A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Doctors and front end SR - TXMT

Posted: Apr 27, 2014

Hospital where I worked before being outsourced kept a friend of mine on for QA. Now they don't outsource at all. Using a program like Dragon and the doctor dictating has to edit his own report. And QA is auditing the doctors! If the report is not accurate, the doctor is written up. No more blaming the MT for their mistake.

I like it! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
:)

I hope they pick apart the doctors' reports - for every punctuation mark, etc.!

[ In Reply To ..]
See how THEY like it.

That ought to end QA nitpicking (sm) - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
And I'm sure the doctors now blame all errors on VR. Wouldn't it be nice to return a report to a doctor with the notations...

"NO FIRST NAME OR SPELLING OF LAST NAME FOR CC LIST - PLEASE RESEARCH!!!"

"RETURNED FOR DEMOGRAPHICS YOU NEGLECTED TO PROVIDE!!!"

"STOP DICTATING "AND COMA!!!"

"REMEMBER TO USE PAUSE BUTTON WHEN CHEWING!!!"

Misunderstanding ... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you are misunderstanding how this works. Still.

These reports aren't going to medical records so someone can print them and fax them around. They are not going to a computer 3000 miles away to be transcribed. It happens on the computer in front of the doctor as he speaks. The report appears in the record AS HE SPEAKS EACH WORD. No delay.

They are usually entered straight into the patient's EHR while the doctor is IN the EHR. No dempgraphics have to be added, because the EHR already has them.

There are no issues with chewing, or mumbling, because the Dragon does the transcript in front of the doctor -- he sees the problem right then and has to adapt. What he sees is what he gets.

These systems usually do not allow for cc's. There is no need because all the doctors have access to the same record electronically. It is also such a huge HIPAA liability that any hospital that faxes and mails copies is crazy. (We do not do it.)

Umm, yeah, we do that, too. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
We audit for content, though, not for spelling and punctuation.

Just pile it on the doctors - Val

[ In Reply To ..]
Next, the hospitals will fire everyone and have the doctors run the lab, count the pills, manage the IT, sign in the patients, do the coding and billing, and clean the floors. What does "accurate" mean, I wonder? Is "QA" a high school graduate telling the doctor that he or she left out a comma? I think using Dragon just adds more pressure, more things to do, and will lead to physician burnout. See the bit about "underutilization" of physicians in the "Corporatization of Medicine" post from a couple days ago.

KevinPho, "Doctors and Nurses Being Overloaded with Menial Tasks" - Val

[ In Reply To ..]
Excerpt from an article by Jordan Grumet --

I don't agree with the words "menial tasks"-- I prefer "division of labor."

The excerpt: "Why can̢۪t you get an appointment with your doctor? Why are diagnoses being missed? Why is the quality of health care in the United States declining rapidly? Stop querying big data and start looking at the hunched backs and sore shoulders of the people who are inputting that data.

We are turning our physicians and nurses into scribes, field workers, and secretaries. Those who create the most value, who took the most time and money to train, are being overloaded with menial and level inappropriate tasks.

No small business would be naive enough to operate this way.

Why then, should one of the largest sectors of our economy?"

GOOD - they act like they are gods or something

[ In Reply To ..]
let them eat cake!!!

MT profession - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Anyone out there feel that MT will eventually make a come back? Maybe point and click can't replace narrative dictation. Maybe doctors won't want to bother with clerical/editing. Maybe the emphasis on accuracy is a good thing to a certain extent because the more accurate we are, the more valuable we may be to them. Maybe MT won't disappear but just go to another country. I wish we were competitive with wage rate. Maybe other countries will have their own medical records some day and that will solve the problem!

Come back - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
It will never make a comeback to what it was. Yes accuracy is a plus but the doctors don't see what goes into that accuracy. Most probably think the VR is that accurate. They don't know it goes to us who clean up all the inaccuracies. Editors may never go away, or will go to other countries ,but the well paid MT is definitely a thing of the past.

Similar Messages:

On Any Front
Nov 10, 2013

Here's my observation for a Sunday for what that's worth   No matter what aspect of Nuance you work in, be it MLS OR QC, you are never good enough, never fast enough, never perfect enough, you are not the mind reader they had hoped they had hired.   If you pore over a job to leave fewer blanks, you are too slow. If you try to meet production, you leave too many blanks.  Oh, and don't try to point out errors on the account specifics cuz chances are they will never g ...

What Does The R Stand For In Front Of The Job #?
Mar 16, 2011

Hi - Had 2 transcriptions from a new hospital, and both had an R encased in a box in front of the internal job number.  Anyone know what this means? TIA ...

Front Sac Capsule?
Aug 02, 2011

Contrast material was injected to distend the front sac capsule for provocation.   Is FRONT SAC right?   ...

Front And Center-it Seems The LM People Who Got Their Pay Cut
Aug 17, 2010

are the lucky ones.  (see below threads)  I have received emails of many being just laid off without warning and MAYBE a week's notice.  Take this as a warning people!  We work at home and don't know what is going on until it is too late-except for MT STARS.  GET IT? ...

Any News Yet On The Coding Front?
Mar 19, 2014

or maybe not so patiently :-) ...

DSS Voice File With A $ Sign In Front Of It?
Jul 29, 2011

I agreed to do some work in coverage for someone and the doctor sent files directly.  He uses an Olympus recorder that uploads on AS-4000 Pro Player platform.  Once uploaded, it sends each voice file out by encrypted email.  So I got the .dss file but it comes as .$dss In addition to the voice file, there is an .html file that contains the header information for the recording.  I downloaded the DSS Lite Player, but it doesn't recognize the file.  Before I start d ...

Synergy - Another Indian Front Company
Apr 28, 2012

When reading their website.  Little grasp of English grammar.  Misspelled words.  Typical foreign adjectives.  Bah! ...

Silent Type - Having To Pay Up Front To Train In Jersey!
Jul 08, 2011

Thanks for letting me know about having to pay up front to train in Jersey! I wouldn't even do that if we had the money when you don't know how awful of an account you may get or horrible platform. I was just getting ready to test. Thanks for the info! ...

So Sick Of Docs With 12-inch Thick Tongues! They Should Have To Use Front-end SR! NM
Jun 17, 2015

Webmedx Presents Award To Providers For Front-end Speech Implementation
Sep 17, 2010

This article was from July, I just found it. It may have been addressed back then, and if so I missed it. Here is one part of the article: "Currently in use at several Webmedx customer sites, the ability for physicians to capture documentation using front-end voice recognition and then self-edit their work reduces costs by 60% for every transcribed report." This is the link to the article: http://www.healthcareitnews.com/press-release/webmedx-presents-award-providers-front-end-speech-implem ...

Any Input Appreciated Re: Front-desk Optometry Office Work
Jun 21, 2012

I'm a former MT who decided I couldn't live "peaceably" with VR (LOL) and left MT a few months ago.  I've had some trouble finding a job outside of MT since then, though.  I'm willing to branch out, but I suspect that after many, many years of doing MT, some employers aren't willing to take a chance that I'd be happy long-term in a less-challenging job.  (The applications I most often get a response from are medical-type jobs.)  Maybe they'r ...

"There Was A Time When Doctors Were Doctors" By James Ong
May 06, 2014

From the KevinPho MD site:   There was a time when doctors were doctors. There was a time when young men and women sacrificed the best years of their youth, learning to treat patients and conquer diseases, not to become typists, paper pushers, data-entry clerks, or to have hospitals, insurance companies, and the federal government dictate to us how to practice medicine.   There was a time when doctors were trusted. There was a time when we were not guilty until proven ot ...

Doctors Who Cut Themselves Off
Feb 05, 2010

Doesn't it drive you nuts when a doctor consistently cuts himself off when he dictates?  I sometimes get half words, the last couple letters of words, places where I haves to leave blanks because they say something like:  EKG showed (silence) rhythm.  What kind of regular?  Regular rate and....?  Arrrrggggghhhh! Sorry.  Needed to vent.  I make sure to send a note that dictation cuts out.  What I really want to say is the doctor dictates like an idio ...

Is It Just Me, Or Do A Lot Of Doctors Have The
Feb 16, 2011

I have heard Indiana Jones, however.  ...

Pig Doctors
Feb 16, 2014

I dispise doctors who not only eat while dictating, but eat with their mouths right up to the phone, openly smacking loudly - smack-smack-smack.  What disgusting pigs!  I hate them! They obviously aren't taught any table manners where they come from. ...

Anyone Know? Are Doctors And NP Or Anyone
Aug 15, 2014

encounters, are they required to have a short course on proper dictation procedure? I would think, being that this medical record is sooo freaking important that we are drawn and quartered if not perfect, that these professionals who generate these reports would also be schooled about proper pronunciation, enunciation, etc. before they throw it out there for us to perfect. Getting kind of sick of these lazy, mush-mouthed, slurred, rapid and mispronounced dictations. ...

Some Of These Doctors
Sep 24, 2014

Should have their right to dictate revoked. What a looong day ...

TTD, Inc. (The Transcription Doctors, Inc.)
Oct 25, 2009

If anyone knows any kind of info at all for this company I would love to hear from you. I am supposed to be talking to someone tomorrow from this company and I would love to know if they are legit. Thanks so much! ...

Inconsiderate Doctors
Nov 03, 2009

Why is it the doctors cannot give you the information you need in the order you need it.  They all know the standards and they will sure raise hell if we deviate.  Would it be too much to ask for just a little consideration in this regard so we are not constantly jumping all over the place?  I mean, heck, their God, God can do anything. ...

Transcription Doctors Inc.
Jan 20, 2010

Has anyone worked with this company before, not seen much posted for them, is that good or bad? ...

The Transcription Doctors
Feb 20, 2010

I can't find a dang thing in the archives about this company.  HELP.  Thanks everyone. ...

Transcription Doctors TTD
Feb 21, 2010

To the poster who posted below looking for information on TTD.  They don't have their own accounts.  They work for Superior Global and maybe others.  Superior pays them to find ICs.  They probably pay them 4 cpl and then TTD pays you a cruddy 3 cpl to edit VR reports.  They don't offer direct deposit because Superior is paying them and then they pay you, which is why you have to wait a month for your check.   I would never work for a company that is just bascially an agency hir ...

The Transcription Doctors TTD
Jun 29, 2010

I accidentally posted this on the main board too so sorry for the repeat post. I saw a post here that TTD was a bad company to work for. I recently graduated form CS and I have been looking for a job for the past 2 weeks. TTD offered me a job without doing any testing and I thought that was odd. I really want to gain experience since but I don't want to work for a horrible place. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! ...

The Transcription Doctors - TTD
Jun 29, 2010

I have gone through the past several months and I saw one post about The Transcription Doctors being a bad company to work for. I was wondering if anyone has had a good experience or if they are all still bad comments. I just recently graduated from CS and I have been looking for jobs for a while. I was offered the job at TTD without doing any testing and I just thought it was odd. I just want to gain experience but Im nervous to work there after what I have read. Any input would be greatl ...

TTD - The Transcription Doctors
Apr 15, 2010

My recommendation is to have any MT who feels her time is valuable to Stay very far away from this company. I am going to be very careful in how I word this.  Company did not pay me correctly.  Our line counts did not match.  Experienced problems with line count accuracy early in employment.  Kept accurate records of line counts (their counts and my counts).  Was only paid 1/10th of first invoice.  Inquired about issue several times, and only when I sent an email to ...

Student Doctors!
Nov 04, 2010

Why, oh why, oh why can't the students hit the PAUSE button when they are dictating to gather their thoughts?  Why must I sit through listening to page turning, and "thinking" noises?  Meanwhile, time is money in this job ... and I really am getting tired of this!  My main account is a large teaching hospital, and so I get alot of students, residents, fellows ... etc.  <grrrrrrrrr> OK .. I feel better now that I just vented!  :) ...

W2 From Transcription Doctors?
Feb 05, 2011

I was an IC for TTD for about 6 months.  Has anyone gotten their W2 from them yet? (the one in California).  Thanks! ...

Transcription Doctors -How Often Is Pay?
Feb 18, 2011

Do you have to work a month before getting your first check at Transcription Doctors? How frequently do they pay?  Do they offer direct deposit?  Thanks ...

Addressing Two Doctors
Feb 21, 2011

In the salutation would it be Dear Dr. Smith and Dr. Jones?  Or would it be Dear Doctors Smith and Jones?  ...

I Think The Q Should Be Educating All The Doctors
Mar 24, 2011

that they are dictating for ASR and how to do it, punctuation and all. They need to take some responsibility for this. If they would dictate for ASR, ASR output would likely be better. I base this on the doctors who do dictate everything, including punctuation and the fact the output is good for this doctors. Although, these doctors do tend to speak in a more understandable manner. I spend too much time stopping to punctuate, and I shouldn't need to. ...