A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is this profession even worth it? - txgirl

Posted: Nov 19, 2010

I have to say this is my first time to this website and I am deeply discouraged by the forums I have read because it sounds like this line of work is basically dying a slow death. I am currently enrolled in a community college and am about to finish getting my certificate ( I am in my last class which is practice/internship) to become a Medical Transcriptionist but I'm beginning to wonder if it was worth it? I already had fears because of accounts going offshore and EMRs but reading some of the posts just confirms my fears. It sounds like unless your a veteran don't waste your time. The idea of working at home is not realistic anymore (which is why I got into this profession in the first place). Even working in an office doesn't seem to make much more money than someone working without a certificate at any job. It's very frustrating because it took me a while to get through all of these courses only to find out there's really nothing out there anymore. I don't have the time to start over and go back to school for a completely new certificate/degree in something else. Even if I do get a job it sounds like I shouldn't get too comfortable or secure because the first people to go in an office are the transcriptionists when there are budget cuts. I don't mean to be such a downer but it's hard to look on the upside of everything I've been realizing lately. Is it worth getting into coding and billing? Some of the classes I have taken are the same so I would only need about 6 extra classes to do that.

Sorry for the rant. I'm nervous and scared because I used up so much time and money only to find there's no jobs for a newbie. Frown Even the job postings say things like "No newbies" or they want "---- years of experience". Thanks ahead of time for any advice and listening to my rant!

Not worth it - Disappointed

[ In Reply To ..]
I went through the Careerstep course. Had a job in 2 days after graduating. Problem is that the pay is so low I can't see how anyone can make a living. Most of the companies are VR now. They pay about .025 cents per line. I'm pretty fast and my QC reports come back 99-100% and I'm making about $2 per hour!! forget this profession and move on - that's what I'm doing.

There is a wide range and some do better than others - as with in any career

[ In Reply To ..]
It's easy to pick up a job really fast, but not all of those pay well or are worth having. Some are though and some medical transcriptionists are doing very well. We are definitely seeing a 'culling out' period right now. It used to be that people would tell each other how great it was to sit around in their 'jammies', take care of their children, watch a few soaps, do a little bit of laundry, and crank out as many lines as possible with the distractions of friends calling to chat or coming over for coffee. Those times are over. There is no doubt about it. The jobs that are left take more expertise, focus, and it is definitely not a job to do in your spare time.

Thanks for the insight... - txgirl

[ In Reply To ..]
I never went into this profession thinking I could sit around all day and maybe spend 2 hours a day then get paid a great salary. I always knew that if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is so I never bought into the "flexible schedule" stuff they always push. I've always been a hard worker so I'm not afraid of putting in my dues. I just hope someone gives me a chance and I'm also nervous about what it's like to actually work the job because I know school can only prepare you so much...
the flexible schedule depends on the job - sm - BTMT
[ In Reply To ..]
If true IC you can work whenever as long as the work is in by deadline. I can work any time I want as long as I meet the MTSOs TAT requirement. I split mine up as working 8 solid hours just won't work me and my kid's schedules. I work late nights a lot, or get up very early sometimes in order to meet TAT. But I get it done and still can be there for my family, though really tired sometimes, and tend to nap on some days during the day when I have no work coming in. Obviously if you work as an employee you do not have the flexiibilty unless you work a split shift (did that too, hated it). IC is what works best for me and it all depends on what you need in a MT job. Everyone is different in their needs and wants in that respect.

billing/coding - nycmt

[ In Reply To ..]
i agree with everything you've said, about the future, the difficulty finding work, etc.

i know the whole situation totally sucks, but if i were you, i'd get those 6 extra classes and try for a billing/coding career. at least you'll have a lot of clerical medical education behind you, so someone will see that on a resume and might be impressed.

one worst case scenarios? you get hired in patient registration at a hospital, you make more money than you would transcribing from home for an MTSO, the benefits are better, etc. and work your way into a billing/coding job.

best case? someone hires you as a newbie for billing (or transcription, since now you'd have both opportunities).

good luck! it's tough out there!

But remember the huge difference between a billing job and a professional coding position - Big Difference

[ In Reply To ..]
If you decide to go into billing, not much training is needed or even expected or recognized. Coding is a whole different animal. You'll want more than a few lessons in coding with lots of extra 'non-coding' topics thrown in to beef up the class. If you go for coding, go for solid training that prepares you for certification, which is what employers (hospitals that pay benefits, etc.,) want. If you want a quick fix, go for a quick community college course in something like Medical Assistant or Medical Administrative Assistant. It all depends on if you want a long-term career or something fast and with less potential for future job growth.

An interesting talk from a Medical Assistant who knows as much (she says) as the nurses and doctors - Choices

[ In Reply To ..]
I went to a meeting where the community college chose a "successful" graduate talking about how much she loves her job as a Medical Assistant. I was really impressed until she started sharing what she was taught. The school representatives sat there beaming as she went on telling about her experience and selling the course for them.

She was taught that as a Medical Assistant, she knew as much as not only the nurses, but the doctors. She was qualified, she said, to do those jobs, because that's what her instructors had taught her. That's just a sign of the times these days. Whatever courses you take, make sure that the people teaching you didn't 'just graduate' and start teaching. Make sure they have a few years of success behind them in what they are teaching you to do. Also make sure they have a reasonable expectation of what the job is. For example, it was insane to think that this woman who just finished a community college course in medical assisting should be told she knows as much and can do the job of the doctors and nurses. Where is the common sense?!

Also, before you tell me that this is one person with a weird outlook, NO! She is the one the school chose to represent the school in promoting that career field.

Thanks for the advice - txgirl

[ In Reply To ..]
That's the way I was looking at it because I figured even if I don't necessarily get a job in my field maybe it will get me noticed and I could still get a good job somewhere. I was also worried about the stability because I always hear about medical transcriptionist being the first to go at an office so I guess I'll just have to see.

My perspective - Another MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been a transcriptionist for 35 years. I have worked at home and on site and currently work on site. I would have to ask you what your expectations were when you decided go become a transcriptionist. One thing you need to know is that no one who is inexperienced begins at the top of the pay scale, and that is true in any job. I would have to say that working at home can be difficult and I would not recommend it for a beginner. It's straight production and it would be difficult to meet your line count and QC expectations. I would suggest trying to find something with a clinic, hospital or doctor's office on site at an hourly wage until you learn what you are doing, then try to work at home. I don't mean to sound harsh but there's a big difference between school and the workplace. Take what they offer you, be thankful for the opportunity and learn all you can. The jobs are still out there, my local hospital has 2 openings now. Take what you read on the message boards with a grain of salt, there are a lot of basically unhappy people here. When I first started working fresh out of school I was hired as a "trainee" in a hospital transcription department. I got paid very little but was eager to learn and stayed with that employer for 5 years. That experience opened up a lot of opportunities for me and I've had some really great jobs. I'm not giving up on transcription because I love it, and still learn new things every day. If money was what motivated you in the first place, you are definitely in the wrong field. I'm sorry to say but coding is difficult too and the work at home opportunities there are even less than for transcription. If you are at a community college, find out if they have a placement office, perhaps they can help you find your first job. You may need to go door to door, landing a job is hard work. Good luck with whatever you decide.

nycmt and Another MT make very good points. - My 2 cents

[ In Reply To ..]
You did not say how old you are or what prior experience you have; however, you seem to be dedictated to some type of work in the medical field to put in the time and money that you already have. If you are looking to work at home because you have small children, the reality is that you are not going to make much money, but perhaps you do not need to if it is more important that you stay at home. Do know that if you choose to pursue a career in this field at home, it will be a long time before you make "good" money. There are so many specialties to learn, BOS to learn, and then the different company platforms, VR, and account specifics. This is not impossible, but hard. You seem dedicated and motivated so perhaps you should try this job market before moving on to something else since you have already invested time and money into it. You will soon find out if this is for you or not. If not, and if you are still young enough, then as a previous poster said, go for those additional 6 credits and look for a job in-house.

MT professon - HappyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been an MT for 25+ years. Yes, these boards are discouraging most days. Yes, I'm employed my MQ and yes I'm earning a decent living and happy with my job. Its not a piece of cake however, I work "harder" now than I ever have to make that decent wage and simply exhausted at the end of my shift. I "usually" have plenty of work and even offered OT occasionally. I do agree, however, that getting your certificate does NOT prepare you for this job market and only after several years of actual work experience can you become very fluent with the naunces of dictation and specialty fields. This only comes with several years of typing. Get your experience in an "on-site" location where there will be another set of "ears" to help. Ya will no doubt need it for a minimum of 3-4 years. Good luck!

Age & Experience - txgirl

[ In Reply To ..]
I am 24-years-old and have no work experience but I am working in a simulated work environment/Capstone for my final class to earn my Medical Transcription certificate. I do have a 6-year-old that is in school so I thought working at home would allow me to still be available for my daughter and get my work done while she was at school. Money is definitely an issue because I'm recently divorced and don't have too many people to depend on so that's why I thought this was an option. I never thought it would be easy or I would make ridiculously good money but I thought it would be a start and I could work my way up. I'm really nervous about what work will really be like, whether I'm working at home or in an office. I need a job that offers stability and I'm worried since everything is going offshore, speech recognition, or EMRs will basically steal my job before I can really begin. Thanks for the advice.

Expections - txgirl

[ In Reply To ..]
I understand that to get good pay you have to work your way up. I never went into this profession thinking I would be making a whole lot of money especially being a newbie. I also understand what you are saying about school and real work experience being two different animals. That's another concern I have because I don't know what to expect when I start out, whether it be in an office or at home? As I stated in another post I don't buy into the whole "make your own hours and get paid good money" stuff, I've learned that if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. I didn't get into this thinking I could sit around all day.
Unfortunately my school doesn't offer job placement so I'm on my own.
Thanks for the advice.

on the money side of things when you do land - sm - BTMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I doubt you will make more than $1K a month. I think I made $700 a month at first, took me 8 years to work up to $2500 a month-- part of that is experience the other is finding a job that clicked with me. So obviously if you have to live off of this on your own, it is just not possible unless you are living rent-free and your ex is paying you good child support, which I really hope is the case.

That's true. Some schools don't help at all, probably for good reason - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Schools either have people who hire their graduates or they don't. Well, some of them have people who will almost automatically, with no testing, hire their graduates at very low pay with absolutely no chance for future advancement and experience that won't help in future jobs. If your school has no job placement assistance at all, it's probably because they can't find employers who are willing to hire their graduates. Short courses/community college MT courses usually don't provide placement help for that reason.

No...sm - SassyPants

[ In Reply To ..]
I went back to school in 2005 for MT. I wanted to "stay at home and be a mom but still make money for myself with an "easy" job". Quote unquote.

Graduated 2007. Was offered an in-house position with the hospital I interned with but turned them down to stay home. STUPID! They pay hourly and benefits.

Got another offer in-house. Turned that one down b/c it paid less than my office job. STUPID!

Got 1st "big break" in 2008 with 1st MTSO as an IC. Working weekends, holidays, no benefits, first paycheck was less than $100. STUPID!

Got "2nd chance" with current MTSO. Paid $10/hr during 90-day probation, and have yet to make that now since switching to production pay. Only Pro is the insurance benefits.

I, too, even had it in my head that I was going to not work in an office anymore and stay home with my babies and work PT and make a little extra money and the whole June Cleaver life.

Well, no babies to date either.

Told every nay-sayer that they were wrong about EMR and VR taking our jobs away, very angry and defensive about this profession, and now I couldn't agree with them more.

I originally wanted to go back to school for x-ray tech (or whatever the PC term is) but was told that profession was even worse. IDK if it is or not.

Fast forward to 2010 and I'm miserable. I left a $14/hr office job with a 1-hour drive to stay home b/c I wanted to not drive in the winter anymore and save alot on gas and etc, but now I wish I could go back there.

I even tried applying back at the TWO hospitals that offered me in-house that I turned down BOTH to stay home. STUPID AGAIN!! and I couldn't get back into either one.

So my advice is either A) Do not enter this profession at all especially at home or B) Only work in-house!

Unless you're a "real housewife" of some big city, you will not make any kind of life for yourself with this (lack of) income.

Both MT and coding are very hard to break into - sm - BTMT

[ In Reply To ..]
now unless you have friend in MT or coding already that can get you into where they work. I have been doing it for close 10 years and it was hard then but not as hard as it is now. I got very lucky and landed my first job about 6 weeks after completing my MT program after applying to about 30 places (and in case you don't know you will just a have a certificate in MT, not be a certified MT, totally different things). But if you have no connections/networked friends in MT then you will have a hard time, not impossible of course, just very hard. You will need to just apply, apply and apply, take as many tests as possible and just keep pushing until someone gives you a chance. My work will hire newbies rarely. I was able to get a friend a job with my MTSO due to my recommendation but otherwise I doubt she would have been able to find one quite so easily. My previous employer hired newbies too (was one of my first IC jobs) but they unfortunately lost their hospital account about 18-months ago to Medquist and went out of business due to that. They are out there, just hard to find. Someone listed on here recently MTSOs that hire newbies, look for that posting and see if you have any luck there.

Similar Messages:

Our Profession
Jun 12, 2010

When I look at our profession now -- what it has devolved into -- and compare its present condition with how it was just 20 years ago, the contrast is STAGGERING. With enhanced technology, medical transcription -- and, by extension, patient care -- should have improved by leaps and bounds, both in terms of TAT and QUALITY.  Only half of that has been met: the decreased TAT.  QUALITY has been compromised to such a degree that it is SHAMEFUL.  My current employer has ...

New Profession
May 02, 2013

i am waiting until i have three weeks of vacation saved up untiil i can start a nurses aid training course.  it may be foolish, but i am paying my tuition to them in increments so i will not have such a big bill when the tuition comes due.  they start classes once a month. i have been appling for jobs all over the place, not transcription.  i do get a lot of "thanks but no thanks" form letters.  i am getting discouraged. i am on the sunny-side of 60 (59 next month) and hopi ...

I'm Out Of This Profession!
May 29, 2014

I start a new non-transcription job next week.  Today is my last day at this lousy company and I am finally doing what I've dreamt about doing for a long time - I'm typing everything EXACTLY as the doctor is dictating it.  They want verbatim, they are getting verbatim.  I'm not fixing a single thing and I just don't care at all. It's wonderful! Let the doctors see how idiotic they sound sometimes.  And don't anyone bother to admonish me about how ...

Need Advice: Considering The Profession
Jan 28, 2010

Hello, I sure would appreciate your guidance!  I am trying to change careers and am in the process of deciding what to go to school for.  I thought MT would be a great idea and suited my lifestyle, but a lot of what I read here tells me the profession is shrinking, and newbies out of school struggle to find work.  (I am in FL, with huge medical demands, btw.) What I had planned, was to complete my course (local community college online) and find entry level work, if possible.&nbs ...

We Need To Demand More Pay As A Profession
Aug 06, 2010

Just need to vent. I have been a medical transcriptionist since the late 1980s and I have seen the trend to cut our pay consistently over the years. It look over 20 years for me to gain the experience I have, in most specialities I might add.  It is very disconcerting to have a company offer 7 to 8 cpl with my experience.   Now, with voice recognition (which it seems most of the larger companies out there have), our pays are cut even more so.  I might add, at least for me, ...

Getting Out Of MT. Which Profession Would You Pursue?
Mar 18, 2011

I have narrowed it down to medical diagnostic sonographer (2 year degree, not sure what degree name is) or AA degree in Health Information Management (RHIT). ...

Are There Any MTs That Are Happy With This Profession?
Apr 24, 2012

I was researching this profession, thinking maybe it was something I wanted to do. But it seems like everyone already in this field dislikes their job. ...

Been A While Since I Left The Profession
Aug 27, 2012

It's been 7 years. Thinking of doing an at-home AHDI program for "recent" experience. Are experienced MTs having difficulty finding jobs? I read a post of an experienced MT on this board claiming to have difficulty finding work. That was not the case when I left this profession 7 years ago. There were more jobs than qualified MTs to fill them. What has happened? ...

This Profession Is Pathetic
Jun 23, 2013

Cannot believe it, I am 60 years old, been doing this almost 40 years and I sat down last night and really checked things over and now with NJA all the time, my monthly bills are not covered by my 2 pay checks a month.  I do not have a high mortgage ($240 a month, can't rent a room for that), I have basic cable that is bundled with the internet (which we all need to do this job), the very minimum of phone bill ($40), and have to pay for my own health insurance (as my company  ...

The MT Profession Has Really Gone Down The Tubes
Oct 30, 2013

The MT profession has really gone down the tubes.  I have no desire to do this anymore and that's why I've been training for other things.  These Quality Control people have nit picked to the point I just cannot stand it anymore (forgetting "the" or taking out "the") and the other extremely petty crap that they ding for (and it has no bearing on patient care whatsoever).  Who wants to work like this anymore (and for the rotten pay on top of that to boot)?  It never used to be like ...

Need A Change In Profession
Jun 03, 2015

Are there any coding companies that provide on the job training?  Is schooling required to become a coder?   Are coders paid hourly or piecemeal like an MT?   I have to get out of the MT industry for obvious reasons, but I really need something that I can move straight to without going to school and still work from home.  Any information is appreciated.   Thanks! ...

Any At-Home-Profession Graduate?
Mar 28, 2010

Hi, I was wondering if their is anyone that has graduated from At-home-professions? And did you find a job right away, what was your thoughts on the school? Because I keep seeing all these posts and I am getting woried since I am in the school right now. Thanks! ...

Medical Transcription - Done With This Profession
Jun 08, 2010

My name is Carol  and I am a medical transcriptionist from Maryland.  I am very upset as I am typing this.  I am done with this profession.  I suspect that is what they want.  I have a family to feed.  No more playing games with stupid VR and accounts that sneakily send the work overseas due to corporate greed.  No person who does that could ever call themselves patriotic or American, but I bet they do.  I have been doing this and doing it well for over 20 years.  In no other vocation ...

This Is Contributing To The Decline In The Profession Too!!
Jun 22, 2010

Oh, I am so angry right now!!  I was just looking through ads and somehow ended up on Freelancer.com - people are over there BEGGING for jobs that pay $25 per audio hour (tops) or are entering bids for 35 hours of transcription at $0.20 per audio minute!!  Really?  Have you done the math?? UGH!!! The best was an Indian site that was asking for a medical transcriptionist with a 48 hour TAT paying...wait for it....wait for it....$1.50 cpl!!!!  I had the best time reading those ...

What Do List As Your Profession On Tax Forms? Sm
Mar 09, 2011

medical transcriptionist, transcriptionist, medical editor, ASR editor ?  not sure what I even am anymore other than underpaid, frustrated, and stressed beyond human comprehension (wish I could put that on the form !! HA). ...

Do You Feel Stuck In This Profession?
Sep 03, 2011

I'm feeling stuck and I just need to vent a little bit.  I have been a transcriptionist for 12 years and loved every minute of it until just the last couple of months.  I trained with the Q and really enjoyed that job.  Had a great supervisor and all was good.  I was offered an IC position with our local hospital making 0.16/line, 50 cpl with spaces.  Of course I grabbed that up.  This was 5 years ago.  2 years ago we got a new supervisor who made us all s ...

Any At-home-profession Graduates
Oct 15, 2011

I am looking for any one who has completed the AHP program and is currently employed. I need any advice you are willing to give. Thanks for your time. ...

Hang MT As A Dying Profession. I'm Going To Be MA.
Oct 30, 2012

At least MA skills can be used for other things and can be a stepping stone to other careers, and you can get a da** job almost anywhere. Sick of being sold down the river by hospitals whose administration doesn't have the stones to tell you they're getting rid of you, but throw out vague hints now and expect you to catch on, so 2 years later they can say "well we told you to look into further education..." My hospital can kiss my posterior. I'm a very darn good MT and th ...

Leap Of Faith - If You Are In The MT Profession
Oct 13, 2013

If you are in the MT profession and you just cannot seem to make a living, then this message is for you.  I took a leap of faith that I pray will pay off in the long run.  I quit!!!  I flat out quit.  Then, I got a call from Nuance and I refused to go back.  No more low payi!  No more working every Saturday and Sunday just to break even!!! No more QA audits for every T and dotted I.  NO MORE!!!!.  No more overworked supervisors sending 15 emails a day!!!!  NO MORE!!  I took a leap of f ...

At Home Profession SStudents
Mar 23, 2014

Hello. I was wondering if there any AHP students locally in the Cleveland Ohio area. I am in course book four quiz 25. I am looking for Email correspondence or getting. together and study. I have been doing this course alone part time for over two years now and it would be nice to meet other students. ...

What Have We Allowed To Happen To Our Profession?
May 22, 2014

Ladies and Gentleman MTs -- Twenty years ago I earned 7 cpl at my job as an IC MT, was treated fairly by my employer, paid weekend and holiday bonuses, as well as quan/qual bonuses.  Although hours were long, worked most holidays and weekends, I earned around $45,000/yr, about $35.00 an hour and was free to choose the hours that I worked.   Could we all just take some control over our professions, please?  Yes, being an MT is a profession.  How much specialized education, t ...

Repeat To: MT Profession Vs. Cleaning Toilets.
Oct 18, 2011

See, this is a perfect example. Great!! - So we have people willing to make the same amount doing medical transcription as cleaning toilets. That makes me feel better after 15 years of experience. No wonder this profession is in the toilet. They hire people with 1 year of experience and Cbay "stipens" their people for 6 months only then puts them in a production environment. Good luck to patients getting accurate medical records is all I can say. This will not go over in the longrun, guaranteed. ...

Lets Review For Fun The Denegration Of This Profession
Oct 30, 2012

I came on board in the 1990s, the height of the IC.  I was paid gross line count (for any newbies that is a line per line, no matter how many characters) and I was paid for everything, headers, footers, demographics, if there was a character on that line, I got paid.  Paid 10 cpl and never made anything less than 45,000 to 50,000.  No raises, but back then it was a very good salary, no ridiculous TATs, NO TIME CLOCKS and we had 24 hours to turn back in our work. Yes, TAT needed t ...

Sum CDs Worth?
Nov 25, 2009

I was a student at M-TEC and dropped out. I have all 3 SUM CDs still. One is opened and 2 are still sealed. I just don't know what these are worth and can't find anyone selling them that has a listed price anywhere. Thanks in advance for your help on this!   ...

Is It Worth It?
Feb 18, 2012

Editing at .04 cpl, is it worth it? For 250 lines per hour, that is $10 an hour. Maybe that is good considering we work at home? Seeking opinions, please. Not trying to start a war. ...

What We Are Worth
Mar 08, 2012

I invite any person of management in any MTSO to sit at their computer for an entire shift and see what we go through day after day and see if they feel they are being paid a proper, living wage.  There are way too many factors that eat into the paltry wage we start out with, and it's high time this was recognized as an occupational hazard and we are duly compensated.  It's only going to get worse, not better, if something isn't done.  Of course, I realize nobody r ...

Getting Out Is So Worth It
Mar 20, 2012

Looking for a job is terrifying, heart-in-throat time.  On the other hand...you discover there are jobs with YEARLY EVALUATIONS (yes!)...RAISES (double yes!)...PROMOTIONAL OPPORTUNITIES (I can't believe it!)...absolutely stunning, you don't realize how brainwashed you are, how hammered you are, till you GET OUT. Scared...but free. Don't think of it as shaking like a leaf.  Think of it as fluttering like a butterfly. ...

We Are Worth More
Apr 22, 2012

We are worth more in so many ways.  I am very disheartened with the way things have changed in our profession.  We used to be paid much better, and have a better chance of moving up the ladder as well.  Now we are almost at poverty level on wages.  I really don't understand how anyone can expect people who are very highly trained and specialized in this field to live on what we are being paid, or to treat us as if we are second-class citizens.  I would challenge any ...

What You Are Worth
May 12, 2012

I'm curious.  How many of you cheering on this lawsuit think that things will change in a way that you will be paid "what you are worth?"  And what are you worth?  I mean seriously?  Is someone who does a lousy job as valuable as someone who does a stellar job?  Is someone with a shoddy education as valuable as someone with a first-class education?  How about those with no formal education at all? What is it you all think you will really accomplish with a law ...

New MT Is It Worth It?
Aug 18, 2012

I graduated a year and a half ago from a very good MT school. I graduated with high honors and felt ready to tackle this profession. I wanted to do this because it has always been my dream to be a stay at home mom and with this profession I felt like I got the best of both worlds. When I researched MT are suposed to make 30K or more. So I figured as a newbie maybe 20K or even 18K. Wow was I wrong. I got hired about 2 months out of school which was a huge relief but things rapidly went down hill. ...