A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Pls share opinions on schools Andrews, Meditech and CareerStep - for an MT turning to med billing/coding. Thanks! n

Posted: May 03, 2012

No msg.

There are so many opinions of these.... - noname

[ In Reply To ..]
schools on this site. If you click on search and then just enter the names of the schools so many posts will pop up. This is a constant recurring question. Maybe you'll luck out with someone new on here that has recent experience with any of the schools but if not just do the search and you will see MANY MANY opinions.

This same question has been asked every few months - Hmmm

[ In Reply To ..]
Someone asks this same question every other month, with the same three schools listed in the same order and with the same misspelling.

If you really are an inquiring student, can you share how you figure Meditech is in the same ballpark as Andrews? I would love to know what is so attractive about thet place.

If you read below, you will see that it can be very difficult to get a job in coding unless you have a CPC and a CCS. In light of that, what would be the attraction of any program that told you right up front that it does NOT prepare you for those exams?

This baffles me. When you see a statement that a program prepares you for the CCA exam, it is telling you that you will NOT be prepared to work when you graduate. Employers are not hiring people who have only shown that they are motivated to start learning how to code. Why should they when they can hire someone who just went ahead and learned how in school? And passed the exams?

Further, you need to read that website closely because it says it is preparing you for the IMITATION CCA. It isn't even the real one! Even the cost is different. The length is different.

Last time this quesion came up, it was a play on the CPC name, as I recall. This time it isn't even a play on the name! It is the same name!

I would not be surprised to hear the school and the test place are owned by the same people. They do seem to have been designed by the same person.

Similar Messages:

Medical Transcription Schools CareerStep, Andrews & M-Tec
Jan 19, 2010

3 schools were recommended, CareerStep, Andrews & M-Tec, not sure which one to go with.  The tuition goes from $1875-$4975, I am curious why such a huge difference and what is the normal time frame for training.  Some say a 4 month program, a 6 month program & a 9 month program.  Any info is appreciated! Can anyone recommend one of these schools over the other? ...

CareerStep Very Andrews
May 27, 2015

Is there anyone who has any experience with CareerStep and Andrews.  From what I have read there is supposed to be more of an Advantage to CareerStep.  Has anyone else heard this?  Andrews will work with you on a payment plan but if you are missing out on something important what good is it.  Anyone who has actually gone through either program?  If so how long did it take to finish, how long to find a job, and how prepared were you for the job? I am just not sure w ...

Are Andrews, MTec And CareerStep Still Considered The Top 3?
Dec 28, 2011

Just a general question and it seems that these are the top three as far as offering the best education and preparedness for certification.  Enrolling has me a bit nervous, so I want to make sure I'm getting my money's (and time's) worth. TIA!!! ...

Coding Schools - Andrews
Jul 14, 2011

In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with Andrews. I went through their medical transcription training course and did very well with my job search. Based on my training at Andrews, I have not had a problem with employment tests, passing the RMT and CMT, etc., and with the coding program, as long as I study hard  and do the assignments, I believe that I will have the same experience. Based on the excellent training I received at Andrews, I am beginning to go through the coding course. The ...

AHIMA Or Andrews? Arent These Two Schools Both EQUAL?
May 16, 2010

I would think the AHIMA would be a great place to take the medical coding classes.  They are the ones giving the certification examination and certification. I dont hear many people enrolled in AHIMA Cluster Program for Medical Coding. I wonder why? seems so many people go off this board and then follow along. ...

Coding Schools - Do Hospitals Respect Andrews?
Nov 17, 2011

I know Andrews is the school recommended for MT training, but is it equally recommended for coding school?  I'm looking into community colleges, etc., but wanted to check into online schools as well.  Do hospitals respect Andrews as much as they would a community college degree for coding? ...

Coding Schools--online Or Local Community College? Andrews Or M-TEC?
Mar 24, 2013

Hi - I am struggling with what to do, somebody please help! I have read that Andrews and M-TEC are the best schools online.  I am just concerned that I won't do well without hands on learning in a classroom?  I could really use some advice from some people who have done the coding courses through these places? Which is the best, and how does it work exactly?  Thanks ...

CareerStep
Aug 26, 2010

I just graduated from a school last month for medical transcription but feel like I'm not fully prepared and I'm not having any luck with employment or testing. I was thinking about enrolling in careerstep because I heard good things about them. Does anybody have any experience with them? Did you find employment afterwards and were you prepared well? Thank you. ...

Are Any Of U Careerstep.com Graduates?
Nov 01, 2009

I am about 2 weeks away from the final and would take any advise on the final, the job search and any other great advise you can give me. I am hoping to work from home to take care of my son. Good companies, bad companies? how is the pay for new graduates? ...

Anyone Who Took CareerStep Class
Nov 09, 2009

A friend of mine is taking the CareerStep class for MT (although I tried to talk her out of it).  Anyway she is in the transcription part, and using the disks that were supplied with the course.  How did you listen to and transcribe from this.  She put the disk in the disk drive of her computer, but there is no way to start/stop the dictation, etc. and I believe it would be very frustrating.  Or are we both missing something?  Did you use expresscribe or something and do ...

CareerStep Is A Little Less Costly
Sep 15, 2012

but in my state, am not sure Unemp is going to pay for it because it is not located in my state.  There were colleges offering it where I could have gotten some financial assistance; however, some are not offering it this year.  Odd, because it seems in demand (?) but NYS Unemp is pushing their tech schools, only none offer distance learning. The one college that was offering evening classes, just stopped offering the medical reimbursement course. Just can't get exactly what i ne ...

CareerStep Or AAPC
Feb 08, 2015

I know this question has been asked in the past, but most replies are 3-4 years old.  Looking at both programs, anybody taken either course?  Which would be the better of the two?  Also has anyone who has graduated from the CareerStep program gained employment with IOD? Thank you for your input! ...

Will Companies Hire A New MT From Careerstep
Apr 08, 2010

I am taking the Careerstep course and I am going to finish very soon.  I hear that many companies wave their experience requirement if you take the Careerstep course, because it is so thorough and you transcribe so many reports that you can easily find a job.  Is this true?  Anyone out there graduate from Careerstep and find a job easily as a new MT.  I mean how do you get the jobs if you do not have the experience.  ...

CareerStep MT Training In Progress
Jan 28, 2011

I am in the process of going thru the CareerStep MT training course. I am learning SO much and enjoy every minute of it. I have used this site as a resource at times, so thanks everyone for your posts! I looked at other institutions before deciding on CareerStep, and I am pretty satisfied with the program. Whenever I have a question, I can contact support and get an answer back the same day, sometimes within minutes. It is challenging for sure but I am going to get through it! ...

CareerStep A Valid School Or Is There Another One
Feb 27, 2014

So, I am wanting to go to school for MT, I need some feedback please. Is the online school better than going to an actual college to do the at home work? Is CareerStep a valid school or is there another one I should consider. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. ...

Is CareerStep A Good School???
Feb 27, 2014

Is this school okay or a scame ...

What Companies Waive Experience If You Attended CareerStep?
Sep 14, 2010

Many posters claim that if you attend Career Step, many MTSOs will waive experience requirements. I would like to know which MTSOs do, and the experiences that new MTs who are CareerStep grads are having/have had, as I am contemplating enrolling. ...

Meditech/EMR
May 23, 2011

I work for a small hospital and we have just recently started typing our H&P's into EMR. The problem with EMR is that it uses Word (not Microsoft Word) and we have no auto correct and no medical spell checker. We were told that we could not get either installed in the EMR. Does anyone know if this is true or not? Also, we were told that we could not cut and paste into the EMR, which is what we had been doing due to no auto correct or spell checker, because it is noncompliance with the H ...

Meditech Question
Nov 06, 2009

I accidentally added the wrong spelling of a word in the dictionary in Meditech.  Anyone know how to delete this from the dictionary?  Thanks a ton! ...

Meditech Lines
Feb 26, 2010

I am wonderinig about how Meditech counts lines; if they pay on 65 character line and say meditech does not have that many characters on a line, but around 49-50, do you come out less or does it equal out in the end ?  Thanks everyone.  Just love the program ...

MEDITECH MAGIC HELP
Jun 30, 2010

Is anyone currently working on Meditech Magic platform and using Autocorrects?  I cannot find where or how to add these on the Magic platform.  Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!! ...

Question About Meditech
Sep 08, 2010

I have an opportunity to cover weekends on an account that uses the Meditech platform. I have not used this before. Is it difficult to learn? Are there many steps or can you fly through it?  ...

Meditech F9 Issue
Dec 16, 2010

My fiance is learning meditech and is very frustrated.  When she enters the patient id and hits f9 the program freezes up and she can't do anything.   She is using a dell laptop.   How can we fix this problem?   thanks ...

Anybody Ever Work With Meditech? 
Mar 07, 2012

Anybody ever work with Meditech?  ...

Anyone Hate Meditech As Much As I Do?
Jun 29, 2012

Anyone hate meditech as much as I do?  It is impossible to type more than 50 reports unless you work more than 8 hours a day.  They dont care if you work more than 8 hours a day, (cause there is tons of work) but don't put that on your time card.  You have to work on your days off cause you don't make enough money unless you do.  If you only get paid 1 dollar per report you can go on disability for the rest of your life and pretty much live on 900 a month anyway.  meditech has so ...

Applied At KS. Ad Says They Use Meditech. S/M
Jul 03, 2012

I just searched the archives for Meditech 2012 and this platform sounds like it sucks.  I have just learned the Escription platform but I need a day job and hate this VR crap.  My question is you who are working on Meditech, is it still time consuming and cutting into your pay?   ...

Meditech - Bold
Jun 17, 2015

Need some assistance with Bolding in Meditech. Say for example I need to bold a heading and I've already typed the heading without the bold. Are there certain function keys where I can bold the heading? Thanks for any help ...

Meditech Copy And Paste
Nov 11, 2009

I'm just training on an old version of Meditech, I think it's V 4.5.  I don't see any way to block text or copy and paste.  My trainer isn't familiar with this version, either.   Does anyone know how to do it?  Thanks! ...

Anyone Have Any Knowledge Of The Meditech Platform
Nov 21, 2009

Does anyone have any knowledge of the Meditech platform. I start with a new company soon and have no idea how it works. Would like to go into training with the learning curve in my favor... ...

Meditech Magic Platform
Jun 30, 2010

Hi, I was wondering if anyone is famiiliar with the Meditech Magic platform and how to use Autocorrects?  I recently started a new job with this platform and cannot find where or how to add Autocorrects.  Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!  Thank you. ...