A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How do handle when a doctor makes up a word? - SM

Posted: Sep 16, 2014

I have a psych doc who always says "the patient was less complaintive today."  I've changed it o "the patient complained less today."  But the doc sends the report back for correction and wants the word "complaintive" which is NOT a word!  I've been giving it to him, but man it drives me crazy.

I have an ortho doc who ALWAYS says "all were in agreeance" and I change it to agreement and so far so good, but he is still dictating agreeance. 

made up word - MTME

[ In Reply To ..]
I do an ortho peds doc who always spells out hindfoot as one word and it isn't, it is two. I have even made a note of it to correct her and she still insists on spelling it that way. I type what she wants! Again, they are the smart ones, not us (according to the MTSO companies), so I just comply. This is not worth even thinking about! Who cares! I certainly don't and if I am in a quandary, then I just QA it and let it fall on them. Not my problem!

not so made-up? - shadow

[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/complaintive
-- didn't find agreeance.

fwiw, I leave madeup words if they are "reasonable" and the meaning is clear rather than ungrammatical or possibly misspoken (I'd say agreeance is the latter)

hindfoot - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Just curious, why do you think hindfoot is not one word? The foot is divided into three parts: forefoot, midfoot, and hindfoot. I personally have never seen hind foot as two words and have been doing ortho for 30-some years.

If you have 4 feet, you then have 2 hind feet? - Agree that it is hindfoot.

[ In Reply To ..]
Hindfoot, definitely.

Hindfoot - Ooops

[ In Reply To ..]
You're right, perhaps it wasn't hindfoot but something else. Whatever the word is that she wants as one word is definitely not one. I will have to double check that the next time I do her, but I know I have checked this word out before and it was two words. Now you got me thinking! LOL.

I give him his made-up word. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
There is no harm in it and it's his dictation not mine.

It is not my, or your, job to decide what "should" or "should not" be in a report. It is our job to type what they dictate. Done.

every company handles stuff like this differently. - Ask your QA. NM

[ In Reply To ..]

handles it differently - Follow up

[ In Reply To ..]
I do clinic notes and we got an e-mail stating the docs were going crazy with follow up, follow-up and followup. But then, who doesn't? The docs said to just type follow-up all the time and it is wonderful. Again, a rose by any other name would smell as sweet. It is so nice not to be working with these Book of Style idiots! (wish I could put in what I would like to, but will settle for idiots)!

First time, blank it gets a blank. Second time, - I ask supervisor. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I want all protocol in writing in case of erroneous QA grading.

Oops, that should be "first time, it gets a blank..." - Critical error for me. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
:)

Similar Messages:

Anybody Handle Phones In A Doctor's Office?
Jul 29, 2012

So I just got a temp job in a fancy upscale surgical hospital. First in-house job in 8 years, and I really need to convert this job into a permanent deal, but my first attempts on the phone last week I sort of bombed. Is anybody able to offer some pointers on phone tact? I know I will make mistakes, it would be great if I could recover from them gracefully. >_<*  If someone was willing to mentor me and get me through this next week I would send you a box of cookies or brownies or wha ...

What Do You Do When A Doctor Makes No Sense?
Jun 11, 2015

Leave one huge blank, or leave it exactly as he dictated? I have no idea where the doctor is going with this sentence. ...

Would You Take Out The Word 'both'.. I Do Not Think It Makes Sense
Nov 23, 2009

He also has significant problems with both anxiety and some difficulty with obsessive compulsive traits. ...

Not Sure If This Is A Word Or A Slang Word A Doctor Is Using
Dec 15, 2009

I am doing a diction of and Gasto Operative report on a patient who is having a End colostmy and Hartmann pouch resection! The doctor keeps dictating the work "parin"  Example:   Take down colostomy with segmental sigmoid resection and low pelvic EA stabled rectosigmoid anastomosis parin 31 mm end parin.   I have referenced this in many ways and still come up with nothing... Does anyone have  a clue what this is or what it means Thank you ...

Doctor Slang Word
Mar 31, 2011

The doctor is saying: He will undergo the procedure with the s/l perbazo that this may increase his sugars. I'm having trouble finding this word on google and I know I've heard it before but just can't put my finger on it. Thanks so much for any help! ...

Word/term For Time Off For Doctor Visit
Apr 08, 2014

I am almost finished with a medical transcription course.  There is one worde/term being dictated that I just cannot understand.  It refers to when someone takes time off work for a doctor visit.  It sounds like the person dictating is saying "emuran."  Can anyone help me.   Thanks so much ...

Can't Find Word Doctor Even Wrote It Out Pancreatobiliary Tract??? Ever Heard Of This??
Jun 04, 2010

New MT Who Can't Handle This
Mar 04, 2010

I've been working 2 months. One doctor on my account makes mistakes constantly, says the wrong dates, sends in partial audio files, once sent in a file that was nothing but his side of a cell phone conversation.  He complains constantly because he says these are my mistakes.  Now, for some reason, my QA person has told him she 100% agrees with him.  Also, he thinks I'm the only one working this account, so if someone else makes a mistake I still get yelled at. This is a ...

How Would ASR Handle A Sentence Like This?
Dec 07, 2009

I am just wondering how would ASR interpret this sentence... "The patient was able to cite the exact site and moment when he lost his sight." ...

Question -- Not Sure How To Handle This
Dec 11, 2013

I have been informed by my employer that our company will be losing 70% of its accounts and thus many transcriptionists and employees will be let go.  There is an extremely good chance that I will be among those leaving, as 90% of my accounts are going to be gone.  So, I already have a job interview set up with a local physician in a private office, but since my employer has not let me know whether or not I will be laid off, should I tell my employer that I'm looking for another j ...

Is Rhoncoarse A Word? Doctor Specifically Saying Rhoncoarse (as In Coarse Rhonchi)
Nov 20, 2010

sentence is:  As above she has (rhoncoarse) inspiratory and expiratory breath sounds throughout our interview.    Doctor is not foreign and speaks very clearly... ...

How Do I Get Set Up As An IC? Do I Need An Accountant To Handle Taxes?
Jan 12, 2010

nm ...

Profanity In A Report... How Do You Handle It?
May 12, 2010

I have a dictator who says:  The patient says "I look and feel like sh--." I'm not sure how to handle it. ...

How To Handle A Problem Client...
Jan 23, 2013

Okay, so I have a client who is driving me nuts.  I wonder what the general consensus is about how to handle a really pesky issue I'm having with him.  This particular doctor is an older gentleman who wants to do things to look like he's keeping up with the times but doesn't want to change how he does things.  He's also cheap as sin and thinks that because he's a doctor and I'm an MT he's above me in life.  Not kidding. Anyway, the issue I& ...

Wondering How You All Handle A Situation.
Aug 30, 2014

I sent my resume cold to this place and got quite a rude response.  How do you all handle when you get a rude response?  I was courteous in my reply, but it just kinda went all through me that she was so rude. ...

Wondering How You Handle On Pediatric Reports When Sm
Nov 27, 2012

doc refers to mom or mother/dad/grandma, etc.  I was taught that if it is "the mom" you would not capitalize but if you can substitute a name, then it would be capitalized.  The mom denies vomiting, but Mom states the baby..... (would that be correct as far as capitalization goes?)    ...

Then A S/l Luggage Handle Was Placed In The Femoral Canal.
Jun 05, 2015

Orthopedic surgery note.   "Then a s/l luggage handle was placed in the femoral canal." I have been searching, but it is difficulty to find anything, as every search just brings up tonz of stuff about luggage handles.  Anyone every heard of this????  ...

Overheard A Doctor Telling Another Doctor...
Oct 15, 2010

20 years ago when the DRG's hit the hospitals, one  was complaing to the other... "they treat doctors like a bunch of old dogs now".  Well, that's how  MTs are being treated now.  Why on God's green earth do the MT services require all MT's to work at least one weekend day every week (Friday's and Monday's  don't count). Every ad I see on the Job Seeker board requires weekends.  Are they sadistic or something.  Why do we put u ...

Bucket Handle Tear:"The Case Was Extremely Difficult Because Of Extreme S/l Laxi To This Joint
Jul 18, 2010

n/m ...

What To Do When Dr. Makes You Gag
May 07, 2011

Everytime I do this doctor's transcription (ironically he is a pulmonologist) he snorts phlegm in the back of his nose right into the microphone and will even cough from it sometimes because he does it so hard. Tonight during an 11 min. dictation by him, halfway through I had to get up and run to the bathroom because I was gagging. He did it 5 times in the first 5 min. of the job.  I once reported a doc who uses voice recognition and apparently did her dictation on her lunch break WHIL ...

Makes You Wonder
Apr 15, 2013

I'm sure that the bigwigs at MM are very aware of the many disgruntled and downright angy posts on this board in the past week or two. It's sad that no one in the head office has addressed our concerns, either with a company-wide email or even a post on this site. It confirms that we are truly at the bottom of the totem pole and that they just want results, not happy employees. ...

OT Makes The TSM
Aug 03, 2014

but it sure leaves us short of work.  But, hey, at least she gets her bonus. ...

Makes No Sense...
Nov 05, 2009

dictated "5/5 strength of each s/l patellotibial and gastric bilateral extermities."  I know that is not what is being said, but everytime he says this he slurs so bad I can't make it out.  This would bring off about 5 timestamps, so please help! ...

Makes Me Sick
Dec 15, 2009

I am currently awaiting a call from my boss about going salary for my position as an MT, and I have no patience , so just for fun I googled "how much salary does a medical transciptionist get paid" and I clicked on this link to one of those question/answer sites where someone asked about the average transcriptionist's salary, and what I read made me sick. This person wrote a huge answer about what is to be an MT and how they get paid and such.  This person is claiming essentially they ...

How Much Do You Think The MTSO Makes
Mar 20, 2010

If they are paying 8 CPL how much are they getting paid per line? Any general ideas? ...

This Job Makes Me So Tired
Apr 13, 2011

It doesn't matter that I get enough sleep. MT makes me tired, sitting at the computer for hours on end. Anyone experience this? ...

What NUANCE's CEO Makes
May 14, 2011

CEO Pay Database Paul A. Ricci Chief Executive Officer NUANCE COMMUNICATIONS INC (NUAN) Headquarters: BURLINGTON, MA PREPACKAGED SOFTWARE 2010 Compensation   2010     Salary $575,000 Bonus $0 Value of Stock Awards $12,873,849 Value of Option Awards $5,818,100 Non-Equity Incentive Plan Compensation $460,000 Change in Pension Value and Deferred Compensation Earnings $0 All Other Compensation $45,182 Total $1 ...

Hey Know What Makes This Job More Tolerable??
Mar 04, 2012

Vicodin and Valium!!  Pulled my back out..sure makes the day go by fast ...

This Always Makes Me Laugh
Jul 27, 2012

when the doc says something like "he was assaulted by two gentlemen."  Well, at least they were polite about it right? ...

Really Makes You Not Want To Work!
Sep 27, 2013

I can't take much more!  I didn't get a single bad report on FIESA for 2 weeks.  Then they did that evaluation and wanted me to change my shift, being really nice to me.  I changed my shift completely this past week.  This week I get hit with 7 reports with numerous critical/major errors that I really do not remember doing at all.  Then I get nasty emails because I had been an hour short last week and the importance of working all my hours during my s ...