A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Loss of benefits - Lee

Posted: Jan 13, 2010

Okay, I may be dense, the rest of you may have figured this out long ago!  Many times I see comments here about people who cannot get enough work.  Well, at my company, if there is a low volume of work and you cannot meet your line count you are placed on part-time status and cannot regain full-time status until you have met your commitment for 90 days.  Yes, you lose your benefits....your health insurance, paid holidays, dental/vision, etc.  Well, heck, look at the money they save from not providing benefits to those people!  Duh!  I can be so stupid sometimes:)

Handled differently at my company. - Fingers

[ In Reply To ..]
We rarely run so low on work that we cannot meet the minimum line count. I think I have maybe once in the last year. Right now it is low due to snow at the client location. We put on our time sheet that there was not enough work that day to meet the line count. Management looks at your history and the work history to verify this.

No, we are not stripped of our benefits, PTO, etc. However, if your account runs low consistently they may consider giving you a secondary account to keep your production up. It is totally unfair to penalize you if the work is not actually available. Not only does it have a negative impact on your income, but in my opinion that is a waste of a good MT!

Wow! That sounds really draconian. How often does it - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
tend happen to people who have a proven record of working their full 8 hours and only missing when work is genuinely not available?

My company might do this sort of thing with people who're collecting full-time benefits while using work dips as an excuse to actually work part time, but not to full-time workers for whom work really isn't available within a reasonable flex of work schedule. Those are given additional accounts.

Not only draconian, but it doesnt sound LEGAL. - Sounds like lawyer-time, to me! nm

[ In Reply To ..]

No work - Lee

[ In Reply To ..]
It happens to many employees with this company quite often throughout the year. Personally, I work on 4-5 accounts on a continuing basis. Around the holidays and spring break there is no enough work to meet a minimum line count. Poof...benefits gone, part-time status. I wonder if it is even legal to enforce such a policy but at meager wages, who can afford to hire an attorney to defend yourself? Two of my accounts are extremely difficult, 2 of them are with clients who specifically requested I do their transcription. If my supervisor needs coverage on a weekend...I'm there. I love what I do and am passionate about it but I'm starting to loss faith.

The only way we lose our benefits if if we do - lt

[ In Reply To ..]
not meet production over 3 pay periods in a row. If we do not meet production because of low work, we are not penalized AS LONG AS we note on our timesheet that that is the reason why. They then review our production for the last 3 payperiods and if they see we are meeting production with no problems, then nothing is done. We still maintain FT status.

That sounds reasonable, as far as heading off PT goes - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
although I'm one of those who'd have to be more careful than I am currently in documenting my record.

Not the case here - Lee

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree, that does sound reasonable. However, it's not that way here. If there's not enough work, which to me is in no way the employee's fault, you become part-time and lose your benefits.

Loss of benefits - I must work for same co - Rae

[ In Reply To ..]
Same here. No work, have 2-3 accts. Cannot hit stated production. Loss of ins, paid vacation, etc. Must be same co. I work for.

This seems totally unfair/unethical to me. - Fingers

[ In Reply To ..]
I can understand this practice if you have slackers, and believe me there are many, but what you guys describe simply is not right.

The next time you are faced with this situation, why not talk to your supervisor and actually request more work. If you are told there is none, then I would take that opportunity to discuss your FT status, benefits, PTO, etc. and explain that they are not providing you with FT employment. I would go to higher management, respectfully of course, and state that there needs to be some sort of compromise because you certainly are available to transcribe if the work was there. I would also question the legality of this.

LEE and RAE - I have to ask you this. - Fingers

[ In Reply To ..]
Exactly how does one temporarily lose their benefits? What do they do, take you off the medical/dental insurance and then put you back on again? How often does this take place. Do you qualify for PTO and then you don't, and then you do? What if you have a medical or dental appointment? When is your coverage reinstated? Also, what about a 40lK? You're in, then you're out, in, out....??? I do not think employers should be able to play with peoples' lives like this!! Especially if they are the ones not providing you with the work. It sounds like a ploy to force the employees to have their own benefits even if they are part time. Has this actually happened to you? If it were me, I would have to say it needs to be addressed further with management.
Mistake in my post - Fingers
[ In Reply To ..]
I meant to say it sounds like a ploy to force you to purchase your own benefits even if you are FULL TIME.
I have the same questions you do. How - does that work? sm/
[ In Reply To ..]
Is this Transcend you are talking about? You have to make a certain amount of $$ in the pay period or you lose all your benefits. You also have to record your hours worked but I guess if you work over 40 hours a week, you wouldn't get overtime because you are not paid by the hour, right? If it takes you over 40 hours a week to make the amount of $$ required to not lose your benefits, why do you have to record your hours worked? I don't get this at all. I can't understand how they can do this if they don't provide enough work for you. How is this legal? Does anyone understand all of this?
1200 lpd - Lee
[ In Reply To ..]
In our company if you fail to meet your 12000 lines per pay period for 2 consecutive pay periods you are placed on part-time status. You will no longer be paid for holidays, you will not have insurance and this will continue until you complete another 90 days of meeting that 12000 line commitment per pay period. This applies whether there is not enough work to do or whether you are simply lazy and do not complete your line counts. No, I am not talking about Transcend.
To LEE - Fingers
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for your e mail. We have the same rules that you describe at my company; however, we do not have to work 8 hours, just the 1200 lines per day. I usually get in around 2000. There is an exception to the rule. If there is NO WORK available to you, you indicate that on your time sheet and it is verified by management. They also look at your work history. If you are a "good MT" as you say, on 6 different accounts, with 25 years of experience - honey you are definitely getting a raw deal. People simply cannot live that way. I don't know who you work for but I can tell you they are wasting good MTs and it sounds like their only goal is to save a lot of money. I am not a job hopper myself but I have been forced to change companies a time or two due to losing clients and offshoring, so if I worked my butt off for a company and they did this to me, I would definitely start looking.

I do not name my company, EVER, but if I were you I would look for a smaller U.S. ONLY company with no offshoring who has plenty of work. They cannot afford to over-hire and they demand good MTs and treat you with more respect because they need you. They also tend to leave you on the same couple of accounts, which to me is a no-brainer as far as the quality of work and increased production. Since you already have a job, I would take my time in looking for something that is perfect. I know it is hard right now and it may take some time but what kind of future do you have with this company. You're right, you simply should not have to live like that!!

Similar Messages:

Not To Count My Loss
Nov 05, 2009

why at the end of every shift do I still bother to calculate my line totals - transcription & VR - when 9 out of 10 times I am only discouraged???  Its not my lack of skill, knowledge , speed or anything I have done that determines this loss.  Why, oh why, do I hang in there.  Maybe for the occasional good day?  The high I get when I can fly through a report of an ESL doctor, because I know better what he is trying to say?  Or maybe its the constant editing with ...

EMR And Loss Of Contracts
Nov 03, 2010

Does anyone here integrate their transcription into an EMR?   If so, what EMR company is being used?  Looking for a way to keep a company from going down the EMR tubes! Help! thanks... ...

Fat Loss In Hands
May 18, 2013

Hello, this may be an unusual question, but I have been transcribing for about 3 months now, after completing 12 months at Career Step. I've been noticing over the last week that my hands are looking almost like skeleton hands. It's like the fat is disappearing and the bones are becoming more prominent. Also, the veins in my hands are becoming very, very vascular. They are about the diameter of a drinking straw. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this common with excessive typing? I ...

Headsets For MTs W/hearing Loss
Oct 14, 2009

Just wanted to share something with you. I have used it since August and amso pleased. I am very impressed with the quality of the headset I purchased from http://www.startsto p.com/transcript ion_accessories. asp#30585  (this is the site for the headset)This headset is wonderful for folks who have a problem hearing andunderstanding the spoken word. They tested this headset in real doctors' offices with real MTs who had nothing to do withtheir company.I cannot tell you how impressed I ...

Profit And Loss Statement
Jun 13, 2010

i am an at home transcriptionist and have been for 23 years.  I am trying to do a home loan modification and I need a profit and loss statement.  Does anyone have a sample report pertaining specifically to being an at-home independent contractor?  My tax man says he doesn't know how to do one, although he does the Schedule C for me on my taxes.  Any suggestions/samples?   Thank you! ...

Dispatcia??? Weight Loss
Aug 16, 2010

Please help....sounds like 'dispatcia' weight loss.  Clinical date for an US Abdominal Complete.  Thank You! ...

Concumbant Weight Loss??
Aug 30, 2010

He did have an incombutant/concubant/intontubant/?? 5 to 10 pund weight loss over the past 1 to 2 weeks. ...

S/l Parathagital Volume Loss On MRI
Nov 18, 2010

Thanks for any help! ...

Warning Of Benefit Loss
Jan 05, 2011

I have only been getting approximately 25 hours a week.  Yeah, I'm broke.  Luckily I have a husband who works or I would be in a mess.  Anyway, they have emailed me and said I have to have minimum 30 hours to continue to have medical ins.  Well, if the work isn't there, what am I supposed to do?  So, I asked my team lead to please give me a backup acct.  So she has sent out requests to other team leads and said she would let me know if one replie ...

Felitional Weight Loss?
Feb 24, 2011

The patient had a (Sounds like "felitoinal" ) 42 pound weight loss.    TIA! ...

2-pound Weight Loss Or .....
Oct 01, 2011

He has had a 2-pound weight loss. 2-pound, two-pound, two pound.... or something else?   Thanks!   ...

VOICE RECOGNITION AND LOSS OF JOB
Jul 30, 2014

Just wondering about this.  For one company that I work for, I had a secondary account -- a hospital, that we were told (e-mailed) we would no longer be typing/editing.  The voice recognition program was getting better all the time and probably was pretty good at this point.  We were just told that we would no longer by doing work for them.  So 2 possibilities: 1)  The hospital was not happy with our editing?   2)  The voice recognition program had gotten so g ...

Great Loss For Softscript
Jun 06, 2015

Just recently discovered Softscript lost an amazing production manager.  I have worked under a lot of production managers and by far this was one of the best; knowledgeable, helpful, understanding, easy to work with, but at the same time was straight forward and honest in their approach with the group.  Such a shame.  You will be missed greatly.  Wish you the best.    ...

Hearing Loss/rheumatoid Arthritis
Oct 28, 2009

Anyone out there have any hearing loss? I have developed significant hearing loss. My ENT has encouraged me to keep transcribing, with the use of a boosted headset and I am trying. Telephone use is very difficult and almost non-existent. Boosters do not help. Also diagnosed recently with RA and having difficulty with my fingers, but not letting it get me down. I am on treatment that is working well. Just wondered if anyone else is having any of these issues and how they are dealing with them. Th ...

No Burn, Scar, Or Depression Loss ??
Nov 25, 2009

nm ...

Patient Has Significant Blood Loss.
Mar 11, 2010

He is being given 6 units of FFP and 5 units of ________ (s/l vitamin k????). ...

Do You Think MQ Would Pay Work Comp For Hearing Loss
Feb 12, 2011

yeah, ow.  Ears ringing all day. ...

Any Articles About Productivity Loss From EMR And VR Usage
May 24, 2011

Does anyone have any links to articles that explain the loss in productivity for physicians and their offices because they are wasting time with EHR/EMR's typing their own notes or spending way too much time editing their own voice recognition notes when they could be seeing more patients?  I have lost a few clients to VR systems and EHR/EMR systems because they think they will be more productive, when they actually lose money and time because of the loss in the number of patietns see ...

Hyphen - Mild-to-moderate Hearing Loss
Mar 31, 2010

Is mild-to-moderate hearing loss correct or should it be mild to moderate without the hyphens? ...

Does Nuance Pay A Portion Of A Weight Loss Program?
Oct 19, 2014

x ...

Surgery Report: The *conscrec* Blood Loss Estimated Less Than 40 ML. Nm
Feb 05, 2010

Thanks in advance. ...

Burn - Retained Hemostasis And Was Able To Minimize Blood Loss
Aug 09, 2010

s/l This fashion I retained hemostasis and was able to minimize blood loss after deflation of the tourniquet. my question is would i need a comma after what s/l this fashion? ...

The Loss Of The Flexor Digitorum Profunda S/l *tails* Immediately Noted.
Oct 15, 2011

xx ...

Pt Has Been Taking S/l Bontrel Or Montrel Or Monitrel Therapy For Weight Loss (a Pill).
May 14, 2010

Monitrel ...

See Post. Hearing End Of Word Only ______ Trophic Memory. Pt Has Memory Loss.. See Msg Thanks
Sep 16, 2011

Patient does have some (sounds like difficulties ace/e/trophic or hearing trophic at end  memory and, therefore, history is somewhat limited by the patient. ...

Diffuse Cerebral Edema With Loss Of The Normal S/l "so-ki"
Oct 13, 2009

Any suggestions? ...

At L4-5, There Is S/l (disc-a-zation) Of The Disc Representing Loss Of Water Content.
Mar 07, 2012

TIA :-) ...

S/l "age Commiserate Volume Loss...."
Nov 15, 2010

The MRI showed no evidence of acute infarct, mild to moderate atrophy of optic chiasm, age "commiserate" volume loss with nonspecific periventricular and subcortical white matter..... Does the word "commiserate" correct right there?  Thanks, Abby ...

S/l "tricature" Loss Of The Testicle
Mar 25, 2014

The doc doing an orchiopexy on 6-year-old boy, dictates: "Risks include but are not limited to bleeding, infection, injury to the vas deferens resulting in diminished fertility, injury to the blood vessel supplying the testicle resulting in (s/l tricature or trigature) loss of the testicle, injury to nerves in the area resulting in persistent pain or numbness, pain, scar, and the risks of anesthesia."  Any ideas? ...

"lower Loss" Mattress?
Mar 28, 2014

Patient has decubitus ulcers.  S/L "lower loss" mattress.  Any thoughts? TIA ...