A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Providers editing their own reports - rock bottom

Posted: Jan 03, 2015

Providers editing their own reports, yea. Go back through and look at your old reports and see if the blanks are filled in. About 85% are not filled in.

Many providers are salaried employees of the institution.

When they stop seeing 1-2 patients per day to edit and/or type their reports, it will take awhile 2-3 years I suspect at the least, for the bean counters to figure out why their salaried employees are seeing fewer patients, generating less income.

Then somebody will come up with the novel idea that it is a really bad idea to pay someone $150 to $200 per hour to edit/type their reports.

Finally, when they get their butts sued bigtime for reports that were signed, went to another facility, had a major error (that they typed in), and the whole bunch of the faciilities that made a mistake based on that incorrect information gets sued, they will be figuring out that medical transcriptionist didn't just type what they mumbled.

The field will turn around. I expect a total of 4-8 years. I'll be retired.

Word of caution: Keep your own medical documents, your own list of meds, and your own medical history. Hand-correct the mistakes in the reports. Use those when you see your provider. I personally have been the victim of incorrect reports (fortunately nothing serious), but had to tell the current provider that I am an intelligent medical transcriptionist and I know my own history and what meds I take regardless of what that piece of paper or computer screen says.

I agree. I've always said the hospitals think - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
they are saving so much money by getting rid of the MTs, but all it will take is one lawsuit from a major mistake made by voice recognition technology or something else a skilled MT would've recognized and corrected, and they've spent way more money than having a department of MTs.

But, imho, I think you both are really missing something, in fact, there was a great - post on October 24, 2014...

[ In Reply To ..]
...entitled, You missed something-sm

For those not familiar with the archives, this board goes back for years and years. Scroll down to the very bottom of the posts, and you will come across three of the most recent months. To read the post referenced here, choose October and scroll around until you come to it.

The other way to find it is to choose the blue Search function appearing directly beneath the Post a New Message above. I have found that this search option works best if you type in the date the way they appear on these posts, for instance, 2014-10-24 and a few of the words, if possible. Doing either of these will bring you to a really thorough discussion of what really is going on in this industry. That person describes the REAL process of MD input and approval being put into practice as I type, and I think perhaps alot of MTs are still seeing things through old lenses. I fear for anyone still clinging to a hope of indespensability, 'cuz your very own employer is systemmatically changing the very way doctors interact with technology.

It is the reason I continue to repeat... when you come on board with Nuance you are assisting them in helping hospitals make the transition that is causing your own demise. Some hospitals might be 2 or 3 years away from these technology changes, but why work for Nuance and expedite the inevitable?

Please go to that October post and read it. It could save you alot time in anguish about whether or not to leave MT or try to stick it out, all the while going farther and farther in the hole hoping things would change.

I'm confident this will clear up some things...

...And FIESA is their favorite tool for expediting the departure of everyone - with an expectation about earning a living.

[ In Reply To ..]
Any MTs utilized to continue assisting Nuance make these changes must have only the expectation of hobby money, working to fill a few hours of a very long lonely day, or just movie money for date night with the hubby, because as it stands, at Nuance the ability to support yourself or even meaningfully contribute to your family's budget is ALREADY gone.
I agree. I am one of those sticking around ONLY - because I want a little extra money
[ In Reply To ..]
and I don't want to leave the house to do it. I am being honest here. I expect a slew of dislikes, LOL. I worked as a FT MT for 15 years, watched my pay for my SKILLS tank, and now I'm too old (early 50s) and unmotivated (I do have to care for my mom with health problems too) to want to get a job outside the house, AND since I have other income I don't need to. I work PT and make only 700 or so per month. I still think it stinks that I make 2-3 cents per line LESS than I did as a newbie, but it is what it is. I cannot fight it--can either accept it or move on. And I tell you what, if it is their plan to force us out eventually after we have helped train their VR -- fine -- but I won't quit-- they will be surprised to find out they can do what they want to try to get me to leave --but I WILL spitefully force them to pay me unemployment first. I am just in the position to be able to do that.
LOL!!!! LMBO!! AT the post stating FIESA being the tool - to expedite departure!!
[ In Reply To ..]
That is THE FUNNIEST post I have read in a VERY long time!! Oh my goodness, LOL! And you are definitely telling the truth.
Your post needs to be marked with a *star* and kept as a "sticky note" - at the very top of the Nuance board..sm
[ In Reply To ..]
like how they marked the standing job ads for Nuance and InScribe on the job seekers board; your post should be made a standing one. Not only is it funny, but its a *must read* for anyone thinking of applying to this company or as you say, "anyone still working here with the expectation to earn a living." LOL!
Food stamps for the first time in my life - CINDY
[ In Reply To ..]
While having a supposedly full-time job I had to apply for food stamps because this job pays nothing. I am just waiting for the axe so I can collect my unemployment while trying to find a new job.

I know MT is dead - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I left MT two years ago, too. I know it's a dead profession and have no hopes of going back. I still firmly believe that there will be some huge lawsuit due to VR, and only then will hospitals regret getting rid of MTs. I realize nothing will be done about it in regard to the MT profression, however. I will look for that October post, though. Thanks!

What is wrong with that picture. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You are missing something.

The doctor sees the words being transcribed *as he says them.*

He doesn't dictate into a phone anymore. He does not dictate, then two days later gets the report to edit it.

He dictates directly to his computer, which is trained to him personally. The words appear on the screen right then. If they are wrong, he changes them right then. HE ASSURES THE ACCURACY.

How, exactly, do you see lawsuits that some MT could have prevented?

Re: "What is wrong with that picture" - to keep coming back here..

[ In Reply To ..]
How many times are you going to keep coming back here repeating yourself? WE KNOW THE WHAT'S HAPPENING. You are not talking to idiots. People still work in this field for a variety of reasons be it dying or whatever front end speech recognition is not a news flash.

Can you read? Look around the boards. Some are in school and on their way out, some are hanging in there till retirement, some just need extra money.

I get that there is a handful of MTs out there who probably don't understand, but my goodness you act like the world is coming to an end and its your job to spread the news. WE KNOW!!!! My goodness you sound like a broken record. Why not just go to the main board and start a thread and post a new thread everyday till your heart is content. You sound like a broken record.
Does not look like everyone - gets it.
[ In Reply To ..]
It does not look like everyone gets it. When they keep showing up describing a process that does not exist and insisting that hospital administrators will wise up in just a few years, it encourages MTs to hang in there.

If all of you saw what I see, none of you would still be in MT. Not one.

I think that worries Nuance, because they need you a little longer. I think some of these "never gonna happen" posts are planted here to keep you on board.

You think everyone gets it. Clearly, some don't. If they did, they wouldn't be using the phrase "editing their own reports."

Well if it makes you feel better - why not - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Post a new msg at the top of the Nuance board informing them so that everyone is sure to see it. I don't work for Nuance, I'm a part-time independent contractor for a smaller company and have another job totally outside of MT. And I like my part-time job and I plan on keeping it until it they no longer need me. So that's why I'm still here, not that I need to explain myself to anyone since I'm a grown woman.

But aside from that, maybe you should start a new thread where people will be sure to see your message since you feel like there are so many out there who don't seem to get it. I'm still fairly young and I have over 20 years left before I can retire, so trust me this is not my sole bread and butter. But you don't need to school me because I already know the business.

I'm not a sheltered MT who has worked for the MTSOs all my life. I know how to do more than just log on to a computer and type or check emails, which is something else that was insinuated in another thread about MTs.

You remind me of a poster from that thread on the main board who posted belittling remarks about MTs. I just think its cruel to judge people when you don't have all the facts. You said no one should still be here, really?? I feel like I can work where ever I wanna work till they tell me there is no more work to be done. This is not my only source of income.

I guess it just bugs me when people totally get out of MT and then come back to these boards with posts like yours wondering why people are still here. I have another job too and I still do transcription on the side BECAUSE I LIKE IT AND I WANT TO, but you don't see me coming here preaching to everyone about how the sky is falling and what are they still doing here.
If you do not work for Nuance, why are you upset - about it?
[ In Reply To ..]
You probably have it better where you work without FIESA, nagging, and the rest of it, and you aren't training your replacement, either.
I only posted because I see those kind of posts - all over the board..sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Not just here on the Nuance board. The person I replied to doesn't sound like they work for Nuance either. As I mentioned, there was a thread on the main board not long ago and she put me in the mind of some of those posters who were discussing this very topic, but also posting belittling things about MTs. It just brought all that back to mind and I felt like responding. Besides, this is not just exclusive to the Nuance MTs this is an industry wide thing.
Wrong-o - I would still be an MT
[ In Reply To ..]
because I am 17 months til retirement. And I'm sure I'm not alone. So your phrase "none of you would still be in MT. Not one" is not true. You might want to rephrase that.
I've known about this since sm - Been there
[ In Reply To ..]
I started being an MT 25 years ago. Only difference is the change is getting closer. It's almost time for me to retire, so what are my chances of landing a better job or any other job at all? I'll just stay until it's all over, then deal with the rest after that. Quit trying to rile everybody up. So some doctors are editing their own reports. There are enough older docs still in business who don't want to mess with the new technology so we still have a few years. So big deal. There's enough anxiety floating all over this board, why add more to it? Happy New Year.

Can you describe how this works when doctors - edit their own reports?

[ In Reply To ..]
I am wondering how you think this works.

Are you under the impression that the doctor dictates into a phone (as he does now) and it goes to Nuance for SR to type, and then the report goes back to him later -- just without MT editing -- and then the doctor edits it like you do now, by comparing the voice recording?

Read just above your post in this same thread, it starts But, imho - Radically different process is already here.

[ In Reply To ..]
Nuance has helped to bring about the very changes that facilitate the end of MT in the US. What precious little work remains goes to India as soon as possible for, like, $4 a day!

I am aware of that, thanks. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I knowe exactly how front-end works ... we use it. I am asking the OP to explain so I can figure out what the misconception about it is.

I don't understand why, after it has been explained over and over, people still keep talking about doctors editing their own reports, blanks, and lawsuits due to some kind of calamitous errors.

What is it that they don't understand? Sounds to me like they think it is exactly like what happens now, only they think the doctors are going to go to medical records and plop down with a footpedal and a headset to listen to the recording and edit their reports.

Why is this so difficult for them to grasp?

Do you have access to reports on patient records??? - If so, why are you snooping??

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you work for Nuance? If you have the ability to access the reports on patient records, and you are snooping in those records to find reports you transcribed, you are accessing those records inappropriately because you do not need to be doing that.

The facility needs to fire Nuance for allowing it.

Bull$$$ - we used to have access

[ In Reply To ..]
to records by patient, by provider, by MT... so you could look back and confirm what you thought you heard, make sure of diagnoses, etc. Very, very helpful and definitely not snooping. Just because they've taken away that useful tool doesn't mean it was inappropriate in any way, it's just another way to make you less efficient and less accurate. Catch a clue, will you?

Similar Messages:

Editing Reports (sm)
Sep 14, 2012

It seems to me since the red box has been taken away that the speech recognition engine has gotten worse...meaning that while I am editing, some words are just totally left blank on the screen.  Then there are some words and phrases that are not even close to what the speaker is saying.  I know speech rec was not that good anyway but it just seems to me that it has gotten worse in the past several weeks.   Anyone else notice this? ...

Do You Re-read Reports After Editing?
Dec 15, 2010

I edit the report and then re-read to proof it.  I don't find it redundant because I do find errors that I've missed.  I just wonder if I'm an exceptionally slow editor.  I was a fast transcriptionist, but this is a completely different job.  I use Shorthand as an expander, but my speed just doesn't increase much. I find I spend a tremendous amount of time on the demographics more than else (searching for the correct patient, etc.).  If the patient i ...

Rates For Editing Reports
Apr 26, 2011

Can anyone help me out with editing costs.  I want to know if anyone knows a rate to charge by the minute for voice dictation.  I am advertising for editing services and I want the voice dictations to come along with the reports.  But if you get a rotten dictation that takes up a lot of your time to listen to it, I don't want the cost per line charge.  What would be a competitive rate to charge per minute?  ...

Using Shorthand With Editing Reports
Nov 06, 2013

Does anyone know where to get a list of Shorthand macros that work with editing SR?  I used to have some, would really appreciate any help getting some together again.  TIA! ...

I Am Typing/editing Reports
Mar 17, 2015

We need mandatory overtime for this? ...

Editing Of Dragon Speak Reports
Apr 12, 2010

Can anyone tell me if there is some sort of formula for pricing out the finall editing of a DragonSpeak report?  I am assuming that it would be much less than if it were priced for typing the entire file. thanks, bill ...

Do You Think The Providers/clients Know?
May 17, 2011

I mean, I'm an IC, or whatever I'm called now since I'm doing VR.....there has been talk around the company that perhaps the providers don't even know their documents have been moved to VR.  In reality, I think that this might ring true!  Some of us have quit for ethical reasons, and I can say for certain my VR isn't getting any better with the ahhs and ands and everything else that seems to be in the dication that shouldn't be.  After all, the VR doe ...

Who Are The Insurance Providers?
Mar 14, 2012

I am particularly interested in the dental and vision providers, as this may impact whether I utilize my current coverage this spring or wait until the other comes into play.  No answers forthcoming regarding merger yet.  Thanks. ...

Satellite Providers
Nov 06, 2014

I posted this on the main board and no one replied, so I figured maybe it should have been posted here on the Tech Help. I currently use Starband, an older satellite provider. Where I live no DSL, cable or cell phone signal. Starband just raised my monthly rate, so I am looking into switching. I have Dish TV and see that they have internet satellite, but I don't know anyone who has this. I have been doing transcription from home for 18 years and have used Starband since then. I was wonderi ...

Webmedx Presents Award To Providers For Front-end Speech Implementation
Sep 17, 2010

This article was from July, I just found it. It may have been addressed back then, and if so I missed it. Here is one part of the article: "Currently in use at several Webmedx customer sites, the ability for physicians to capture documentation using front-end voice recognition and then self-edit their work reduces costs by 60% for every transcribed report." This is the link to the article: http://www.healthcareitnews.com/press-release/webmedx-presents-award-providers-front-end-speech-implem ...

Prefer Short Reports Or Long Reports? Sm
Jun 13, 2012

Hi all. I was just wondering what other MTs prefer...little short reports or very long reports? Do too many of either affect your line count (and therefore your pay)?   I definitely prefer very long reports!  ...

Long Reports Or Short Reports?
Jul 15, 2013

Am i the only one that just hates the long ones? And by long I mean anything over like 4 minutes.  I love progress and ER notes!  ...

Anyone Editing VR At 800 Lph?
Feb 18, 2010

If you get 800 lph on VR, what platform to you use, what types of reports do you type?  ...

Can Anyone Tell Me About VR Editing
Feb 26, 2010

Can anyone tell me about VR editing, the pay seems quite low about 3 cpl.  How many lines can you do in an hour? I am a very fast typist, but unsure about VR and have a job interview for this.  Thanks for your help ...

Editing Pay
Jun 05, 2010

I understand that everything is going to the way of the editor and not typing, but when the editor keeps missing whole sentences or makes up words that sound nothing like the doctor is saying, how is one supposed to make any money?  I only get paid .04 per line to edit and I am spening more time trying to fix editing mistakes than I would if I just erase the text and type it out.  Very frustrating.  Thank God my husband has a good paying job, otherwise I would have to find another ...

Is All Editing With VR Really This Bad?
Oct 28, 2010

I work for a company that uses M*Modal for VR and all the reports have SO much editing.  There are complete words missing, words added that clearly aren't being dictated, at least 2 words on each line that have to be edited.  I'm doing so much more work for less pay than I was straight typing everything.  This is the only editing I've done so I don't know if this is normal for editing or if M*Modal just sucks!  My line counts suck, my pay sucks.  Any ...

RE TTS: I Have Seen Where They Pay 3 Cpl For Editing .... SM
Nov 08, 2010

and I know that they use Escription.  Does anybody know if they EVER will start someone out higher than 3 cpl?  I have 32 years of MT experience and about 3 years of editing experience.  Thanks for any comments. ...

Job Sent Without Editing
Feb 14, 2011

So, last week the system went down right as I was finishing up an extremely long job.  When it finally came back up, there was another glitch and before I could hit "recover", the job sent to the hospital as I originally got it with no editing whatsoever!  The hospital got in touch with Medquist EXTREMELY upset and in turn I got an e-mail wondering why that happened.  I feel like contacting this hospital myself and letting them know this THIS is what Medquist gives us to work ...

VR Editing Course?
Apr 15, 2012

Does anyone know of a good VR editing course?  I've been an MT for 26 years but it seems obvious that editing is in my near future.  Help! ...

Editing 4 Cpl
Feb 15, 2013

Is it even possible to make good money doing editing at 4 cpl?  How much could one expect to make per hour at such a low rate? ...

How To Do VR Editing
Apr 18, 2013

I'm a seasoned MT and would like to learn how to do VR editing.  Are there any companies that will hire and train?   ...

TTS - 3.3 Cpl For Editing?
Oct 17, 2013

Recruiter called me today.  3.3 cpl for editing? Next!!! ...

How Much Editing Is Really Being Done?
Nov 18, 2013

Obviously we know the whole 50% more productive thing was a lie, but has anyone ever done a study on how much editing needs to be done on average?  Just curious if any real numbers have ever been posted on this. ...

Will VR Never Need Editing?
Feb 17, 2014

Or will all editing be done in India in the future?  I see more and more MTs retiring early and/or finding work other than MT (Walmart, etc.) until they can retire.  What will happen when there are no more MTs?  Just a thought.  ...

Editing/VR
Feb 03, 2015

Just wondering if someone out there could explain to this transcriptionist who has never worked with VR how the line count is done? Getting ready to come to work for MModal in the near future and trying to figure everything out.  ...

EMR Editing
Mar 17, 2015

Any of you currently performing EMR editing?  What does it entail?  How's the pay and how does it compare to standard VR editing?  Thank you for your input. ...

Speech Editing.
Oct 15, 2009

My quality has gone down since the clinic that I work at started this.   We use Dictaphone Extext.  Anyway, I must be going too fast or something because I seem to miss things.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I have started reading over my reports myself now before sending them through and I asked my supe if they have improved.  She said yes, but I still am making mistakes and she will send me my reports back shortly.  The only thing else I know t ...

VR Editing With Escript
Nov 12, 2009

I am new to Escript, as well as VR editing.  I find it to be VERY time consuming and crappy pay at $0.04.  That being said, I am lucky to make $10 an hour, if that.  In addition, you have to be on your toes, as it seems like at least one word in a sentence is incorrect.   For example today, one report stated, "testis Cardiolite stress test."  On top of it, this was not an ESL dictator and he spoke very clearly.  It just seems like more work to have to ...

Any Companies Without VR Editing?
Nov 15, 2009

I have applied to multiple companies and taken multiple tests.  I have four job offers, which sounds great, but they are all mostly VR editing and I cannot stand it.  My hands feel lost without them typing :).  Any suggestions of any companies that do not have VR editing?  ...

Anyone Here Editing VR With Transcend?
Apr 21, 2010

And if so, how fast is it possible to get?  I'm struggling to get faster than 200 lines per hour.  I've only been editing for a couple of months, but I'm really wondering if it is possible to get much faster?  Advice please! ...