A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Mercedes Town Hall--What did you think? - OTI Gal

Posted: Sep 09, 2014

I listened to the Mercedes town hall. What did you think? They did say VBC was coming. Does this sound like Bayscribe to you? They said VBC was coming, but rate of pay would not change. I wonder how that will work. They promised nothing would change as of October 1. I wonder what it will be like on January 1.

Well, VBC sucks, but rather work for the sisters at my rate now with VBC - than 6.5 cpl. If it is much lower, I wil be gone

[ In Reply To ..]
e

Could you tell if there were many others calling in? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
a

Mercedes Town Hall - OTI Gal

[ In Reply To ..]
In my call there were seven MT participants and Julia Williamson, the MT liason, Katherine Dozier, Donna ?, and Dan from the Mercedes team.

I don't understand... - Annoyed

[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't call in, but from what I'm reading I am confused. If it's VBC, it's going to be SIGNIFICANTLY less than what we're making now. And if we'd already have to agree to the 1 cpl decrease upon signing, it's going to be a decrease regardless. How can they say NOTHING will change come October 1? At this point, I don't want to sign. Did anyone who felt that way have a change of heart after the town hall?

I don't understand either - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
if, as noted below, people are receiving contracts with 0.65 VBC, is that not a change? I don't know...

Pretty clear to me. - My 2 cents

[ In Reply To ..]
To me, most of this is crystal clear. I did not listen in on the Mercedes town blah blah meeting as I had already written to Mercedes that I would not be taking a pay cut of 6.5 cpl to work for them and requested they take me off of their email distribution lists.

The contract that Mercedes offered made it clear that the pay is 6.5 cpl for VBC. VBC is NOT a good thing for MTs, no matter how they try to sugar coat it. It is only "coming" if MT companies/corporations allow it! The only way our pay could stay the same using VBC would be to give us an INCREASED cents per line. This is plain math. VBC benefits the corporations only - not the MTs, period. Back when VBC was first talked about, many of us MTs said, fine, we will typelikethisandneverhitthereturnbarbecausethatwouldbetheonlyfairwaytousevbc. AHDI touted it as being a "standard" for the industry which is just a bunch of hooey. There has been a very workable standard, the xx-character line (usually 65). Long ago, advances in "word processing" and software learned how to not pay us for things we enter/type in demographics/headers. /footers. AHDI has turned on the MTs, from my POV back when they hopped into bed with MQ during the lawsuit. I dropped maintaining my many years CMT and local chapter membership at that point.

What is clear to me: Mercedes is offering OTI MTs a pay cut; they are offering for us to follow our account/s; they are offering the possibility of more VR accounts; and the possibility that if we don't willingly get night shifts/weekend hours covered, they will outsource the work outside of the U.S. It is clear as crystal to me.

From what I understand, Mercedes will be using Bayscribe still. Evidently Bayscribe now has a VBC option built in the software? Or they will transition to a new platform. This part is NOT clear to me. Anyone else?

As for the two sisters, their email was pretty clear. We can work for them (the sisters) through RecordsOne. They said that Bayscribe changed their name to RecordsOne and that those of us who stay with the sisters will be working for the transcription section of RecordsOne/Bayscribe. They also stated clearly that they will remain US based, that we can work for both RecordsOne and Mercedes at the same time, and stated that our line rates will be the same.

My concerns and questions: Why would any of us want to jump ship to Mercedes for 6.5 cpl with the talk of not remaining US based if the MTs don't start covering better the night/weekend shifts let alone go to VBC?! Are they hoping we will do this because our primary/other accounts have gone to them? Really? And, if we do NOT choose to follow our account/s to Mercedes because of the pay cut/VBC, how can the two sisters POSSIBLY absorb extra MTs onto half of the accounts that are already short on work and have been for months?

And, how is it that the two sisters can envision continuing to pay us 8 cpl (7.5 and 7.0 cpl for some accounts) if things are SO bad that two partners wanted to jump ship this way (from what seems like to me an amazing slap in the face to all of us - pay cut and VBC and less work because they might send work offshore if we don't get with it and work through the night)?

How can the sisters sustain what they say - same pay rate, more accounts coming online - with all of the things Mr D implied in the first Mercedes conference call. Do they have more hope that things will finally turn around for the industry? Thoughts??
Well Said - OTI Gal
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with everything you posted. I thought lurking in my mind is Mercedes has found a way to increase their profit margin and that is the whole sum and substance of the matter. Pay us less, charge the clients the same competitive rate, more money in the pockets of Mercedes.
Deep pockets - Trying to be hopeful
[ In Reply To ..]
OTI gal, I had the same thought. VBC only benefits the company under the guise of some kind of BS for "standard" counting method.
Everything these people are telling you is a - pack of lies. Smoke & mirrors. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
VBC - visible black character - revisited - My 2 Cents again
[ In Reply To ..]
Posted below are some links from other posters here on MTstars about VBC that might be helpful as well as some other links I found on Google search. We need to educate ourselves on what VBC really is and understand that it is not beneficial to us. The only way it can benefit us is if our cpl is raised, not decreased. If I have this wrong, I hope someone will explain it.

http://www.mtstars.com/c-Line-rate-84908.html

http://www.mtstars.com/c-visible-black-character-VBC-spaces-not-counted-SM-98614.html

http://www.aaita.com/index.php/mproducts/mtranscription/munitofmeasure

http://forum.mtstars.com/561874.html and http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/ftr_05122008p6.shtml

That's what I thought... - Annoyed
[ In Reply To ..]
I actually sent an e-mail to be included in a town hall discussion only because I wanted them to clarify how exactly "nothing" would change when it says right in black and white in the contract that it will, immediately, even if you don't take VBC into account (which we most definitely need to do!). Now I am thinking I may just do like you've done and tell them to quit sending me e-mails. It's just muddying the waters. I am hoping to hear back from the sisters, as sadly none of my accounts remained on their side and I do NOT want to pursue this "option." I find it hard to believe that all of these accounts that went with Mercedes have been renegotiated at a lower rate, which then has to be passed on to the MTs. I am inclined to think that instead Mercedes is trying to stick it to us because they can, and pocket the difference. Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.
More likely, imho, they "won" the accounts they have by offering a lower price .. - shadow
[ In Reply To ..]
and promised them the same or better service. Well, nuts to those kind of promises made on our backs.

My guess is that at least some of these new Mercedes accounts expect the same or better service/TAT/quality. Good luck with that.

Most people who have worked at OTI for any length of time have learned to fend for themselves. But, having worked with team leaders, they were usually quickly overwhelmed (often snappish) from customer complaints (some reasonable, some not -- we all know transcription/medical records is a traditional whipping boy -- neither time or temperament to handhold or babysit.

Wondering who's going to be doing their QA and how that's going to change. Oh well, not my problem. Good question to ask for anyone planning on working for them.

Oh, yeah, those liaison folks will definitely be USA and receiving USA wages.
I suppose you could be right - Annoyed
[ In Reply To ..]
I hadn't thought about the division of the accounts being decided this way. But I agree - I am sure the clients ARE expecting the same quality and turnaround time (I mean, just read the mission statement on the Mercedes web site!), but they may find that's not going to happen. I don't know too may people who would be willing to take that kind of a pay cut if they have a choice. They may find they don't have enough trusted, quality MTs from OTI to keep themselves afloat, and then they have to try to bring on new folks and train them up, plus finding ANYONE who'll accept that kind of pay is unlikely. Unless they're overseas. And there we are.
I'm more convinced than ever that by the end - of the year, there wont be - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
much left in the way of MT jobs ANYWHERE. And beyond that, I think the Indian jobs are going to start drying up next - as point-n-click begins to overtake and surpass VR as the transcription method of choice.

Did I hear correctly? Did they say 20 out of 100 people went with Mercedes? - What happened to the 200?

[ In Reply To ..]
d

I believe it was a hypothetical - if 20/100 hired end up leaving Mercedes at least they have 80 - ppl to cover & alleviates need for shift work

[ In Reply To ..]
x

response to 20/100 - anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, that is what I heard. I think it was another push for the liason. If I remember correctly, they said if they hire 100, 20 leave, that leaves 80 MTs. Then, the liason will have a chat with the MTs who are left and ask if they want to pick up the volume of work instead of hiring new MTs. They want us to think the liason is a great concept.
Exactly. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

VBC is only coming - if WE accept it.

[ In Reply To ..]
which I will not do. I'll flip burgers first.

I feel STOOPID enough for accepting - what this industry has done

[ In Reply To ..]
to our pay over the last 10-15 years. VBC is where I finally draw my line & make my stand. Maybe I can get a teeny bit of self-respect back by doing that, who knows.

VBC means the pay rate WILL change. (SM) - Lotus

[ In Reply To ..]
For a standard 65-character line, you will no longer be paid for 65 characters. Every time you hit the space bar, it will be for free. It all adds up to far less pay for you.

Yep - 8 cpl (65-character) for 100 lines = $8. That same 100 lines at 8 cpl (VBC) = $5.17 - Imagine the cut in pay at 0.065 cpl VBC!

[ In Reply To ..]
Ridiculous - my very first transcription job back in the day paid more than that!

VBC - Ugh sm - Kindred

[ In Reply To ..]
I said I would never work VBC again. I was getting .09 VBC and it was the TIME that bothered me more than the money. I type 1000 lines but then actually have to type 1200 lines just to make up for the 20% loss of spaces, so there at least 1 hour extra every evening just making up the loss. When you've typed 1500 lines VBC, you've actually typed about 1800 lines - there's 2 more hours at 150 lines hour added to your evening. Make for a loooooong night.

I still would like to know how many people are going to sign Mercedes' contract. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
d

(a) They believe the lies. (b) They currently - have no other viable options.

[ In Reply To ..]
Even if the answer is (b), I still think it's a huge mistake. I know because I made that mistake once in the past, and it's been a financial nightmare for me that I'll likely never recover from.

If I could rewind my life and get a do-over on that dumb decision, I'd pass on signing on with a takeover company in a heartbeat. They'll destroy your health, your financial security (or whatever is still left), and your sense of self-worth.

Mercedes meeting - my after-thoughts

[ In Reply To ..]
I just had mine and listened to all the good things they wanted to share about staying US based and all the work we wanted and how great it was going to be. When it came my turn for questions (and I think there was only 3 of us on the call) - I said everything said is great but my only question pertained to pay; that taking a rate decrease to .065 was one thing but then to learn about the whole VBC issue and how much more that lowered it was another story and could they explain that. I got a brief response that VBC is now the "norm" for the industry but that it would not effect us "yet" - that for now we would still be paid 0.65 until things changed but they would not pinpoint when that change would be. Was told if we could get .08 somewhere else, go for it but that it probably wouldn't last more than a year. I said I have been doing this for almost 20 years and that it worked out to almost minimum wage. I have already taken pay cuts and just about ready to give it up (minimum wage is trying to go to $10-15/hour - what happens to us then?). They did strongly suggest they were staying US based, but I just can't afford it anymore. I am not planning on signing. I will keep my .08/line and look for another 7-8/line to add to it, even if it is only for a year or less and try to get my other home-based pet business up and going by then. Good luck to all. I feel they will be running an ad here soon looking for newbies willing to accept this rate.

If 8 cpl only lasted for a year - that would be better than

[ In Reply To ..]
taking their slap in the face. Yeah, thanks, I'll go for it.

It's mid-September. So likely there are only - 3 months left before their - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
"exciting changes" begin seriously affecting your pay.

The company I was with last year said it'd likely be years before the changes they had in the works would begin to affect the transcriptionists. That was a lie. it began to affect us within 3 months. Work slowed to a trickle, then disappeared entirely. A week later, we were all unceremoniously kicked to the curb.

Interesting e-mail - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I sent an e-mail to HR, expressing my concern about the pay decrease. I said, "The initial decrease to 6.5 cpl is tough enough; but, if I understand this correctly, with the introduction of VBC and not being paid for headers of footers, we are actually talking about a much bigger pay cut here. If I am wrong about this, please set me straight. If I'm not, then I will have to decline the contract with Mercedes." The response I got: "Thank you for letting us know you will not be continuing with Mercedes. You will receive no further mailings from us. Best of luck in your future endeavors." So, there you have it. An admission if I ever heard one. And I didn't even have to expressly bow out - calling them on it did it for me. Unbelievable.

that is their standard reply. I got the same one when I said I - did not want the conference call. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
And so did two friends of mine. Form letter e-mail. They probably got sick of sending out answers to our rejections and just figured a form letter would suffice.

You're kidding!!!!! - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
You mean they aren't even necessarily reading the e-mails from people, just assuming we're not going with them and then sending a "so sorry - have a good life" response? Curiouser and curiouser.
yup, and it was the exact same wording for all of us! - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
T
just try it if you are not going to sign. you will get the same thing. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
G
you are all too kind! - minnie
[ In Reply To ..]
you are all being so nice by even letting them know you are not interested! I have no use for them and don't even want to waste my time telling them so!! I treated M'Modal the same way when my old company was bought out by them and they started with the schmoozing!!
Same exact response to me too - Not surprise
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note informing us that you will not join us on October 1st. I will remove you from future mailings.

We wish you continued success in your personal and professional endeavors.

Thank you.

Yup - that's it! - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I was paraphrasing before, but that's exactly what it said! Good grief. Talk about adding insult to injury! As for being too kind, I guess I was honestly trying to force their hand - ask them whether what they were saying in the conference calls was true about the pay staying the same. Now to find that they're not even reading these e-mails...well, who the heck wants to work for someone like that????? I ask you!?!?
Yeah, I thought the 24-hour written notice of termination of contract was a bit of a clue iykwim - shadow
[ In Reply To ..]
Most of us agonize over giving 2 weeks notice out of consideration or just how we were brought up or not wanting to leave a bad impression.

Just who would that 24 hour written notice benefit most? Oops, job all gone!!!! txsbye!!!

clarify - minnie
[ In Reply To ..]
the only reason I say you guys were too nice is because I have been through this before, not just with MModal, but other smaller companies. I have been an MT for 33 years and I really used to love this job. I still would love it if I didn't have to deal with all the BS. Back in my heyday (about 25 yrs ago)I made 15 cpl....can you believe that!!! I am just getting so tired of it all and I am honestly tired of being nice (to the big wigs).
I understand what you meant, minnie - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Oh, I know, I get it! I do try to be nice and respectful, and certainly I don't want to burn any bridges, but it is upsetting. I myself have been doing this in one capacity or another for almost 20 years, and it's one of the professions that actually loses money - how is that possible? Can a machine understand the nuances of these doctors' speech? Or change things at a moment's notice as they are wont to do? I take pride in my profession, and it has blessed me with the opportunity to be home with my kids in their formative years. I have never had to look to a day care or babysitter so I could go to work, not that that was easy. Far from it. It's assumed that since you work from home, you're always on the clock and your schedule is completely flexible to the needs of family and home and whatever comes up. But now that my kids are in middle/high school, I still want to be here for them. This job has given me that opportunity to this point. It's been a rough week. I'm so conflicted and frustrated and I feel betrayed and uncertain, but we're all professionals, and hopefully all will end well for us, no matter what! Best of luck to all you (me included) in the future!

Similar Messages:

If Anyone Is Going To Join The "Town Hall" Conference Call With Mercedes
Sep 09, 2014

I hope they will share what is said.  I would love to just be a "fly on the wall."  ...

Town Hall Notes
Feb 03, 2012

Does anyone have any ideas where I could find samples of town hall notes to get some idea as to how to set the page up?  I did a search and really did not come up with anything.  thanks to all with any ideas, I appreciate them very much!!!! ...

TOWN HALL WEBCAST
Nov 22, 2013

Does anyone know if we get paid to watch this one hour town hall webcast? ...

Just Got Link To Town Hall Meeting
Mar 09, 2012

and we get paid to listen to it?  That's different. ...

Town Hall Meeting - Not To Participate
Nov 08, 2012

I guarantee you I won't be one of the "chosen few" to participate with questions in this town hall meeting next week, I cause too much trouble by sending e-mails throughout the year to Vern and Amy, never to any avail.  I just hope whoever they DO pick will ask some tough questions.  Of course, I'm sure MModal will pick and choose what they answer so they don't look like the conniving thieves they really are. ...

Town Hall Meeting Clarification
Aug 20, 2013

Blah! Blah! Blah! Please clarify something that stood out for me.  ". . . beginning of 2012 pay rates increased 6.6% and beginning 2013, 3.4%." For who?  Surely, not for me.  My pay has decreased substantially in the the last 3 years with more time spent editing each day. HMMMMM.   ...

IMEDX Town Hall Meeting
May 13, 2015

Was it cancelled? How do we log in for the meeting? ...

? Re Transcend Town Hall Meetings Yesterday
Apr 06, 2012

I called in to the 3pm town hall meeting yesterday but the audio was so bad (echoing/clangy-sounding) that I was forced to hang up or risk having my eardrums rupture!  Can anybody fill me in on what was discussed?  Were most people displeased with the forced changes and what's about to go down VR-wise (as I am)?  Any earth-shattering announcements or new info?  I hope somebody can fill me in since I'm too impati ...

Dear Mmodal: Your Town Hall Meeting Was
Aug 10, 2012

Insulting to every MT working for your company. But hey, thanks V. D., for paying me $5.53 to listen to you blabbering about how awesome your team is... the part of your team that makes a bunch of money anyway, while basically ignoring those of us who do the work that give you and your team your nice fat paychecks. I mean, a lot of MT's are struggling to feed their families, but I'm sure glad you are getting that new "state of the art" building for the suits to sit in.  And ...

Imedx And Upcoming Town Hall Meeting
May 10, 2015

I am curious what other MTs at Imedx think about the upcoming Town Hall meeting at Imedx.  I feel it is another effort, just like the employee suggestion program, to try to put a pretty face on a very ugly, dirty company.  I think Imedx perhaps made a mistake when they bought out TranTech, a good-sized company with many long-time, good, intelligent MTs who were used to being treated with respect. We simply are not going to sit idly by when treated like crap and not put u ...

Where Exactly On The MLS Website Are The Frequently Asked Questions From The Town Hall Meetings?
Dec 28, 2010

x ...

Town Hall Meeting - Give Me The Reader's Digest Version?
Aug 08, 2012

can someone just give me the reader's digest version? ...

OMFS - Hall Drill With A 7 To 1 Bur
Apr 27, 2015

anyone know how to correctly "write" 7 to 1 bur?   Is it 721 bur?  7:1 bur?  7 to 1?   A Hall drill with a "7 to 1" bur was used to make osteotomies around the plates as well as to section the plates. ...

What Do You Think Of Mercedes?
Oct 01, 2014

How has the first few hours with Mercedes been? Should I request a contract with them? ...

Medical Coding In A Small Town
Jul 22, 2011

I am considering medical coding training and would like some recommendations for good programs. Also, I live in a town of about 15,000. We have a small hospital that is on the verge of closing due to $$ problems so I wouldn't count on getting a job there. The next closest hospital is 50 miles away. Could I make enough $$ to make up for the commute I would have to do every day? ...

Any Town/place That Sounds Like Heedee
Jan 15, 2014

The sentence is "the patient had recent travel to **** but only stayed there one day"   S/L heedee ...

Well, I Got My Mercedes Contract...
Sep 06, 2014

Knew it was going to be bad, but not this bad....and VBC, no headers or footers. ...

Mercedes Contract
Sep 10, 2014

I decided to send them the contract e-mail back stating I would not be accepting and why - that with 20 years experience, I will quit the industry before going that low and that there are still other jobs out there willing to pay more (even if it is only for 6 months to a year that they told me it would last).  I said if they get no takers and want to consider offering us more, please feel free to contact me.  Hopefully, we all do the same.  Good luck. ...

Did You Sign With Mercedes?
Sep 11, 2014

Have you signed with Mercedes? Even with the idea of being a temporary thing to do? Do you know how many signed with them? I am nosy and curious. ...

RecordsOne / Mercedes
Sep 13, 2014

Apparently I am probably with one of the "sister" companies in this transition.  Like you guys, I am trying to weigh out my options here.  I'm reading the comments about the offer from Mercedes.  Does anyone know if RecordsOne is offering pretty much the same offer?   I feel like if the "sister" company keeps me onboard, to go on the other accounts they have, are they really able to "absorb" another MT.  I feel like the relative you let sleep on the couch just beca ...

Anybody Tempted To Go With Mercedes Just For Something To Do?!!!
Oct 07, 2014

I'm beginning to think RecordsOne got the raw end of this deal. ...

Mercedes Transcription
Dec 22, 2014

I notice this company has some openings.  Awhile back I had noticed some negative posts concerning the company and am wondering if anything has changed.  ...

Mercedes Pay Cut - Would Someone Check My Math?
Sep 10, 2014

On reading the posts below, if an MT makes 8 cpl and pay is cut down to 6.5 cpl, that is an approximately 20% pay cut. Then, going from a 65-character line with spaces to VBC (a 65-character line without spaces), that is an approximately 30% pay cut. So, 20% plus 30% equals an overall 50% pay cut.  Can that possibly be correct? ...

Just Said Goodbye To Most Of My Accounts With OTI That Went To Mercedes.
Sep 30, 2014

d ...

Offer From Mercedes Transcription
May 12, 2015

I have received an offer from this company and she said it paid 0.065 cpl straight transcription.  Well, I start reading over the new hire paperwork and it says pay is 0.065 VBC.  So, I am not working for somewhere if they don't pay spaces.  I email her and say I am no longer interested.    She emails back and says that they do pay for spaces and that it has something to do with Bayscribe which i know nothing about.  She wants me to reconsider?  What do yo ...

OTI/Mercedes - Am I The Only One Who Received No Notice Whatsoever From OTI?
Sep 09, 2014

I received no notice from OTI/the sisters that there would be any change/division of company - the only thing I received in my email has been from Mercedes. Am I the only one who OTI didn't contact before all this went down?  ...

Was There Another Mercedes Conference Call Today?
Sep 10, 2014

d ...

I Wish RecordsOne Would Get Those Mercedes Accounts Off The Board!!
Oct 06, 2014

It's depressing to see my accounts that are gone that I could be working on!! ...

What Companies Use Bayscribe Besides RecorsOne And Mercedes?
Oct 08, 2014

d ...

RecordsOne/Mercedes Both Say They Were Previously Oracle. Sm
May 07, 2015

If I do an archive search for Oracle it does not tell me which company is good, bad or if they are both good or bad.  Does anyone work for RecordsOne and if so will you share your thoughts?  Thanks in advance. ...