A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Just had a long day of QAing ILPs - why are we losing our job to them

Posted: Mar 04, 2011

Seriously, a lot of them were just like editing a so-so ASR report.  Punctuation awful, sound-alike words mixed up frequently (wear/ware/where, whether/weather).  Things are typed very word-for-word, like ASR would do.  Tenses are horrendous.  They can follow the CP though.

Anybody who comes on here stating that ILPs aren't that bad and/or have better English usage than us have either never really proofread an ILP report, have proofread but aren't very good themselves and don't catch the errors, is an ILP trying to make themself look good, or one of the suits who have no clue (maybe Kumar himself!). 

It makes me sick that I have to pretty these reports up.  Somewhat of a job security I suppose.

Well - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
In my opinion, since your average person cannot read medical reports, the companies can say whatever they want to and nobody will know. Companies are trying to push overseas transcription on customers and are telling everyone that they are just as good as the US. Now, I know that there are US transcriptionists that do substandard work also, but way less than the ILPs do. Then, they have the work proofread by US QA people and the customer has no way of knowing that the work was terrible when it came back to the QA person who is editing this stuff. Thus, the customer thinks they are getting all the quality work done overseas for a lower rate.

It is just like us complaining about ASR. The companies are pushing this and telling us that we can do so much more and lower our wages for it and how can we prove it. We can't show anybody the reports or we are violating HIPAA rules. They have us no matter how you look at it.

Just my opinion.

Just had a bad thought - Shipwrecked

[ In Reply To ..]
In reading your post, it occurred to me that maybe what the ILPs are doing is just shooting off ASR reports as they are without making any edits. Zip, zip, zip! $$$

Do you have any way of telling whether they've made any corrections/edits at all?

thought - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, I guess that would not make sense to pay them to do the ASR reports if all the editing still has to be done here. They still have to pay the US people to fix the reports, so don't believe they would also pay the ILPs to just send them to us anyway. If that were the case, they would make more money by just sending them to us directly. I just believe that a lot of the ILPs suck at it. LOL I have read where a few people on here say they do very well. My sister does a lot of legal transcription, which has medical reports in it from India without being edited here and she says the reports are absolutely horrible. Our company has them edited here, but some companies go to India and straight back to the client and are horrible.

Their ASR is terrible also - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
I see skip markers all over the place and when I uncover them to see why they are there, it's only a single word or its something they typed and then subsequently took out. Some of this work already goes through 1 to 3 levels of ILP QA and it's still awful.

One day, I hope this bites all the suits in the bum.

re: - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
"Anybody who comes on here stating that ILPs aren't that bad and/or have better English usage than us have either never really proofread an ILP report, have proofread but aren't very good themselves and don't catch the errors, is an ILP trying to make themself look good, or one of the suits who have no clue (maybe Kumar himself!)."

I have proofed ILPs and the work I proofed was excellent. It actually made me fear for my job because if these guys were "this" good, well, it won't be long before they took over completely. Oh, and as for the options you cited, I am "none of the above." Just honest and seemingly different experience than you.

You must have the elite ILPs - agree with OP

[ In Reply To ..]
There are certainly different circumstances, but I found what the OP said was true.

re - Wendi970

[ In Reply To ..]
Agree. Some don't seem to understand that India at one point in history was controlled by England and many Indians speak English quite well. I have had the same experience with QA and ILP. For the most part, they're just not that bad, unfortunately.

Weird, same as ASR - no name

[ In Reply To ..]
Some accounts have good ASR and ILP and others are almost unintelligible. How can that be? How can some be "OK" and some be so bad? I don't doubt either side's report, but just seems strange.

I have edited ILPs for over 10 years. Now they bypass me, go - straight to client. Just like US MT SM

[ In Reply To ..]
they DO get better. Good enough to not need US Edit. Just like US MTs, the bad ILPs get weeded out and the good ones remain and take our jobs. Just wait, those ILPs WILL get better and you will NOT be needed.

Editing ILP is Nothing New - Ex MQ QA Person

[ In Reply To ..]
I was in the QA Dept at MQ from 2004-2009-ish, back when there was a real QA Dept. It was sickening having to edit and teach the ILP to take over jobs.

Anyway, I'm out of MQ now for several reasons. My point is, get used to editing ILP, it's been around a very long time.

Ahh, skip markers - Shipwrecked

[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't think about skip markers. A good indication that at least they're looking at the reports and not just hitting the send button.

Honestly... - Disgusted

[ In Reply To ..]
I wanna know exactly why dictating "womiting blah" is okay to anyone and by anyone's standards. That is what I got today on ASR, thank you very much Mr. Hindu with the speech impediment who likes to, wait for it, suck candy when he is dictating because I can hear slurping... come on now, seriously?

Similar Messages:

Every QA That I Have Talked To Says They Are Sicking Of QAing And Wished They Could Go Back To MTing
Oct 14, 2010

that you find working as QA?  I know I have heard a few say that the MTs apparently do not look at their corrections and continue to make the same mistakes over and over which the QA continues to correct over and over regardless how many times the MT has been told. Who loves QAing and who doesn't.  Why for each? p.s. been asked to be QA, but I am undecided.  ...

To Another MME About The ILPs
Dec 17, 2011

Okay, this isn't a big deal and just a pet peave of mine, but have you noticed that the ILPs have a habit of rearranging the order things are dictated to match some unspecified format? For example, no matter what order dictated in the PE, they always put the vitals first, general, HEENT, heart, lungs, etc.  Sometimes dictators like to put the impression and plan first on consults.  The ILPs always move them to the bottom.  Labs are always underneath the PE.  On certain ...

Are There ILPs
Jan 29, 2015

Our PC sends out group stats and I see some really crazy errors listed as "corrections." ...

MQ Has To Be Testing The MME/QA With Some Of These ILPs
May 13, 2011

Just to make sure we are going through them 100%.  The mistakes are unbelievable.  For example:  Dictator says clearly (values are different because I can't remember them):  platelet count 100,000, eosinophils 20%.   What is typed:  platelet count 100,000, insulin glucagon level 20%.  What?!  Must have been sleeping through that ASR.  Why isn't ASR learning again?  I get these weird mistakes all the time, even on non- ...

ILPs Getting Worse?
May 18, 2013

Does it seem that the ILPs are leaving blanks for anything and everything lately?  I mean, most of the stuff is clear as day.  Then it goes through 2 ILP QA and they can't get it either, although I have long since realized that the other levels of QA don't even look at the report but just send it on anyway.   After about a year of being trying to be super MME and fixing all the ILP errors in their report (usually 10-20+ per report), I decided I didn't care about it ...

I Feel Like I Am QA'ing ILPs, But I Am Not QA'ing.
Jan 29, 2015

The MM ASR has been resembling what I have seen when I have read ILP work. I am so tired of this constant correction of stinking output. No improvement and often backsliding in the output, and yet we were sent an email by corporate thanking us for collaborating with them to improve the output (?). Everything they thanked us for, I have been told they wouldn't do and don't bother to submit tickets for (like misspellings). Can't wait until I get a new job! Just another se ...

Make The ILPs
Mar 17, 2015

They're the darlings of this company, after all. ...

With All This OT Lately, Seems To Be The ILPs Don't Even Want To Do This Work!
Jun 24, 2015

x ...

MQ + HIPPA + ILPs = Hypocrisy?
Jan 12, 2010

Okay.  I just finished watching the videos and the HIPPA presentation.  Now that they've put the fear of God in all of us, just how the heck can the Q, with a straight face, suggest or promise to a health care provider that they (the Q) can assure the client the PHI can be guaranteed when sending work to a group of employees who live several continents away and who do not speak English as a primary language.   What a crock!!!!  How many health care providers know their ...

How Many Rupees Per Line Do The ILPs Get?
Apr 01, 2011

x ...

Is This All Another Hoax Perpetrated By ILPs?
Apr 04, 2013

have they struck yet again?  why don't "they" get back to work and leave us alone.  ...

ILPs Lose Big Accounts In SA4/south
Apr 08, 2010

CCM sent notice that we'd be getting the lots of work from K*** facilities back from ILPs, and finally happening. Surely more facilities will see that getting what they're paying for is A MAJOR MISTAKE, and demand US MTs do their work. ...

Involves A "5-week-long" Or "5-week Long" Treatment.
Jul 12, 2012

This would involve a "5-week long" treatment to the breast.  ...

How Long Does It Take.....sm
Mar 26, 2010

Geez!  I was hired by a national last Friday.  It is a full week later, and they haven't even gotten all the paperwork done.  I thought I had completed it all and then they said human resources forgot a few papers.  Well, they have yet to email them to me today.  I thought I would be at least training by now.  It has been a full week.  I mean they still have to install software on my computer, and I still have to train on ES and the account specs.  Ge ...

NJA- How Long Do We Have To Sit Here?
May 31, 2010

My shift was supposed to start at 8, it is now 8:15 and only 1 job has come through.   Can I send my email and be done with it or once a job comes through do I wait another 15 minutes?   ...

How Long Would It Take?
Oct 18, 2010

Can anyone tell me how long it might take, on average, to type 60 minutes' worth of dictation?  Thank you! ...

Sorry, Rather Long
Nov 21, 2010

This is in the PE section of a consult and the patient is alert but sedated.   ...The neurologic is ( s/l tense) and is intact.  Pulses in the periphery are good.   Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  Sally ...

Why Does It Take So Long?
Mar 08, 2011

Anyone out there notice this?  That it takes twice as long to do an op note anymore in ASR what with all the cutting, pasting, standards, going back to check whether or not to delete headings, blah, blah.  It used to be a cinch to simply bring in one of my standards and make the appropriate changes according to the audio, but now with ASR, it takes twice as long.  I feel like I'm running in place and going nowhere just to make ASR learn something.  It's such a waste ...

How Long
Apr 01, 2011

How long does it take to find a new job with so many people looking for work.  ...

It Has Been A Long Day...
Apr 14, 2011

The patient did some googling and recognized the tightness he was having may have been from a heart attack... Should I capitalize googling?    ...

Need A Job? (long)
Mar 01, 2012

Started working for my current office 7 years ago.  Worked 1 year in the office then needed to work from home so went on contract.  Things were great, plenty of overtime, work as much or as little as I want and still have plenty of time to spend with my family.  After 4 years they could no longer offer me a contract per se, but still had plenty of work so I stayed with them.  Things changed, started having trouble getting my checks on time, sometimes would be becaus ...

How Long Were We Down?
Jun 11, 2012

I can't remember how long we have to be down to get downtime.  Seems like it has to be at least half an hour. ...

How Long Does It Take To Not Be Known As An MT
Jan 24, 2013

I have known where this 'profession' was headed for years; even in the late 1990s I knew. I earned the education that I need with both an associate degree and bachelor's degree (bachelor's degree from Big 10 university) and, still, many people view me as an MT, which we can all agree is not good. I have experience in my new line of work, and I have worked in that field in the past. How long is it really going to take before people do not view me with all the negative stereoty ...

You Know You Have Been Doing MT Too Long When
Apr 07, 2013

you are cleaning out your desk and find a magnetic tape eraser :)   Probably belongs in a museum :) ...

Wow--long Job
May 01, 2013

Edited a job that was 4689 long.  YIKES!  That is the biggest one I have done in a very long, long time.   ...

So Long MM
Mar 15, 2014

I've done my time! On to something else! I can't say my experience here has been terrible, certainly not as bad as some others I have seen, but I just feel it's time to go. Something else presented itself and I took it.  I'll still be checking in on you all once in awhile.  Would like to especially like to wish the potential coders well; I think that's a great opportunity! Wish me luck! ...

How Long Did It Take You To Get Off Of QA?
Dec 01, 2014

I have only been working a couple of months at Nuance and I am just wondering how long it takes to get off of QA and become DSP status.  It feels like QA is nitpicking me to death.  This is the longest I have ever been on QA before.  How long does it generally take to get off of QA.  My last audit was 99.85%.   I cannot seem to get a straight answer from my TSM either... ...

How Long On Non-DSP?
Jan 14, 2015

How long do newbies typically spend on non-DSP status, and besides not having to pend every report, what does it mean to be granted DSP status? ...

That Took Me Long Enough!
Mar 23, 2015

I quit today. No 2 weeks notice. No anything. "You won't ever be able to work for Nuance again if you do this." That's like saying, "You won't ever be able to hit yourself in the face with a hammer again if you throw it away."  There is NO WAY an MT can survive not knowing what they will make week to week. Who can budget like that? They can stick their "compensation plan" up their yin yang.  I am free!  :)  ...

How Long Does It Normally Take
May 27, 2015

Anybody know? ...