A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Although I"m not surprised to read this story, I AM - surprised that one of the worst culprits - (sm)

Posted: Mar 16, 2010

- the medical transcription schools, weren't mentioned.  Most likely it's because more people the below-mentioned classes than MT.  Still, it's proof that when times are hard, there are vultures out there preying on those who are just trying to get by:

The New York Times

One fast–growing American industry has become a conspicuous beneficiary of the recession: for–profit colleges and trade schools.

At institutions that train students for careers in areas like health care, computers and food service, enrollments are soaring as people anxious about weak job prospects borrow aggressively to pay tuition that can exceed $30,000 a year

More from NYTimes.com:

Why Financial Plans Are Worthless

Telling Friends Where You Are (or Not)

Overdraft Protection: Why Bother?

But the profits have come at substantial taxpayer expense while often delivering dubious benefits to students, according to academics and advocates for greater oversight of financial aid. Critics say many schools exaggerate the value of their degree programs, selling young people on dreams of middle–class wages while setting them up for default on untenable debts, low–wage work and a struggle to avoid poverty. And the schools are harvesting growing federal student aid dollars, including Pell grants awarded to low–income students.

"If these programs keep growing, you're going to wind up with more and more students who are graduating and can't find meaningful employment," said Rafael I. Pardo, a professor at Seattle University School of Law and an expert on educational finance. "They can't generate income needed to pay back their loans, and they're going to end up in financial distress."

For–profit trade schools have long drawn accusations that they overpromise and underdeliver, but the woeful economy has added to the industry's opportunities along with the risks to students, according to education experts. They say these schools have exploited the recession as a lucrative recruiting device while tapping a larger pool of federal student aid.

Popular Stories on Yahoo!:

Homes of the Billionaires

Uncle Sam Might Owe You Money

6 Job Sectors That Are Hiring Now

More from Yahoo! Finance

"They tell people, 'If you don't have a college degree, you won't be able to get a job,' " said Amanda Wallace, who worked in the financial aid and admissions offices at the Knoxville, Tenn., branch of ITT Technical Institute, a chain of schools that charge roughly $40,000 for two–year associate degrees in computers and electronics. "They tell them, 'You'll be making beaucoup dollars afterward, and you'll get all your financial aid covered.' "

Ms. Wallace left her job at ITT in 2008 after five years because she was uncomfortable with what she considered deceptive recruiting, which she said masked the likelihood that graduates would earn too little to repay their loans.

As a financial aid officer, Ms. Wallace was supposed to counsel students. But candid talk about job prospects and debt obligations risked the wrath of management, she said.

"If you said anything that went against what the recruiter said, they would threaten to fire you," Ms. Wallace said. "The representatives would have already conned them into doing it, and you had to just keep your mouth shut."

A spokeswoman for the school's owner, ITT Educational Services, Lauren Littlefield, said the company had no comment.

The average annual tuition for for–profit schools this year is about $14,000, according to the College Board. The for–profit educational industry says it is fulfilling a vital social function, supplying job training that provides a way up the economic ladder.

"When the economy is rough and people are threatened with unemployment, they look to education as the way out," said Harris N. Miller, president of the Career College Association, which represents approximately 1,400 such institutions. "We're preparing people for careers."

Concerned about aggressive marketing practices, the Obama administration is toughening rules that restrict institutions that receive federal student aid from paying their admissions recruiters on the basis of enrollment numbers.

The administration is also tightening regulations to ensure that vocational schools that receive aid dollars prepare students for "gainful employment." Under a proposal being floated by the Department of Education, programs would be barred from loading students with more debt than justified by the likely salaries of the jobs they would pursue.

"During a recession, with increased demand for education and more anxiety about the ability to get a job, there is a heightened level of hazard," said Robert Shireman, a deputy under secretary of education. "There is a lot of Pell grant money out there, and we need to make sure it's being used effectively."

The administration's push has provoked fierce lobbying from the for–profit educational industry, which is seeking to maintain flexibility in the rules.

A Lucrative Business

The stakes are enormous: For–profit schools have long derived the bulk of their revenue from federal loans and grants, and the percentages have been climbing sharply.

The Career Education Corporation, a publicly traded global giant, last year reported revenue of $1.84 billion. Roughly 80 percent came from federal loans and grants, according to BMO Capital Markets, a research and trading firm. That was up from 63 percent in 2007.

The Apollo Group — which owns the for–profit University of Phoenix — derived 86 percent of its revenue from federal student aid last fiscal year, according to BMO. Two years earlier, it was 69 percent.

For–profit schools have proved adept at capturing Pell grants, which are a centerpiece of the Obama administration's efforts to make higher education more affordable. The administration increased financing for Pell grants by $17 billion for 2009 and 2010 as part of its $787 billion stimulus package.

Two years ago, students at for–profit trade schools received $3.2 billion in Pell grants, according to the Department of Education, less than went to students at two–year public institutions. By the 2011–12 school year, the administration now estimates, students at for–profit schools should receive more than $10 billion in Pell grants, more than their public counterparts. (Those anticipated increases may shrink, depending on the outcome of wrangling in Congress over health care and student lending.)

Enrollment at for–profit trade schools expanded about 20 percent a year the last two years, more than double the pace from 2001–7, according to the Career College Association.

Mr. Miller, the association's president, said for–profit schools were securing large numbers of Pell grants because their financial aid offices were diligent and because the schools served many low–income students.

But financial aid experts say the surge of federal money reaching such institutions reflects something else: their aggressive, sometimes deceitful recruiting practices.

Jeffrey West was working at a pet store near Philadelphia, earning about $8 an hour, when he saw advertisements for training programs offered by WyoTech, a chain of trade schools owned by Corinthian Colleges Inc., a publicly traded company that last year reported revenue of $1.3 billion.

After Mr. West called the school, an admissions representative drove to his house to sell him on classes in auto body refinishing and upholstering technology, a nine–month program that cost about $30,000.

Mr. West blanched at the tuition, he recalled, but the representative assured him the program amounted to an antidote to hard economic times.

"They said they had a very high placement rate, somewhere around 90 percent," he said. "That was one of the key factors that caused me to go there. They said I would be earning $50,000 to $70,000 a year."

Some 14 months after he completed the program, Mr. West, 21, has failed to find an automotive job. He is working for $12 an hour weatherizing foreclosed houses.

With loan payments reaching $600 a month, he is working six and seven days a week to keep up.

"I've got $30,000 in student loans, and I really don't have much to show for it," he said. "It's really frustrating when you're trying to better yourself and you wind up back at Square One."

Corinthian says it bars its recruiters from making promises about pay.

"The majority of our students graduate," said a spokeswoman, Anna Marie Dunlap, in a written statement. "Most see a significant earnings increase."

The increase in market opportunities for the for–profit education industry comes as governments spend less on education. In states like California, community colleges have been forced to cut classes just when demand is greatest.

"This is creating a very ripe environment for the for–profit schools to pick off more students," said Lauren Asher, president of the Institute for College Access & Success, a nonprofit research group based in California that seeks to make higher education more affordable. "The risks of exploitation are higher, and the potential rewards of those practices are higher."

For–profit culinary schools have long drawn criticism for leading students to rack up large debts. Now, they are enjoying striking growth. Enrollment at the 17 culinary schools of the Career Education Corporation — most of them operated under the name Le Cordon Bleu — swelled by 31 percent in the final months of last year from a year earlier.

When Andrew Newburg called the Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts in Portland, Ore., to seek information, he was feeling pressure to start a new career. It was 2008, and his Florida mortgage business was a casualty of the housing bust. An associate degree in culinary arts from a school in the food–obsessed Pacific Northwest seemed like a portal to a new career.

The tuition was daunting — $41,000 for a 15–month or 21–month program — but he said the admissions recruiter portrayed it as the entrance price to a stable life.

"The recruiter said, 'The way the economy is, with the recession, you need to have a safe way to be sure you will always have income,' " Mr. Newburg said. " 'In today's market, chefs will always have a job, because people will always have to eat.' "

According to Mr. Newburg, the recruiter promised the school would help him find a good job, most likely as a line cook, paying as much as $38,000 a year.

Last summer, halfway through his program and already carrying debts of about $10,000, Mr. Newburg was alarmed to see many graduates taking jobs paying as little as $8 an hour washing dishes and busing tables, he said. He dropped out to avoid more debt.

"They have a basic money–making machine," Mr. Newburg said.

More Bills Than Paychecks

Career Education says admissions staff are barred from making promises about jobs or salaries. The school requires students to sign disclosures stating that they understand that its programs afford no guarantees.

But promotional materials convey a sense of promise.

"Our students are given the tools needed to become the future leaders in the industry," proclaims the Le Cordon Bleu Web site. "Many graduates have attained positions of responsibility, visibility, and entrepreneurship soon after completing their studies."

The job placement results that the school files with accrediting agencies suggest a different outcome. From July 2007 to June 2008, students who graduated from the culinary arts associate degree program landed jobs that paid an average of $21,000 a year, or about $10 an hour. Oregon's minimum wage is $8.40 an hour.

The job placement list is cited in a class–action lawsuit filed against the Portland school — previously known as Western Culinary Institute — by graduates who allege fraud, breach of contract and unlawful trade practices. Executives at Career Education denied the allegations while asserting it would be wrong to judge the school on the basis of its graduates' first jobs.

"You go out in the industry and work your way up," said Brian R. Williams, the company's senior vice president for culinary arts.

On a recent morning at the campus in Portland, hundreds of students donning chef's whites labored in demonstration kitchens stocked with stainless steel countertops and commercial gas ranges. A chef inspected plates of boeuf Bourgogne and risotto Milanese. Students melted and pulled sugar into multicolored ribbons. Others used a chainsaw to sculpture blocks of ice into decorative centerpieces.

"It's employable skills; that's what we teach people here," said the school president, Jon Alberts. "We try to give them as much of an industry experience in the classroom as possible."

But several local chefs said the program merely simulated what students could learn in entry–level jobs.

"When they graduate and come in the kitchen, I tell them, 'I'm going to treat you like you don't know anything,' " said Kenneth Giambalvo, executive chef at Bluehour, an upscale restaurant in Portland's Pearl District. "It doesn't really give them any edge."

What the school does give many students is debt, often at double–digit interest rates — debt that even bankruptcy cannot erase without a lengthy, low–odds legal proceeding.

When TJ Williams arrived in Portland from his home in Utah to enroll at Le Cordon Bleu in 2007, he was shocked by the terms of the aid package the school had arranged for him: One loan, for nearly $14,000, carried a $7,327 "finance charge" and a 13 percent interest rate.

"They told me that halfway through the program, I could probably refinance to a lower rate," he said.

When he tried to refinance, the school turned him down, he says.

Career Education declined to discuss Mr. Williams's case, citing privacy restrictions and saying he had not signed a waiver.

Mr. Williams has been jobless since last fall and recently returned to Utah, where he moved in with his mother.

After Graduation

The Career Education Corporation e–mailed The New York Times names and contact information for four graduates "with whom we hope you'll touch base for important perspective." One came with a wrong number. A second had graduated 15 years ago.

A third, Cherie Thompson, called the program "a really positive experience" but declined to discuss her debts or earnings. The fourth, Ericsel Tan, graduated in 2003 and later earned $42,000 a year overseeing catering at a convention center near Seattle. He said his success reflected his seven years of kitchen experience prior to culinary school.

Career Education notes that only 5.9 percent of the federal loans to students at the Western Culinary Institute that began to come due in 2007 — the latest available data — are listed in default by the Department of Education.

But default rates have traditionally reflected only those borrowers who fail to pay in the first two years payments are due.

The Department of Education has begun calculating default rates for three years. By that yardstick, Western Culinary's default rate more than doubles, to 12.5 percent.

For–profit schools have ramped up their own lending to students to replace loans formerly extended by Sallie Mae, the student lending giant.

These loans are risky: Career Education and Corinthian recently told investors they had set aside roughly half the money allocated this year for private lending to cover anticipated bad debts.

Financial aid experts say such high rates of expected default prove that graduates will not earn enough to make their payments, yet the loans make sense for the for–profit school industry by enabling the flow of taxpayer funds to their coffers: they satisfy federal requirements that at least 10 percent of tuition money come from students directly or from private sources.

"They're making so much money off their federal student loans and grants that they can afford to write off their own loans," said Ms. Asher of the Institute for College Access & Success.

Questionable schools - Ex-MT

[ In Reply To ..]
That is an interesting article; however, it does not surprise me. I have talked to people about these "career schools" that are no regionally accredited by the U.S. Department of Education and I think that these "career schools" are nothing more than scam artists. I did not attend a "medical transcription school," but I am sure that it is a scam as well. A couple of years ago, I got a call from an IT school scam artist, which I think that you all probably have heard of because they advertise their commercials on the radio all the time. Anyway, they actually said that they were charging like $40,000 to take a 3 month course and wow you would be Microsoft certified! I just laughed and asked them why would I do that? I said that if I was going to spend $40,000.00 that I would spend it at a reputable regionally accredited university and get a bachelor's degree. For that price, I wasn't even going to get what they would call (and some other schools call) a "bachelor's degree." I mean did they think that I was born yesterday? It is bad enough paying for a real university/college that is regionally accredited but at least I know that when I graduate it will be a respected degree by employers.

I think that all of these questionable schools (including "MT schools" should be outlawed.) JMO.

Did you know what it takes to be an "accredited" school? - You may be shocked as I was

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a friend who goes out with the 'team' to evaluate schools for accreditation. You would think that they are looking at the program to see if it teaches what they say they are teaching and does it effectively.

You would be wrong.

They get deeply into the financials of the school to make sure they the money they need to handle the federal financial assistance, Pell, and Guaranteed Student Loan Program money.

It's all about the financial aid, not about what they are teaching.

When they do reviews of schools that are accredited, they check attendance records to make sure that the people who are getting financial assistance are actually attending.

I almost cannot believe this, I thought it's only about the curriculum - accrediting schools

[ In Reply To ..]
and it should be.

I think there are several 'accrediting" criteria.
He tells me there are set numbers of hours but mainly just about the financials - Quality of the education is not evaluated
[ In Reply To ..]
According to my friend, they want to know if you have the ability to handle all of the huge amount of federal funds they are going to send when students enroll and that you have the ability to keep good attendance records. They don't want to pay if students aren't really attending. There are some requirements about how many hours, length of time and such, but nothing at all about the quality of the course.

Accreditation - Ex-MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, just because a school is "accredited" and gets Pell grants and other financial-aid goodies does not mean that they are regionally accredited -- big difference. I mean the "beauty schools" are getting Pell grants. lol :-)
Right. I think the word "accredited" has been abused - Buyer Beware
[ In Reply To ..]
Some of the worst schools I know are accredited. In those cases it just means they have lots of money. They don't teach anything well enough to be worth that money, but oh well.

That's why they pressure you so much when you call and get people who are on commission to sel - The Government paying sounds good to callers

[ In Reply To ..]
Most schools hire high-pressure sales people to convince callers to enroll. They are on commission, so they don't get paid unless they sign you up. It's easy because they can tell you that they will take care of all of it for you. It's free. Financial aid will pay.

If you ask anything about what they are teaching, the answers aren't quite as easy. Usually the person on the phone will get you back to discussion of how it's free, the government will pay it for you. That's the best thing they have going for them, not the training, which may be horrid, but it's free!

In my opinion Federal Financial Assistance has hurt the quality of schools - Not a fan of Pell or GSL Loans

[ In Reply To ..]
If you look at some of the schools that are accredited for financial assistance, which is why they become accredited if you get right down to it, they are more interested in the money than in teaching, but they have lots of money. LOL. Taxpayer money. Not so funny. We're paying for all of that poor training at the accredited schools. I wish we had control over the quality since we're footing the bills for it.

Fed Assistance Not Helpful to Either Schools (Quality) or Students ( Paying Loans) - Not A Fan

[ In Reply To ..]
It's obvious to me that the quality of education goes down when the schools focus on selling rather than educating, and that's what happens when the big federal $$$ get in the picture. It's also obvious that many of those students don't think about the fact that they have to repay those loans and no matter what career you just trained for, it takes time to get a job and start making money. I wonder what the default rate is on those loans and what they do to people when they can't or don't pay.

Fed money thrown at schools - Ex-MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I think that is happening right now with all these grants the government is giving to people who lost their job (displaced workers) to go to community colleges for associate degrees or certificates and even "beauty school" or some of the questionable schools. I think that it has degraded the perception of the community college and the associate degree a lot. I think too that because of all these WAG grants and all this money being thrown at people to retrain themselves, having an associate degree is going to mean absolutely nothing in a couple of years. . . just like years ago what happened to the high school diploma -- means nothing. You are supposed to have it or you can't get a job. . .

Similar Messages:

Surprised!
Dec 14, 2010

I got a new computer from MQ today!  It is a slimmer CPU that can either stand or lay on a desk, its really small, AND a flat screen monitor and these awesome headphones with volume control on the headset!  I'm so happy!  (Now if I had some work to do...)  haha!  ...

Surprised
Dec 11, 2014

Boy was i surprised today.  I work as a coder for a large midwestern teaching hospital network/medical college.  We have an aggregate of about 900 inpatient beds, 160-some outpatient clinics on our campus, plus multiple satellite sites, 3 ERs and several urgent cares. a cancer center, a heart hospital, and 2 ambulatory surgery centers - so lots of transcription.  Today at our CODING meeting while discussing some upcoming changes to our epic system and striving for improved documen ...

Surprised No One Commented Yet...
Apr 05, 2010

or are we just so numb that we just expected it?  I read that update...no 401k matches for 2009 and no approved employee merit raises for 2010.  BUT we should be happy with all the other benes we are given, according to the suits. Well let's see...I have the "benefit" of watching my pay drop over the last few years.  I have the "benefit" of not seeing a pay raise.  I have the "benefit" of seeing NJA almost every day.    I know I am not alone.  Aren& ...

Pleasantly Surprised
Sep 28, 2010

I don't know what's going on at the Q, and I know I'm going to jinx it, but I've had 14 reports in a row of straight typing!!!!  If this keeps up I'm gonna work until is stops!  Honey! Put on another pot of coffee!!!     ...

Surprised And Confused
Aug 11, 2014

I am never OOW with Nuance.  I am busy all day long everyday.  It blows my mind to hear that people run out of work constantly and can't make money.  The money isn't great I know, but it's not bottom of the pile either.  I worked at a lot of places before and had problems with TMs, OOW, low compensation, horrible hours and schedule, but not here.  I must be lucky or something.  ...

Surprised No One Has Mentioned MT Week Yet. Nm
May 20, 2014

ff ...

Surprised There's No Mention On This Board
Aug 23, 2014

of the millions of medical records that were hacked into by Chinese hackers: "A group of sophisticated Chinese hackers, known for its high-stakes corporate espionage has a history of stealing medical-device blueprints, prescription-drug formulas and other valuable intellectual property from large health-care companies." http://bloom.bg/1sQpVdV In the article, it mentions a Franklin, Tennessee company.   ...

No Longer Surprised But Always Still Upset--sm
Nov 06, 2014

Yes, I have seen this enough times that it no longer surprises me.  There were 18 reports on my primary.  I have an hour left of my shift.  When I anticipated downloading the next one, all 18 were gone, gone, gone.  It is upsetting.  I would try adjusting my schedule but it would do no good, there normally is too little work during that time as it is.  I already will be taking about 3 hours of PTO for being OOW on Sunday.  It would be 4 but I have made up some ...

With All The KS Bashing Here Any Time Anyone Mentions Them, I Wouldn't Be Surprised
Oct 04, 2011

This is how it went for Webmedx a few months before they sold to Nuance.  I sure hope not, because I love my job and do not want to go back to working for Medquist. ...

Fairly New And Was Pleasantly Surprised To Get A Generous Bonus
Dec 10, 2014

Is this a profit sharing bonus or do we normally get a bonus around Thanksgiving every year, and will we also get a Christmas bonus. Thx ...

My TTS Story
May 01, 2010

Here is my TTS story.  I was hired by the owner in July, 2007 as an IC.  I liked the owner. She seemed a down-to-earth logical person who cared about her company, her employees and had a degree of integrity you don't find at the national companies. She asked me what I was looking for and after I explained she understood the type of account I needed and placed me on an account that suited my needs.  No bait and switch which is pretty common pract ...

My Story
Mar 03, 2013

When I was 50 years old, I got fed up with making a low salary, so I decided to go back to school. I started University of Phoenix and majored in IT.  This past December, at 54 years old, I graduated. Before I graduated, I started getting scared that at my age I would not find an entry level job in a young male dominated industry.  I had a few really bad interviews. A week ago, I was hired as an IT Project Manager, and this year I will make close to $100,000. My last several paychec ...

Same Old Story
Mar 29, 2015

Same old story--lost my good hourly-paying, direct-employee job and wondered what to do next. I started looking into records because to me it seemed a good move for a transcriptionist to make. It took some time but I did get a job in records--and I hate it.  I'll do my best and learn what I can, but now I'm glad I didn't spend time and money getting certified in records before having actually worked in it. It might be worth trying another records job elsewhere, since eac ...

FTR Success Story
Mar 15, 2010

Ok... I made it thorugh my first day of FTR with no QA markers sent to QA or client and no guessing.   Look at how smart I am MedQuist!!!  I just did not realize my own potential until you dangled the 3 cpl pay cut in front of my nose.   Mark one on my side of the board. ...

Ugh, Same Story Every Time
Nov 05, 2011

I am honest when interviewing with prospective companies/MTSOs. I tell them my experience then tell them I'm ready and able to work.  Will they have at least 1000 lines a day for me to work? Would there ever be a chance for 1500+ per day/per "shift"? Guess what?  They ALWAYS say yes. They ALWAYS say, "Oh, it's very rare we ever run out of work!  You won't find that problem HERE with us!" Guess what again?  Still ALWAYS running out of work.  Seems 500-800 ...

My Nuance Story
Apr 29, 2012

I'm not on here to bash Nuance.  I am here to tell my story ...... you take from it what you want. I have been doing MT work for 8 years.  I have worked for several national companies.  I was EXTREMELY happy with my job and then Nuance came along and swallowed up our little transcription service just like it has done to so many others.  It was not all bad .........but most of it was.  Nuance, to be fair, does offer 401K, medical benefits, and PTO, even to their pa ...

A Sweatshop Story
Dec 31, 2012

My grandmother used to tell a story about working in a dress factory in the 1950s. They started her out sewing pockets. It was piecemeal work. She had to meet quota to keep her job. If she went so much over quota, she made a bonus. When she started making bonuses on pockets, they moved her to setting zippers. When she started making bonuses on zippers, they moved her to a different station. And on it went. Work, work, work, produce, produce, produce until the whistle blew. Can't ma ...

What's The Story, MT Glories?
May 23, 2014

Hi ladies (and the occasional gent) - I haven't popped in here for a bit.  Wondering what the scoop is as far as any decent online companies to work for at this point.  I've been an onsite MT for about 3.5 years now, but my place of employment has never heard of raises and I just had a big fat financial setback.  I'm currently thinking of trying to find some part-time work online (or even full-time, if bennies are provided).  I'd love to leave this employe ...

ICs - FedEX Story
Nov 05, 2014

Maybe things will change. http://wallstcheatsheet.com/business/why-businesses-claim-their-employees-arent-employees.html/?a=viewall ...

AHDI -- My HDS Story
May 20, 2015

They really want to hear our HDS stories?  Then let's tell them.   http://www.ahdionline.org/GetConnected/Events/NationalMedicalTranscriptionistWeek/tabid/185/Default.aspx ...

Anybody Wanna Hear My Story About VR?
Apr 29, 2010

I am a small MTSO. I had a pretty big hospital account that went to ES VR 2 years ago. The fallout for the hospital has been rather profound. They offered me 16 for straight and 8 for VR. I thought at the time that I could live with that if VR made MTs faster and they could earn virtually the same as for straight typing. Well, that didn't turn out and my MTs ran like scalded dogs! I have since learned through grapevine that they are in real big trouble. The remaining few hospital MTs are ed ...

MedQuist Cindarella Story
Jul 17, 2010

The day after I got my benefits letter and learned of another dollar per hour drop in pay, my husband, who works for a government-contracted company, tells me that the (uneducated, very average) wife of his coworker got hired on as a janitor (making more than me) and took a FORK LIFT class and now has been promoted and gotten a $7 PER HOUR raise.  I am supposed to leave on vacation in a few minutes.  All I want to do is cry.  It isn't even about the money at this point.& ...

Cinderella Story For Medquist-a Little Fun
Jul 22, 2010

In viewing some of the posts on this board, I noticed that some wanted to try to create a Cinderella story for the Q.  OK, then let's have a little fun with this.  The least I can do is offer some song lyrics.   As most of you know, there have been two well known productions of this classic, one by Disney and the other by Rogers and Hammerstein.  The Hammerstein version was shown on CBS TV with Leslie Ann Warren in the title role. I offer two sets of lyrics, one f ...

Same Ol Story, Season Is Starting. NJA. Sm
Nov 22, 2010

Here in South, NJA all last night and again this morning.  Cannot get on to MQMail either to contact my CCM.   In fact nothing on the message board will come up.  I need help from Support because the QCare program will not download either and seems to have disappeared from my computer.   Anyone else with NJA last night late (11 pm on)  and even this morning.  The system says it is green light and all is go.  Yeah right.   ...

There Was A Story On The News Last Night
Oct 17, 2011

She worked as a coder at a hospital that was bought/taken over by some new HMO (don't remember the name of it), and during staff meetings, they were telling the coders to replace one symptom description, such as "dizziness/fainting" with a more generalized neurological condition, because that condition caused the insurance companies to pay the hospital more.  The condition they wanted her to put was something rarely seen, one doctor said he saw 2 cases in ...

So What's The Story On Amphion? Good Or Bad?
Oct 20, 2011

Would love to hear the scoop on Amphion from anyone who works there or has recently worked there.  I'm thinking about applying there.  How is the pay, software, and benefits, and is there plenty of work?  Thanks in advance for any info I can get! ...

Wanting To Leave MM? Here's My Story
Jun 05, 2012

I started back when it was DDI. Anyone remember that? We had 2 accounts, 1 primary, 1 secondary. We rarely were without work. I absolutely loved it and we ALL KNEW our accounts inside and out. Changes came the last few years and not all good. You all know how difficult working for MM is so I won't go into that. Two summers ago I "thought" and was lead to believe, I would be able to work part-time at my local hospital. I was continuously told it all "looked like a go." For 5 months it "looke ...

What's The Real Story With Nuance
Oct 15, 2012

I see a lot of ads for Nuance lately and it seems like there are MTs saying there is no work for them.  What is the real scoop?  Just want to know if it would be worthwhile to apply to them or if I would be sitting around with no work.  Not a big fan of big MTSO... but needing some work and willing to compromise if I must.  Thanks in advance!  ...

Please Share Your Success Story On Getting
Sep 30, 2013

I still have a good 15 months left of school, at least, and this place is just killing me mentally, emotionally, physically.  I love studying for my classes, though I have such little time for just that, because it is going to lead me to a life without MM, but I need your inspiring stories.  Share anything and everything you are willing to about your escape, please.  Hopefully there will be many responses because my intent is to then bookmark this page and refer to it often when I ...

A Rare Story Of Hope....
Mar 12, 2014

I worked for my local hospital for 11 years. I decided to start working from home and went with OmniMed (great company out of Fargo). Not long after, they were bought out by MedQuist. That began the downhill slide that got worse and worse. My work was outsourced to India. I then went to Spheris which was great at first, but then that work disappeared and they were bought out. On to TTS (nightmare). Then to Landmark (no work). I was going to get out of this business FOR GOOD when I saw an ...