A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How would ASR handle a sentence like this? - any ideas?

Posted: Dec 07, 2009

I am just wondering how would ASR interpret this sentence...

"The patient was able to cite the exact site and moment when he lost his sight."

I dictated the sentence in Dragon - Snow Bunny

[ In Reply To ..]
And this is exactly what it typed on the first try:

The patient was able to cite the exact site and moment when he lost his sight.

(I kid you not. It got it all correct.)

Question about Dragon - any ideas?

[ In Reply To ..]
Is Dragon one of these Artificial Intelligence machines?

How does it "know" or determine the difference between the proper usage of the words cite, site and sight?

you're asking the wrong person - Snow Bunny

[ In Reply To ..]
The best place to get that question answered would be at:
www.knowbrainer.com

Choose the forum for Naturally Speaking.

But I can tell you this. It can tell the difference between "ilium" and "ileum," if you train it to.

VR - HeidiHo

[ In Reply To ..]
To edit, I would simply delete "site and", thus the sentence would make perfect sense.

Similar Messages:

Would You Capitalize Restess Leg Syndrome In A Sentence, If It Does Not Start The Sentence?
Nov 20, 2009

nm ...

New MT Who Can't Handle This
Mar 04, 2010

I've been working 2 months. One doctor on my account makes mistakes constantly, says the wrong dates, sends in partial audio files, once sent in a file that was nothing but his side of a cell phone conversation.  He complains constantly because he says these are my mistakes.  Now, for some reason, my QA person has told him she 100% agrees with him.  Also, he thinks I'm the only one working this account, so if someone else makes a mistake I still get yelled at. This is a ...

Question -- Not Sure How To Handle This
Dec 11, 2013

I have been informed by my employer that our company will be losing 70% of its accounts and thus many transcriptionists and employees will be let go.  There is an extremely good chance that I will be among those leaving, as 90% of my accounts are going to be gone.  So, I already have a job interview set up with a local physician in a private office, but since my employer has not let me know whether or not I will be laid off, should I tell my employer that I'm looking for another j ...

How Do I Get Set Up As An IC? Do I Need An Accountant To Handle Taxes?
Jan 12, 2010

nm ...

Profanity In A Report... How Do You Handle It?
May 12, 2010

I have a dictator who says:  The patient says "I look and feel like sh--." I'm not sure how to handle it. ...

How To Handle A Problem Client...
Jan 23, 2013

Okay, so I have a client who is driving me nuts.  I wonder what the general consensus is about how to handle a really pesky issue I'm having with him.  This particular doctor is an older gentleman who wants to do things to look like he's keeping up with the times but doesn't want to change how he does things.  He's also cheap as sin and thinks that because he's a doctor and I'm an MT he's above me in life.  Not kidding. Anyway, the issue I& ...

Wondering How You All Handle A Situation.
Aug 30, 2014

I sent my resume cold to this place and got quite a rude response.  How do you all handle when you get a rude response?  I was courteous in my reply, but it just kinda went all through me that she was so rude. ...

Anybody Handle Phones In A Doctor's Office?
Jul 29, 2012

So I just got a temp job in a fancy upscale surgical hospital. First in-house job in 8 years, and I really need to convert this job into a permanent deal, but my first attempts on the phone last week I sort of bombed. Is anybody able to offer some pointers on phone tact? I know I will make mistakes, it would be great if I could recover from them gracefully. >_<*  If someone was willing to mentor me and get me through this next week I would send you a box of cookies or brownies or wha ...

Wondering How You Handle On Pediatric Reports When Sm
Nov 27, 2012

doc refers to mom or mother/dad/grandma, etc.  I was taught that if it is "the mom" you would not capitalize but if you can substitute a name, then it would be capitalized.  The mom denies vomiting, but Mom states the baby..... (would that be correct as far as capitalization goes?)    ...

How Do Handle When A Doctor Makes Up A Word?
Sep 16, 2014

I have a psych doc who always says "the patient was less complaintive today."  I've changed it o "the patient complained less today."  But the doc sends the report back for correction and wants the word "complaintive" which is NOT a word!  I've been giving it to him, but man it drives me crazy. I have an ortho doc who ALWAYS says "all were in agreeance" and I change it to agreement and so far so good, but he is still dictating agreeance.  ...

Then A S/l Luggage Handle Was Placed In The Femoral Canal.
Jun 05, 2015

Orthopedic surgery note.   "Then a s/l luggage handle was placed in the femoral canal." I have been searching, but it is difficulty to find anything, as every search just brings up tonz of stuff about luggage handles.  Anyone every heard of this????  ...

Bucket Handle Tear:"The Case Was Extremely Difficult Because Of Extreme S/l Laxi To This Joint
Jul 18, 2010

n/m ...

For Employees, How Do You Handle "bad" Days?
Feb 24, 2012

I'm just curious.  I'm currently an IC, but I'm finding it very difficult to move the required amount of money out of each paycheck to set aside for estimated taxes.  If it's there, I'm usually using it to pay bills and not moving it into the separate account I set up for that specific purpose.  Sigh. I was thinking I should get an employee position so the taxes are already taken out, and the responsibility is taken out of my hands because I obviously can ...

Sentence Help ..
Nov 12, 2009

He was placed on levodopa therapy. With this, both him and his wife noticed his gait improved as well as the tremor. He has actually run out of this over the last 4 or 5 days and it may be a little bit of worsening.    That is typed as dictated, I am stumped as to cleaning it up. Also.. 'both him and his wife' does not sound right to me? or is it right. ...

Does This Sentence Look Right?
Nov 13, 2009

There is no weakness, overt numbness, loss of balance, loss of bowel or bladder, speech difficulties, visual difficulties, or lateralizing weakness. ...

Help With Sentence?
Nov 18, 2009

The next step is to obtain a CPK previous and then 1 after exercise.   Would you change 'previous' to before? ...

Help With A Sentence...do I Have It Right?
Feb 12, 2010

Here's what I hear...Evaluation for elective thymectomy in displacement with myasthenia gravis.  Not sure if it sounds like "in" or "and".  Which is correct?  Thanks for any help! ...

Help With Sentence
Mar 02, 2010

He had multiple facial fractures including bilateral  number three fracture, ligament injury in C7-T1, left hand fracture, T9 compression fractures, multiple rib fractures, right clavicular fracture, and left second metacarpal fracture.  Does this make any sense?  I have no idea what a number three fracture is, but he says it pretty clearly. ...

I'm Not Sure What To Do With This Sentence...
May 14, 2010

I'm transcribing a dictation by an Asian doctor and I'm unsure what to do with this sentence. I'm pretty sure it is exactly what he is saying.  "...drainage from her right ear 2-3 days ago. This happened after her swimming 2-3 days or had all this drainage."  The part I'm unsure about is after the first period.  Thanks in advance for any ideas!! ...

Another Sentence Help
Jul 21, 2010

does this make sense: She is now really reliving true abuse, and we will work with her. ...

Not Sure About This Sentence?
Dec 26, 2010

Heart rate PS1 S2, somewhat irregular. not sure if I am hearing Heart rate or something else... ...

REALLY??? Next Sentence
Nov 18, 2011

ok, so I had a 20-minute dictation by a DOCTOR, albeit a resident, but still...he actually said "next sentence" at the end of EVERY SENTENCE.  I just want to type verbatim for ONE DAY... ...

Sentence
Jul 26, 2012

The infant has a history of Don A Barro syndrome.  Sorry I did not put it in sentence form last time.  Thank you. ...

Take Out Repeat Sentence?
Oct 15, 2009

Peripheral neuropathy. I am going to go ahead and obtain a glucose tolerance test.   Ulnar neuropathy. He is tentatively scheduled, according to his report, to have decompression done by Dr. Labosky.   I am going go ahead and obtain a glucose tolerance test. ...

How Would You Word This Sentence?
Oct 19, 2009

Abdominal CT showed atherosclerotic changes in the aorta, multilobulated mass in the iliopsoas muscle hematoma, and extensive sigmoid diverticulosis but no diverticulitis.   TIA!!! ...

How To Word This Sentence?
Oct 30, 2009

When first seen, she had a very clear right-sided rest tremor, decreased right arm swing, and a right with gait, fairly significant posture instability, and mild increased tone on the right side with an otherwise normal exam. ...

Sentence Breaks
Nov 12, 2009

Hello to all MT posters- - Am wondering about tips about sentence breaks and comma use. Any advice/guidelines when the doctor is running fast and sentence breaks and paragraphing don't seem obvious? -Thanks to the MT's that give advise in a  professional manner. So many of the newbie posts hit right at home. -Still waiting for my AIM internship to start. Has anyone interned with AIM?   Diane   ...

Sentence Spacing
Nov 19, 2009

HI, I need to know if there are supposed to be 2 spaces between sentences. I was always taught in word there was one. I need to know because I edit. ...

Punctuation Help In Sentence
Dec 11, 2009

I hope I posted this in the right place.  If not, my sincerest apologies. I'm curious - how many of you put a comma after the phrase "At this time", i.e. At this time, the patient was discharged to home, as opposed to At this time the patient was discharged to home. I used to know all of this stuff but it's been 34 years since I graduated high school.  LOL.  I had some great English teachers but the memory fades with age......  :-) Thanks in advance!  Have a ...

How Would You Punctuate This Sentence?
Dec 28, 2009

Week #1 she had fatigue, muscle aches for which she used Advil, lightheadedness, and some depression.    Specifically the part about "muscles aches for which she used Advil."  I want to put another comma in there, but it doesn't look right to me. ...