIMA CCA Exam?
Feb 16, 2013

I am currently a member of AAPC; however I have also joined AHIMA. I have a 2013 ICD-9 Codebook by AAPC..can I use this book to sit for my certification for the AHIMA CCA exam? I've seen the AHIMA list of approved books and my AAPC book is not listed. Additionally, I understand that I can use a 2012 ICD-9 book. My test is 3/2/2013. My 2012 ICD-9 book is by Carol Buck..can I use this book? This book is not listed in the approved books list on AHIMA. Please help--I need to know. THANKING ...

Is Self-study Through AAPC An Option To Become A Coder?
Sep 03, 2013

I have 15 years experience as a medical transcriptionist, have an AA degree, took anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, etc., and have taken one non-credit ICD-9 class, and one non-credit medical billing class, both at a local community college. My question is, if I purchase AAPC's study guide and do practice tests (yes, I know it will be very hard and take a LOT of studying), would I be allowed to test without having taken a specific medical coding program?  In other words, is ...

AAPC 2012 Salary Survey Results
Nov 05, 2012

I am a member of AAPC and just received and reviewed AAPC's 2012 Salary Survey Results. You must be a member to read the survey. Because of the alarming wage decline as a medical transcriptionist, I decided to become certified as a coder and AAPC certification can be achieved sooner than AHIMA certification. I took AAPC's online course in February, achieved the CPC-H certification in September and have an apprentice designation. I am now searching for employment. According to th ...

AHIMA Basic Coding Or Coderclass.com (AAPC)
Apr 10, 2013

Hi everyone! My place of employment has approached me about the possibility of training as an outpatient coder within the year but wants me to take a CPT and ICD-9 course, no certification needed, just something stating I took these two courses.  Would you who have been through this suggest I take AHIMA's coding basics (she says I only need the 4 total courses - CPT (2), ICD-9 (2) or take something like an online AAPC course i.e. coderclass.com?  Can the AHIMA courses be ...

Training Programs Listed On AAPC Website
Jan 23, 2015

Is it safe to assume that a training program listed on the AAPC web (that is not their own) is a legit program? Thank you for your comments and suggestions. ...

More AAPC Chapter Meeting Stuff - Various Roles Of Coders
May 31, 2010

Here are some things I learned about the various types of coding. They tried to interview coders who do each kind of coding as they went along. (I was taking notes as fast as I could and trying to understand. Anyone who REALLY knows please feel free to correct my understanding! I am including these notes as they were of great interest to me as a potential coding student.) 1. Technical component and Professional component. They illustrated the distinction this way: In interventional radiology t ...

Next Installment Of AAPC Meeting Notes - Finding Work
Jun 01, 2010

First of all, they emphasized becoming certified. Most of the coders there had started out in some kind of billing or accounts receivable and kind of "fell into" coding. Several were interviewed who said that they couldn't believe how much they really didn't know until they studied for and got their certification. The primary speaker (who does hiring) said she would rather have certified coders than just those "with experience." It was recommended that students even try to get jobs in ...

SURVEY: Name Your Coding School, And If You Passed The AAPC Or AHIMA Exams!!
May 09, 2010

this may help so many of us. Name your school that you got your coding education from.   Name which organization you sat for certification exam and if you passed OR how many times it took you to pass!   Thanks ...

Why Are We Taking This?
Jun 18, 2012

What the heck is going on here? We're being bought out and paid less than the people cleaning the toilets at the "corportate" offices of the big-three companies. We're scraping by to make one-third of what we used to make. Why? Do you actually believe these companies are charging the hospitals less? We're the only ones getting paid less, and less, and less. The hospitals are getting crappy reports, something they're told can't be helped; there's no other alternat ...

Could They Be Taking Even More Pay
Mar 07, 2014

I checked my pay stubs and, granted, I still was getting production bonus 5-6 months ago, but my pay has decreased so much, like $400-500. Sometimes I wonder what all those "delays" with "uploading the lines" are. Honestly, this company has made me literally into a minimum wage worker. Thanks a lot, Nuance, you will soon get your wish and I will have to subsidize my income with food stamps at this rate. I guess that is your objective, more profits for you, spread the poverty so our taxes are ma ...

Wow. I Was Taking A Peek Over Here
Mar 10, 2010

to see what Medquist was looking like.  Looks just about like Spheris to me, possibly a little worse.  Can anyone say what they are paying per line ASR and regular transcription for a mid-level account?  Clinic account?  Not sure it is worth the bother to stick around for this change. ...

Taking More Than 1 Offer
Mar 15, 2010

I have 2 job offers from 2 different companies, but both of these companies are fairly large and have multiple posts with complaints that there is just not enough work for everyone. Would it be possible to take both offers, on the chance that if one doesn't have work the other will? I might be kinda screwed if they both have a lot of work, but it might be worth it to see how both will work out without closing any doors. Has anyone done this before? Is it possible to run 2 companies differen ...

Taking A Poll
Sep 01, 2010

If you get NJA on a very regular basis, reply with what state you are in.  Apparently, some states require pay for downtime, CA I believe being one of them.  I'm not sure of the other states.  Obviously, work can be routed to or away from us at will, and I have a feeling they are choosing MTs from the states that mandate downtime pay over states that don't. ...

Taking The Plunge
Feb 20, 2011

After having been an MT for over half of my life and constantly reading these forums and realizing the shortcomings we are all facing in this industry, I'm taking the plunge. Yesterday my husband and I bought 2 domain names, ordered 500 business cards, my husband is researching MT salaries nationwide, and we're going to start our own MTSO.  An MTSO run by HUMAN BEINGS for HUMAN BEINGS.  A small one, we're looking at probably 20 or less ICs to ensure ample work for every ...