A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Warning of benefit loss - aononymouse

Posted: Jan 05, 2011

I have only been getting approximately 25 hours a week.  Yeah, I'm broke.  Luckily I have a husband who works or I would be in a mess.  Anyway, they have emailed me and said I have to have minimum 30 hours to continue to have medical ins.  Well, if the work isn't there, what am I supposed to do?  So, I asked my team lead to please give me a backup acct.  So she has sent out requests to other team leads and said she would let me know if one replied.  So now I am not only gonna have to keep checking on and off for work all day and night but also on my days I would be off.  I am gonna be sitting here 7 days a week checking this dang computer for work just to squeeze out at least 30 hours.  Otherwise, I'll lose my insurance, and the insurance is an important part of my job to me. 

Does anyone else have this problem? 

Welcome to the new reality of MT. - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
It's what most of us are facing. Just read the boards and you'll see.

Realistically, they should give you a certain # of payperiods before cutting your benefits, especially if there is no work available. However, they don't have to.

Welcome.

Catch-A-22 - should be illegal

[ In Reply To ..]
is this an employee or IC position? what does the Dept of Labor say?

It would have to be employee--IC does not have - benefits. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Yes, had the same problem. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I finally got tired of the threats and working around the clock because the accounts were always slow. I became an IC and now have to pay my own, but it isn't that much more than what I was paying for it as an employee, but now I have a completely flexible schedule and can work as little or as much as I want. I am actually doing much better as an IC. There was no point for me to be an employee if I wasn't going to qualify for medical and I always had to use my vacation time for days when it was slow, so was never going to get an actual vacation anyway.

A couple of thoughts. That company will keep - Anon.

[ In Reply To ..]
you on medical working only 30 hours. Wow. Mine used to do 35 hours, but some time ago changed that to a full 40-hour work week to qualify. Medical's expensive, and that current policy is more generous than most, making that job something to hold onto if you actually prefer working part time. As long as that policy lasts, any way.

Second, it does sound as if they're overstaffed and maybe as if they've gone over their lists of people and decided you're one of the extras. Employees are expensive to maintain (with and without insurance), so tightening up is just what they should do. It's not telling us we're on a cut list that causes such extra grief.

In your place, if I wanted to stay I'd get really good, dedicating myself to slicing work away from others at 3 in the morning and getting in more than the required hours. For as long as it took to change their attitude. If not, I'd do much the same to make some money but also start looking for another job.

BTW, I've been there before too. Long ago I was hired specifically to work part time, coming on mornings (but actually whenever it suited me) to put in about 24-30 hours of good high-quality work, and was not told when I became considered extra. Since I wasn't paid insurance, I wasn't pushed out, but just became end of line in consideration, something it took me literally months to finally understand. No way to treat a good (if hard-to-schedule work around!) employee, but there it is.

That is really sad. Where I work if there is not - jk

[ In Reply To ..]
enough work for us to maintain FT status, (average of 1200 lines a day) we are not penalized because of that. Thank goodness in the 3 years I have been here that has not happened.

My solution - Get your own

[ In Reply To ..]
What I found was most often the policies provided by the companies were not the best and I still was paying at least a couple of hundred dollars out of pocket anyway. I got my own insurance (I'm an IC). I had to go through Health Care Reform rules to get mine as I have pre-existing conditions, but the cost to me is $286.00. I know it's hard when you aren't earning as much to do that, but if you do, you are freed from that horrid panic in the gut that you will lose it.

Have been on Cobra, but that is almost up - what to do?

[ In Reply To ..]
Called the medical insurance company and I have to apply for individual medical insurance, but will probably be denied because of pre-existing conditions. I am curious as to how you were able to get it through the healthcare reform act when I thought that was still being debated on?? Thanks for any advice you can give me!!

Similar Messages:

Well-got My Verbal Warning, Next Stop Written Warning !!!
Apr 01, 2010

I guess I'm possibly 2 weeks away from termination if I don't pass the next 2 audits.  Trying to look at it as a blessing in disguise :)  Never failed an audit in the over 10 years that I've worked for Medquist, or maybe I was never audited who knows.  ...

Do You Think There Is Any Benefit To
Sep 04, 2012

studying for a "Certificate in Electronic Medical Records?" I'm not sure coding is for me; it sounds like accounting, not my strong suit. Am having to switch gears from MT to something else soon. Thanks. ...

Not To Count My Loss
Nov 05, 2009

why at the end of every shift do I still bother to calculate my line totals - transcription & VR - when 9 out of 10 times I am only discouraged???  Its not my lack of skill, knowledge , speed or anything I have done that determines this loss.  Why, oh why, do I hang in there.  Maybe for the occasional good day?  The high I get when I can fly through a report of an ESL doctor, because I know better what he is trying to say?  Or maybe its the constant editing with ...

Loss Of Benefits
Jan 13, 2010

Okay, I may be dense, the rest of you may have figured this out long ago!  Many times I see comments here about people who cannot get enough work.  Well, at my company, if there is a low volume of work and you cannot meet your line count you are placed on part-time status and cannot regain full-time status until you have met your commitment for 90 days.  Yes, you lose your benefits....your health insurance, paid holidays, dental/vision, etc.  Well, heck, look at the money the ...

Benefit Rate
Jul 13, 2010

I thought I was prepared for the benefit rate letter.   As far as I could tell, my pay had been at least the same and once in a while actually a few dollars higher.  So, how can my benefit rate go DOWN $1 PER HOUR???????????  I was prepared that it would not be higher, but I think this is just plain wrong.  Like the other poster said - wouldn't I have noticed if I was making $80-88 per paycheck LESS (80-88 hours full time average at minus $1 per hour)??  What a bunch of hooey.  ...

EMR And Loss Of Contracts
Nov 03, 2010

Does anyone here integrate their transcription into an EMR?   If so, what EMR company is being used?  Looking for a way to keep a company from going down the EMR tubes! Help! thanks... ...

New Benefit Rate
Feb 15, 2012

Are you kidding me?  Now I am down to $10 an hour for my benefit rate.  I pulled out all my old rates and it shows a steady decline.  Seriously, it CAN'T be all me.  I have dropped from $17.25 to $16.16 to 14.39 to 13.58 to 12.56 to 10.60 to now 10.00.  Is everyone else going through the same?  I type the same as I always have for years and years and years, the only change is this ASR which apparently is the death of me. ...

Benefit Rates
Jan 29, 2013

Has anyone received a letter about calculating your new benefit rate? I have had the same rate since probably last spring. I don't think they are calculating them every six months even though they say they do. I went on vacay in June and I am making the same benefit rate now that I was then. That was 8 months ago.  I know for a fact that my benefit rate is now higher than it was then,maybe that is why. It is cheaper for them to keep it lower. ...

Got New Benefit Ltr Today :(
Feb 06, 2013

all stats way up...benefit rate way down. Going to have to do some digging and calling to see how they justified this current pay cut. But on the bright side, it makes me more determined than ever to get out of this mess. ...

Fat Loss In Hands
May 18, 2013

Hello, this may be an unusual question, but I have been transcribing for about 3 months now, after completing 12 months at Career Step. I've been noticing over the last week that my hands are looking almost like skeleton hands. It's like the fat is disappearing and the bones are becoming more prominent. Also, the veins in my hands are becoming very, very vascular. They are about the diameter of a drinking straw. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this common with excessive typing? I ...

Here's An Interesting Benefit.
Mar 26, 2014

On the job board.  Sorry, but for some reason this cracks me up, especially since the company apparently doesn't offer any other traditional benefits like medical/dental etc. Is a swivel chair a hybrid vehicle, I wonder?   ...

New Benefit Elections ??
Nov 11, 2014

Did anyone get an email with the new benefit elections, cost and so forth? I never got anything.  Did I miss something?   Thx!!   ...

Headsets For MTs W/hearing Loss
Oct 14, 2009

Just wanted to share something with you. I have used it since August and amso pleased. I am very impressed with the quality of the headset I purchased from http://www.startsto p.com/transcript ion_accessories. asp#30585  (this is the site for the headset)This headset is wonderful for folks who have a problem hearing andunderstanding the spoken word. They tested this headset in real doctors' offices with real MTs who had nothing to do withtheir company.I cannot tell you how impressed I ...

Repository For Overseas Benefit?
Dec 12, 2009

I was talking with some of my fellow MQians and the repository came up.  Some people think that the repository was made so that the Indian workers can better understand their jobs.  Now that I think of it I believe that is it so.  What do you guys think? ...

Benefit Rate Dropping Again
Jan 12, 2010

For those of us that are still hanging on by a thread, did your benefit rate fall?  I just got my letter...lost another $1.  I know that doesn't seem much but over the last few changes I have lost $5...just keeps going down.  I guess I shouldn't care...I have had to use all of my PTO to make up time.  I am probably going to be performance managed (or fired, not sure) because my CCM said we could clock in and out all day to keep from putting in NJA tickets (so we wou ...

Profit And Loss Statement
Jun 13, 2010

i am an at home transcriptionist and have been for 23 years.  I am trying to do a home loan modification and I need a profit and loss statement.  Does anyone have a sample report pertaining specifically to being an at-home independent contractor?  My tax man says he doesn't know how to do one, although he does the Schedule C for me on my taxes.  Any suggestions/samples?   Thank you! ...

Dispatcia??? Weight Loss
Aug 16, 2010

Please help....sounds like 'dispatcia' weight loss.  Clinical date for an US Abdominal Complete.  Thank You! ...

Concumbant Weight Loss??
Aug 30, 2010

He did have an incombutant/concubant/intontubant/?? 5 to 10 pund weight loss over the past 1 to 2 weeks. ...

S/l Parathagital Volume Loss On MRI
Nov 18, 2010

Thanks for any help! ...

Nuance's New Benefit Plans...
Jan 12, 2011

As you all may know, Nuance (formerly known as Focus) has acquired Encompass and OSI companies.  So, we get this email today stating a company who formerly handled OSI's HR dept, payroll, benefits, etc. is going to now be handling ours (Nuance).  Well as a result, we are going with a different ins company for health benefits.  We previously had Blue Cross Blue Shield.  I was paying approx. $450 a month for family coverage, and it was a good plan.  Now, they are ...

Felitional Weight Loss?
Feb 24, 2011

The patient had a (Sounds like "felitoinal" ) 42 pound weight loss.    TIA! ...

DSG-insurance Benefit Question
Feb 27, 2011

Can anyone tell me if DSG offers family medical insurance coverage and what the costs are? I am thinking about applying but insurance is very important to our family but I am not paying $1000 a month like some companies charge.  That is like just working for insurance. Thanks. ...

Medical Benefit Change
May 09, 2011

open enrollment is bringing a new medical insurance at 3 times the cost.  What is going on?  Isn't the pay low enough...now all to be eaten up with healthcare costs?  ...

2-pound Weight Loss Or .....
Oct 01, 2011

He has had a 2-pound weight loss. 2-pound, two-pound, two pound.... or something else?   Thanks!   ...

Benefit Rate Letter
Jul 20, 2012

How'd you do? (please no actual figures, just was it up or down). ...

Anyone Know When A New Benefit Rate Calculated?
Jan 12, 2013

Anyone know when a new benefit rate calculated? I have been earning this same crappy rate for at least 6 months even though I make double and almost triple the supposed "average lines per hour." I think I am getting ripped ...

What Exactly Is The Benefit Rate Tied To?
Jan 14, 2013

What exactly is the benefit rate tied to?  As in is that how they figure your pto or holiday rate?  Is the benefit rate figured by our lines per hour rate?  ...

Did You Benefit Rate Go Up, Down Or Stay The Same?
Jul 26, 2013

nm ...

Benefit Rates...just A Thought
Jul 29, 2013

Four emails, one meant for a completely different MT than myself. Does it seem to any of you that Ms B.P. is demonstrating 99.6% accuracy? She should be FIRED, just as we would be for such egregious errors. ...

Anybody Not Get A Benefit Rate Letter Yet?
Jul 29, 2013

I haven't gotten one yet.  Hope that doesn't mean something bad! ...