A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Recently Graduated from MT School, Can't find a Job! - OptimisticMT

Posted: Feb 14, 2010

I have recently graduated with a certificate in Medical Transcription and am finding it difficult to find a job! I am a Respiratory Therapist full-time and just want something part-time at home for extra income and to gain experience to hopefully do transcription as a full-time career.  Can anyone give me any advice on how to go about finding employment?  I have put my application in for several jobs but my lack of experience has been a problem. I think that maybe I am just looking in the wrong places! :)

Thank you in advance,

OptimisticMT

jobs - not enough

[ In Reply To ..]
I have 35+ years experience and not getting enough work to get me any line count or a pay check, and even I am having problems finding a different job. This profession is not like it used to be and the jobs are being outsourced, offshored, and replaced by EMR. Stick with your RT and hopefully that is enough to give you a nice income, as I have a sole income with being an MT and at 57 this profession will probably not be enough to keep me going until I can retire. My income for 2009 was over 12K less than 2008 and almost 25K less than 2005. Made more money in 1980 at $13 an hour.

Try contacting the medical records at the hospital where you do RT and see if you can get your foot in the door by doing some per diem work there. That would be a good place to start as they would be able to be close if you have any questions. Kinda hard to start out at home right out of school.

Do you know of anything that didn't pay less last year? - Sincere question about job losses

[ In Reply To ..]
When I think of all of my family members and friends, I'm not seeing people in any career field who are doing well right now.

Website designers - dime a dozen - no jobs

Graphic designers - same. Lots of them. No jobs.

Homebuilders - Not good.

Drug Reps - Being laid off in huge numbers.

Nurses - Wanting out. Jobs being filled by people who barely speak English.

Teachers - Wanting out. There are jobs, but you take your life in your hands and have to deal with unruly kids and parents too.

Law - Too many attorneys not making it unless they are involved with foreclosures.

Healthcare - Even those jobs are drying up because people have lost jobs and health insurance. They can't afford to have elective procedures done.

If you want to limit it to work-at-home jobs other than medical transcription, those jobs are okay if you can find them. They last about a minute and a half.

Landscaping - The first to go when people cut back on their expenses.

Clothing Store Owners/Clerks - OUCH!

You get the point. People are struggling right now other than the ultra-rich. Let's hope 2010 will be a better year for all of us.

Good point - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
My husband is an executive (Chief Financial Officer) with over 30 years experience and made $20,000 less this past year than he did in 2008, thanks to a pay cut imposed by his company. This is happening across all job fields and levels during this recession.

A major difference, though, is that many of the professions you mention will eventually rebound back when the economy improves. I'm not at all sure MT will ever rebound. It really does feel like a sinking ship.
I think it will, but it will change again just as it always does - Sincre question
[ In Reply To ..]
Medical transcription changes every few years. First we had standard typewriters, then electronic ones, then computers, then great reference books, then electronic ones, then the fear of overseas outsourcing, then the fear of speech recognition, then jobs that left for those two came back, then some went again, then the electronic medical record, then the knowledge that not all reports can be done by point-and-click and doctors aren't going to type 8-page reports, and then it goes on and on and on. What comes next? Nobody knows, right? All we really know for sure is, the knowledge of the patient's medical record and how to find information on it is a good skill to have. We will probably have another job title in 5-10 years and will have to modify how we do our work, but hopefully we'll still be able to work from home. I think we will because it's profitable for hospitals and clinics to have us working from home so they can use that space to make money.

Re: Recently Graduated from MT School, Can't find a Job - Just Wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
In her 15 Feb 8:04 post, Jobs - not enough stated: "Kinda hard to start out at home right out of school."

I agree totally. However, the school I attended stated in its advertisement that it was possible to get a job working at home by just completing the beginners course which could take up to a year. After completing the beginners course which took about 9 months,I was told by the school that more advanced training would be needed if I wanted to work from home. When I started, I had no reason to doubt that the beginners training was enough because after all this school and others are supposedly run by experts in the MT field. I know now it is extremely difficult if not almost impossible to get work at home as a newbie even when you have sufficient training.

I've seen a few on this board who have been able to get employment, and I'm happy for them. However, consider the thousands of students like me who enrolled in MT schools and have invested a considerable amount of money as well as time hoping to be able to work from home. My reason for needing work from home employment was health related. Unfortunately, there are many current students who may not be so fortunate as to find work at home employment.

Lucky but also need to score high on testing - CareerStepGradandWorking

[ In Reply To ..]
I realize that I was very lucky to find work right away (I mean, RIGHT away) after graduation, but I scored well on pre-employment testing. That's what you need to do. All the courses in the world won't help you if you can't score at least 98% on the transcription portion of on-line tests. There are lots of companies that hire newbies - Inscribe, MQ, and lots of others. You could also consider general transcription just to earn some money while you're trying to find an MT job. There are many general transcription companies that will hire MTs, some of them outside the US - in Australia, UK, etc.

I wish the schools would start being - honest

[ In Reply To ..]
with students about this profession.

So that people will stop signing up for MT courses? Not gonna happen! NM - deb

[ In Reply To ..]
x

me either - spice

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been looking since December and no one once you without experience. I have been a nurse for 25 years. Anyone have some suggestions. I really love doing transcription.

Recent Graduate - Plugging along

[ In Reply To ..]
No you are not looking in the wrong place you are just like many of us that should have looked into MT more closely!!! I graduated in Dec and have been looking and if I would have looked into this career more closely I don't think I would have taken this as a choice. They say they have a shortage but nobody is willing to take a chance on a new graduate. Sad but true!! Just be glad that you have another career some of us foolishly thought this would be our career. It is hard to have to pay off tuition on a career you can't get a job in!!

jobs - mickey

[ In Reply To ..]
Just keep trying - MT daily also has jobs listed. There are sometimes posts for newbies, but they only pay around six cents a line, but whatever can get your foot in the door, you should try. Apply, apply and apply...what do you have to lose? Spheris is really good for beginners - I was with them for a few years and now I work for private companies that pay more, but Spheris gave me the opportunity and experience I needed.

Spheris - see notice

[ In Reply To ..]
Spheris is going through bankruptcy, so check on that before applying there, or see where they are going.

RE: Recently graduated from MT school, Can't find a Job! - Sadiebug523

[ In Reply To ..]
I can feel your pain. I took a MT course with my community college and it took me close to 2 years to find a job. But I found one. I worked for Sten-Tel in their extern program and got my experience there. From there I got an in-house hospital job until we were outsourced to Medquist. You can get a job but you have to be patient. I put in applications to many national companies even though I didn't meet the requirments, and some allowed me to test for them. Eventually I did well enough to get on with Sten-Tel. You just have to keep putting you application out there. Also, solicit your local doctor's offices and hospitals. Offer to do overflow work or fill in for vacations to get some experience under you belt. Good luck to you. You will find a job.

It is not easy, was not easy back in 2002 when - sm - HLINVA

[ In Reply To ..]
I stated. I just applied everywhere I could and took every test I could. Landed a job in about six weeks of completing my course. I did not stop there and soon landed 3 in all small part-time IC jobs. So that was great for me in terms of experience. I am nervous now as I fear my MTSO losing the account I am on, I am finally making my goal salary and don't want to lose that. I used to be diversified but now do 4 docs of the same account. I used to have another IC job too, I have always liked to have 2, so if one blew up I had another to fall back on, but I left my staple back up when my "new" better paying IC job took off with a good work load and my old IC job/MTSO has since gone out of business from what I can tell. I need to call the former manager at home and see what happened as the office numbers do not work any more. Sad, it was a good company, but paid less than I wanted to make unfortunately. So lost my safety net as I'd rather work for them for less pay than no pay, and I know they would have taken me back if I ever wanted to. I suspect they lost their main hospital account and that was probably the end for them because of that. --- so that is the sad story for the smaller MTSO's. But as suggested you have an in where you are now, try to use that to your advantage. Or apply at small local MTSO's who would be willing to start you out slow and simple and go from there. But you will need to fill out many applications and take many tests before you hit paydirt.

just keep applying - ggmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Just keep applying over and over again. If someone doesn't reply to your resume, email them again after 30 days. Find places online that test and test for them to get the practice.

I will tell you that it mostly doesn't matter what your other qualifications are, employers see you as either newbie or experienced. The other issue is that it's all about luck. I only got my job because I just happened to email a company the day they needed someone. That's why you have to keep applying. Good luck.

ggmt - Typin_away

[ In Reply To ..]
Congrats on your job!!

Similar Messages:

Where Can I Go To Find A JOB As A Newly Graduated MT??????
Apr 02, 2014

I just graduated the MT and Editor program through Everett Community College. Where can I go to find a JOB????? Any suggestions???? Thanks! ...

Bus Driver Said She Graduated From Medical Billing/coding School
Sep 25, 2012

and the reason she's driving a bus is because she hasn't been able to find a job as a coder since graduation. I asked her if she took her certification exam yet, and she said no. I didn't say anything but maybe this is the reason why she hasn't gotten hired yet. ...

Help Been Out Of School Since August And Still Cannot Find A Job!!!
Jun 19, 2012

Hello, I have been trying to get a job since I graduated last year from Kaplan University Online. I take the online test and fail some how everytime I do it. I have went as far as to screen shot the test in progress just to research the answers ( I found a few mistakes). Yet my main concern is the transcription portion. I can never seem to format it properly. I use my school books and online reference tools and I feel I am still doing something wrong. Now im looking for online help and a corres ...

I Just Graduated
Mar 20, 2013

I just graduated from Career Step's MT curriculum with Honors. I'm looking around for jobs now but I'm very nervous.  What is I'm too slow or I am not as accurate as they want me to be? Will companies be more understanding to inexperienced transcriptionists who just went to school? Also I was scrolling down the forum and a lot of people are saying no one is hiring. Is that true? ...

Just Graduated... Any Advice????
Jan 05, 2010

I know that the MT world is starting to get difficult to find gainful employment, but I am a recent Honors graduate.  Do any of the experienced MT's have any advice of getting into the business?  I really have my heart set on making this work.  So any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.  Maybe, if you would have some names of companies that are willing to take a chance on a newbie.  I hope that everyone had a wonderful Holiday Season.   ...

Haven't Even Graduated...
Jan 11, 2010

..well, I'm really close to finishing. It seems as though, based off things said here, I've made a bad decision. Oh well, I'm almost done, so I mine as well finish and sit for the RMT exam. I actually am applying to school for respiratory therapy. Any newbie's have anything positive to say about their experiences getting started as an MT? I hate to have a negative attitude, that's really not how I am, but sometimes you have to be realistic. I'll still apply to MT jo ...

Newly-Graduated MT
May 27, 2010

I'm a newly-graduated MT - I just graduated 4 weeks ago. I'm feeling really nervous, reading all the postings here, because it sounds like I chose the wrong field to go into. And I had to spend my IRA funds for these classes, too! I went through a 1-year certificate program (it actually took me two years to finish because of the way classes were scheduled). I feel it was thorough education - anatomy/physiology, pharmacology, lab/diagnostic tests, human diseases, medical terminology, ph ...

Verifying A MD's Name When I Saw He Graduated From
Nov 09, 2010

I kid you not!  Made me think of the movie Annie.  My daughter loves that movie and there's a character named Punjab who wears a turban and levitates objects.  Made me chuckle. ...

For Those Of You Who Have Graduated From Andrews
Jan 19, 2012

Are any of you actually working as coders? ...

Graduated Have Not Taken My CPC Or CCS Exam Yet
Jan 01, 2013

Hello everyone. I graduated last Sept with my coding degree and intend to take my CPC or CCS certification test or possibly both eventually. I am wondering if anyone who is currently coding has been able to had a hard time finding their 1st position out of school ? My school was not helpful when it came to career services and the hospital where I interned was too small to hire me after graduation. I have applied to some of my local hospitals only to be told you have to have minimum of 2 years ex ...

Medtrans MT School? Anyone Heard Of This? Looking To Start MT School That Is Affordable.
Dec 21, 2011

:) ...

Has Anyone Graduated From U.S. Career Institute?
Jul 10, 2010

I'm currently studying MT at this school at home and I love it but from reading some posts, it looks as tho jobs are hard to find?  Is this true? ...

Newly Graduated MT..and Scared
May 04, 2011

So the second week of April I got my graduation certificate in the mail from At-Home Profession's Medical Transcription Program. I am excited, I am ready for some MT work. I have been applying to places online and have sent out introduction letters to 20 different clinics and doctors offices with my information and business cards. Most places that are looking for MT's on this website require at least 1 year of experience and I can understand that. I am a newbie and no one likes to carr ...

Graduated From Andrews About A Week Ago
Jul 28, 2011

I graduated from Andrews about a week ago and am thrilled to say I got a job already! I had only sent out 4 resumes and took 1 test. I am posting just to show there are jobs out there for newbies and of course it does matter where you go to school I think. So newbies stay positive and you will find a job! ...

Graduated About A Year Ago From Andrews
Jun 17, 2012

I graduated about a year ago from Andrews, but was needed to care for an elderly family member. I can now work, but am having a hard time because of no experience and a year out of school. Any suggestions? Thank you! ...

Newly Graduated, Again Is There A Company That Hires New MTs
Jul 11, 2010

From this board, one would assume that there are quite a few graduates out there looking for jobs. I find myself in this uneviable position. Are there companies who hire new grads? I am beginnning to believe that are none.   ...

Average Lph Count For Newly Graduated Mt?
Sep 16, 2012

What is an average Lph count for newly graduated mts?   ...

Newly Graduated. Searching For Companies
May 14, 2013

I recently graduated MT school from Career Step and I'm in the process of looking up companies that would be good to apply for. I have a small list of potential companies but I would rather not apply without any feedback on the company first. I'd rather not be offered a job and take it not knowing anything about them. If you know anything (good or bad) about the following companies I would greatly appreciate your input! MedScribe TriStar RI Transcription Quality Transcripti ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

I Can't Find The AHIMI Salary Survey. Anyone Know Where I Can Find This?
Dec 20, 2011

TIA ...

Coding School - Considering Going To A School
Sep 22, 2011

I am an MT who is considering going to school for coding.  I am thinking about taking the course through Andrews and will probably start next year because I will have to save up some of the money.  I am wondering if you think coding may eventually go the way of medical transcription and be outsourced to India.  I do not think it will so I just wanted to get the opinions of other coders.  I realize it will be a hard course but I think it will be worth the effort.  Any thoughts would be appre ...

For All The MTs Who Have Recently Been Let Go, Can You
Nov 05, 2012

please post how much you got paid per line.  I think that really is why you all were let go because you made too much per line.  We can narrow it down to that if you would all post how much you made.  Thanks ...

Recently!
May 25, 2013

raise! Hopefully it's across the board! ...

NJA Recently?
Apr 11, 2014

Just wondering how the NJA problem is since 60 of us have moved on.  We've had 2 new ILP accounts to QA (which are horrible) and 1 group hospitals that have come back from ILP land, but only recieved a small handful of MTs to compensate.  My BOB has been swamped for the past week with late jobs every night.  My TSM says that her manager said that there isn't anybody who can help out.  I was just wondering if he/she is just too lazy to actually look.  I know the ...

Recently Finished
Apr 29, 2011

I just recently finished my MT course through At-Home Professions and Im just waiting to hear back on my final. I feel that I have done well as far as the terminology and looking things up but Im still not comfortable with my punctuation. Does anyone have any advice? ...

To Those Who Have Recently Been Bought By MQ And Still
Dec 07, 2011

working on your accounts from your bought-out company, are you consistently running out of work? We were told things would not change for a while but I'm running out of work all the time.  I tried to apply for SUI this morning online but with this particular situation, I could not answer some questions to complete application so  I have to go down there, which I am getting ready to do.  I don't want to quit but this is getting extremely frustrating punching in and n ...

Anyone Else Experience This Recently?
Aug 31, 2012

For the past month, I've applied for an MT position with almost every MTSO who posts a job.  I've tested with all of them, and I don't get a call back. This is a new thing for me.  I've been in the industry over 20 years, have done every specialty plus QA. In the past when I've looked for a job I've found one in only one day.  What's up? ...

For Those Who Have Left Recently, Did You Get Your PTO
Nov 16, 2012

I am giving the 2 weeks' notice but I'm curious when they payout the PTO.  TIA! ...

Patient First Recently
Nov 19, 2013

Hi. I was contacted recently by PF, tested again in person, set up for training (which was later rescheduled but is apparently still on), and told I have the job, but so far I have been utterly unable to get anything like an actual offer letter or anything STATING the terms of employment, like pay, PTO, basic benefit info, etc. (and I have asked and asked). Is this normal for them or a recent development? Everything they have TOLD me in person and on the phone has been just what the PF employees ...

Anybody Who Quit Recently, Can You Tell Me
Mar 26, 2014

Just planning ahead.  Thanks. ...