A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

My Nuance Story - mtgal1963

Posted: Apr 29, 2012

I'm not on here to bash Nuance.  I am here to tell my story ...... you take from it what you want.

I have been doing MT work for 8 years.  I have worked for several national companies.  I was EXTREMELY happy with my job and then Nuance came along and swallowed up our little transcription service just like it has done to so many others.  It was not all bad .........but most of it was. 

Nuance, to be fair, does offer 401K, medical benefits, and PTO, even to their part-time MTs.  However, my pay has dropped dramatically since they took my company over.  I used to qualify for the QA incentive, even as a part timer, but they just restructured that to where you have to exceed full time line requirements to be eligible.........that's a little tough to do on a part-time basis.  They pretty much shut the part-timers out of the QA incentive completely.  They keep saying they are "working" on putting an incentive in place for part timers but I have yet to see it or hear anything promising about it. 

I love their Escription program.  As speech programs go, it is by far the best I have used.  With that said, however, it does not give me magic powers to type 500 lph like Nuance brags about in all their demonstrations.  Yes, it is a great program.  Yes, as it gets "trained" the documents come out cleaner and cleaner with less editing required and maybe some day I can type significantly more lines but for the forseeable future, that is NOT the case.  This equates to a huge pay cut for me for quite some time.  Plus I lost my QA incentive.  I have taken an IC job part-time (traditional transcription, no speech) to supplement what I have lost since Nuance took over. 

I feel very stressed since the takeover.  I am on a constant tightrope ..... crank out lines as fast as possible to keep from losing too much money, keep accuracy at 99%, and send less than 15% to QA for review.  It is a very difficult, delicate balancing act.  The speech program misses a lot of little words (the, is, a, at, in, on) and these have to be caught by the MT and put in there or corrected, otherwise, we get dinged on our QA scores for it.  It messes up medication dosages a lot  .... again, we have to carefully watch for that and correct it, otherwise a HUGE error deduction for a patient care error. 

What's the hardest for me is "the powers that be" seem to think it is so easy to just sit  there and read along with this little red box that jumps around the screen.  It gets easier as you do it for a while but it is much harder than one might think.  And we get dinged for errors that the speech engine makes if we don't catch them and they are errors that a seasoned MT would NEVER make had he or she typed the document from scratch..... hard to stomach!

Anyway, I just wanted to give my take on the Nuance situation.  I have not made up my mind for certain that I will stay.  I am giving it a shot and 100% of my effort.  I'll see how I feel and how much money I'm making in a few months and reassess my situation.  I'm just thanful I have my IC job to fall back on and a wonderful husband with a decent income.  I would starve on Nuance's pay structure otherwise!  They don't make me feel very valued as an employee..... kinda like I'm just a "typist" and not a trained professional worthy of decent pay.

Thanks for listening

Wow similar to mine.. - LeavingMT

[ In Reply To ..]
except for different company and I've been at this nearly 25 years. I am leaving though and I do thank heaven all the time for my husband otherwise we'd be in the same situation.

Ditto on the Nuance story. - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Same here on the Nuance Story - BeachMT

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Add me to that list - anon2
[ In Reply To ..]
Your description has been my experience exactly. Making just $10/hr is insanely tough at Nuance and I have been an MT for 17 years. In addition Editing is BORING. After a couple hours I am ready to bounce of the walls.

I'm at a different company, too, but it's just the same. - Theyre all Squid wannabes!

[ In Reply To ..]
:(

Constant balancing act - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I am on my own financially. I have creditors calling all the time. Good thing for caller ID. I right now have no car insurance. Good thing I only need to drive once in awhile. (Just think if I happened to hit a Nuance Big Wig and said oops no insurance!!!!) Other than that I ride my bike everywhere I need to go. Good thing I live in FL, but rainy season is upon me and I got a little wet today, but the rain felt good. The point I am trying to make is I was used to living one way, got wrapped up in this pay-cut big MTSO company take over stuff, was still trying to live the way I used to and was soon over my head in bills. I have the most minuscule cell phone program now. You just learn to live with less, however, sure would like to have all the new gadgets going around like IPAD, IPHONE, Wee game, Kindle, etc. Those are just material and I sure like to eat so that comes first. Oh and the other day I actually bought an outfit in Goodwill that was made in the USA, imagine that!!!

Your balancing act sounds like mine! (sm) - Meerkat

[ In Reply To ..]
My cell phone is bare-bones, no internet, no texting, just make and receive calls. It's mainly for emergencies, so I don't use it much. Goodwill and Thrift Town are my new "Ross"! It's been so long since I've bought brand-new clothes, I've forgotten what that's like.

I like to sew, but material is expensive, too! I recently found a fabulous velvet long skirt at Goodwill, which I made into a short skirt, and with the remaining material I made a little shrug jacket.

I have insurance, but still drive my car as little as possible, mainly because of the cost of gas.

I like flowers in my window boxes, but this year I think rather than buying new ones to plant, I'll just "borrow" a few geranium cuttings from around the neighborhood, and start those, instead.

I love pizza, but store-bought is too pricey. As are the store-bought pizza crusts or pizza dough. So I buy giant tortilla shells (burrito size), and make my own thin-crust pizzas with those.

I haven't flown on an airplane since the 1990s. The only "vacations" I get are once a year to visit my mom for a couple days. It takes me months to pay off the gasoline I burned to get there and back. I carefully plan and consolidate shopping trips & errands.

My glasses are about 10+ years old, and don't work very well anymore. Last week the lens fell out on one side. I Crazy-Glued it back in, but what I REALLY need is a new prescription for new glasses.

I had to stop buying bird seed for the wild birds in my yard. Now all I can feed is the hummers. My cats haven't been to a vet in 3 years... I keep my fingers crossed they stay healthy. I make, rather than buy, their cat-toys.

My transcription headset is 15 years old, and the whole thing is held together with duct tape.

I've gotten good at scavenging. I found an old, wet, rained-on sweatshirt under the bleachers at a junior high one day. It looked like it would fit, so I took it home and washed it. Now it's one of my favorites!

I don't buy scratch paper or note pads. I write my grocery lists on the backs of the envelopes bills came in. I take old bills, letters, and junk mail that has one blank side to the paper and cut it up and staple it together to make note pads.

I've learned how to darn socks and fix holes in sweaters. I recycle aluminum cans & plastic bottles at Safeway, and they give you a voucher to use in the store instead of cash. A big bag will usually get me around $8.

I cut medication costs by asking my doctor to prescribe not only a 90-day dose of my meds, but also twice the dosage that I normally take. Then I just cut the pills in half, and they last twice as long.

Even with all of that, however, it's just not possible to make enough money transcribing to pay the bills. The cost of everything keeps going up, and the amount of money I'm getting paid keeps going down.

Something I've noticed about eScription: (s/m) - Meerkat

[ In Reply To ..]
I use eScription for VR, too. I agree, it's the best transcription program out there. The VR, however, leaves a lot to be desired, but ALL VR is like that.

In eScription, I've noticed that, if you are working on many reports by the same dictator, and if you've pretty much caught up to him and are typing the reports not long after he dictates them, the VR does start to "remember" a few things. I find these are usually things it got wrong, especially if it's abbreviations that should've been expanded. The only problem is, it doesn't RETAIN any of that newfound knowledge it supposedly has gained. If you type the same doctor the next day, the VR is back to making the same stupid mistakes.

Also, my company claimed the VR would get better and better, and that our line counts would skyrocket. No way has that happened. Mine have stayed exactly the same, because it still takes just as long to edit a report with lots of mistakes, lots of paragraph-hopping, ESL dictators, and demographic nightmares, as it does to just type it myself. VR is a joke and a scam.

One result of lower pay is that more people are letting - sloppy SR go as long as they are not

[ In Reply To ..]
called on it. That's a big reason why eScription "can't retain." It's being trained to keep the mistakes.

That is likely a big part of it - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Sounds like people are making up for not getting incentive by packing in lots and lots of lines. Not a good way to "train" SR.

I keep hearing about people who can do 25K lines a pay period without problem. I am an experienced MT and I haven't been able to break 20K just yet. Of course, I care about that 99% QA and so don't have my speed set at 200% either. I see no other way to acheive that line count other than at the expense of QA. Unless they work on an easier account I guess. Mine is crazy heavy on ESL.
For once I get familiar with an account again, I'm seriously - wondering if it would pay me to
[ In Reply To ..]
forget incentive pay and go for total lines. I can slow down to review for important words and speed up for the "the" versus "a" stuff and still put out a good dependable report better than many I see.

I've been wondering if anyone's done the math for themselves yet. I haven't built speed to where I can figure it for myself yet.

Editing comes comfortably for me, but our big contribution - contribution is not being given proper weight

[ In Reply To ..]
compared to those niggling little "errors" that can add up to being downgraded for 3 months.

We all know how unintelligible so much of the dictation we struggle over is. A good MT/ME doesn't really hear all the words spoken and CANNOT send the many thousands of untelligible words each pay period to QA. We know what so many must be because of our experience. That experience is the real value we bring to the process--it couldn't work if we didn't make informed guesses. Although experienced MTs get incredibly more right than wrong, inevitably among those hundreds of thousands of words we make mistakes, yet even then only a small percentage are significant errors. We make up things like "presented to" or "came to," "said" or "reported," because we know something like that has to be in there even though the dictation's entirely unintelligible and nobody sends to QA for stupid stuff like that. We do that sort of thing ALL DAY LONG--setting ourselves up for a bad fall during the QA process by doing our jobs well.

Mistakes are inherent in this process. Informed guesses are demanded; people who can't provide a lot of good ones are fired as incompetent. So where does a process like that leave us?

The problem with this system is that everything that is right is ignored, and mistakes are given such great weight that a consistent pattern of excellence can be outweighed by very little.

Although posts of a certain number of people here strongly suggest they are not very good, seemingly just eager to grab a chance to complain about something, even an incentive they've never earned and never will, other postings nevertheless reveal a problem for the many, many more who deserve a system that reliably rewards excellence.

Similar Messages:

What's The Real Story With Nuance
Oct 15, 2012

I see a lot of ads for Nuance lately and it seems like there are MTs saying there is no work for them.  What is the real scoop?  Just want to know if it would be worthwhile to apply to them or if I would be sitting around with no work.  Not a big fan of big MTSO... but needing some work and willing to compromise if I must.  Thanks in advance!  ...

My TTS Story
May 01, 2010

Here is my TTS story.  I was hired by the owner in July, 2007 as an IC.  I liked the owner. She seemed a down-to-earth logical person who cared about her company, her employees and had a degree of integrity you don't find at the national companies. She asked me what I was looking for and after I explained she understood the type of account I needed and placed me on an account that suited my needs.  No bait and switch which is pretty common pract ...

My Story
Mar 03, 2013

When I was 50 years old, I got fed up with making a low salary, so I decided to go back to school. I started University of Phoenix and majored in IT.  This past December, at 54 years old, I graduated. Before I graduated, I started getting scared that at my age I would not find an entry level job in a young male dominated industry.  I had a few really bad interviews. A week ago, I was hired as an IT Project Manager, and this year I will make close to $100,000. My last several paychec ...

Same Old Story
Mar 29, 2015

Same old story--lost my good hourly-paying, direct-employee job and wondered what to do next. I started looking into records because to me it seemed a good move for a transcriptionist to make. It took some time but I did get a job in records--and I hate it.  I'll do my best and learn what I can, but now I'm glad I didn't spend time and money getting certified in records before having actually worked in it. It might be worth trying another records job elsewhere, since eac ...

FTR Success Story
Mar 15, 2010

Ok... I made it thorugh my first day of FTR with no QA markers sent to QA or client and no guessing.   Look at how smart I am MedQuist!!!  I just did not realize my own potential until you dangled the 3 cpl pay cut in front of my nose.   Mark one on my side of the board. ...

Ugh, Same Story Every Time
Nov 05, 2011

I am honest when interviewing with prospective companies/MTSOs. I tell them my experience then tell them I'm ready and able to work.  Will they have at least 1000 lines a day for me to work? Would there ever be a chance for 1500+ per day/per "shift"? Guess what?  They ALWAYS say yes. They ALWAYS say, "Oh, it's very rare we ever run out of work!  You won't find that problem HERE with us!" Guess what again?  Still ALWAYS running out of work.  Seems 500-800 ...

A Sweatshop Story
Dec 31, 2012

My grandmother used to tell a story about working in a dress factory in the 1950s. They started her out sewing pockets. It was piecemeal work. She had to meet quota to keep her job. If she went so much over quota, she made a bonus. When she started making bonuses on pockets, they moved her to setting zippers. When she started making bonuses on zippers, they moved her to a different station. And on it went. Work, work, work, produce, produce, produce until the whistle blew. Can't ma ...

What's The Story, MT Glories?
May 23, 2014

Hi ladies (and the occasional gent) - I haven't popped in here for a bit.  Wondering what the scoop is as far as any decent online companies to work for at this point.  I've been an onsite MT for about 3.5 years now, but my place of employment has never heard of raises and I just had a big fat financial setback.  I'm currently thinking of trying to find some part-time work online (or even full-time, if bennies are provided).  I'd love to leave this employe ...

ICs - FedEX Story
Nov 05, 2014

Maybe things will change. http://wallstcheatsheet.com/business/why-businesses-claim-their-employees-arent-employees.html/?a=viewall ...

AHDI -- My HDS Story
May 20, 2015

They really want to hear our HDS stories?  Then let's tell them.   http://www.ahdionline.org/GetConnected/Events/NationalMedicalTranscriptionistWeek/tabid/185/Default.aspx ...

Anybody Wanna Hear My Story About VR?
Apr 29, 2010

I am a small MTSO. I had a pretty big hospital account that went to ES VR 2 years ago. The fallout for the hospital has been rather profound. They offered me 16 for straight and 8 for VR. I thought at the time that I could live with that if VR made MTs faster and they could earn virtually the same as for straight typing. Well, that didn't turn out and my MTs ran like scalded dogs! I have since learned through grapevine that they are in real big trouble. The remaining few hospital MTs are ed ...

MedQuist Cindarella Story
Jul 17, 2010

The day after I got my benefits letter and learned of another dollar per hour drop in pay, my husband, who works for a government-contracted company, tells me that the (uneducated, very average) wife of his coworker got hired on as a janitor (making more than me) and took a FORK LIFT class and now has been promoted and gotten a $7 PER HOUR raise.  I am supposed to leave on vacation in a few minutes.  All I want to do is cry.  It isn't even about the money at this point.& ...

Cinderella Story For Medquist-a Little Fun
Jul 22, 2010

In viewing some of the posts on this board, I noticed that some wanted to try to create a Cinderella story for the Q.  OK, then let's have a little fun with this.  The least I can do is offer some song lyrics.   As most of you know, there have been two well known productions of this classic, one by Disney and the other by Rogers and Hammerstein.  The Hammerstein version was shown on CBS TV with Leslie Ann Warren in the title role. I offer two sets of lyrics, one f ...

Same Ol Story, Season Is Starting. NJA. Sm
Nov 22, 2010

Here in South, NJA all last night and again this morning.  Cannot get on to MQMail either to contact my CCM.   In fact nothing on the message board will come up.  I need help from Support because the QCare program will not download either and seems to have disappeared from my computer.   Anyone else with NJA last night late (11 pm on)  and even this morning.  The system says it is green light and all is go.  Yeah right.   ...

There Was A Story On The News Last Night
Oct 17, 2011

She worked as a coder at a hospital that was bought/taken over by some new HMO (don't remember the name of it), and during staff meetings, they were telling the coders to replace one symptom description, such as "dizziness/fainting" with a more generalized neurological condition, because that condition caused the insurance companies to pay the hospital more.  The condition they wanted her to put was something rarely seen, one doctor said he saw 2 cases in ...

So What's The Story On Amphion? Good Or Bad?
Oct 20, 2011

Would love to hear the scoop on Amphion from anyone who works there or has recently worked there.  I'm thinking about applying there.  How is the pay, software, and benefits, and is there plenty of work?  Thanks in advance for any info I can get! ...

Wanting To Leave MM? Here's My Story
Jun 05, 2012

I started back when it was DDI. Anyone remember that? We had 2 accounts, 1 primary, 1 secondary. We rarely were without work. I absolutely loved it and we ALL KNEW our accounts inside and out. Changes came the last few years and not all good. You all know how difficult working for MM is so I won't go into that. Two summers ago I "thought" and was lead to believe, I would be able to work part-time at my local hospital. I was continuously told it all "looked like a go." For 5 months it "looke ...

Please Share Your Success Story On Getting
Sep 30, 2013

I still have a good 15 months left of school, at least, and this place is just killing me mentally, emotionally, physically.  I love studying for my classes, though I have such little time for just that, because it is going to lead me to a life without MM, but I need your inspiring stories.  Share anything and everything you are willing to about your escape, please.  Hopefully there will be many responses because my intent is to then bookmark this page and refer to it often when I ...

A Rare Story Of Hope....
Mar 12, 2014

I worked for my local hospital for 11 years. I decided to start working from home and went with OmniMed (great company out of Fargo). Not long after, they were bought out by MedQuist. That began the downhill slide that got worse and worse. My work was outsourced to India. I then went to Spheris which was great at first, but then that work disappeared and they were bought out. On to TTS (nightmare). Then to Landmark (no work). I was going to get out of this business FOR GOOD when I saw an ...

Problems At Spheris? Online Story.
Dec 30, 2009

Medical transcription company Spheris Inc. missed a Dec. 15 interest payment to bondholders, sources confirmed to NashvillePost.com. See oink below.   ...

Although I"m Not Surprised To Read This Story, I AM
Mar 16, 2010

- the medical transcription schools, weren't mentioned.  Most likely it's because more people the below-mentioned classes than MT.  Still, it's proof that when times are hard, there are vultures out there preying on those who are just trying to get by:   One fast–growing American industry has become a conspicuous beneficiary of the recession: for–profit colleges and trade schools. At institutions that train students for careers in areas like health ...

If You Are Unhappy With Your Company And Pay, Contact CNN To Get Your Story Out
Nov 05, 2010

If you want to get the word out, start with CNN.  Below is a small part of an article about declining income in the United States.  They asked for people to give their stories.  Any Takers?  http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Washington-DC-posts-highest-cnnm-1741487299.html?x=0   Nationally, income dropped by 2.1% to $50,221 in 2009.  Accounting for some of that decline was shorter work weeks: The median time at the job fell by 36 minutes to 38.4 hours from 39. The ...

Journalist's Story And Wanting Quotes
Sep 14, 2011

S.E. White, I would hope would have said the name of the paper she is writing this article for and if quoted where we can find it, if all is legit.  She posted this question on the Tuesday it was supposedly due at 2 a.m. She was looking here at MTStars for an article due by noon that same day?  Hummm.  Questionable, but then again nobody would believe we have to have a report done in 2 hours for 4 cents either, and the patient still will not get the results from the doctor in ...

Contacting Someone With The MT Story And Greedy MTSOs.
Aug 04, 2013

This lady might get interested in the MT vs MTSO greed issue if enough people contact her. I've already done it, but it's going to take several people, especially those of you who work for the top 2 greedmongers. You very likely can do it anonymously, give it a try and see. The lady who wrote the article is in this post: http://general.mtstars.com/357551.html Click on her name as the author, and it gives you a contact option. ...

CBS Evening News Did An Even Bigger Story
Feb 07, 2015

Maybe this will be investigated deeply enough to reveal the travesty that our profession has become, and the role offshoring medical records plays in ID theft. ...

Archivus Calling Us Off Of Work Again. Just Nothing To Type, Same Old Story
Nov 19, 2009

I am beginning to hate the fact that I took this job.  They keep calling us off or switching us to clinic work or something else.  This is one of the worst places I have ever worked.  I am going to have to find something else.  ...

Cool Story About A Remarkable Young Woman
Jan 06, 2012

in how corporations do business.  I think sold-out American workers like ourselves could make the same changes in how they think about offshoring.  http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/06/us-usa-companies-backlash-idUSTRE80424T20120106 ...

The Future Of Coding The Cover Story Of For The Record Mag
Jan 28, 2012

Timely! Computer-aided coding and its impact upon the coding job market is the feature story of the just-released For The Record magazine. Some excerpts: "...From what I've heard from those hospitals for years now is that it's not that they need fewer coders."  Instead, Bronnert sees coders being used more effectively and at a higher skill level.  "They become even more valuable to a facility.  I don't see their roles or positions diminishing at all.  I see ...

Story On Billing And Coding On American Public
Apr 10, 2012

I just heard a story on American Public Media's Marketplace via my local NPR radio station.  There is a transcript of it online.  Very interesting, especially towards the end when they talk about how the system of billing based on codes is not cost efficient anymore with the complexity of health care and that, as insurers keep paying less and less for each code, providers dig around and find more and more codes that they can bill for on each procedure or hospital stay to make up f ...

Dianne Sawyer's Story Regarding Medical Records
Sep 15, 2012

and at the bottom there is a section for comments, I then selected re: her news show.  I asked her to do a followup regarding the off-shoring situation.  Please, let's try to get this story out!  If she gets enough emails, maybe we can make this happen.  She's the person to do it, I think.  TYIA. ...