A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

honest question seeks honest answers - Snow Bunny

Posted: Aug 25, 2011

I've read so many messages from people who are working in jobs which they have said they are working long hours and barely making minimum wage.

If that's the case, then why do you continue working from home? Why not get an office job where you'll make more and actually have benefits?

Where? - Cheesey

[ In Reply To ..]
First, where are these jobs?

Second, I'm working from home and will receive benefits after I put in 90 days of work.

25 million under and unemployed people in the USA - Your answer

[ In Reply To ..]
You don't really know what kind of account it is until you begin working on it. Asking what the average MT makes on the account does not always get answered truthfully because a good MT on a difficult account that generates mediocre income is hard to find.

Lying and evasiveness are to be found in our industry, even in the owners who have been MTs before. Getting the team in place and the TAT met is their goal.

Profits for the MTSO is also an issue. Cost of living is going up and rather than cut back in lifestyle choices, MTSOs are taking more from their MTs and putting it in their pockets.

I know many MTs who are working 2 jobs. Being at home makes sense for many and there was a time it was compensated fairly. Outsourcing and MTSOs who think they should live like rock stars (and support their extended family at the same time in the same fashion) are making it difficult to make over 30,000 a year.

In the raving posters who come on here, describing their huge incomes and over-the-top line counts with certain companies are plants - provided by the company or the company owner themselves - to get applicants. One even answers her own comments in the posts - as if there are other MTs agreeing with her - that the company is sound and the money is good. You get hired only to find yourself making 20,000 less than your last job, faced with having to find a new employer all over again.

So, that is why.

Let's not fool ourselves, some people came to this - for "extra" money, others to

[ In Reply To ..]
avoid the demands of a "real" job in exchange for just enough to keep themselves from sliding into total destitution.

That said, also a whole lot of earnest, hard-working people have built their lives around the conditions of this work. Some planned to be at home with their children and will sacrifice to make that still possible. I used this work to move to the country, a pretty common reason. And there are plenty of others. Like taking care of a demented mom so she can live out her last years in familiar surroundings with someone who loves her.

For all of us, this is a very narrow line of work. Just a handful of years in this and you no longer have the skills for a modest job in an office; even while you feel that work and its pay are "below" your level, you're just not qualified. A whole lot of us are in this position; the average age of an MT is in the 50s. You COULD take a quick class to bring yourself "UP" to that low-pay level, but that's just not a sensible goal. Bigger thinking and serious student loans, or serious additional sacrifices, required for a proper goal, big debt incurred long before hard confirmation of need to justify it. For everyone who worries about being able are many who know they are if they have to but worry about taking a giant step that might not be necessary.

In my case, I know I can get a decent job with a half hour commute, a good one with a 50-60 minute commute. How much do I sacrifice before I move on to that? Not sure, not there yet, though I'm close enough to that break point to be scanning jobs in the city. Not because I'm close to broke, by the way, but because, like many of us, I don't work for peanuts. The women in my family are planning another "girls'" trip, this time to Greece, and I plan to go.

similar question - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
I was thinking about this all day.

I'm not sure what it is that keeps some of us from leaving the MT jobs that seem to be causing us such distress.

As a lesson in sociology or psychology, I find it fascinating that, according to what I've read here, it seems that some MTs actually develop compassion for their "captors" and a sense of loyalty towards them, similar to what I've read about "Stockholm syndrome"

Granted, there are some who are ecstatically with their current MT situation, so these observations do not apply to you.

Very early this morning, I watched a TV infomercial where an individual was promoting his book and program that supposedly helps people get into another type of work-at-home business. He said it could be done with as little as $20 and that a certain amount of interest profit is guaranteed by law. He offers somewhat of a money-back guarantee. He even said that he would pay $1000 to anyone who could show him a better or easier way to make money. I thought, if this is all true, then why are so many people sticking with jobs that are exhausting and pay so little, requiring so much?

Well, "comfort zone" comes to mind. The fear of change often keeps us from making changes. Maybe this guy's program really works. However, if that's the case, then why don't more people try his way very part-time and keep their other jobs while checking it out? Well, maybe that's due to pure exhaustion or some other factor.

At any rate, I'm considering moving past my individual comfort zone, spending the $19.95 to get this guy's book, and maybe spending the extra shipping and handling required to get some of his "free gifts" and see for myself if I can make as much money with his program as I can with what I'm currently doing.

As I see it, my current methods of dealing with the pain of my MT predicament are not effective at all, which are mostly complaining and seeking out different MT employment opportunities that have all ended up being worse than the last one, so I really have nothing much to lose.

As always, I'm just thinking out loud, or "with my fingers." Thanks for "listening."

What we can do - Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
I applaud your thinking. I think there is a similarity to domestic violence. We love the job and hate the abuse, and going from one job to another effectively resets the cycle of abuse. We keep hoping to find a place where that initial romance existed and then become disheartened when we find that the cycle is repeating itself, again, despite yet another MTSO telling us that THEY are different.

I feel that complaining serves a useful purpose. However, complaining is insufficient to making the changes many of us would like to see. Making some of those changes would require a certain level of commitment and organization. For example, requiring anyone who deals with PHI to be certified, registered, or licensed by the state would bring value to our work that would increase our wages. We need to make the American public aware of how vulnerable their PHI is to exploitation when being done outside of hospitals. We need to take back or work from the MTSOs and instead report directly to the hospitals, which would enable us to increase our waves and also facilitate savings for the hospitals--more than they do currently using the MTSOs as an intermediary.

I, personally, would love to interact with others who are interested in making changes as well as complaining. Knowledge is power, and few people outside of our business know how the medical information industry works. I am even thinking of making a documentary about it, perhaps for the Discovery Health channel.

Documentary - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you are absolutely on point with the thought of a documentary. At the very least, a report by a major investigative journalist would help.

We would need to find someone famous, who would be dedicated to the cause and not be afraid to step out of their comfort zone and share the truth. This obviously, I think, would need to be someone who has credibility with the public. Otherwise, it seems to me that we would be spending a lot of time, effort, money, whatever, on a mission that would barely be noticed.

well, I don't know about you, but - small message

[ In Reply To ..]
who can wear clothes in 110 PLUS degrees for 13 days in a row? I mean - a bra? Really? Smoke-free environment? Bathroom AND kitchen 3 blocks away?

Nuh-uh. Comfy right here. That, and still making more at home than MT-ing at some hospital for a fixed rate and a 45 minute to 1 hour commute in a pressure cooker on wheeles.

My Opinion On This - Poor MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm a single 50-yr-old woman that has a roommate now so I'm not struggling like I was just 6 months ago. I like working from home and have no desire whatsoever to go to an office and have to deal with drama. I did the hospital and medical office scene for 25 years. I'm just over that part and would rather be poor and halfway happy than working out of my home and dealing with office crap. My dog and cat are much better company than any human I know!

Welcome to the Pink American Ghetto - Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
That is an excellent question. Many younger women have decided to do medical transcription from home because it is compatible with raising children, which is their first priority. Many middle-aged women decided to do medical transcription from home because it is compatible with caring for parents and teens, which is the first priority. Many older women decided to do medical transcription from home because they are close to retirement and can't see themselves doing anything else. Many people doing transcription from home because they live in rural areas with few jobs.

And then there are people like me who are already working as professionals somewhere, with benefits, earning extra money. But I am getting out of it because MTSOs have destroyed the business. First, they took away paid holidays. Then they took away PTSO. Then they replaced hourly wages with being paid piecemeal. Before we knew it, within the past 7-8 years, we found ourselves working in the New American Sweatshop. The greatest disparity is being cheated by ASR (advanced speech recognition). The MTSOs are competing and sell ASR as less expensive. The problem is that it is usually just as hard and time-consuming to produce as straight transcription. The net effect is that it has cut our wages on the unfulfilled (false) promise that it would dramatically boost our productivity. That change has occurred only fairly recently. Many of us are moving from job to job, trying to stay ahead of the wave of ASR, rising like a tsunami behind us.

Finally, most of us love medical transcription. It takes a level of knowledge, skills, and abilities equivalent to an RN, at least. Few of us can focus on one area. We have to know surgical instruments, medications, dosages, routes of administration, intervals of administration, side effects, and have the linguistic skills to parse at least a dozen different dialects being spoken by ESL providers. We have to know anatomy and physiology extremely well, and we have to be able to understand what the surgeon or provider is doing. Unfortunately, in the past 5-10 years, people have come to believe an MT is a step down from being a nursing assistant--and that simply is not the case.

Unfortunately, there are extremely few comparable office jobs anymore. Anything that can be replaced by a computer--is. Many of us have gone back to school to learn how to manage the computers that are replacing the work we do. We will do that in offices for a while, but even much of that is being outsourced and/or done at home. The problem is that when everyone is working from home, isolated, it is very difficult to get a cohesive group of people to lead a movement to change things. The MTSOs know this--and it is precisely why they actively prevent us from communicating with each other.

So, in essence, this is a case of the Old Pink Ghetto meets the New American Sweatshop. In a book I am writing by that title, The New American Sweatshop, I point out how much much of the medical information industry is no longer controlled by the hospitals. It has become layer upon layer upon layer of "Business Associate" agreements, and at the bottom are uncertified, unlicensed, and unregulated workers who perform the actual work just by signing a "confidentiality" agreement, often doing the work on computers that the whole family and their kids' friends have access to. Under this system, there is absolutely no recourse if someone decides to, for example, copy the report of a man with HIV and send it to a hundred people in the area in which he lives or post it on the Internet. Sure, the person would lose his or her job, perhaps, but it is not like losing a license or having state prison sanctions for violating the law.

I have a small library of medical reports with which to make my case with state legislators. You should see their faces when I show them a copy of an operative report or a spouse's psychiatric hospital stay. Anyone who knows how the Internet works can get it, and there are cases in which countries (e.g., China) have redirected all Internet traffic to its own websites, meaning they received literally everything being sent over the Internet. The problem with that is that once information crosses the Internet into another country's sovereign territory, there is nothing the US can do about it. HIPAA no longer applies because they are not required to comply with US HIPAA laws. Any reasonably experienced systems analyst who controls a node can decipher everything that goes through that node, and everything sent via the Internet is transmitted through those nodes.

Do you think this would be permitted if the American public were aware of just how many people (and in what countries) have direct access to their private health information, addresses, social security numbers, etc. I doubt it.

Similar Messages:

Honest Question Seeking Honest Answers
Mar 09, 2013

For the last couple of weeks, I've been sending out resumes and also frequently checking job sites such as indeed.com and simplyhired.com. So much of what's out there is really looking for recent experience, although it's not actually stated in the ad. Okay, that's the story, now here's the question ... If so many are unhappy doing MT, most importantly because of the lousy pay, why not work at temporary jobs? The pay has to be much better than what you're current ...

HONEST ANSWERS PLEASE!!!!!
Jan 07, 2010

I am new to VR and was wondering something.....How many of you actually go through and listen to the whole report and how many of you fix the errors you see, sign it off and go on?  I am just looking at the high lines counts that you guys are getting per hour and am wondering if some of you are not listening to the whole report as that may take more time?  I know that doesn't sound good, but just looking for honest answers here. Also, advice on how to get such high line counts wo ...

I Just Want Honest Answers And Respect
Aug 20, 2012

I am not asking for charity or a pity party but when there is no work or insufficient work to make quotas I would appreciate the company being honest about what is happening. Don't tell me the docs are all on vacation or it's summertime and no one goes to the doctor in the summertime!!!!!! And if I ask a question I would appreciate an answer and not being ignored. Thank you.  ...

What Happened To An Honest Day’s Work For An Honest Day’s Pay
Jul 29, 2010

It is amazing that more people are not committing suicide.  I guess that goes to the underlying optimism that human beings are inherently born with.   We always think there is good in all people and that we will be protected from evil.   But, what happened to an honest day’s work for an honest day’s pay?  Every day there are posts about people working hard for their paltry wages, only to be paid late or not paid at all.  We cannot even apply for a job ...

Please Be Honest.....
May 23, 2012

How do you guys like working for Nuance?  Do they offer flexibility with schedules? Thank you for any information you can provide :) ...

Let's Be Honest . . ..
Jun 24, 2013

. . . some of this Nuance work is just god-awful; and yet they wonder why it's out of TAT even when they offer extra hours?  Really? The quality of this dictation is so bad that no one wants to do it . . . at least not willingly.  One dictator even whispers his dictation no one will suspect that he hasn't yet mastered English.  I suppose if we cannot hear him then the MT can be blamed.  UGH.  Horrible.I think anything would be better than this job, e ...

Honest Question
Dec 16, 2009

Long story short, I had an accident and lost all but 3 fingers. I had 15 years experience as an MT before that and have been trying to enhance my typing skills so I can get back into it. Is there anything someone could suggest to help me? I really need my jobs back am really lacking the speed with my limited fingers. ...

Do Not Want To Be An Irritation To MQ, Honest
Mar 08, 2010

Tomorrow is my last day at Medquist. In order to work my shift today and tomorrow I have to take a 45-minute HIPAA on-line training in order to be able to log into DQS. I asked if I could be reinstated on DQS through tomorrow evening but apparently that is not an option. I should just do the training but somehow the inflexibility is irritating to me. ...

Honest Opinions, I Just Need A Job.
Feb 04, 2013

I have a part-time IC job, because I recently lost my employee job that I have.  I haven't been able to find another job and was considering trying Nuance and was wondering if really anyone really enjoys it there. I hear LOTS of negativity, but can you please tell me specifically what it is about.  I don't mind running out of work, because as I said I have my part-time IC job.  I would really like to make maybe $250-300 per week, is that hard to do there?   Thanks ...

LET'S BE HONEST, REAL?
Feb 16, 2014

Every morning starts with a FIESA Email of some ridiculous mistake like: MEDICATIONS: (Oh my God, you left off "Include") 1. Blah 2. Blah 3. Half the medications are wrong, numbers are wrong, etc. Then if you contest it, they say you were endangering the patient. (Really, leaving off the word "includes" is endangering the patient?) ANYWAY, IF THEY WERE TRULY CONCERNED ABOUT THE SAFETY OF THE PATIENT'S LIVES THEY WOULD NOT LEAVE IT IN THE HANDS OF A HORRID, INCAPABLE, PIECE OF ...

Honest Opinions Please
Feb 12, 2015

Is 50 too old to start nursing school (RN)? I know it is not supposed to happen, but will my age prevent me from getting a job besides in a nursing home? I keep going back and forth between RN and MA because of this. Or maybe just CNA at this point. Does anyone have any experience or know anyone who went through this? Thanks! ...

Honest Opinion
May 15, 2015

I really want opinions about this.  There is a dictator where I am constantly having to put a QA note that says to "copy and paste from previous report, or copy and paste from such and such".  I think it takes away from my editing , especially if I have to go in and do several of them back to back during a shift.  My QC says it only takes a few seconds, but I wanted to know if we get paid for leaving these QA notes when the doctor asks for one.  Do you think I am wrong to wa ...

Transcend/MDI, Honest Question
Feb 14, 2010

In all the conferences, we are told that the work that is being outsourced to India (30% of our work) is 3rd shift and weekends because American MTs don't want to work those times.  Can somebody PLEASE explain to me why that seems to be when there is the most work.  We are required to work 1 weekend day every week, and I usually have to jump in and work the other weekend day because of the "SOS" e-mails that start coming in Friday.  I am really puzzled why there is so much wo ...

Amphion? Honest Opinions
Jul 20, 2012

I'm looking for some honest opinions on Amphion.  I really need to get away from my current company and I am thinking about applying with Amphion.  Can anyone tell me if they run out of work very often?  Do they treat their employees well, have a good platform, and pay decently?  Are they fairly flexible with schedules?  I'm looking for any feedback, good and bad.   I would like to know as much as possible about them before I take the time to take their test.  Thanks!   ...

Honest Question About Those Who Are Happy With Their Pay.
May 19, 2013

I do not work for any service currently, but it seems that the general complaint I hear on this site is about the pay. I just wonder how many of those satisfied with the pay are the sole breadwinner in the family and how many have a significant other's income to help pay the bills. I know I would have difficulty making ends meet on less than $40,000 per year. Is that possible at any of the big companies (the average, not the exception)? Thanks in advance for the honest, civil responses ...

Is This Something An IC Is Required To Tolerate? Need Honest Input! Please Help...sm
Dec 01, 2009

I was recently hired as an IC by a small MTSO.  I was told the day I was hired that I would be given work in the morning and it would be my job to transcribe it and print it out for the courier to pick it up the following day at 9:00 a.m. After papers were signed, equipment and supplies were purchased, and I was all set to go, I was informed by the owner that she wanted all of my work emailed to her as an attachment absolutely  "NO LATER THAN 5:00 p.m."  I tried this fo ...

Any Honest Current Info On Keystrokes?nm
May 10, 2011

x ...

Honest Response To Question Re Nuance
Jan 25, 2012

I am really hoping someone will help me, I have some questions regarding Nuance as I tested and passed. Someone can email for private conversation. I want to leave MQ and just want to see how they compare. Thank you for any help ...

Epic - Realistic And Honest Insight
May 02, 2012

Can anyone give me realistic and honest insight as to what effects the Epic electronic record has on employees in the HIM department including transcriptionists, coders, technicians, etc. as well as other employees at doctors' offices. I am contemplating an inside Epic position transferring data from two different electronic record systems into the Epic system. Will this temp position likely be gone after a year or so? I know that a lot of healthcare facilities are moving toward Epic. Epic ...

Honest Feedback For Company Trying To Keep Jobs Onshore
Aug 02, 2013

Hello Everyone! I would like some honest feedback. I̢۪m a recruiter that works for an MT company about to bring on some behavioral health facilities. We would like to keep most, if not all, of the work onshore. (About 120 jobs) In order to do this we need to be competitive with other MT companies that outsource most of their work. Would you consider working for a company if they offered 5.5 CPL for both transcription and speech recognition, knowing that eventually the account will be 95% sp ...

Please Help With Answers
Jun 13, 2015

What companies use DocQscribe or Bayscribe? I am open to employee position or IC, but I need a different company.  Prefer straight transcription to VR.  Many years experience.  Thank you for any help. ...

Answers To My Questions
Mar 12, 2014

So I asked my HDSM a host of questions, which I put on here in a response to someone sometime yesterday, and it seems she's as in the dark as the rest of us are.  Here's a synopsis of the answers to my quetstions, since obviously I can't include the email.   Recognized and accredited program?  Accreditation after training?  CCS, CCS-P, RHIT, RHIA?  Not sure about this.   Available to SHDAs also? Available to any production employees. Guarant ...

Precyse Answers
Apr 22, 2014

To those with questions regarding working for Precyse I can answer you.  Don't do it.  We were just informed that we now MUST make at least 260 LPH (previously was 240) OR ELSE.  That's for ASR.  The straight typing minimum line rate has gone up also---and those are few and far between plus usually only the very worst reports come in as regular transcription.  The sound quality is terrible.  A lot of the jobs go to India.  You only get credited f ...

To New At H&Ps - Answers To Your Questions And Some Advice
Feb 14, 2010

1.  Inferior vena cava (IVC) filter –  A Greenfield filter is an example of an IVC filter as is a Christmas tree filter, and there are other kinds.  They function as a sort of net to catch any emboli to prevent them from hitting the heart or lungs.   2.  If a patient has cardiac/vascular disease, there is a good chance that another will crop up, so if you have CAD (coronary artery disease) you could certainly have PAD (peripheral vascular disease), but ...

What Do You Do With This Kind Of Sentence? Need Answers Soon Please!
Jan 18, 2011

When Dr. dictates a sentence in the middle of a paragraph that goes like this: Eyes normal vision. Cardiac no carotid bruits. Cardiac regular rate and rhthym. Ears normal hearing. Do you just add a colon after the first word? Sometimes that looks odd, so I am not always sure what to do. Any ideas/help appreciated, tia. ...

Do Any Of You Ever Post On Yahoo Answers?
Mar 16, 2012

I am not sure if tihis is the right place to post this, but I used to ask questions there all the time.  Now just recently I went on there and could not believe all the profanity and inappropriate subjects they let people post there.  It is really awful and I am shocked to see some things that are passed up for censoring.  People call each other jerks and bigoted racists all the time.  I am wondering where are their moderators and why is no one doing anything to stop thi ...

Is There A Way To Do A Search That Only Includes Answers From The Last Year Or So?
Mar 07, 2011

Everytime I do a search, it comes back with  a lot of responses that date back to a few years ago. I'm looking for newer responses and do not want to weed throught the old ones to find the new ones. How can I do this?  Thank you  in advance to anyone who answers.   ...

Here's A Question, Serious Answers, NO Fighting Allowed...
Dec 24, 2011

Since I made my lines hours ago lol, and I'm messing around trying to let someone else make their lines, I've been roaming around, reading back posts.  And I swear to you all I'm not trying to cause trouble, start drama or pick fights, I just have a very serious question. For the MTs who are "struggling" or not making it, etc and to all the MTs who are sure it's a "dying field" or it's "already dead".  What keeps you in the MT field?  I know jobs are real ...

Questions And Answers From MModal Employees
Aug 18, 2012

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1441567/000119312512293940/d376248dex994.htm   Wish I had an incentive working for this company.  Oh, wait, I am on the bottom of the totem pole.  ...

Interested Parties See Mercedes Answers Below.
May 14, 2015

No, I am not a "suit." ...