A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Weighing the pros and cons - TMK

Posted: Jul 16, 2014

I was wondering if I could get some input on working for Nuance.  Are they trustworthy? Do you run out of work?  How is the platform Dicatphone Extext?  Currently work for MModal and trying to decide if this would be a good change or bad.

Thanks for your help!

CURIOUS

My Nuance experience is a positive one so far - sadie

[ In Reply To ..]
I work on the Ambulatory Care side. The MTs on this end have exclusives, meaning we are assigned work from the same doctors on a daily basis. This is a huge benefit. I think Nuance's Acute Care side is where all the bad posts are coming from, and it sounds as if those MTs post about never getting the same doctors twice, which I can imagine would be difficult. I've never worked that side, though, so my positive experience is just that, mine from working Ambulatory. The pay is exactly what all the other MTSOs offer, 7-9 cents per 65-character line (including spaces). The hours are 40 hours, M-F, though there is an abundance of work and I've worked OT (offered and accepted, not forced) for the past several weeks. The benefits plan is NOT the greatest as the deductible is outrageous. I've read the posts about the horrible TSMs that other Nuancers have, but thankfully that is not my experience - again, I work on the Ambulatory Care side, so I'm sure that makes a big difference. Upper management, which others complain about, too, has never caused me issue, so I can't speak on that. My TSM, and the 3 others I have worked under, do reply to emails and instant messaging, so again, no complaint from me there.

My advice, because of what others post all over this board about Nuance, is to apply with the Ambulatory Care side and not with the Acute Care side.

Ambulatory care - Sign me up!

[ In Reply To ..]
I was not aware that there were employees such as you working here. Did you get absorbed from a hospital or clinic and just stay on?

I came from doing clinic work where I was assigned the same doctors every day. I was responsible for keeping their work done, but we all pitched in for about 10 doctors who didn't do enough to warrant being assigned. They were super easy (well, all but 1), and it wasn't bad at all. That's all I had known until this.

Now I work clinic work and type about 15 to 20 doctors in a day. Of course, that's my primary, which work amounts vary from day to day. If it's low, I have to go to my secondary, which has enough doctors and I don't type on it enough to have really gotten a good hold, so my LPH drops significantly. As in, some days 1/2 of what we're supposed to do, but that account is a beast. I hate it.

I would MUCH rather do a single doctor or a few, even if they weren't the easiest, because after you type them enough, you can start to understand things better, work out their quirks, and set up a lot more expander shortcuts.

I hate how they have tried to standardize us but then make it so unfair how everything works.

Anyway, I echo what the TMK person said. Ambulatory sounds like it would be great. Acute care and clinic work stinks. But then again, it's all in the TSM (manager) and accounts you work on. For some it can be pleasure, others it's pain.

By ambulatory, if you mean the psych account, - that was nothing to brag about. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I was on that account. Same sorry story as the other side. TSM never available when you need them, but they expect you to jump on and type at the drop of a hat on demand.

Platform sucks. I couldn't understand the QA system, and it wasn't clearly explained when I had questions. Multiple dictators, can't ever get really familiar with any of them because you're constantly getting an assortment. Plus the account specs are vague, not complete, and change at the drop of a hat.

Let's not forget the spark fiasco, the excessively picky QA, and how much time you waste on the whole mess.

If you want to try it be fully aware with your eyes open and knowing what's ahead of you. I doubt it's much better than what you've got now, but everyone has to judge for themselves.
ambulatory care - rip
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm so much happier here in ambulatory division than doing acute care 2nd shift for half the money at MModal

My Nuance experience is a positive one so far - sadie - Ninja

[ In Reply To ..]
Mon-Fri shifts are RARE and almost never offered so please don't try to seell Nuance on that. That is a LIE. You HAVE to work a weekend day. The benefits do suck. The quality expectation is going up to 99.3% and you know why right? Less and less people will qualify for bonus. Upper management could care less about the employees, all they care about is numbers. They give the easy dictators to India and the hard dictators to onshore MTs. Complain to HR about ANYTHING and you get canned... This company is NOT worth working for.

No, I am not lying - I'm sorry that you think I am, Ninja - sadie

[ In Reply To ..]
You said "Mon-Fri shifts are RARE and almost never offered so please don't try to seell Nuance on that. That is a LIE. You HAVE to work a weekend day."

I say, this has not been my experience. I am on the Ambulatory Care side, and we work M-F, period, end of story. If there is work in your queue, sure, you can work so long as you don't go over 40 hours, unless, of course, you have OT approved.

You say "The quality expectation is going up to 99.3% and you know why right? Less and less people will qualify for bonus."

I say I have not experienced this. We have never been spoken to with regard to bonuses. Perhaps that will come in time, but I don't know. It's not familiar to me.

You said "Upper management could care less about the employees, all they care about is numbers."

It's not any different that most other very large corporations out there I'd suppose.

You say "They give the easy dictators to India and the hard dictators to onshore MTs."

On the ambulatory care side, we have exclusives. On the VERY large accounts we might be put in a departmental pool - all endo doctors, all hematology oncology, all whatever. Some of the very large accounts are shared with outsource companies. It has yet to affect the pool of work/pool of doctors for whom I transcribe.

You say "Complain to HR about ANYTHING and you get canned... This company is NOT worth working for."

I've never found anything to complain to HR about, so I can't speak on this.

No you don't. I don't. NM. - justpassingthrough

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

Ninja.... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it is pretty pathetic that if you are happy with your job, you are called a liar and 9 people liked this. I also work ambulatory and have had no problems. I do my work, get paid and they leave me alone. Everything she said is 100% true as far as my experience goes. I do work weekends sometimes, but that is because I choose not to work on Friday afternoons and I have all weekend to complete my work at my leisure. No one is forcing you to work for Nuance, so if you are that embittered you should quit. Life is too short to be that angry.

Nuance experience. - burnedoutco

[ In Reply To ..]
I am retiring really soon so I am being honest. I have worked for Nuance for about 2 years part-time. I did not realize there was such a thing as "Ambulatory." Sounds good. I did work just weekdays for a while but I was constantly running out of work so my TSM said there was loads of work on the weekends (not always true) so I ended up working on Friday and Saturday which I hate. I get different doctors and work types all the time. Though sometimes I do get a few of the same dictators, that does not make up for all the unfamiliar ones. The good ones seem to disappear. The work is 99.9% VR. Some reports are good, some you have to change everything. QA is horrible. They are often wrong and you have to spend your own time getting errors reversed. Fiesa makes you paranoid. They are also very inconsistent. They are constantly dinging you for supposed grammar errors when they seem not to have a good grasp of the English language themselves. They count just crazy things as major errors. Yes, I occasionally make errors but I have to really move fast so as to make minimum wage for my state and this is very stressful for me. My TSM is very nice which is one plus.

But,the biggest negative for me, more than Fiesa or working weekends, at my stage in life, is that there is so very little time off and you can't take time off without pay either. This is huge for me as I can't spend time with husband who does get time off, I can't visit with my daugher or sister, or simply can't get away from the job for a while to recharge. Even working part-time this is a problem for me. Also, if Thanksgiving or Christmas happen to be on the days that you are scheduled to work, unless you put in way in advance and maybe not even then, you work, kind of, as there usually is no work and you have to keep checking and that is frustrating. When I worked in hospitals, they made holidays a lot fairer.

I have worked in hospitals most of my working life and this job has definitely changed over the years. It used to be a job that was respected with good pay and benefits. Now when I say to someone that I am a medical transcriptionist, they say "I thought that was all done electronically now" or something like that. My doctor thought trancriptionists didn't exist any more. I am truly burned out.

I don't think Nuance is worse or better than any of the other companies out there. I worked for MedQuist in the past and it was not really any better or any worse than this. Maybe if I worked Mon-Fri, same dictators, plenty of work, maybe it wouldn't be as bad as some of these post say it is (me included sometimes), but I have never been able to do that with either MedQuist or Nuance and still have work available.

If you are talking about ambulatory from the Accentus - accounts, keep in mind they

[ In Reply To ..]
just haven't gotten to you yet to incorporate you into the big Nuance mess yet. They will eventually even if they've told you "business a usual." It takes a year or a little more, but you'll eventually be part of the big mix.

A hurdle I'll jump if/when that time comes -sm- - sadie

[ In Reply To ..]
For now, I'm happy with the way things are going.

Go to Company tab for latest posts on Nuance. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
That post will probably be moved over to the Nuance tab at some point, but it is on the company tab for today. You'll find out a lot of useful information.

Thanks - TMK

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for giving me the feedback. I definitely will need to find out if it is acute care they offered me or not. I just recently talked with someone who works for Nuance and this is their third week and they dislike it very much. She said they told her she would work M-F, and in the second week said she had to now work either Sun-Thur or Tue-Sat. They offered me M-F with a disclaimer that if the business is needed that I would have to work a weekend day. Right now for MModal, I only have to work every other Sat. Thanks again for your input. It's very much appreciated.

Just so you know - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I have to work a weekend day too, and it stinks, but rest assured that's when people lay out and they are begging for help starting Friday evenings and lasting until Sunday night. Sign me up for Monday through Friday. I didn't even know they offered a Monday through Friday schedule. Working EVERY Saturday has me so depressed that I am seriously thinking about taking a 4/hour cut in pay to not work the weekends.

Staying Put - TMK

[ In Reply To ..]
If anyone is interested, I'm staying put with MModal until I absolutely need to find an alternative. Sounds like it's not always greener on the other side. Thanks again and good luck to all Nuance employees.

weighing pros and cons - rip

[ In Reply To ..]
I left Mmodal for Nuance. I'm in the Ambulatory Division and so far I'm very satisfied and so glad to be back typing. No regrets!

Left Mmodal for Nuance - TMK

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm glad that things are working out for you after leaving MModal. I'm still on the fence about leaving. I called back to speak with the hiring personnel about working weekends and she told me that is why she put a disclaimer in about possibly having to work a weekend day for business need. I would be typing for Acute Care not Ambulatory. If it would be Ambulatory, I'd jump on it. Hope Nuance keeps going well for you!!

Similar Messages:

Pros And Cons
Jan 13, 2013

So I'm a bit stuck and not sure which way would be best... hoping you all can help. Putting aside cost and time to complete, what are some other pros and cons of going for CPC/CCS first instead of an RHIA and vice versa? ...

Can Anybody Tell Me Pros And Cons To
Jan 09, 2015

being a prn employee? I have an upcoming interview at a hospital for an MT job. The job is not through a staffing/employment agency. Who ever gets the job will be an actual hospital employee but will not get any benefits (one disadvantage). I wonder how it works when you want to take vacation (how much notice needs to be given) or if you have to give a two-week notice when you quit. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

Pros, Cons Of...
May 26, 2015

Looking into Southern Type.  Do they pay on time, how many undecipherable dictators, management easy to deal with, etc.  TIA ...

Emdat - Pros And Cons
Dec 30, 2009

does anyone work on the emdat system and if so, pros and cons please ...

ATTN QAs ONLY: Can You Tell Me Pros And Cons
Oct 15, 2010

Or hypothetically speaking if you are a QA who works on Dictaphone EXEditor, paid $16 per hour, full-time with potential for overtime most weeks. I have been with this company for 6 years. Love it.  Great management/office staff. I have been offered a QA position, but want to know opinions from fellow QAers before accepting what you like or dislike about QAing, the work itself.  Is this a good gig? ...

Futurenet? Pros Or Cons?
Oct 20, 2010

Can anyone tell me how their workload is here and any other pros or cons? ...

Pros/cons To DIT Transcription? 
Dec 01, 2010

Hey does anyone know of any pros/cons to DIT transcription?  Got an e-mail that they want to take their test but not sure about it.  I have been burned a few times from other places and don't want to fall into another trap....and not get my money.   Thanks! ...

Pros And Cons Of IC Vs. Employee
Oct 20, 2011

Just wondering what the pros and cons of IC status vs. employee status are? If you could be one or the other, which would you prefer and why? ...

WebScribe Pros And Cons, Please
Dec 29, 2011

Okay, you'll probably tell me to look in Archives.  Anyway, anyone familiar with WebScribe?  And how about their Crescendo CPSI MDInTouch?  Thanks.  ...

Inscribe - Any Pros Or Cons?
Jan 05, 2012

I'm looking for a new company as my account is being outsourced. Is Inscribe worth the testing time? ...

Nuance Pros And Cons
Feb 25, 2012

I read some minor cons, some minor pros.  I'm getting the feeling since the company is not being bashed heavily, that there are MTs who are surviving working for them.   Content people- What do you like about it? Discontented people - What do you find lacking? Request:  Please don't turn this into an argument with each other because you disagree with another poster's experience.  Just tell me YOUR experience, pretty please? ...

Nuance - Pros/Cons
Jun 18, 2012

Can anyone give me information about Nuance.  Pros and cons.  Any information that can be provided will be much appreciated! Thanks Jayz! ...

SoftScript-pros, Cons?
Nov 09, 2012

I have read so many pros and cons. Running out of work (that's a problem I have right now). I would love to hear from those who have been at SoftScript for longer than just a few months-maybe a year or more. Are you still happy? Do you still have work everyday? I can't take much more working till midnight just to get enough lines in and time in to pay my bills. I just want to do my job in a decent time frame and get some sleep. There's no such thing as a perfect company-they all h ...

Pros And Cons For Nuance
Jun 05, 2013

I am thinking of switching over to Nuance and would appreciate any and all advise I can get. Please let me know your experiences both good and bad. Hate starting w/someone new. Thanks. ...

Synernet - Pros, Cons
Aug 31, 2013

pros, cons. ...

Anyone Using ChartNet? Pros? Cons?
Oct 31, 2014

s ...

Can Someone Tell Me The Pros And Cons Of M*Modal.?
Jan 11, 2015

I used to work for Medquist for about 15 years or so...I left the company in 1995.  Can anytime tell me how they have changed...pay rates, etc.  Do you have to work as employee or IC?  Need equipment? I need all the information I can get is someone would be so kind as to fill me in.  What type of platform do they use?   Thanks in advance.  ...

Synernet - Pros/cons??
Mar 17, 2015

Looking for pros/cons of Synernet - who's in the know? ...

PROS Versus CONS...Is It Worth It?
Nov 09, 2010

Do you think, with the current state of affairs with the MT industry, that it would be worth trying to start a transcription company?  I'm torn.  The only reason I would want to start a transcription company is to try to make what I use to make.  I don't love being an MT, at least not anymore.  In fact, I am growing to despise it.  The thing is, I am a damn good MT, not that you would know it from looking at my paychecks since the big switch to VR and downgrade ...

What Are The Pros/cons Of Being Paid By The Hour
Jan 01, 2011

I am a newer mt and was just wondering what are the pros and cons of being paid by the hour versus by the line?   TIA ...

Any Pros And Cons About Landmark Transcription?
Nov 09, 2011

Any pros and cons about Landmark Transcription? ...

M*Modal Or Nuance? Pros And Cons?
Sep 19, 2012

. ...

Word Expanders, Pros And Cons
Feb 27, 2013

I am getting a new computer with Windows 7 and would like to know what word expander programs a person would find simple, minimal learning curve, pros and cons and what is out there. I have always used autocorrect, but feel with a MT expander would increase my production better.  Any advice, what to stay away from and what do you like about it or not? ...

Pros And Cons Of The Medrite Platform
Apr 15, 2013

Would like to hear pros and cons of the Medrite platform.  Have not heard of this one before, so anything you have to say about it would be appreciated.  Thank you. ...

AccuTran - Pros/cons, Experience?
May 09, 2013

Hello! Just got an offer from them. Pros/cons, experience? ...

Proscript Transcription Pros And Cons, Anyone Please.
Aug 05, 2014

Line requirement per hour?  If subcontractor, what is pay per line?  If employee, how are benefits, 401K?  What is QA penalty and quality expectation?  Thanks so much. ...

Pros And Cons Of IC Versus Employee ??
Jan 02, 2015

x ...

Does Anybody Know The Pros/cons Of Having An External Hard Drive?
Jan 23, 2015

Any Current Focus Employees? Pros, Cons, Good, Bad Comments?
Nov 17, 2010

Is there work?  Do they pay on time?  Any comments on overall experience there would be appreciated.  ...

Seeking Advice From The Pros
Feb 03, 2013

I'm planning on getting out of the at-home MT industry and will be seeking employment doing other jobs but in an office. The problem I'm facing is switching back to the original rectangular keyboard (carpal tunnel, here I come) once again. I've been using the Microsoft Natural Multimedia split keyboard since November 2004, and despite several attempts to revert back to the original style, I quit in frustration within 10 minutes. My fingers cannot find the keys. I cannot even u ...