A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

question regarding expanding out DC - in regards to sutures

Posted: Mar 08, 2013

When you are supposed to expand out DC I've always thought it as discontinue (as in meds).  In this case someone is having stitches removed and the doc says DC of stitches.  Would I be correct to transcribe discontinuation of sutures?  I can understand it, but it just looks odd to me.

Thanks

Well, you know how QA can be, but... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
If it was me, I would be O.K. with typing it out as discontinuation of sutures (or "stitches"--whichever word the dictator said); but, to me, making it "removal" of sutures would be acceptable, too. But that's just me--I'm a fan of using common sense!

If you're on a verbatim account, I would type it "DC of sutures" (or stitches--again, whichever word was dictated).

Of course, depending on your QA personnel and how they feel at the time they're reviewing a report, they could make a totally different call. :-(

Seems Fine to me - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
I would do that, just type discontinuation. It is a little awkward, but there won't be any confusion to the reader.

FYI, DC can also mean discharge, as in DC the patient tomorrow morning. I always expand that one out, too.

Similar Messages:

Expanding In Impression/assessment
Aug 30, 2010

I was wondering...we are told to expand abbreviations in assessment and impression paragraphs, but what if they say the abbreviation 4 times within that paragraph? This instance is PSA. Thanks... ...

Expanding Abbreviations In Headings
Sep 19, 2012

Good morning everyone. I'm a bit confused about headings: If "GYN" is dictated in a heading, do you expand it to "GYNECOLOGIC"? I remember from my training that you do; however, I've seen reports that show it as not expanded. D ...

AutoCorrect Not Expanding After Periods. Help!
May 07, 2013

I started using AutoCorrect for my expanders. The problem is when I use them followed by a period they won't work. So "t" doesn't turn into "the" just "t." They work after any other punctuation or a space. I've scoured the internet and Microsoft forums and I can't find a thing. I've tried turning off the auto-caps and that doesn't work. Help? ...

Expanding Instatext Word Entries
Dec 19, 2009

With instatex, there are phrase entries on the left and word entries which show up on the right side. To expand the phrase entries you just hit the space bar after the short entry, but how do you make the word entries expand? And how do you choose the second on the list, or the third, ect. I cannot figure this stupid thing out, even after going through the help menu.   Thank you to anyone that can explain this!! ...

Expanding "C2" In Diagnosis Section
Jul 07, 2011

At my company there are a few exceptions to expanding the diagnosis section (MRI, CT), but my question is when the dictator says "C2 lesion" in the diagnosis should I expand that to cervical vertebra 2 or leave as C2? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. ...

Can You Believe I Just Got Dinged For "expanding" UTI Under Diagnoses?
Aug 06, 2012

Has the rules changed?  I always expand disease abbreviations under the diagnoses heading?  ...