A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Can you believe I just got dinged for "expanding" UTI under diagnoses? - Lee

Posted: Aug 06, 2012

Has the rules changed?  I always expand disease abbreviations under the diagnoses heading? 

You are correct.... - Report that to QA lead

[ In Reply To ..]
Complete nonsense.

Depends... - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Although expansion is the way to go, I have worked places where the acct specs indicate "do not expand abbreviations in diagnosis, assessment, plan." Don't know how they get away with it. Is this acute care or office work you are doing? I have found it more prevalent in the office setting when I've moonlighted....but a rare acute care request has arisen also.

Clinic care and acct specs does not address it. - Lee

[ In Reply To ..]
I would report it....but found the last time I reported someting, I got hit with more audits than usual...so I have learned to keep my mouth shut and try to stay hidden in the background. I have learned to just let off steam and go on with making my minimum wage. The Big Guys Always Win...we "little people" don't have the money to fight them....we just keep plugging away. Sad.
When you say you got dinged, do you mean by your - Quality coach or MME?
[ In Reply To ..]
Because if the account specs do not address whether or not to expand in diagnoses section, then of course the general rule of thumb is to expand.

I would think your quality coach knows that. If it was an MME, it does not count against you so I wouldn't sweat it. Its been my experience that feedback with MMEs can be inconsistent.

I got marked for capitlizing Proteus mirabilis (sp) sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
and could document it in Dorland's. The QA/QTC people do not know what they are doing and those type of things caused ma a bad audit.

Never even look at the feedback - saves headaches

[ In Reply To ..]
Everyone seems to do thing their own way..I have taken stuff to the lead QA and she told me how to do it only to then be continually giged by the underlings,,whatever dont care

I got dinged for - changing

[ In Reply To ..]
ASR: quarter percent Marcaine.
I changed to 0.25% and got a critical error. WTH?

How in heaven's name is that a CRITICAL - ERROR?

[ In Reply To ..]
So glad I found another job. Just ridiculous. This is the dumb stuff that made me quit.

Huh. I thought this was Joint Commission or... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
...some kind of hospital accreditation rules. No?

I thought there were some JCAHO rules that apply to all hospitals. Are there some that don't follow those rules for accreditation? I was told that expanding abbreviations in the diagnoses or assessments is mandatory, to follow JCAHO rules.

Why or why do they even HAVE different account specifics for each facility???? Things like this make me crazy. If I "ruled the world" (LOL), I would tell the facilities that my MTSO follows the same rules for every account, and that's that. :-D

It makes too much sense that all facilities in this country would have some uniformity about these things. I would think doctors would LIKE that! Even if it's not the way the facility has "always done it," they can adjust to having it done the PROPER way after they get used to it....right??

Also got dinged - Mac

[ In Reply To ..]
Also got dinged and didn't even send this to QA, could not fine patient in database, left a blank and a note stating patient not in database. Another chart, dinged for not typing Full Code in all CAPS also not sent to QA. Face it folks, we can't win for losing.

Yes I can!!! - Are you kidding?

[ In Reply To ..]
I got dinged for typing a heading like this:

PORTABLE CHEST, 08/20/2012, 2035 HOURS

THE CORRECTION WAS:

PORTABLE CHEST, 08/20/2012, AT 2035 HOURS

CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT PETTY CRAP???

SO YES, I BELIEVE IT.

AND LETS TALK ABOUT THE QA WHO SAYS ONE THING, AND THEN ANOTHER QA SAYS ANOTHER!!! SO TIRED OF ONE SAYING WHEN THE DOCTOR STATE CASE DISCUSSED WITH DR. SO-AND-SO IN THE EMERGENCY ROOM SHOULD BE A NUMBERED IMPRESSION, AND THE OTHER SAYS, NO.....MAKE IT A SEPARATE PARAGRAPH WITH NO NUMBER.

WHOOOOO.....THANKS FOR LETTING ME VENT!!!

Similar Messages:

Question Regarding Expanding Out DC
Mar 08, 2013

When you are supposed to expand out DC I've always thought it as discontinue (as in meds).  In this case someone is having stitches removed and the doc says DC of stitches.  Would I be correct to transcribe discontinuation of sutures?  I can understand it, but it just looks odd to me. Thanks ...

Expanding In Impression/assessment
Aug 30, 2010

I was wondering...we are told to expand abbreviations in assessment and impression paragraphs, but what if they say the abbreviation 4 times within that paragraph? This instance is PSA. Thanks... ...

Expanding Abbreviations In Headings
Sep 19, 2012

Good morning everyone. I'm a bit confused about headings: If "GYN" is dictated in a heading, do you expand it to "GYNECOLOGIC"? I remember from my training that you do; however, I've seen reports that show it as not expanded. D ...

AutoCorrect Not Expanding After Periods. Help!
May 07, 2013

I started using AutoCorrect for my expanders. The problem is when I use them followed by a period they won't work. So "t" doesn't turn into "the" just "t." They work after any other punctuation or a space. I've scoured the internet and Microsoft forums and I can't find a thing. I've tried turning off the auto-caps and that doesn't work. Help? ...

Expanding Instatext Word Entries
Dec 19, 2009

With instatex, there are phrase entries on the left and word entries which show up on the right side. To expand the phrase entries you just hit the space bar after the short entry, but how do you make the word entries expand? And how do you choose the second on the list, or the third, ect. I cannot figure this stupid thing out, even after going through the help menu.   Thank you to anyone that can explain this!! ...

Dinged If You Do
Jan 29, 2013

We have an account on 100% QA which is checked by MMEs.  No 2 grade alike.  If the doctor doesn't dictate "Laboratory Data" so you don't put it, you get a nasty note, "'Laboratory Data' should have been inserted here."  So the next report, you put in "Laboratory Data" and get a nasty note "He DID NOT dictate this header!"  Can't win with this dirtbag scum-sucking cluster*&^% of a company. ...

I Get Dinged Because A Doctor Can't Speak
May 21, 2013

I mean seriously this catering to their stupidy is starting to get old. Granted they aren't major errors. But, my theory is if they cannot give me the courtesy of even remotely completing a sentence, much less a paragraph here lately, I am sending it through. I know I can look at the repository and figure most of the stuff out, but that is a guess at best and not a chance I am willing to take with patient care. Sick of it!!! Unfortunately, my main offenders are 100% QA accounts so QA f ...

I Was Dinged For Dividing A Run-on Sentence!
Apr 04, 2014

There was a long run-on sentence, so I made it 2 sentences. I got 25 points taken off because, and I quote, *it almost changes the meaning.* So, now you watch - I will get dinged for leaving run-on sentences! Can't win! ...

Dinged On Audit For D.O (said I Had Missing Period)
Jan 17, 2011

Yeah, welcome MQ for all the hard work I do and money I make you.  ...

Correcting Redundant Grammar And Dinged By QA
Aug 09, 2013

Okay, I just started working here and I've been trying to keep my reports perfect.  When a doctor says "past medical history," I've been just typing "medical history" because isn't past and history together being redundant?  I'm still on 100% QA and all my feedback has the "past" put back in.  I'm not on a verbatim account, so shouldn't me correcting this be okay?   ...

Getting Dinged For Missing/inserted Words
Mar 05, 2014

There have been quite a few complaints lately about getting audits back where the auditors have inserted or taken away words such as: the, of, a/an, etc. The omission or insertion of these words when not dictated is something that should be captured as an error. However, the point value for such an error usually is zero. This type of error is usually a feedback and educational opportunity error. Because they have a value of zero, you could potentially have 20 of these errors and still have ...

So Tired Of Getting Dinged For Item That Was Pended
Feb 27, 2015

I have a very low pending rate.  I very rarely have to pend, but there was a discrepancy in the header so I pended it and explained that in the box.  I get a QC1 review (I know this doesn't count but it doesn't make it any less stupid!!) with a 1.0 major error for the very thing I pended it for.  This in no way makes sense.  I requested a reversal (Know it makes no difference, it's the irritation).  I put it in the comments and asked them to please explain ...

How Many Diagnoses? Or All One?
Oct 22, 2009

DIAGNOSIS:  BILATERAL SECOND METATARSALGIA WITH HAMMERTOES TWO THROUGH FOUR ON THE RIGHT, AND HAMMERTOES TWO ON THE LEFT TIA. ...

How Many Diagnoses I Have 3 But Not Sure
Mar 25, 2010

1.  CALCANEAL CYST  2.  PERONEUS BREVIS AND PERONEUS LONGUS TEARS    3.  STATUS POST EXPLORATION OF THE PERONEAL TENDONS WITH DEBRIDEMENT AND          REPAIR OF BOTH PERONEUS LONGUS AND PERONEUS BREVIS TENDONS, AND        DEBRIDEMENT OF CYST IN THE CALCANEUS   tia. Sorry for all caps but that is how we are suppose to type it. ...

Should This Be 2 Diagnoses?
Mar 27, 2010

The doctor says it as one. tia.   1.  RIGHT DISTAL RADIUS FRACTURE 2.  POSSIBLE SCHAPHOID FRACTURE   ...

Is This 3 Diagnoses
Apr 08, 2010

LEFT LATERAL ANKLE LIGAMENTOUS INSTABILITY  PERONEUS BREVIS TEAR METATARSALGIA   TIA.   ...

Diagnoses Help
Nov 11, 2010

I need help with using numbers in diagnoses. If it is dictated as: 9 cm abdominal aortic aneurysm, do I spell out the number 9 or start the diagnosis with using the number 9? I have not found a rule for it in the usage of diagnosis. ...

Diagnoses
Feb 28, 2011

Doing a list of diagnoses ~~  History of s/l "tynaopades" HELP!! Thanks!! ...

Diagnosis Or Diagnoses
Nov 10, 2009

would this be one or two? tia.   DIAGNOSIS:  STATUS POST CHEVRON BUNIONECTOMY, FOURTH HAMMERTOE CORRECTION ...

1 Or 2 Diagnosis Or Diagnoses?
Nov 10, 2009

DIAGNOSES:             1.  LEFT ANKLE SPRAIN             2.  POSTERIOR TIBIAL TENDINOPATHY   tia. ...

1 Diagnosis Or 2 Diagnoses
Dec 05, 2009

Crush injury, right foot fracture of metatarsals   tia. ...

1 / 2 Diagnosis Or Diagnoses?
Jan 25, 2010

nonunion of the fifth metatarsal, avulsion fracture should this be 2 separate diagnoses? tia. ...

1 Or 2 Diagnosis Or Diagnoses
Apr 05, 2010

Left shoulder impingement syndrome Small partial rotator cuff tear Tia. ...

Secondary Diagnoses
May 04, 2010

I'm having a problem with this part of the diagnosis as she doesn't specify to go on to the next number, as she does with the rest of them, but I've never had someone that adds the procedures used to fix the diagnoses in this section.  This is the sentence as she says it, "1. Coronary artery disease, status post 3-vessel CABG in ___ vertebrobasilar insufficiency."  The she says "number next" and goes on to the next one. Because the previous word(s) are blanked out, and b ...

Definitely Not Secondary Diagnoses...
Jun 30, 2011

I'm having what is probably a simple problem w/ this dication.  She starts out with the principal diagnosis, lists them, and then goes on to what s/l hyograph other diagnosis.  I can't tell what she is saying. ...

Numbering DSM-IV Diagnoses
Jan 15, 2015

New to psych transcription.  For Axis I diagnoses, if we are to number the diagnoses (1, 2, 3, etc. does a "rule out" follow the diagnoses before it or does it get its own number?   Thanks! ...

Preoperative Diagnoses Format
Oct 29, 2010

I know when there are more than 1 diagnoses, you list each one separately.  How do you handle it when the dictator gives 4 separate diagnoses, then "etiology to be determined" at the end?  List everything under 1 dx, or list "etiology to be determined" as a separate dx?  Thanks. ...

LAVH-BSO On Final Diagnoses
Jan 22, 2011

I am doing a DS.  I can't believe this has never come up before (or I've forgotten!) - When typing LAVH-BSO on the diagnoses, can I use LAVH-BSO or do I need to spell it all out?  I would think LAVH-BSO would be more readable, but I know the rule is to spell it out.  I'm trying to be practical here, but it may come back to haunt me. Thanks ...

Don't Doctors And PA-Cs Know No Abbreviations In Diagnoses?
Jan 13, 2015

Why the constant slang and abbreviations in diagnoses and impressions?  Especially when it could mean more than one thing ( for example I and D) and it cannot be gleaned from the record.  Are these clinicians lazy or what. I think there should be stricter guidelines for those dictating, rather than placing the call on the MT.  I know I am preaching to the choir so to speak, but it is really getting on my nerves... ...

Do You Spell Out PICC Line In Discharge Diagnoses?
Mar 20, 2012

Do you spell out every little thing, including PICC line and IV, or is that just such common knowledge?  I'm already expanding MRSA, but I wonder about common abbrev. ...