A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What do you think of Mercedes? - OTI or Mercedes?

Posted: Oct 01, 2014

How has the first few hours with Mercedes been? Should I request a contract with them?

Why would you want to work for 6.5 cpl VBC, equating to 5 cpl or less? sm - I do not understand

[ In Reply To ..]
Target is hiring. At least you would get benefits and a reliable paycheck.

Just wondering who joined Mercedes - anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I was inquiring because they stated "exciting" in their advance e-mails. I was curious what, if anything, they had to offer to compensate for decreased rate of pay. Also, I was curious if they in fact got MTs to do their work. I am nose I guess--Do you think they are getting the work out at Mercedes?

I have no way of knowing. I would hope that everyone turned them down. sm - I do not understand

[ In Reply To ..]
The only thing exciting was perhaps their excitement at the prospect of making more and more money while stiffing the MTs. Let them send it to India, which I think is what they wanted to do in the first place. Work in general at OTI has been kinda dry over the last few weeks, so I have no idea what the future will bring.

I suspect people plagued by NJA and bills to pay NOW... - raven

[ In Reply To ..]
There were a lot of people complaining that they plain weren't getting jobs to type regardless of the rate. I'm guessing some of them may well be making more at 0.065 than they were with NJA before. For folks who only need to make a few hundred dollars a week and who don't have a lot of experience doing production, having steady work might look like a god-send in getting ready for a applying for their next job.
... and, as we all know, it's only temporary. (I recall working several years when I was a newbie (on the job trained) before I was able to convince TPTB to let me do op reports. Similarly, job seekers who've only done clinic notes really need to broaden their experience, etc.).
I'm guessing some more experienced people may also have signed on in hopes of "career advancement" which was also mentioned
That's my guess.
If they just want pin money, they should go to Walmart or somewhere. sm - JMO
[ In Reply To ..]
Accepting those crap wages just drives the pay lower and lower. I understand about having bills to pay, but I would think a minimum wage job would pay just as well as 5 cpl.
It's the same old story -- those with small children, who paid $$$ for training... - raven
[ In Reply To ..]
Are not going to just give up and go work for Walmart which they can't afford to do because child care, transportation, work wardrobe, etc.

This sort of thing has been driving down wages for the last 25-30 years ... but it doesn't compare to off-shoring or doctors who no longer actually take the time to read or sign their reports -- because they don't have to -- because it's all about through-put (or TAT) and getting the billing completed.
And that is how this became looked upon as a "Mommy" field of work sm - I hope the company goes belly up
[ In Reply To ..]
instead of being respected like other professions. People want to stay at home and rock the babies and take any kind of pittance offered, while the rest of us suffer the consequences. I did not start working at home until long after my children were grown, but the women I knew who worked at home and had children and did well actually sent them to daycare or worked different shifts than their spouses so that they watched the children. It does not matter what I think, though. This has been happening for awhile now. The threat of India started it all -- "we can send it to India cheaper" and so everyone started accepting lower and lower wages, thinking they had no choice. There is always a choice.

No doubt I will get a gazillion dislikes, but I do not care. It is my opinion. I kick myself for not getting out of this profession sooner but I was short-sighted and just enjoyed the great pay and the respect I was given by the people I worked with. I am shocked now when I read there are still people paying to get into this profession -- that's like paying money to learn how to train to be a travel agent, mail carrier, bank teller, or any other dying profession.

Oh, you want EXCITING? Come on over to the Nuance board sm - acuteMLS

[ In Reply To ..]
We've got "exciting" coming out of our ears. "Exciting" is a code word for LOW PAY and lots of B.S. We can hardly contain ourselves at Nuance these days.
EXCITING - Do what I do...
[ In Reply To ..]
I use a different corporate buzzword for drinking games. Today's word is EXCITING!!

In the world of medical transcription, any - communication that contains - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
the word "exciting" may be happy news for the sender, but usually spells impending disaster for the MT.

Actually, 6.5 VBC is equal to about 4 cpl - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I found an article from AHIMA/AAMT that said VBC results in a 31.6% pay decrease for the MT.

So applying the math and comparing to a 65 character line with spaces, 6.5 VBC is equal to 3.96 cpl.

Maybe an offshore MT can live off 4 cpl, but not a US MT. Depending on how many lines per hour you can type, it's probably not even minimum wage.

Did they name it Mercedes because that's the owner drives one? nm - meh

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

And the employees drive Yugos. nm - LOL

[ In Reply To ..]
pfft

I didn't sign a contract with them, and yet - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I still received a call this afternoon requesting for help with some stats on one of my old accounts! What does that tell you? Day one and already they're calling. And I don't even work for them! I suspected as much, when this morning we could still see the workload in BayScribe and all of my accounts that went to them were loaded with tons of jobs. It's gonna be interesting!!!

working for MTI - momoney

[ In Reply To ..]
For those of you in a position to quit, I understand why you did. But for those saying "why did you stay?" Let me tell you why I did. I have been working from home for the last 8 years and it works well for me. I also am in the process of going through a divorce and have 3 kids to support and take care of. For those saying "just go to walmart," I live in an area so rural that the closest department store like that is 50 miles away. Figure up 100 miles a day at today's gas prices, wear and tear on my vehicle, and childcare for 3 kids (all 12 and under) - I would be PAYING to work. So, while it may be so easy for you all to say "just quit" at least I am making SOMETHING with them. Granted, I am not thrilled over the pay cut, but beggars really cannot be choosers.

For those asking, VBC is not implemented yet (that's when I will quit) as their system does not accommodate that. That is where I draw the line!

Sorry, but accepting that rate of pay makes you part of the problem sm - driving down wages

[ In Reply To ..]
Regardless of how you justify it, accepting that wage says that you agree that this job is only worth a pittance. I just accepted a job paying 9 cpl -- there are still companies that pay a decent wage, but they do not just come and knock on your door to find you. You have to go looking and draw some line in the sand and say "I will not work for ____." I sympathize with your situation, but I am tired of people willing to accept anything, causing more and more MTSOs to lower their wages. Good luck to you. The "vibe" I got from the Mercedes side is they want to say that they do not want to offshore, but they want to pay offshore wages and if they drive enough American MTs away with their crap wages, then they can justify shipping it overseas. If my understanding is correct, they will then not be able to use the Bayscribe platform.
well goodie for you - 9cpl
[ In Reply To ..]
That's great you got a job paying 9 cpl, but just as you said they don't come knocking on your door, they are also few and far between PERIOD. I work 4 jobs right now just to pay my bills and even that, on occasion, doesn't cover it. So if I have to work for 6.5 CPL until I can knock on the door of someone willing to pay 9 CPL, then I have to do what I have to do, and honestly, your opinion of MY choice is of no consequence since YOU are not feeding MY kids or paying MY bills.
Which equates to 4-5 cpl, so if you do 200 lph, you make $8-10. nm - Other jobs out there
[ In Reply To ..]
As long as people accept crap wages for whatever reason, wages will continue to go down.

Similar Messages:

Well, I Got My Mercedes Contract...
Sep 06, 2014

Knew it was going to be bad, but not this bad....and VBC, no headers or footers. ...

Mercedes Contract
Sep 10, 2014

I decided to send them the contract e-mail back stating I would not be accepting and why - that with 20 years experience, I will quit the industry before going that low and that there are still other jobs out there willing to pay more (even if it is only for 6 months to a year that they told me it would last).  I said if they get no takers and want to consider offering us more, please feel free to contact me.  Hopefully, we all do the same.  Good luck. ...

Did You Sign With Mercedes?
Sep 11, 2014

Have you signed with Mercedes? Even with the idea of being a temporary thing to do? Do you know how many signed with them? I am nosy and curious. ...

RecordsOne / Mercedes
Sep 13, 2014

Apparently I am probably with one of the "sister" companies in this transition.  Like you guys, I am trying to weigh out my options here.  I'm reading the comments about the offer from Mercedes.  Does anyone know if RecordsOne is offering pretty much the same offer?   I feel like if the "sister" company keeps me onboard, to go on the other accounts they have, are they really able to "absorb" another MT.  I feel like the relative you let sleep on the couch just beca ...

Anybody Tempted To Go With Mercedes Just For Something To Do?!!!
Oct 07, 2014

I'm beginning to think RecordsOne got the raw end of this deal. ...

Mercedes Transcription
Dec 22, 2014

I notice this company has some openings.  Awhile back I had noticed some negative posts concerning the company and am wondering if anything has changed.  ...

Mercedes Town Hall--What Did You Think?
Sep 09, 2014

I listened to the Mercedes town hall. What did you think? They did say VBC was coming. Does this sound like Bayscribe to you? They said VBC was coming, but rate of pay would not change. I wonder how that will work. They promised nothing would change as of October 1. I wonder what it will be like on January 1. ...

Mercedes Pay Cut - Would Someone Check My Math?
Sep 10, 2014

On reading the posts below, if an MT makes 8 cpl and pay is cut down to 6.5 cpl, that is an approximately 20% pay cut. Then, going from a 65-character line with spaces to VBC (a 65-character line without spaces), that is an approximately 30% pay cut. So, 20% plus 30% equals an overall 50% pay cut.  Can that possibly be correct? ...

Just Said Goodbye To Most Of My Accounts With OTI That Went To Mercedes.
Sep 30, 2014

d ...

Offer From Mercedes Transcription
May 12, 2015

I have received an offer from this company and she said it paid 0.065 cpl straight transcription.  Well, I start reading over the new hire paperwork and it says pay is 0.065 VBC.  So, I am not working for somewhere if they don't pay spaces.  I email her and say I am no longer interested.    She emails back and says that they do pay for spaces and that it has something to do with Bayscribe which i know nothing about.  She wants me to reconsider?  What do yo ...

OTI/Mercedes - Am I The Only One Who Received No Notice Whatsoever From OTI?
Sep 09, 2014

I received no notice from OTI/the sisters that there would be any change/division of company - the only thing I received in my email has been from Mercedes. Am I the only one who OTI didn't contact before all this went down?  ...

Was There Another Mercedes Conference Call Today?
Sep 10, 2014

d ...

I Wish RecordsOne Would Get Those Mercedes Accounts Off The Board!!
Oct 06, 2014

It's depressing to see my accounts that are gone that I could be working on!! ...

What Companies Use Bayscribe Besides RecorsOne And Mercedes?
Oct 08, 2014

d ...

RecordsOne/Mercedes Both Say They Were Previously Oracle. Sm
May 07, 2015

If I do an archive search for Oracle it does not tell me which company is good, bad or if they are both good or bad.  Does anyone work for RecordsOne and if so will you share your thoughts?  Thanks in advance. ...

Interested Parties See Mercedes Answers Below.
May 14, 2015

No, I am not a "suit." ...

I Know I'm Beating A Dead Horse Here, But Is There Anyone Here Going To Sign With Mercedes?
Sep 06, 2014

d ...

So, I Hear Mercedes Is Going To Start Hiring New MT's. Any Other Communications From Them?
Oct 03, 2014

d ...

If Anyone Is Going To Join The "Town Hall" Conference Call With Mercedes
Sep 09, 2014

I hope they will share what is said.  I would love to just be a "fly on the wall."  ...