A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Well, I got my Mercedes contract... - OTIperson

Posted: Sep 06, 2014

Knew it was going to be bad, but not this bad....and VBC, no headers or footers.

Ugh. I did not receive mine, but no way would I go for that. sm - Unhappy OTIer

[ In Reply To ..]
I hope the sisters have something better to offer, or I may just walk away from the whole thing. I have not been impressed with these phone calls, and the more I learn, the less I like. Thanks for sharing. I appreciate the heads up.

Did they lower the pay rate too? Looks like the new COO sm - Has India on her mind

[ In Reply To ..]
OTI/Mercedes just threw its MTs under the bus.

Not me - I havent received anything yet

[ In Reply To ..]
No contract, no email, no nothing. I wonder why?

Me neither, but 6-1/2 cpl VBC is an awful rate. nm - No thanks

[ In Reply To ..]
Totally disgusted at this point.

I did too, and I WILL NOT WORK FOR 0.65 CPL. - They can suck an egg! SM

[ In Reply To ..]
I'll completely retire first/

Mercedes Offer - Sharon

[ In Reply To ..]
I got my contract offer also for 6.5 cpl with no headers/footers...Totally disgusted - I wrote back and told them that I did not share in their enthusiasm and was not excited but was extremely insulted that they would offer this to me! I have over 40 years experience, am a single mom with a mortgage and a daughter in college with tuition of over 35,000.00 a year.....6.5 cpl??? Are they kidding? Needless to say, I respectively declined their offer.

Update.....The owner of Mercedes reached out to me wanting to speak to me because of my reply as to their contract. Those of us who have been in this line of work "forever" know that it is the hospitals who are to blame here and not entirely the companies or the competition for that matter...The hospitals just don't care who does their transcription as long as they get the lowest rate around....The companies in turn are struggling to keep afloat (not all, but some)and are forced to come in with the lowest bids to the hospitals just to keep the work here and to have a viable business resulting in a low cpl to the transcriptionists. While I completely "get" where he's coming from and respect him for trying to keep the work here in the U.S., I don't envy the decisions he has to make in order to keep his company competitive...and on the same token, he totally "gets" where I'm coming from in that I just cannot accept that low of a cpl and maintain my household, being a single parent. We both came away with lets say, a new-found respect for one another - after all, we're in the same business...just on different ends of the spectrum..and while this cpl is not a good fit for me, I'm sure there will be those of us who will accept this contract and work happily ever after. So perhaps my opening statement was a bit harsh...this is America and I still have the right to "accept or decline"...and in this case, I declined.

I meant I will not work for 0.065 cpl - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
d

If that is 6 1/2 cpl for VR that is better than most MTSO - will pay. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
zx
That's for straight typing!! - OP
[ In Reply To ..]
d
Sounds like they better go to Plan B - with offshoring their work
[ In Reply To ..]
How can they expect a U.S. MT to survive, keep a roof over our heads and food on the table, with such low pay? Don't they realize what the cost of living is in the U.S.? I'm not talking about luxuries, I'm talking about just the very basic living expenses. While they go out for nice dinners and drive around in their Mercedes. Yeah, right. At wages like that, I'd be hard pressed just to keep Top Ramen on the table for dinner.
And God only knows what they'll pay for VR! - They are goint to want it free!!
[ In Reply To ..]
d
Pretty soon... - Snoopy
[ In Reply To ..]
they'll want US to pay THEM for the privilege of working! This is getting so ridiculous.
Yes, I was hoping "Mercedes" was someone's mother's name - Nicole
[ In Reply To ..]
rather than life-stye of the rich and famous ""champagne wishes and caviar dreams" as if that's going to impress the healthcare managers looking for cheaper and/or better service.
VBC - buns
[ In Reply To ..]
We should conduct our correspondence with them in VBC!
Is there a handy-dandy conversion rate for real characters typed vs. VBC? - anemone
[ In Reply To ..]
Several of my Bayscribe accounts have required HTML formating (obviously not VBC).

Curious how much less than 0.065 this VBC line count really adds up to.
I found this article - An OTIer
[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/ftr_05122008p6.shtml

And let me say that, though I suck at math, I think it's safe to say that, based on this formula, an MT would lose around 1.57 per 100 lines typed when using VBC. Now, if it were a 55-VBC line I THINK (again, I suck at math), it would end up being not much difference.
from your link, by my calculation, it's a 20% paycut - anemone
[ In Reply To ..]
"" For example, a 100-line document for which the medical transcriptionist is paid 8 cents per line results in a total price of $8. To make the conversion from a 65-character line (what many services have billed on and paid for) to essentially a 65-character line without spaces, divide the total number of characters in a document with spaces by 65 and multiply by 52.2; the total is the number of black characters. Then divide $8 by the number of characters (80.38) for the per character rate of .099.""

(( I don't understand why they calculate it this way -- above -- or how .099 figures ))

Sample Document
6,500 characters with spaces = 100 lines

100 standard 65-character lines @ 0.065 = $6.50
5,222 VBCs (no spaces) = 80 65-character-VBC lines = $5.20 = which is 20% less

Which just isn't negligible ... I double, triple checked my math ... There may be something I overlooked ...

thanks for the link!!!
.065 - .06 and no spaces
[ In Reply To ..]
Saince pays one rate for straight and speech, .06 with no spaces. Lots of shifts with only straight typing, so still getting paid .06, no spaces. When you do get the VR, you wish you hadn't, since it's very bad. So we "teach the speech" and then watch our work disappear and go you know where. Used to always have tons of work, now there is nothing but bottom of the barrel or nothing at all.

I think they're just going through the motions - shadow

[ In Reply To ..]
pretty much all stick, no carrot -- as with the conference calls -- not even pretending to be warm or fuzzy or "excited" -- nothing to suggest that anything about working for these people is going include dialogue or negotiation.

A minor detail, but they are staying with Bayscribe.

Consider only as (temporary) stop-gap.

Just wonderful - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have not received anything as of this moment, thought contracts were supposed to be sent out yesterday after the call. Was there mention of which accounts they were keeping and the platform? Thanks

I wonder what really - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
went on behind the scenes in all of this, not that it matters at this point. I am just so sad right now, just puts the icing on the cake of my life this week, but, hey, just business, right? Do they even want people coming over to their company, with the kind of offer that has been stated here, makes me wonder. I think it would not have been unreasonable to allow a little more time for decision making for the MTs whose lives this is greatly impacting. And I don't know why I even think that, having been through many similar situations, ya think I would have wised up by now.

Given the pitiful amount offered, perhaps they realized no time was needed. sm - I would certainly hope all would say no

[ In Reply To ..]
I have said it before, but if people continue to accept lower and lower wages, the wages will continue to fall. Scripted phone calls with no interaction allowed and the COO's background with companies that offshore does not bode well. I try not to wish anything bad on anyone, but I cannot honestly say that I wish these Mercedes creatures any luck at all.

I wonder if I did not get a contract because all of my accounts sm - are with the sisters

[ In Reply To ..]
I have no idea what will happen, but I have no interest in Mercedes. To offer 6-1/2 for IC work is disgusting, and then not to pay for spaces on top of it shows just how little they value the American MT. They want to offshore, so let them. Their name might be Mercedes, but any MT working for them would be lucky to afford a Yugo.

Similar Messages:

Mercedes Contract
Sep 10, 2014

I decided to send them the contract e-mail back stating I would not be accepting and why - that with 20 years experience, I will quit the industry before going that low and that there are still other jobs out there willing to pay more (even if it is only for 6 months to a year that they told me it would last).  I said if they get no takers and want to consider offering us more, please feel free to contact me.  Hopefully, we all do the same.  Good luck. ...

What Do You Think Of Mercedes?
Oct 01, 2014

How has the first few hours with Mercedes been? Should I request a contract with them? ...

Did You Sign With Mercedes?
Sep 11, 2014

Have you signed with Mercedes? Even with the idea of being a temporary thing to do? Do you know how many signed with them? I am nosy and curious. ...

RecordsOne / Mercedes
Sep 13, 2014

Apparently I am probably with one of the "sister" companies in this transition.  Like you guys, I am trying to weigh out my options here.  I'm reading the comments about the offer from Mercedes.  Does anyone know if RecordsOne is offering pretty much the same offer?   I feel like if the "sister" company keeps me onboard, to go on the other accounts they have, are they really able to "absorb" another MT.  I feel like the relative you let sleep on the couch just beca ...

Anybody Tempted To Go With Mercedes Just For Something To Do?!!!
Oct 07, 2014

I'm beginning to think RecordsOne got the raw end of this deal. ...

Mercedes Transcription
Dec 22, 2014

I notice this company has some openings.  Awhile back I had noticed some negative posts concerning the company and am wondering if anything has changed.  ...

Mercedes Town Hall--What Did You Think?
Sep 09, 2014

I listened to the Mercedes town hall. What did you think? They did say VBC was coming. Does this sound like Bayscribe to you? They said VBC was coming, but rate of pay would not change. I wonder how that will work. They promised nothing would change as of October 1. I wonder what it will be like on January 1. ...

Mercedes Pay Cut - Would Someone Check My Math?
Sep 10, 2014

On reading the posts below, if an MT makes 8 cpl and pay is cut down to 6.5 cpl, that is an approximately 20% pay cut. Then, going from a 65-character line with spaces to VBC (a 65-character line without spaces), that is an approximately 30% pay cut. So, 20% plus 30% equals an overall 50% pay cut.  Can that possibly be correct? ...

Just Said Goodbye To Most Of My Accounts With OTI That Went To Mercedes.
Sep 30, 2014

d ...

Offer From Mercedes Transcription
May 12, 2015

I have received an offer from this company and she said it paid 0.065 cpl straight transcription.  Well, I start reading over the new hire paperwork and it says pay is 0.065 VBC.  So, I am not working for somewhere if they don't pay spaces.  I email her and say I am no longer interested.    She emails back and says that they do pay for spaces and that it has something to do with Bayscribe which i know nothing about.  She wants me to reconsider?  What do yo ...

OTI/Mercedes - Am I The Only One Who Received No Notice Whatsoever From OTI?
Sep 09, 2014

I received no notice from OTI/the sisters that there would be any change/division of company - the only thing I received in my email has been from Mercedes. Am I the only one who OTI didn't contact before all this went down?  ...

Was There Another Mercedes Conference Call Today?
Sep 10, 2014

d ...

I Wish RecordsOne Would Get Those Mercedes Accounts Off The Board!!
Oct 06, 2014

It's depressing to see my accounts that are gone that I could be working on!! ...

What Companies Use Bayscribe Besides RecorsOne And Mercedes?
Oct 08, 2014

d ...

RecordsOne/Mercedes Both Say They Were Previously Oracle. Sm
May 07, 2015

If I do an archive search for Oracle it does not tell me which company is good, bad or if they are both good or bad.  Does anyone work for RecordsOne and if so will you share your thoughts?  Thanks in advance. ...

Interested Parties See Mercedes Answers Below.
May 14, 2015

No, I am not a "suit." ...

I Know I'm Beating A Dead Horse Here, But Is There Anyone Here Going To Sign With Mercedes?
Sep 06, 2014

d ...

So, I Hear Mercedes Is Going To Start Hiring New MT's. Any Other Communications From Them?
Oct 03, 2014

d ...

MDI Contract
Mar 15, 2010

I was looking through papers this morning and happened upon the contract MDI had us sign last January as independent contractors, but to be treated as statutory employees for FICA.  I didn't see anywhere where it stated an end date, and it did state that the contract was transferrable to any entity that might acquire MDI, if I read and understood it correctly.  Does that mean that Transcend was then bound by that same contract?  I am just wondering, since our line rate w ...

IC With No Contract
May 12, 2010

I was hired to work as an IC but with no contract.  Does that sound okay? ...

IC Contract
Oct 26, 2010

Need information.  Contemplating going IC instead of employee and have very little knowledge about IC work.  Does the MTSO draw up the contract or the MT?  Any helpful hints would be appreciated. ...

My Contract With TT
Mar 09, 2014

What happens with my contract with TT if I send all my information to iMedX? Would I then be an employee of iMedX.  Can I be fired (by whom) for not giving them my informaton?  I do not know who they are.  I thought since TT merged that I was still employed by TT.  Can I get unemployment if I refuse to give my information to iMedX? ...

MDI/TRANSCEND CONTRACT
Nov 21, 2009

Got my contract today!.  No surprises.  Everything straightforward.  Sounds like a good deal to me!! ...

IC's, Did You Draw Up Your Own Contract? Sm
Apr 20, 2010

Can you all tell me if you drew up your own contracts, went to an attorny, etc? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. ...

Contract Abuse?
Jun 26, 2010

Hi,   I have a big dilemma and I need help. I have been working for the same company for 6 years now. At first I worked for a bunch of doctors and a hospital and then quit the other docs and the hospital because one of my doctors said that he did not like to share and that he wanted me to work only for him. I did not know that was illegal to do until recently being that MTs are contractors. So I have been working for this one doctor and all the nurses and interns in the office for about 5 ...

Question About IC Contract
Aug 31, 2011

I have never worked as an IC before, only as an employee. I was offered a position by a company looking for an IC, and they have an IC contract that they send you and want you to sign. Is it common for an IC contract to contain the clause that you must provide 14 days' notice if you are resigning and that if you provide less than 7 days' notice they have the right to withold 50% of the monies owed to you? I can completely understand that they want adequate notice (just like any employe ...

Contract For Doctor
Nov 14, 2011

If you have your own account, is it necessary to have the doctor(s) sign a contract before you start with them?  Thanks ...

Contract Concern
Nov 13, 2012

Can someone please help me. I am new to the company, I have not been here 90 days yet. my TSM is "gone" so I have a new one now and have not yet spoken with her. I am very concerned because I realized that my "contracted" rate of 4 and 9 cpl at 150 lph does NOT meet my state minimum wage, I rarely get straight typing to get the 9 cpl. I also am not meeting the 150 lph yet, even so that is only like 6$ an hour, that is horrible. I should have done my math beforehand. I didn't think they coul ...

RE; OTI Contract. Does It Sound To Anyone Else
Sep 06, 2014

like they are making this contract so miserable that NOBODY will go with them? 0.65 cents per VBC line?  What a bunch of crap!!!!! ...

Question About 2 Clauses In IC Contract
Mar 09, 2010

I'm new with only a few months of MT experience under my belt.  Was offered a job with a company in Canada which I've heard nothing about.  However, their contract has 2 clauses I'm concerned about and would like your opinion on: 1. They will only pay for reports that meet their "accuracy and completeness requirements", and they wouldn't give me those requirements until I signed the contract. 2. Failure to meet a deadline for any reason means they will " ...