A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

My TTS story - jm

Posted: May 01, 2010

Here is my TTS story. 

I was hired by the owner in July, 2007 as an IC.  I liked the owner. She seemed a down-to-earth logical person who cared about her company, her employees and had a degree of integrity you don't find at the national companies. She asked me what I was looking for and after I explained she understood the type of account I needed and placed me on an account that suited my needs.  No bait and switch which is pretty common practice at other companies.   

I referred many MTs, some friends and some refugees from the Medquist national pool, to TTS - that's how much I believed in the company and the owner.  Some of my friends had very unpleasant experiences with the managers and left.  Some stayed and try to work around them. 

I received great QA from TTS, at times 100%. Good enough reviews I was able to stay with the company for close to 3 years.  I rarely sent in blanks and would research before I would send report to QA.  I thought I was doing a good job.

I was fired a couple of days ago by a manager because I sent the wrong doctor a cc of an orthopedic chart note.  I was under a lot of stress at this time because a close relative had died after a terrible battle with cancer earlier that month.  TTS knew this.  I also was having financial stressors in my life which TTS was aware of.     

Prior to working for TTS I worked for Medquist for 8 years.  I decided to leave Medquist because of the national pool they created.  MQ supervisor asked me to stay but I declined.  My QA at Medquist was also above average and I managed to keep my job for 8 years until I decided to leave.

Before working for Medquist I worked for a local company for 2 years.  (The company was bought by Medquist.)   I have never had issues with quality with them or any place I worked and I am certainly not a slacker which is the claim some make when MTs have issues with their company.

My thought is as TTS grew the owner put people in charge who really were not capable of managing and probably would be better suited to MT work.  It seems she may have lost touch of what was going on in her company or maybe just looked the other way to avoid losing managers. 

To those who say they were never hassled at TTS and are happy - good for you.  I wasn't hassled and was happy until a few days ago when one of the managers fired me for sending a cc request to the wrong doctor.  This could happen to you - you can be fired for an error - unless of course you are super-human and don't make mistakes.

Because of my personal experience, I would not recommend TTS as a good place for an MT to work at this point.  TTS has become a company with total disregard for MTs and I would urge those looking for work to avoid the company.

The cc Thing - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
The cc/getting fired thing is getting common practice because of the overblown HIPAA situation. I no longer pull from a database, I just enter manually as dictated, even if I think I know for sure.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Don't blame your personal situation or yourself, blame the over-reaction HIPAA problem. In the future, never pull from the database for a cc, just leave the onus on the hospital end by typing manually. Worst that can happen is they get ticked off, but they can't fire you for being cautious.

HIPAA - jm

[ In Reply To ..]
The fact remains firing was a harsh punishment. After 3 years of service and great quality reviews a manager fired me and my termination was approved by the owner. Under the circumstances I have experienced, I would not advise anyone to work for TTS.

There are many other underlying issues with TTS which are mentioned by posters below that I agree with but I will just focus on the firing event here.

If an MT wants to risk making an error (which human beings are prone to make every now and then - even MTs) and being fired for the error without a second thought of your circumstances or prior record with the company would not bother you, probably you won't mind working at TTS. Just don't be surprised if you are terminated if the managers find an error because this is how TTS treats the MTs.

Bottom line - Avoid the company.

Firing was an overreaction. Should have been put on suspension instead. nm - justme

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Maybe I'm a bonehead... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
..but I don't understand what you're saying. I thought copying and pasting from a database was the way to go. The company I work for has a database in which you can do a search for doctors' fax numbers, and you can copy/paste it onto the chart. If you know that the doctor is the correct one, why not copy and paste from the database?

You still can't be SURE you've got the correct cc - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You can't be sure unless the dictator gives the full name and address of the cc physician.

Let's say that the database that your company has supplied is for a facility in Maryland and has only one "Dr. Singh, nephrology" on it. And the dictator says to send a cc to "Dr. Singh of nephrology."

How can you be sure that it is not the "Dr. Singh of nephrology" in the state of New Mexico that he means?

And even if the dictator says to send the cc to "Dr. Singh of nephrology here at Podunk Hospital" (and Podunk Hospital is the one that you have the database for). How can you be SURE that they haven't just added another "Dr. Singh" to the staff, whose specialty also just happens to be nephrology, and maybe the database just hasn't been updated to include this latest information yet?

Remember, to be compliant with HIPAA, you have to be 100% sure that you are cc'ing the correct physician.
Even if he dictates the full address, it may still be wrong! - Rocky Raccoon
[ In Reply To ..]
I've had countless doctors give entire names and addresses, only to, at the very last second of the dictation, say "ooops" and change to a completely different recipient. For both addressees on letters, and cc recipients.

So what then? How are we supposed to know? I keep saying over and over again, and the suits just don't seem to care, that if it's that critical, then the system for sending cc's needs to be a LOT easier than it is currently with our system. And that the ultimate responsibility should fall on the dictator of the report, not the person transcribing it.

Ultimately, I think if it's that critical, we shouldn't do live cc's at all - instead, just a list of ones that were dictated, and back at the hospital, they should then have to verify the cc information and be responsible for the physical sending, either by mail or by EMR, the actual copies. NOT us.

your story - NotNewMT

[ In Reply To ..]
First, my condolences on the loss of your loved one.

I understand the issues with sending a cc to an incorrect physician, if it is outside the facility. It is a big concern with privacy issues. However, people are human and mistakes can occur. Each company and facility is supposed to have policies to deal with these sort of errors.

I hope your situation improves for the better.

Wow, that could happen to me possibly because I am an employee - lka

[ In Reply To ..]
I am so disheartened to hear this happened to you. I have been there for about 8 months, after lots of communication going back and forth from the owner and myself, I am finally on a decent account and never run out of work, have a very good rapport with the team leads, etc. I have made the best of a situation (in which I have to work), but of course can never make the money I once did because of VR. I would hope that one could not be fired for one mistake... yes, I know it is major with all of the confidential info that could get into the wrong hands, but this is just plain wrong in my opinion. I would love to hear more if you wanted to e-mail me, but I do respect your privacy also if you do not want to. I wish you the best!!

TTS and many others as well - non

[ In Reply To ..]
It is not just TTS, it is many other services as well. They are doing the same thing.

Companies are firing for 1 error? - kittykat

[ In Reply To ..]
Where will this end? Seems companies would run out of MTs here in America. Guess they can always tap into the MT resources in India. Maybe that's the plan.

Have heard of TTS and MQ both firing MTs for wrong cc's - sm

[ In Reply To ..]

The MTSO company supplies the MT with the patient demographics and physician databases, and then requires the MT to type or otherwise attach or apply any requested cc physician's name to the document.

But if a cc goes to the wrong physician, then the MTSO company fires the MT for the HIPAA violation.  The company can then say "We had a HIPAA breach, but we have taken decisive action and fired the MT."

Thus, the MTSO has the best of both worlds.  Requiring the MT to include the cc information, but then firing the MT for the HIPAA breach if that information turns out to be incorrect.

Best thing to do is to NOT pull in any cc physician's name from any kind of a database whatsoever.  If the MTSO requires you to include the cc information, HAND TYPE the cc physician's info exactly as given by the dictator.

How can an MTSO fire an MT for attempting to stay within the law.  And HIPAA is the law.  The MTSO should really not be asking their MTs to include any cc information from a database because 9 times out of 10, the MT is going to be doing it with at least some element of "guess work."

What I do now... - cindyoh

[ In Reply To ..]
when the dictator says "send a copy to Dr. So-and-So" and doesn't give me a first name is manually enter exactly what he says at the bottom of the dictation itself and not pull any names from the data base at all, no matter if I'm pretty sure I know whom the dictator means. I'd rather take flack from QA over it than take a chance. My first inclination was to ignore what the doc said and type nothing but at least this way they can see I did what was asked as far as I could. In my opinion, all those copies they ask for shouldn't be flying all over the place anyway, it's ridiculous.

Did you send the report to the National Enquirer or something? - Puzzled

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't get it. If it went to a professional doctor why would an MT get fired?

These companies have reports going to India MTs. Does HIPAA care about people from foreign countries seeing American medical records? If one of the foreign MTs shared the medical records with another unauthorized person, would HIPAA be able to come after the employee in India or is it outside their jurisdiction?

This whole thing doesn't make sense.

No, it doesn't make sense, but MTs are still being fired for it - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
As you probably already know, with HIPAA and HITECH, it is considered a breach if a patient's information is sent or otherwise gets into the hands of a wrong person. And this includes a cc going to the wrong physician.

In all cases, the patient must be notified about breach in their private medical information. And HITECH makes the MT liable for a fine, regardless of whether a breach is intentional or unintentional. (note the word "unintentional" there)

So, this is why the MTSOs have decided to start firing an MT if the MT accidentally gets a cc wrong. Because it's a breach that must be reported to the facility (their client, i.e. the hospital) and must also be reported to the patient.

But why are the MTSO asking their MTs to include cc information AT ALL then? That's my question. Are the MTSOs actually requiring their MTs to take chances with possibly breaking the law?

The MT can NEVER be sure that the cc information is correct. And even if it is transcribed exactly as the dictator states (even if they give the full name and address for the cc), if that information turns out to be wrong (and we all know that physicians DO make mistakes), then HITECH makes the MT just as responsible as the physician, even though the MT did it unintentionally and was just following directions.

In my opinion, the MT should have never been responsible for sending cc's anyway. And now, with the new HITECH laws, the MT should NEVER be asked to include any cc information.

The MT can never be sure that the cc information is correct. The dictator may have given incorrect information, maybe looking at the wrong chart at the time, maybe going from memory but that memory is faulty, maybe misspoke or mispronounced the name...a million reasons why, but bottom line is that the MT can just never really be 100% sure that any cc information is correct. And with HIPAA and HITECH, the MT has to be 100% sure in order to be in compliance with the law.

So, the MTSOs who are asking their MTs to include cc information are really asking their MTs to do something that may possibly be illegal.

The India MTs are beyond the law - HIPAA does not apply to them

[ In Reply To ..]
HIPAA is United States law and India MTs are not responsible for following US laws. They can if they "want" to, but they don't "have" to.

Medical records in India can be shared with anybody they want, their co-workers, the man on the street, heck they could even sell them on the black market if they want...all beyond the reach of United States and HIPAA laws.

TTS big mouth..read! - red

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked for TTS for 2 weeks and the woman that hired you was the same one who hired me. I called one day after about 2 weeks and she answered the phone. She screamed so loud and hard that her voice cracked and cut out the audio completely. I was calling her during payroll (she couldn't afford paying someone to do 800 employee paychecks, I guess). I called to ask an administration question, but with this reaction, it sounded like a mad woman, as though she was on cocaine or some drug. This was not normal. You know, toward the end of the phone call, she actually said, "don't give up" like I was going to go back after that? I never got to get the question answered as I didn't hear anything but her bellow, but the "up and down" screaming emotion she exhibited in 10 seconds was too much for me. I would never recommend that company and pity any soul working for someone with mood swings like that. Pardon me, but I think it was a blessing for you! Hang in there, there is a good reason for you getting fired, there is something better out there, be patient! Good luck!

Crazy or an attitude toward MTs? - jm

[ In Reply To ..]
Funny you mention that. A few of my MT friends I referred to TTS experienced some strange behavior from the owner but I never did. I kept referring MTs to TTS based on my dealings with her which were great.

Maybe allowing me to be fired after 3 years of great QA is part of her split personality/mood swings and I didn't see it until now.

Trust me what I have learned since being fired about the lack of integrity, political system, and/or craziness at TTS makes me angry at myself I didn't catch on sooner when friends told me about her attitude towards them when they dealt with her.

Maybe it is a blessing I'm gone. I'm just missing income right now and worried about losing my home and long term bad effects TTS will have on my search for work as far as referrals after being fired by one of the owner's "managers"/goons.

referrals - NotNewMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Absolutely do not use this company as a referral. I have never used a current company as a referral, and rarely a previous employer. I might use a QA person who I have been acquainted with. As in most industries, a new employer never contacts your references anyway, if they even request them. Use other professionals or acquaintances in your life instead. A colleague from an organization you belong to, a church leader, a financial planner, a friend/ neighbor with a job that is in management or human resources. It is standard practice in most industries to respond to questions about your work history with only that you worked for the company and the dates of employment, and no other information.

Check and see if you qualify for unemployment or other state benefits to get you through this difficult time. Discuss your financial situation/loss of job with your creditors and work out a plan. Check with any county assistance offices or a law firm to see what is available to assist you.

Do what you have to do to survive and save your sanity. Best wishes to you.

A mad boss lady at TTS?!? LOL - IMO

[ In Reply To ..]

That's harsh but close to true. 

I sure hope she can't track my e-mail after my posts on this board.  Surprised

Sour grapes? - Lovin TTS

[ In Reply To ..]
Gotta keep it all in perspective. I find it hard to believe a successful company like TTS would fire a valuable MT over one CC error. I would imagine the original poster was warned at least once to be careful. Of course, the story wouldn't be as sensational if the poster admitted to any wrong-doing.

but she did - naysayer

[ In Reply To ..]
She does admit to doing something wrong. She sent a cc to the wrong doctor, she does not deny that!

Did you actually read the post? Read again slower. - IMO

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't believe you would think somebody would spend time posting lies here for sour grapes sake. Read all of the OP and read the answers about HIPAA. Read all MT feedback about TTS in general and other poster opinions about the company. Why would MTs spend their time posting lies about TTS or any other company for that matter?

I am in favor of supporting my fellow MTs over companies who do not treat us with respect. You aren't? You are siding with the company. Why would that be?

what's not to believe? - Lovin TTS

[ In Reply To ..]
Happens all the time. Disgruntled employees, recently laid off, fired, whatever ... will often feel they have an axe to grind or the need to point a finger rather than accept blame for their own mistakes.

Yes, the OP said she made one tiny error and got fired. I find THAT hard to believe.

I am not in favor of supporting a company over an MT who deserves respect. I am in favor of the truth.
You got that right - Happy at TTS
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm with you. Why does this always come down to an "us against them" thing? The OP was wrong to have sent a cc to the wrong doctor, regardless of her personal circumstances. I am not going to side with someone who did something wrong just because of the gang mentality here and the need to think of the MTSOs as the bad guy.

It's called thinking for yourself.
Tiny error? - jm
[ In Reply To ..]
To lovin TTS:

I made more than 1 tiny error on my accounts at TTS over 3 years. I am a human being. I had random QA checks that pointed out my errors. They were not serious and were "tiny" enough I held my job for 3 years with TTS.

The truth may be distressful for you to hear but my experience with TTS is true.

Why you choose to defend TTS and say it's all about sour grapes or MTs may have some axe to grind so they tell lies about TTS is the question. Why would you be so defensive of TTS if others do not share your opinion?
not distressed at all - Lovin TTS
[ In Reply To ..]
JM said in the original post: "I was fired a couple of days ago by a manager because I sent the wrong doctor a cc of an orthopedic chart note."

And I am saying I find it hard to believe that one instance you mention is the SOLE reason you were fired.

I'm not defending TTS. I am defending my opinion which is that you were fired for some other reason.
Try to FOCUS - jm
[ In Reply To ..]
The reason given to me by e-mail from a certain TTS manager is that I sent a cc to the wrong doctor, thus my contract with TTS was terminated. I have not sent a wrong cc to another doctor so this was not a 3 strikes you are out situation.

Focus on this and wrap your brain around it. If I was not doing my job and was prone to excess error, I would not have lasted at TTS for 3 years. I got random QA reviews. I passed them, some 100% some a little less but all within the parameters of maintaining my job at TTS.

I think you have bigger issues to worry about than my story. Don't understand why you are so upset and distressed by my telling my experience but I can assure you my experience is exactly as I am saying and I am not omitting any part of my TTS story.
Thank you - Nostradamus!
[ In Reply To ..]
Well if YOU don't believe it, then it can't possibly be true!
It's not that difficult - Happy TTS chick
[ In Reply To ..]
MOST people defend what they believe in. There is really nothing sinister behind it.

Just as you have the right to bash TTS because of your dismissal because of your error, I have the right to defend them because I have been more than happy with them and they treat me with respect and decency.

Hey TTS Chick - jm
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't mind happy TTS MTs showing up in groups like they have this afternoon but I do mind those happy folks who are sure my story must be untrue or half true. The happy TTS posters are doubting other posters are credible and that they all must have an "axe to grind." That is my problem with the happy TTS posters.

PS: I do think it is strange that y'all showed in a very short period of time though. For some reason, that makes me smile.

Yep, I'm sure. Just like when all you unhappy ones - showed up at the same time right? - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I was not unhappy until fired. READ my posts. - jm
[ In Reply To ..]
I clearly complimented TTS owner and had previously referred MTs to the company because of the owner. I said so in my OP. The only unpleasant experience was when I was fired. I did not find the owner to be a "mad woman" like another poster. I had no terrible issues with the management team that I mentioned here - unlike someone who said they were "double dipping and cherry picking" the MT work as a side job with TTS.

I did not post on this board before my TTS firing story on May 1. I came here to look at the job board and the company board to see if there was any feedback on other companies now that I am in the job market because I was fired by TTS. I found the posts about TTS where others felt TTS was not a good company. That is why I decided to post my personal experience.

If you are that paranoid that you think every post criticizing TTS was created by me, you need help and you also need to face facts about TTS.

When I was happy at TTS, I never posted here. I didn't give a care what people thought of the company. I had no vested interest in defending TTS decisions or management and I do wonder what MT would care about TTS reputation enough to post on MT Stars and attack other MTs. It's not like you are going to lose work if MTs feel they were treated badly by TTS and post about it. It meant nothing to me if TTS was criticized. I simply didn't care one way or the other.

I did not experience altercations or disagreements with anyone UNTIL I got fired.

You really need to get a grip. I don't know why you are in denial or can't accept the truth. The truth is many people over the course of days/weeks have been posting about TTS. I did not post here UNTIL I got fired and my post was meant to be a warning that a TTS employee can and will be fired for an error.

Open you mind and your eyes. Face reality. The truth will set you free.

Yeah, what a coincidence - LOL!
[ In Reply To ..]
hmmmmm.......no management here, nope, not at all....LOL....
Too funny. I picture mad woman owner losing track of her screen name - red
[ In Reply To ..]
Which of her screen names said what and when? Are posts too close to one another? Oh no matter just so all screen names are happy, happy, happy employees of TTS.
Uh...yeah...that made sense.... - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Mad woman owner of TTS - red
[ In Reply To ..]
Sense? Of course it made sense. Mad women always make sense and all employees of TTS are happy, happy, happy. What doesn't make sense about that? We are friggin happy at TTS I tell you.

Exactamundo! - LOL!
[ In Reply To ..]
;-)
Reminds me of that scene in The Stepfather... - Where he 4got who he was, lol!
[ In Reply To ..]
Too much identity confusion posing as other people. Thanks for the giggle!

Similar Messages:

My Story
Mar 03, 2013

When I was 50 years old, I got fed up with making a low salary, so I decided to go back to school. I started University of Phoenix and majored in IT.  This past December, at 54 years old, I graduated. Before I graduated, I started getting scared that at my age I would not find an entry level job in a young male dominated industry.  I had a few really bad interviews. A week ago, I was hired as an IT Project Manager, and this year I will make close to $100,000. My last several paychec ...

Same Old Story
Mar 29, 2015

Same old story--lost my good hourly-paying, direct-employee job and wondered what to do next. I started looking into records because to me it seemed a good move for a transcriptionist to make. It took some time but I did get a job in records--and I hate it.  I'll do my best and learn what I can, but now I'm glad I didn't spend time and money getting certified in records before having actually worked in it. It might be worth trying another records job elsewhere, since eac ...

FTR Success Story
Mar 15, 2010

Ok... I made it thorugh my first day of FTR with no QA markers sent to QA or client and no guessing.   Look at how smart I am MedQuist!!!  I just did not realize my own potential until you dangled the 3 cpl pay cut in front of my nose.   Mark one on my side of the board. ...

Ugh, Same Story Every Time
Nov 05, 2011

I am honest when interviewing with prospective companies/MTSOs. I tell them my experience then tell them I'm ready and able to work.  Will they have at least 1000 lines a day for me to work? Would there ever be a chance for 1500+ per day/per "shift"? Guess what?  They ALWAYS say yes. They ALWAYS say, "Oh, it's very rare we ever run out of work!  You won't find that problem HERE with us!" Guess what again?  Still ALWAYS running out of work.  Seems 500-800 ...

My Nuance Story
Apr 29, 2012

I'm not on here to bash Nuance.  I am here to tell my story ...... you take from it what you want. I have been doing MT work for 8 years.  I have worked for several national companies.  I was EXTREMELY happy with my job and then Nuance came along and swallowed up our little transcription service just like it has done to so many others.  It was not all bad .........but most of it was.  Nuance, to be fair, does offer 401K, medical benefits, and PTO, even to their pa ...

A Sweatshop Story
Dec 31, 2012

My grandmother used to tell a story about working in a dress factory in the 1950s. They started her out sewing pockets. It was piecemeal work. She had to meet quota to keep her job. If she went so much over quota, she made a bonus. When she started making bonuses on pockets, they moved her to setting zippers. When she started making bonuses on zippers, they moved her to a different station. And on it went. Work, work, work, produce, produce, produce until the whistle blew. Can't ma ...

What's The Story, MT Glories?
May 23, 2014

Hi ladies (and the occasional gent) - I haven't popped in here for a bit.  Wondering what the scoop is as far as any decent online companies to work for at this point.  I've been an onsite MT for about 3.5 years now, but my place of employment has never heard of raises and I just had a big fat financial setback.  I'm currently thinking of trying to find some part-time work online (or even full-time, if bennies are provided).  I'd love to leave this employe ...

ICs - FedEX Story
Nov 05, 2014

Maybe things will change. http://wallstcheatsheet.com/business/why-businesses-claim-their-employees-arent-employees.html/?a=viewall ...

AHDI -- My HDS Story
May 20, 2015

They really want to hear our HDS stories?  Then let's tell them.   http://www.ahdionline.org/GetConnected/Events/NationalMedicalTranscriptionistWeek/tabid/185/Default.aspx ...

Anybody Wanna Hear My Story About VR?
Apr 29, 2010

I am a small MTSO. I had a pretty big hospital account that went to ES VR 2 years ago. The fallout for the hospital has been rather profound. They offered me 16 for straight and 8 for VR. I thought at the time that I could live with that if VR made MTs faster and they could earn virtually the same as for straight typing. Well, that didn't turn out and my MTs ran like scalded dogs! I have since learned through grapevine that they are in real big trouble. The remaining few hospital MTs are ed ...

MedQuist Cindarella Story
Jul 17, 2010

The day after I got my benefits letter and learned of another dollar per hour drop in pay, my husband, who works for a government-contracted company, tells me that the (uneducated, very average) wife of his coworker got hired on as a janitor (making more than me) and took a FORK LIFT class and now has been promoted and gotten a $7 PER HOUR raise.  I am supposed to leave on vacation in a few minutes.  All I want to do is cry.  It isn't even about the money at this point.& ...

Cinderella Story For Medquist-a Little Fun
Jul 22, 2010

In viewing some of the posts on this board, I noticed that some wanted to try to create a Cinderella story for the Q.  OK, then let's have a little fun with this.  The least I can do is offer some song lyrics.   As most of you know, there have been two well known productions of this classic, one by Disney and the other by Rogers and Hammerstein.  The Hammerstein version was shown on CBS TV with Leslie Ann Warren in the title role. I offer two sets of lyrics, one f ...

Same Ol Story, Season Is Starting. NJA. Sm
Nov 22, 2010

Here in South, NJA all last night and again this morning.  Cannot get on to MQMail either to contact my CCM.   In fact nothing on the message board will come up.  I need help from Support because the QCare program will not download either and seems to have disappeared from my computer.   Anyone else with NJA last night late (11 pm on)  and even this morning.  The system says it is green light and all is go.  Yeah right.   ...

There Was A Story On The News Last Night
Oct 17, 2011

She worked as a coder at a hospital that was bought/taken over by some new HMO (don't remember the name of it), and during staff meetings, they were telling the coders to replace one symptom description, such as "dizziness/fainting" with a more generalized neurological condition, because that condition caused the insurance companies to pay the hospital more.  The condition they wanted her to put was something rarely seen, one doctor said he saw 2 cases in ...

So What's The Story On Amphion? Good Or Bad?
Oct 20, 2011

Would love to hear the scoop on Amphion from anyone who works there or has recently worked there.  I'm thinking about applying there.  How is the pay, software, and benefits, and is there plenty of work?  Thanks in advance for any info I can get! ...

Wanting To Leave MM? Here's My Story
Jun 05, 2012

I started back when it was DDI. Anyone remember that? We had 2 accounts, 1 primary, 1 secondary. We rarely were without work. I absolutely loved it and we ALL KNEW our accounts inside and out. Changes came the last few years and not all good. You all know how difficult working for MM is so I won't go into that. Two summers ago I "thought" and was lead to believe, I would be able to work part-time at my local hospital. I was continuously told it all "looked like a go." For 5 months it "looke ...

What's The Real Story With Nuance
Oct 15, 2012

I see a lot of ads for Nuance lately and it seems like there are MTs saying there is no work for them.  What is the real scoop?  Just want to know if it would be worthwhile to apply to them or if I would be sitting around with no work.  Not a big fan of big MTSO... but needing some work and willing to compromise if I must.  Thanks in advance!  ...

Please Share Your Success Story On Getting
Sep 30, 2013

I still have a good 15 months left of school, at least, and this place is just killing me mentally, emotionally, physically.  I love studying for my classes, though I have such little time for just that, because it is going to lead me to a life without MM, but I need your inspiring stories.  Share anything and everything you are willing to about your escape, please.  Hopefully there will be many responses because my intent is to then bookmark this page and refer to it often when I ...

A Rare Story Of Hope....
Mar 12, 2014

I worked for my local hospital for 11 years. I decided to start working from home and went with OmniMed (great company out of Fargo). Not long after, they were bought out by MedQuist. That began the downhill slide that got worse and worse. My work was outsourced to India. I then went to Spheris which was great at first, but then that work disappeared and they were bought out. On to TTS (nightmare). Then to Landmark (no work). I was going to get out of this business FOR GOOD when I saw an ...

Problems At Spheris? Online Story.
Dec 30, 2009

Medical transcription company Spheris Inc. missed a Dec. 15 interest payment to bondholders, sources confirmed to NashvillePost.com. See oink below.   ...

Although I"m Not Surprised To Read This Story, I AM
Mar 16, 2010

- the medical transcription schools, weren't mentioned.  Most likely it's because more people the below-mentioned classes than MT.  Still, it's proof that when times are hard, there are vultures out there preying on those who are just trying to get by:   One fast–growing American industry has become a conspicuous beneficiary of the recession: for–profit colleges and trade schools. At institutions that train students for careers in areas like health ...

If You Are Unhappy With Your Company And Pay, Contact CNN To Get Your Story Out
Nov 05, 2010

If you want to get the word out, start with CNN.  Below is a small part of an article about declining income in the United States.  They asked for people to give their stories.  Any Takers?  http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Washington-DC-posts-highest-cnnm-1741487299.html?x=0   Nationally, income dropped by 2.1% to $50,221 in 2009.  Accounting for some of that decline was shorter work weeks: The median time at the job fell by 36 minutes to 38.4 hours from 39. The ...

Journalist's Story And Wanting Quotes
Sep 14, 2011

S.E. White, I would hope would have said the name of the paper she is writing this article for and if quoted where we can find it, if all is legit.  She posted this question on the Tuesday it was supposedly due at 2 a.m. She was looking here at MTStars for an article due by noon that same day?  Hummm.  Questionable, but then again nobody would believe we have to have a report done in 2 hours for 4 cents either, and the patient still will not get the results from the doctor in ...

Contacting Someone With The MT Story And Greedy MTSOs.
Aug 04, 2013

This lady might get interested in the MT vs MTSO greed issue if enough people contact her. I've already done it, but it's going to take several people, especially those of you who work for the top 2 greedmongers. You very likely can do it anonymously, give it a try and see. The lady who wrote the article is in this post: http://general.mtstars.com/357551.html Click on her name as the author, and it gives you a contact option. ...

CBS Evening News Did An Even Bigger Story
Feb 07, 2015

Maybe this will be investigated deeply enough to reveal the travesty that our profession has become, and the role offshoring medical records plays in ID theft. ...

Archivus Calling Us Off Of Work Again. Just Nothing To Type, Same Old Story
Nov 19, 2009

I am beginning to hate the fact that I took this job.  They keep calling us off or switching us to clinic work or something else.  This is one of the worst places I have ever worked.  I am going to have to find something else.  ...

Cool Story About A Remarkable Young Woman
Jan 06, 2012

in how corporations do business.  I think sold-out American workers like ourselves could make the same changes in how they think about offshoring.  http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/06/us-usa-companies-backlash-idUSTRE80424T20120106 ...

The Future Of Coding The Cover Story Of For The Record Mag
Jan 28, 2012

Timely! Computer-aided coding and its impact upon the coding job market is the feature story of the just-released For The Record magazine. Some excerpts: "...From what I've heard from those hospitals for years now is that it's not that they need fewer coders."  Instead, Bronnert sees coders being used more effectively and at a higher skill level.  "They become even more valuable to a facility.  I don't see their roles or positions diminishing at all.  I see ...

Story On Billing And Coding On American Public
Apr 10, 2012

I just heard a story on American Public Media's Marketplace via my local NPR radio station.  There is a transcript of it online.  Very interesting, especially towards the end when they talk about how the system of billing based on codes is not cost efficient anymore with the complexity of health care and that, as insurers keep paying less and less for each code, providers dig around and find more and more codes that they can bill for on each procedure or hospital stay to make up f ...

Dianne Sawyer's Story Regarding Medical Records
Sep 15, 2012

and at the bottom there is a section for comments, I then selected re: her news show.  I asked her to do a followup regarding the off-shoring situation.  Please, let's try to get this story out!  If she gets enough emails, maybe we can make this happen.  She's the person to do it, I think.  TYIA. ...