A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Understanding HIPAA - mlf

Posted: Jan 21, 2010

I am trying to get a grasp on understanding HIPAA.  Does anyone have any suggestions where I can find "easy-to-understand" HIPAA rules?  I have a doct that I type his documents in Word and print them to letterhead for him and then hand-deliver them myself to his office.  Is this breaking HIPAA rules?  I just need to know what I have to be doing to be HIPAA-compliant and not aware of the facts.  Thanks for any input!

hipaa - kimba2

[ In Reply To ..]
I just bought a book by Stedman's called "Guide to HIPAA Privacy Rule" that is specificaly geared towards MT's. It's by Kathy Rockel, CMT, FAAMT. It's pretty new, so I had to get it from the company (Lippincott Williams & Wilkins)I'll say I haven't had the time, yet, to sit and go through it completely. It's not a huge book, about 116 pages, and it came with a cd, as well. It cost about $45.00 which I thought was kind of expensive, but it IS important stuff to know :)

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the info! I'll have to check it out.

LOL! Ugh! - kimba2

[ In Reply To ..]
I just looked the book up on Amazon.com and they have used ones for $1.16!!!!! I paid $45.00!!! I looked there back when I was buying it, and they had none :( Oh well!

HIPAA laws are changing as of next month - Typin_away

[ In Reply To ..]
The laws are changing dramatically in the next month. I am in the process of taking a 6 week class on it. Look up HITECH Act, which is under the ARRA and is what the new law is called.

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the info! I'm trying to get a grasp on this...

Oh to answer your question... - Typin_away

[ In Reply To ..]
If your files are saved on your computer and they are not encypted or you exchange these files over the internet not encrypted you are in violation. If the files can be seen by anyone but you or if someone steals them out of your car you are in violation.

Your boss must keep an audit trail, a log of sorts as to where, when, who has his patients medical and personal information at all times under the new law whether the files are sent electronically or not.

Some interesting examples of what is and is not a HIPAA breach - Janie

[ In Reply To ..]

I found the following document interesting.  It lists actual examples of what is and is not considered a breach of HIPAA/HITECH. 

Hope it gives you some insight into your particular situation.  I think your only problem would be during the actual carrying of your documents to the doctor’s office.  If someone were to steal the hard copy medical records or if you get into an accident and they fall out of the car, that would be a breach.  Also, you should probably have a signed contract as to how the hard copy documents are delivered to the doctor’s office – are they just left on a counter or handed directly to one particular person who then takes responsibility for them.  You may want to set up some type of “sign out” sheet that the person you hand the hard copies to has to sign every time you deliver as proof that they are not longer physically your responsibility and if that person misplaces or loses them or someone unauthorized reads or takes them, it cannot be said that you left them out in the open for someone unauthorized to have access to. 

The direct link is below (it is in a Word document)

www.hipaacow.org/Docs/BreachNotificationPolicy0909.doc

If you cannot open it from the link above, you can go to the website first, and then link to the document. 

http://www.hipaacow.org/Home/Home.aspx

The link is about five rows down:  ARRA/HITECH Breach Notification Policy

just another job justification in my opinion, MTs have been - MTBucket

[ In Reply To ..]
doing this for years. you sign a statement when you take a job in MT of confidentiality. 18 years ago in my hospital job I saw an MT get fired on the spot for not only looking up but actually printing information regarding a celebrity. common sense.

this will just be another way to get rid of employees you don't like or want. more rules and hoops for the MT.

every single second personal confidential information is sent overseas to countries whose laws are not our laws and who really knows what happens with that, but because hospitals save money, they look the other way on that.

if you want to harass employees, however, here is another tool to terrify and control them. maybe a whole new set of QA rules can come out so they can continue to justify their jobs...it will be good for them.

jobs are so scarce in this country people are coming up with just about anything to survive.

when the jobs become more important than the people, especially the people they are supposedly protecting, you have a problem...

if this in ANY way would keep our jobs here in the US, I would be all for it; however, I think it is going to work the other way as evidenced by the greed already surrounding in and embedded in this so-called 'profession.'

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks to everyone with your very helpful info! Hopefully I can understand now so I don't get in trouble for something a doc is telling me to do....

Am just not spasing, I am not in the what if class - L

[ In Reply To ..]
I am so not worried about this.

Similar Messages:

HIPAA - Need A Quick Check On HIPAA Rules
Oct 29, 2009

Hi, I need a quick check on HIPAA rules.  With respect to the health care debate, I want to write to my senator, etc., about a situation with a patient I transcribed on.  The only info. I intend to give is that the patient was a:  Russian immigrant, on welfare and receiving Medicaid benefits--when he should not have.  He and his "sponsor(s)" was responsible for his care and living expenses.  Further, I transcribed a note in which the doctor said that this patient wanted to re-sched ...

Help With Understanding QC%
Mar 12, 2015

Wow!  I kinda wish I came across these posts about Nuance before I started working for them a few months ago!  I have had good luck so far with QA scores between 99-99.6%, but this week, unless I get at least 2 more 100% postaudit jobs (which I doubt), I will not be so fortunate :( But, I am still extremely lost on QC% and how that is calculated.  I cannot get a straight answer other than it is system generated weekly from my TSM.  I wish I could find out what factors are in ...

Understanding Dictation
Jan 04, 2011

Thanking you ...

Understanding Accents
Sep 17, 2014

I am a studying transcriptionist and wanted to ask a couple MT forums for their opinions/help. I really enjoy healthcare, and after dabbling in coding and admissions I have landed on medical transcription, and I really enjoy it. I am almost half way done with my training program but wanted to see if there are any tips, books, any kind of resource that has helped registered medical transcriptionists have a slightly easier time transcribing from an ESL dictator. I have never really been good at ...

My TCM, Or Whatever Her Initials Are, Told Me Her Understanding
Mar 12, 2014

So 2 1/2 years of working for MM, at who knows what pay, only to end that amount of time with nothing to show for it that might be able to be used to get a job for a better company.  Is it very likely you could get a coding job elsewhere with nothing but MM experience? ...

Need Help Understanding A Fiesa Grading, If Possible
Sep 17, 2014

Does anyone understand why they take off an entire point for a lab value that is 1 point off?  Such as a glucose level of 230 and is transcribed 231?  This doesn't effect patient safety or treatment.  I can understand a discrepency that is a significant difference or would change treatment.  This is a minimal error and should be graded accordingly. ...

Instead Of Docking Us For Not Understanding And Leaving Blanks
Oct 27, 2013

for rushing through reports like they are on fire?  Makes sense to me! ...

Well, So Much For HIPAA Law
Feb 04, 2011

My husband went in to have blood tests done for a new blood pressure medication he is on and when he left the house to get an RX filled, the nurse from the doctor's office called to tell him the results of his blood tests. Out of curiosity (testing the HIPAA thing), I asked her if his potassium level was okay and SHE TOLD ME that all his levels were fine except blood sugar was a little high! Not only that, I then asked her what new medication had been prescribed and SHE TOLD ME THAT ALSO! M ...

HIPAA
Nov 23, 2012

I failed to cc a physician they said so I got a 3.0 deduction on a dictation.  First one I have ever got.  I haven't got an email or anything yet.  I just saw it on one of my corrections.  I haven't gotten anything from FIESA yet. ...

Has Anyone Done The HIPAA Training?
Jan 03, 2010

Has anyone done the HIPAA training?  How was the test? ...

HIPAA Test
Jan 10, 2010

Could some kindly let me know where the HIPAA test is located in MQCentral.  Thanks! ...

Regarding HIPAA - This Is Important For MTs
Jan 28, 2010

if we are to be held responsible for any kind of so-called 'security breach' which can be so easily manipulated to either just get ridf US MTs or at least make life a iving ____ for those of us left in these jobs (for example, if your reports are not 100% perfect - because 98-100% would no longer make sense because an error is an error and all are a security risk and breach - (this is so ridiculous I almost cannot even write it)); however, an MT can and will be fired for such?  Im ...

Question About HIPAA
May 29, 2010

I had to take my 18 year old daughter to the ER the other night because she cut her finger (not seriously thank goodness).  Being a medical transcriptionist I was rather surprised, she was not given any type of HIPAA form to sign, was not told anything about HIPAA, I thought everyone had to sign one.  I always have received a form when I went to the doctor or the hospital but she signed absolutely nothing.  Is this something new or is it a HIPAA violation since she did not sign an ...

People PLEASE...it Is HIPAA
Jun 16, 2010

Writing to your congressman and complaining to your companies about HIPPA makes you look like an idiot. ...

HIPAA And Archiving
Feb 28, 2011

I've searched and searched and can't find an answer.  Is there a HIPAA rule that dictates how long voice files, particularly voice recognition files, are supposed to be kept in archive?  Thanks for any help or pointing me in the right direction   ...

HIPAA Violations ...
Apr 01, 2011

First of all....isn't any medical report being typed out of our country by a another country that isn't required to follow HIPAA regulations.....well a HIPAA violation?  Not to mention a potential homeland security risk! Secondly, is anyone else bothered by being instructed to type the patient's name in the body of a report?  According to HIPAA regulations, the patient's name is NOT to be typed in the body of any medical report.  We are all violating HIPAA by doing this ...

HIPAA VIOLATIONS
Jun 13, 2012

So, my ex-husband of 15 years called my and my son's doctor's office and gets all of our medical and billing information (son is 21).  Takes those documents and files suit in court against me using the documents he obtained fraudulently to claim that I have lied about the cost of our son's medical bills (he has been ordered three times to to pay 50% of those costs which only amount to about $2,800).  Y'all get that?  He committed fraud in order to prove that I have committ ...

IC HIPAA Issue
Aug 29, 2013

Feel the need to address certain posts "..and there are no such places as you describe any longer. I have been working for an MTSO that treats their ICs as employees without all the "benefits," but also looking for something else along the way. I have not found ONE...not ONE service that takes true ICs any longer." This is called painting with a very broad brush. How can you claim that as accurate? Saying 'no such places' means you have literally checked into, inquired and e ...

HIPAA Rules
Oct 08, 2013

When a consultant's office calls the referred patient, is that office allowed to say the name of their office?  Ex:  Got a call from a GI office for my husband.  The woman gave her first name and said she needed his medical hx before she could schedule an appointment.  I asked what office she was from, and she said she couldn't say because of HIPAA but that it was a referral from his PCP.  Is it true that because of HIPAA we can't even know who's ...

HIPAA Violation...
Nov 11, 2013

I posted earlier about a HIPAA violation I believe the company I am subcontracting for is committing. I'm considering filing a complaint, but not sure what this would entail. Before I go too far into it, has anyone filed a complaint against an 'employer,' for lack of a better term, as I am a subcontractor & not an employee? This issue is weighing heavily on my mind. I do have proof of emails sent back and forth that are not encrypted or secured in any way containing reports with t ...

Win XP And HIPAA Violations? (sm)
Apr 08, 2014

What fines could MTSOs be faced with for HIPAA violations in requiring their employees to use Win XP, which is no longer HIPAA compliant?  I wonder if it might be worth an increase in line rate to keep our mouths shut.  ;o) ...

HIPAA Compliant?
Apr 23, 2014

From what I am hearing, if you have an XP computer, you are not HIPAA compliant. It violates regulatory requirements. Then why is MM not supplying us with Windows 7? My XP computer they gave me was freezing up, so they sent me another XP. I asked them why they didn't send me Windows 7 and they said XP was cheaper. So now as of April 8, they are not HIPAA compliant. I would like to know how they get around this,,,,,,having many accounts and still having many employees submitting reports u ...

HIPAA Training
Jan 27, 2015

I get why they do these webinar things, but honestly, the person narrating sounds like she herself is bored. I try to follow it, take notes, but know deep down that when I do the test very little of it will have been absorbed, so am resigned to taking the test any number of times. It's kind of like watching a weather report you are waiting for, yet then when it comes on you realize you have completely blanked and it's over. I have a real problem focusing on webinars. ...

Question: If New HIPAA Laws Are Going To Come Down
Dec 23, 2009

sending a copy of the report to the wrong doctor, what about sending all this work offshore?  What am I not understanding?  If sending a copy to the wrong Dr. Smith constitutes a huge breach of security, then sending people's health records and personal information offshore constitutes a GIGANTIC breach of security.    ...

Question About HIPAA Rules
Jan 13, 2010

Couldn't we just leave a note on any report with a cc to "please verify physician name for copy" which would then take the burden off of our shoulders? Not a QA marker, but by doing Ctrl + Shift + Q. I plan on leaving a note for anything that is questionable at all, ie., only last name given, unclear, cannot verify, whatever... I am not going down with them.  Fire me for it, then I will file for unemployment and win because they cannot fire you for a doctors mistake and then I might ...

Well, It Has Already Started, HIPAA Laws.
Feb 13, 2010

If we do not check our screen where patient name, info, attending, date of birth, blah blah blah is not correct or we did not check to make sure the dictator name is correct or attending name in the screen, of did not fill in attending or dictator for, this will have to be notified to HIPAA.  If company does not notify HIPAA that an MT made a mistake and did not correct patient name, dictator name, attending, etc., my company will be fined big time and possibly the MT too.  Honestly, ...

HIPAA Data Breach
May 02, 2010

I am reading far too many cases of MTs being fired/threatened for copying the wrong doctor on a report.  While this constitutes an error, it does not (NOT) constitute a HIPAA breach.  HIPAA law is being wielded like an axe by misinformed management, with the regulations being used to threaten and fire a huge segment of the American workforce.  MTs fired for a "cc" issue need to report their job loss to their state labor department as well as the department of health and human se ...

UPDATE On HIPAA Class
Jun 04, 2010

Here's the latest in my inbox: "These classes will vary in topic and although we will strongly suggest you take some or all of the classes in the end that decision will be up to you. They will not be mandatory as previously communicated but strongly encouraged for any MLS who wants to continue their education and professional training. HIPAA is the first class we loaded into the system because of the new regulations which became effective in February.  Some of these regulations a ...

Anyone Accused Of A HIPAA Violation And Let Go?
Jun 22, 2010

x ...

HIPAA??? Privacy??? Texas???
Oct 06, 2010

And they DARE to threaten US with HIPAA??  What a crashing joke!! http://www.theaustinbulldog.org/index.php/Main-Articles/Main-Articles/department-of-state-health-services.html     ...