A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Advice for those w/ companies asking you to hop on to make up lines - Report them

Posted: Oct 28, 2011

... Because you've already put in your 40 hours.  It is illegal to change your timesheets so they don't have to pay overtime.  If they can't give you sufficient work and keep hiring people who take your work away from you, find a company that will give you enough work.  Save the emails and send them to the department of labor.

But often, the case is the MT is too slow to get their - lines in 40 hours

[ In Reply To ..]
That is my main problem in MTing. I care about quality and seldom get my lines in. I haven't been fired as yet, but if given the chance to make up some lines, I do it. What you are saying is unrealistic, and I know you fancy yourself a great civil rights activist, but it is misplaced. They have us over a barrel, and you are just going to get more work sent to India.

You are a participant in illegal activity. If the work is going to go OS, - it is going OS. Fake OT wont stop that. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Sorry, I have bills to pay. - UCANGOTOUNOWHERE

[ In Reply To ..]
Your grandiose ideation is not realistic, and I will do what I d*amn well please. It is my business, not yours. You don't listen to reason, anyway.
How can you let yourself be treated this way, be taken advantage - of stolen from? There are other companies. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I guess you have been living on another planet. - We have a bad economy
[ In Reply To ..]
I doubt I would be able to get another job at my age, and I like the people I work for. They are not cheating me at all (no reason for OT if we are mostly caught up), but they are helping me to stay caught with my production, and I appreciate that.
I live in bad economy too, but there are just somethings one shouldnt - do on a moral basis. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
It is not immoral to take care of yourself. - I like my job
[ In Reply To ..]
I doubt you are really concerned about morality, anyway. Most that pull that card have just been backed into a corner and are grasping at straws.

My granddad made his fortune during Prohibition with his still. We have to recognize opportunities for what they are. While you are out there morally starving to death, I won't be.
What? So you would murder, if needed, to support yourself? - Murder, theft, both immoral, not okay. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Who is talking about murder or theft? - tangentialthinkingisasignofmadness
[ In Reply To ..]
LOL. You need to stick with the subject matter. It is not so serious as you suppose. Besides, I don't care what you think at all.
Theft is what this thread is about. Duh. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I think you just like being self-righteous - lording it over others
[ In Reply To ..]
If my boss determines there is enough work for me to "hop on," then why not? I know it will not be paid overtime, but I don't care about that.
Doesnt matter if you care about that. It is illegle! Against the - DOL laws. Theft is against the laws of God. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I don't believe in your god. - I have my own way of seeing things
[ In Reply To ..]
This is not a religious issue, just a practical one. I like my way of seeing things better than your angry god.
Moral bancrupcy is why the world is in such a sad state. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
LOL. Grasping at straws, are we? - ubfunny
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Not at all. Why do you think the world is in the horrible shape - it is in? nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Not in a corner here. The world is my oyster and all its - opportunities are my opportunities. I just SM
[ In Reply To ..]
have to go out and get the one I want. Btw, I am over 50, if that matters.
I have the one I want. - Ib57
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Bad economy doesnt mean you should debase yourself, lower - your moral compass. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
It is not debasing yourself to have a good job. - And to want to make it work
[ In Reply To ..]
See above.
Not sure if you are following this thread. Not talking making good - job work, talking stealing from the MT SM
[ In Reply To ..]
No job that steals from you is a good job. Whether it be stealing time, as in expecting employee to log in over 40 hours to make your line count but not being paid OT for those over 40 hours. Or whether it is job where MTSO is skimming lines off the top. Stealing is stealing and it is not okay, ever.

I go for quality, but I'm not slow. My co's software, - however, is ridiculously slow. s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
It takes forever to open a new window or a new job. The carbon copy section frequently takes up to 10 seconds for each letter you type to appear in the window. The whole system freezes frequently, and also gums up Explorer, which crashes about 5 times a day. And then, of course, there are all those nitpicky account specifics to pore over for each hospital. I get so few opportunities to even type a few lines fast, that I feel my overall typing speed has decreased due to lack of practice. My company's transcription platform reduces even the best typists to hunt-and-peck through sheer sluggishness.

Hop on - sounds very familiar. :)) - BTDT

[ In Reply To ..]
::

How it works - Just Another MT

[ In Reply To ..]
From the experience I have had is this is how they do it. You are only to log the hours you are physically typing/editing. When there is no work you are not to log your time. Even if you are schedule i.e. 9-5 Mon-Fri, which equals 40 hours, technically if there was no work you did not work your 40 hours. I called DOL and apparently this is how they are legally doing this. It is all because we are paid by the line not paid by the hour.

NJA and Department of Labor rules - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
Does the DOL understand that you are required to work your schedule even if there is NO work, even if you are paid by the line? I thought it was illegal for them to not pay you at least minimum wage when you are required to be "engaged to wait."

How it works - anonytoo

[ In Reply To ..]
Ok, then if that is accepted, everyone should be able to type whenever they want. They shouldn't be able to insist in a schedule if there is no work during the schedule. Of course, they wouldn't want that chaos either.

Similar Messages:

Is Anybody Able To Make FT Hours/lines With AP Lately? Nm
Jan 08, 2015

x ...

Struggle To Make Any Lines
Mar 26, 2015

It is a struggle to make any lines and I bet I am not the only one.  The higher ups simply do not care.  ...

To Those That Make Great Lines On Escription
Jan 06, 2010

What are your computer specs? DH brought up a good question tonight. I have recently moved from my old faithful with 80 MB hard drive with 512 memory to 380 GB hard drive with 3 MB memory. i have had nothing but problems with Escription and not making my lines. I can't just use the shortcut keys and I can't use my expander. DH stated maybe I don't have what I need in the computer to make things work correctly (this coming from someone who never touched one in his life!).&nbs ...

Does It Seem Like It Is A Lot Harder To Make Decent Lines?
Sep 27, 2010

Here lately it seems like I am doing more work, and getting less lines. Anyone else having the same problem? ...

Impossible To Make Decent Lines.
Feb 18, 2011

I have been put on 3 new accounts this week and I have been having a hell of a time making any lines at all this week. Now, I hardly get any work from my old account. Any suggestions on what I can do to improve my line count? ...

Have Seen Ppl Post They Work 14 Hrs A Day To Make 8 Hrs Lines. How Do They Get Around Webclock?
Feb 13, 2014

nm ...

Companies That Do Not Care How Many Lines A Day
Jun 27, 2012

Does anyone know of any companies that still do straight typing and does not require a certain line count per day?  I would love to find a job typing OP Reports and that company does not care how many lines a day or how many hours a week I would work.   I know I am dreaming and may be just may be there are still a few left in this MT World. ...

To Those Whose Companies Have Started Using Weighted Lines -sm
Aug 03, 2010

For those whose company has started to use weighted lines for normals, headers, etc., has this made a big difference in your pay or are you able to do more reports in the same amount of time?  ...

How Many Lines Do Most Companies Consider Full-time?
Mar 23, 2011

Just curious.....Thanks!! ...

Required Lines Per Hour VR From Companies
Mar 25, 2014

I need some information on what companies require for LPH for VR.  The place I work for requires an insane amount.  I more than likely am going to get raked over the coals this week for not meeting my quota (it is over 500 lines an hour).  Any information would be helpful to present to HR.  ...

Are There Any Companies Where You Can Make
Jan 02, 2015

. ...

So Most Companies Make You Test, Even If
Oct 24, 2014

If so, does the version of Windows you have matter?  I have Windows 8.1 on my laptop now.  I know I am going to have to buy another computer IF I get another job as most require Windows 7 or 8.  But I'd like to wait and see if I can get a job before buying another computer, as who knows if I will actually find one.  I am hoping I can at least test on the laptop I currently have, which has 8.1.  Thanks!  ...

Are There Any Companies Who Don't Make Their QAs Transcribe All The Time?
Dec 07, 2009

I became a QA years ago because of carpal tunnel, and the last couple of companies I've worked for have hired me to QA but never had enough QA work, and I've ended up transcribing most of the time.  My hands simply cannot take it, so any leads would be greatly appreciated!  Please feel free to email me! ...

Does Anyone Else Have To Work Harder And Harder Just To Make Lines?
Nov 07, 2009

Six months ago with the Q, I could easily have my 800 or so in 5-6 hours and generally typed over 1,000 a day.  Now, I'm finding I'm struggling to make my 800 at the end of shift, even though I'm doing all the same things, typing even faster, etc.  Is anyone else having this issue?  I have a huge WE dictionary and all the other little tips and tricks and it's never been an issue before.  Thanks in advance!   ...

"Hop On" To Make Up Lines If OT Is Not Allowed?
Oct 26, 2011

I'm sick of the games these cheapskate companies play. ...

Escription - 250 Line Count Minimum - Median Lines Or Average Lines?
Dec 20, 2014

Does anybody know which column companies look at to decide if you are meeting the minimum 250 requirement in Escription? When I look at the metrics there are 2 columns...median lines per hour and average lines per hour. ...

Is It True That FOCUS, Only Counts Half Of Your Lines When Calculating VR Lines?
Jan 30, 2012

if you make 4 cents per line at 1000 lines a day, they really calculate it at 500 lines per day x 4 cents, making it really 2 cents per line for the full 1000.   I heard this, and I am really interested in knowing if it is true. ...

Told Nuance Was Overcharging For Lines, Now Lines Drastically Reduced
May 02, 2012

My main account was a good one, and the lines were very good, mostly ER work. I have been on this account for over a year and a half now. We recently received an e-mail stating that Nuance had discovered that the line count was charging incorrectly, as instituted by them, and they had been crediting us with MORE lines than we were actually doing and overcharging the client. Now get this, they informed us that they would not make US pay it back, for their mistake, but that our new lines would re ...

TransTech Lines - Required Hours But Are Short Lines?
Jun 10, 2011

What do you do when you have the required hours but are short lines? I got an email that I need to "make plans to have my shortage made up." The only problem is that I'm up to date with my hours for the pay period so far. The other problem is that I have plans Saturday night and Sunday (both being my scheduled time off) that don't include TransTech. It's getting harder and harder to defend this company when they can't hold up their end of the agreement and continually ...

TransTech Lines - How Many Lines Do You Average During The Day/week?
Jan 19, 2011

Just wondering if the TT MTs would like share ... how many lines do you average during the day/week?  I'm doing about 9,000 to 10,000 a week and wonder if I should be pushing myself more.  How much of your count is VR?  I do probably 15% traditional and 85% VR but that, of course, varies week to week.   ...

Custom Lines Versus Standard Lines
Jan 08, 2013

Which do you use - custom lines - 65 character lines with spaces or standard lines - seems like so much more for standard lines????   Cathy ...

Are MS Word Lines The Same As Medquist Lines?
Jan 18, 2011

I am having a discrepancy issue with lines....wondered if MS Word and Medquist use a different number of characters per line.  Thanks.... ...

TransTech Lines - How Many Lines Do You Average Per Day
Jul 13, 2011

How many lines do you average per day - VR and traditional?  I know it's been VERY slow lately, but when things are going well, how many lines do you normally get? I'm trying to figure out where the average numbers are.  For me, I do about 350 trad and about 1400 VR in 8 hours. Well, my timesheet says 8 hours, but my clock says that number MAY(!) be a little higher.  Again, these are numbers I pull when things are going well and I'm not waiting for work to download. I'v ...

Worried About Being Able To Even Make What I Used To Make Doing
Apr 11, 2011

I seem to be spending an awful lot of time in VR documents, so I am confused as to why I am getting paid less for them.  This stupid VR system types whatever it thinks it might be hearing and sometimes doesn't type anything at all.  I hate this VR.  I am up to 1800 lines but usually do 2200-2500 a day on straight transcription.  I don't know how I am going to feed my children.  I am a single mom and the head of household.  Believe me the child support isn& ...

Always See The Companies To Stay Away From, How About Companies To Go To?
Oct 23, 2012

I see many warnings about bogus companies but I need help to steer me to a good company or at least a company that is fair, hiring and gives a fair entrance test.  any ideas?   ...

About How Many Lines?
Dec 10, 2010

Can anybody that types radiology tell me how on average about how many lines they do an hour or a day?  I am being switched to by the line and have always been paid by the report.  Thanks.  ...

TT Lines?
Feb 11, 2011

Does anyone else struggle to get 2000 lines a day with TransTech?  I've been at TT for about 4-1/2 years, but I'm having a hard time getting over 2000 lines a day.  If you get more than 2000 a day in your 8 hours, can you share your tips?   ...

VBC Lines
Mar 19, 2011

Seems like with the industry pretty much switching to VBC lines, we should get a higher line rate.  Like that is going to happen.  Thoughts? ...

150 Lines Per Hr Or ASR 350?
Sep 09, 2011

so I get my offer from MedQuist today after they acquired AllType.  In order to qualify for benefits, I have to type 150 lines per hr or do voice recognition editing at 350 per hr.  I don't know if I can do this.  On a good account, no problem.  But ASR on accounts I have been doing are ridiculous, so many random errors, no way you can skim through them.  Any body out there that consistently gets these line counts every week without working more than 39 hrs per week ...

Why Does QA Take Lines Away From You If...
Jan 08, 2012

you send in a report with a blank?  or even if they think you made an error like with comma placement?  They end up taking three lines away if you leave a blank for a doctor's name that you could not understand or verify!  do all places do this, or just some?  I don't think it is ethical, myself.  but just asking.  ...