A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Dear Skilled Editor and VR Trainer - ??

Posted: Sep 16, 2010

Skilled: I've read everything you posted and thanks for the response.

Okay, I'm not a genius but I'm not totally stupid either, and I feel like if there are MT's out there that are editing and have increased their line counts and are able to earn more money, then I can too. I am a high producer transcribing. As I said before, I am now editing at just about the same lines per hour that I typed.

Here's my system, so far, that I've developed: I reprogrammed my keyboard to allow my fingers to stay on home row keys for navigating through the document, which has helped me tremendously. I have Shorthand as my expander and I also use Autohotkeys (I do NOT have a handle on that program yet!). I have macros set up for some docs, mostly things for the exam. I do have things set up for short phrases or a few words like sd for she does, hi for he is, tps for the patient states, etc. I have recorded keystrokes that delete periods and inserts commas, I have it set up so that if I type dsr it will delete 6 words to the right of my cursor, etc. All of that has helped me get to where I can edit about 300 lph. Not good enough. At all.

The places where I find I am struggling is, for one, most of my editing seems to be in the HPI and plan. The places where there are long paragraphs of text and in a majority of sentences there will be small errors like she instead of he, or the patient's name is wrong, a left out and or the or it.  These are taking me forever and the errors I find most, that are most time consuming, don't seem to be anything I can really make a quick fix for because in one report for Dr. A it could wrong and the next report for Dr. A it could be right but then a different error of sorts. Do you know what I mean?

Second, formatting is a big issue and I know there has to be a way to fix this (probably through Autohotkeys, which I will NEVER be smart enough to figure out). I work on M-Modal. So for current medications, when I get the draft all the meds are jumbled together, some capitalized/some not, some wrong/some right and in paragraph form. I have to press control L which inserts a bullet for numbering right before the first medication of the paragraph. I then have to go to the end of that first medication, possibly delete a comma/insert period if needed whichi it usually is, hit enter and the next medication drops down with a bullet in front of it. And then on and on and on. So, if there are 10 meds, all with commas that should be periods, this takes FOREVER! And wait.....we now get to PMH, PSH. Those also have to be in list form by pressing control L......and the whole process explained above for meds. Then we get to the PE and  subheadings (VS, General, Neck, Heart). When I get the draft, the PE is all smashed together w/o any subheadings. I do have recorded keystrokes set up to insert all my subheadings, however, I can only insert them one at a time because I have to find where each new subheading should be inserted. So, I sit and listen and follow along, come to the place where he starts with the neck exam. Stop, type shortcut to insert neck heading. It is inserted, then I MIGHT have to hit delete because there could be an extra line but not always. Then I have to delete "neck" because that was supposed to be the subheading and I used my shortcut. Then I have to capitalize the first letter of that sentence. And on and on I do this through the whole PE, all the while fixing all the little random errors.

These are the issues that make me slow and that I need to figure out. Unfortunately, I will never be able to control the system and its editing accuracy percentage. But, others are successful at this and I refuse to believe that I cannot be also.  VR Trainer - You could very well have a successful side job giving tutorials to us new MT's switching to VR. It is hard to "read" the tips/instructions versus actually getting to see them in action, at least for me! 

Oh! Here's a big issue impacting my production - While I don't know the percentage, many of the docs on my account don't get to do drafts but still have to be typed because I guess the system doesn't allow them? So, I spend A LOT of my day typing still. Why does this affect my production? Oh, I can still get good lines in that way, but I am no longer paid to transcribe but to edit. So the new pay scale for editing of 4 to 5 cpl now also applies to transcribing. YEP. So I sit here, hoping for editing jobs but get ones needing transcribed, sit here doing the SAME job I've done for 11 years now only I get paid 50% less to do it.  I have to vent a second here - CAN YOU BELIEVE I AM MAKING LESS PER LINE THAN WHEN I HAD NOT ONE SHRED OF EXPERIENCE?????  Thanks to my company!  Way to look out for your workers!

If you've gotten to this point in my post, I thank you!

Thank you - carolMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree. There are no shortcuts to help alleviate the problems regarding medications (why are there always commas and never semi-colons in one long list?), the PMH, PE, etc. The random errors are very time consuming, no period, he/she, random word not dictated inserted, on and on. I average between 400-500 LPH straight typing. (Please no comments). No way can I edit 800-1000 LPH, because a doctor cannot even dictate that fast (even though we think sometimes they do), but it is not humanly possible. So, that means I took a 40% pay cut to edit something I could straight type faster in the first place, and right the first time. I have been transcribing a long time, and believe me, I have mastered all the shortcuts and know the program like the back of my hand. Yet my pay has decreased by 40%. Thankfully, I have another job straight typing, which is where the majority of my energy is focused.

BINGO! - Me too

[ In Reply To ..]
This hits the nail on the head! I too am a high producer (500-600 lph) with straight typing. I am only able to edit 250-300 lph. Been in the business a couple of decades and I also know all of the shortcuts and programs inside and out. The only conclusion I can draw from this is that since we are already "maxed out" per se at our top level, we have no room to grow. For the slower transcriptionists, they do have room for improvement and therefore someone who types 150-200 lph will likely see a jump to 300 lph with VR. This makes them more successful than us. I too am making about 40-50% less than what I made straight typing. At this point, I'm sure I made more on my very, very first day ever transcribing than what I made yesterday. If I was being paid the same amount per line to edit that I made typing, I would be fine...but I'm not and I won't. And, it takes me longer to undo the mistakes of the machine than it would for me to do it right the first time. Go figure....

Thank you - carolMT

[ In Reply To ..]
So we are punished because we are high producers? Seriously? Even with VR, I am still one of the highest producers, yet my pay cut was 40%. Again, thankfully, when we transitioned to VR, I was able to find a local, direct to client, part-time job straight typing, which more than makes up for the VR cut.
Reading your posts is rather painful. It sounds like you're underpaid. - Skilled Editor
[ In Reply To ..]
First off, let's remember that 300 lines is very fast on one account and unacceptably slow on another. So the figure on the paycheck is not just our goal, but something we can evaluate much more reliably. "I used to take home a minimum of $X before deductions." I speak all the time of getting faster to achieve that, and hopefully more, but if it's still out of reach after weeks of striving and succeeding at getting fast at editing...!

In this case, when someone like ?? has worked so diligently at increasing speed and is apparently still taking home noticeably less, it seems very likely the line rate is inappropriate to the work required.

It's great to hear you've reprogrammed your keyboard and it's working so well for you, by the way. That's still on my list, but the family member who was supposed to help with AutoHotKeys hasn't figured it out yet either. Impressive that you have. I've never had even programming for future file clerks and am going to end up hiring a highschooler. I don't care to take on the task when I know I'd forget vast amounts of it between times I needed to know it. Been THERE before.

Regarding auto numbering, this's not an impressive "what I do," but I do use a set of numbering macros with auto numbering to help turn a paragraph of drugs into a list.

One for drugs with no punctuation between. I assigned "oo" to the keystrokes that toggle numbering one and off. So for drugs with no punctuation between, keeping with an "o" to help memory, "co" inserts a period after the word before, sends the drug to the next line (numbering in the process), and jumps the cursor to the beginning of the next drug. oo oo oo

"xo" does the same when there're commas between. xo xo xo

"zo" does the same as "co" but without inserting a period behind. Like after "t.i.d." because there's already a period there.

There are about 3 more that use one of those AND jump the cursor over standard-length dosages such as "50 mg p.o. b.i.d." to the beginning of the next drug.

Not a perfect solution, for sure, and I'm still bunny hopping over "nonstandard" dose information, but they do help a lot anyway.

loving the info - ??
[ In Reply To ..]
You said "In this case, when someone like ?? has worked so diligently at increasing speed and is apparently still taking home noticeably less, it seems very likely the line rate is inappropriate to the work required." I think if I only had to spend my day editing, I may very well increase my line count and pay. I just realized that when I said I am editing 300 lph, that is not accurate. That hour and those 300 lines were not just editing but also typing. I really don't know what my line count would be with just editing. My account still has so much that has to be typed. I will actually have more typing in a work day than editing. That is why I can no longer make money, why my pay has decreased so much. I'm now getting paid 5 cpl to type. Not to mention the bad drafts that I do get that are filled w/errors.

I'm moving on! I'm going to a new company, new account. 50/50 editing and typing with 2 different pay scales for each, AS IT SHOULD BE! No way am I going to type hours and hours with 11 years' experience and get paid 5 cpl to do it.

Now for the shortcuts you mentioned, do you use Shorthand? The keys you mentioned that do autonumbering, what are those. What platform do you edit on? You may have told me but I forget if you did, sorry! I've been taking so many tests I think my brain is fried!
Excellent, ??. Moving on has to be positive, but - Skilled Editor
[ In Reply To ..]
I hope you really like your new position too.

Regarding the rest, sorry. Something I read here sounded so familiar I just started rattling on. I do use Shorthand and am on the newest version of Enterprise with M*Modal SR. New Ent has an auto numbering feature that's extremely nice to work with, but M*Modal still isn't recognizing a lot of the stuff many dictators spew out as numbered lists.

Frying one's brain taking tests sounds wonderfully sane. Did you run into that one so many people are talking about here?
do you mean testing? - ??
[ In Reply To ..]
Hi Skilled,

Do you mean the MTTest? I did read some threads earlier in the week about that site and the testing. Of course, after that I tested for 4 companies and all of them were through that site! I tested for American Trans Solutions right after reading that. I was really nervous about it after hearing all the problems with it. But, I thankfully had no problems. Out of the 4 I took, I heard back from 3 companies.
Yes, that's the one. How encouraging. And how strange that some - Skilled Editor
[ In Reply To ..]
with many years on the job report such bad results and no call-backs. Whatever, it's so nice to know what others are still doing well.

There is some truth to what you are saying, carolMT. - VR Trainer

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are at the very top end of transcription production, you will not be able to see as much gain in editing. It will be physically impossible. This is a very rare situation, however, if you are actually consistently typing 400-500 LPH x 8 hours every single day. Very rare.

The average transcriptionist, however, cannot do that. They have the capacity and opportunity to meet their transcription production earnings and exceed through ASR.

VR Trainer

Yes, I realize that - carolMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you. Yes, I could consistently produce that many lines per hour in 8 hours. I wish I could remember what I produced before word processors and macros, back in the IBM Selectric Days, but I was always the highest producer. I am not the "average" transcriptionist and never have been for the last 25 years. That being said, the whole VR system "punishes" the skilled and fast transcriptionist. No company out there would be willing to pay me the same rate for VR as straight transcription, just because of my skill. They would just hire someone else at the 4 cents a line to edit.

A few more tips - VR Trainer

[ In Reply To ..]
I do formatting changes before I ever start editing. If the PE is supposed to be in stacked, do that first. Any information that should be in a numbered list, handle it first. I scan the report for any obvious issues I need to correct (i.e., expanding "mm" to "millimeters"). Numbering a list shouldn't take but seconds to do.

Need a specific order for your report? Make sure it is all done before you edit.

The editing should be only for content accuracy - not formatting or structural correction.

Learn your specific program. I would not spend time remapping my keyboard. Learn the system. Learn the keyboard shortcuts and use them.

True, it is more difficult to switch between transcription and editing on a constant basis but once you are well rehearsed in editing, it flows much easier. I prefer 100% editing to transcribing now.

Do you receive any type of metrics on your production? I would set progressive goals each week on my ASR LPH and ratios.

If you are transcribing a report (it pulls in a blank report when you receive the job and complete the ADT/demographic screen), you should be paid to transcribe it, not edit it. So, if that is not the case, I would be speaking to management.

In summary, allowing your hands to learn everything new again does take effort but once that is done, it is your concentration that will impact your success the greatest. You absolutely must stay alert and actively engaged through every single word of the report. There is no dwaddling, auto-pilot, stare/trance time -- you must listen (not just hear) to ensure what is on the screen is what was said AND that it belongs there.

VR Trainer

To VR trainer - Transcender

[ In Reply To ..]
You wouldn't happen to be a trainer for Transcend would you? The more I read your posts the more I think I know who you are. Not that it's important but I'm just curious.

Not as a trainer. In the past I worked as an MT/Editor for them, though. - VR Trainer

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

To ?? I also have to deal with every - single thing S/M

[ In Reply To ..]
you wrote about. I also use M modal. I am wondering if there are different M modal platforms or they are all the same. I ask because it sounds like we may work for the same company, and I was very shocked when you said you are now paid the same for edit mode and straight typing mode. I am wondering if I missed the email about this. Was a global email sent out to tell you about this change in pay rate?

I think I could increase my production if I did the things that you say you have done. I also use Shorthand. All of this is very new to me, using SH and also VR. I need to find out how I can learn about all of these SH shortcuts. My company really did not provide any training. Thanks for your post. It makes me feel a little better knowing that I am not the only one who is struggling.

You are correct, and m-modal gets worse not better. - Agree with you

[ In Reply To ..]
These VR trainers are blowing hot air. They could not make a living by having to get paid by what they produce and they know it. Mmodal is the worst program out there. None of the team leads, managers, etc., give a hoot about your income, they just want to make their production goals and get their bonuses for making us make them look good. Editing is horrible and it is not going to get any better. I have no respect for the trainers or for the people who interface with the mmodal production. They allow this to happen and that makes them no better than the program.

M-Modal is one of my primary platforms. Fantastically successful with it. - VR Trainer

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I would like to know how the people you trained feel. - agree with you
[ In Reply To ..]
they probably have a different opinion.
Until they come along, I trained myself but also do very well. - On M*Modal. Anon. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
(Do not listen to losers.)

Similar Messages:

To Skilled Editor And VR Trainer
Sep 18, 2010

At first I was speeding up the dictation but found that it was impossible to correct while listening to the voice. My trainer encourages us to correct and listen at the same time. However, when speeding up the voice, that become impossible and I have to stop the dictation to make the corrections. So,  just out of curiosity, what do you do??...do you speed it up and stop every time you make a correction or do you correct while keeping the dictation going? ...and What is more helpful in bring ...

A Trainer Should Be Labeled A Trainer And Paid As A Trainer.
Aug 28, 2012

All the crap we go through is because we are trainers of the VR software.  We put up with the BS account specifics; slow down to understand the foreigners who do not care to learn English, the studderes, the slobberers, the snorers, the speedtalkers, the snot snort and swallowers....all to train the software so they can send the work to India once we fine-tuned it.  Then on to new crap.  I understand the above is all part of the job, but.....they should have to tell us when they h ...

Skilled Transcription- Any New Information
Apr 07, 2010

Anyone have any current information on this company? Thanks in advance ...

PLASTICS Skilled MT-small Opening
May 11, 2010

What happened to the PLASTICS skilled MT - small opening ad? ...

TRAINER FOR MEDICAL TRANS CO
Apr 27, 2012

Does anyone out there currently work as a trainer for any of the medical transcription companies out there?  ...

Fluency Training Today. The Trainer Said To Be OFF
Mar 10, 2014

Are they serious? We are to use Fluency manager on our own time, unpaid? I'm glad I recorded the call or I wouldn't have believed it. ...

MT To Editor
Feb 16, 2010

After over 21 years being an MT, I am burnt out and want to try something different.  Is there, in fact, anyone that will hire an MT without editing experience and train them ???? ...

EXT/editor?
Mar 28, 2010

Just wondering if this is a good VR platform?  Thinking of applying to a company that uses this.  Any information would be appreciated.  I hate the thought of going to VR but that is all the jobs that are out there and I need a job.  My previous employer just lost the account that I was working on. ...

ASR Editor
Sep 11, 2010

I know this is not the place to look for positive answers, but I am going to try anyway.  Worked for MQ years ago, but hated the punching in thing.  I have tested with them recently, as I want to get into the field of voice recognition editing.  Can anybody tell me about the part-time requirements, benefits, and the average line rate for editing?  How much of your time is editing and how much is doing actual typing?  What are the line requirements, and what happens if yo ...

QC Editor
May 06, 2011

Is anybody really making anything doing editing of work that somes from India.  I was offered 5 cents to do it and was wondering if that was good.  I have heard that the fixing of them reports are sometimes worse than the VR.  I strongly feel it should be kept here personally.  Any input would help in my decision.  ...

Editor
Aug 26, 2011

I wonder how hard it is to be an editor.  I checked transcriptionists work for years when I was inhouse.  I figured I could do it. ...

Editor Or Transcriptionist?
Oct 11, 2009

What do most people like, editing or transcribing? Just curious. ...

Editor Jobs
Aug 03, 2010

I was wondering if anyone knew of any entry level editor jobs. I do have about 6 months of experience, but I am not sure where to look for a editor job online. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great! Thanks Julie ...

Wondering About Editor Pay
Aug 06, 2010

Just wondering if anyone here does any transcription editing and if they do, how much they make.  sadly this was the only job i could find. ...

Are You A VR Editor...or VR Proofreader?
May 05, 2011

I'm not talking about the official proofreader positions that people hire in as.  I'm talking about VR "editing" - meaning, when you get those reports where VR does what it's supposed to, and you only need to add 1 comma, for instance, in the entire report - and you are zipping along at the 300-400 lph you were promised, as justification for the 50% pay cut on switch to VR...isn't that actually proofreading?? ...but what about those OTHER reports...the ones that re ...

First Job As Editor...I Am In Shock!
Apr 10, 2012

The reports I am reviewing are unbelievable!  It would be easier to have transcribed them myself.  Obviously, these reports were not transcribed by American MTs.  It has been a jaw-dropping experience so far!   ...

Letter To The Editor
May 23, 2012

Medical Transcriptionist Week began May 20th to recognize MTs over a week. The theme this year: Patient Safety. MTs across the country are transcribing medical records and are dedicated to being a 1st-line defense against errors that can negatively and sometimes fatally affect you as a patient - physicians make mistakes. MTs ensure those errors do not end up in your Electronic Medical Record.  Healthcare consumers are you aware that local hospitals are outsourcing their work to what are kno ...

I See Proscript Has An Add For VR Editor S/m
Jun 05, 2012

I have been running out of work for about the last month now. Has anyone else had this problem? ...

Editor - What To Expect For Pay?
Aug 29, 2012

I am going for an interview for an editing position with a transcription company who outsources overseas. Can anyone tell me what to expect for pay? - Thanks, SL ...

VR Editor On-line Course
Sep 03, 2012

I have been a radiology transcriptionist for 38 years, with so many companies going to VR, I am leaning towards taking an editor course.  Can you recommend an on-line course? Thank-you ...

QA Hourly And QC Editor
Jun 21, 2013

Does anyone know how much the hourly QA get paid and how much the QC editors make?? Also, if you know anything else about these positions, please share!!! ...

Wonder How Much A VR Editor Is Underpaid?
Jul 05, 2013

check this out.  This is what proofreaders make:http://www.theproofreaders.com/pricing.htm An FYI - 65-character line has an estimated 5 words. ...

Does Anyone Know If Entrada Editor Is Currently Down?
Aug 28, 2014

Thanks in advance for any info! :) ...

Fluency Editor Down
Sep 13, 2014

Is anyone else having trouble getting into Fluency Editor? Mine is saying there is an issue with Client Diagnostics. Thanks! ...

Ortho VR Editor
Apr 02, 2015

I decided to check out the new advertisement on the job seekers board for ortho vr editors. something fishy there. the company name (supposedly) is iMEDat. i went to their website and looked for contact info, as I wanted to know where they were located. There is no contact info. If you need to contact them, you need to fill out an email form and send it to them. There was, however, a toll free phone number, so I looked that up. It relates back to a place called Professional Transcription ...

Master Medical Editor
May 07, 2010

Is it a good move to go into QA or should I stay where I am MT3? ...

Alltype Has Offered Me An IC QA Editor Job But...
Jun 17, 2010

They require that I purchase professional liability insurance.  Does anyone work at Alltype as QA editor? and if so could I get you to message me?  I have a few questions.  This whole liability insurance thing just bothers me so much.  I make so little now as QA that to then have to shell out more money, I am considering just retiring and be done with this profession. Thanks ...

QA/EDITOR INFO WANTED.
Nov 04, 2010

Hi all.  Can anyone tell me what the scenario is nowdays with MQ QA/editors?  Do they still have just QA or is it QA combined with transcription?  Do they pay per hour and can anyone tell me approximately how much? Thanks in advance. ...

Transitioning To Medical Editor - Fee??
Jan 09, 2011

I have had three large accounts for over 20 years.  One has gone completely automated with voice recognition (except for two providers who will never be able to use voice recognition - yay!), one is in the process of going EMR, and one hasn't even addressed it yet.  The first one has hired me to access their system directly (Centricity/Logician) and proofead every voice recognition-created record their providers create and make corrections as needed.  They hav ...

Enterprise Express Editor
Jan 05, 2012

I have a continuous problem with ExText and I cannot find a solution anywhere. I'm using it with Word 2003 professional version. All my Word settings match up the instructions I received from both the company I work for and Nuance.  Whenever I correctly log off, I get a pop-up window that tells me Word has closed and it's searching for a solution, which it never finds. I've run all different scans for malware, viruses, etc.  Anyone know why this keeps happening and how to ...