A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Sharing Patient Records Is Still A Digital Dilemma For Doctors - lisa

Posted: Mar 06, 2015

link below

Interesting article. - IMANMT2

[ In Reply To ..]
I think MTs see this a lot. Patient gets a referral to a doctor, brings the imaging CD, doctor puts it in the drive and can't open the file.

This is UTTERLY ridiculous and inexcusable and has to be intentional.

The problem is in the very attitude/language the article uses "Talks to each other". That's baby talk for file format compatibility. Why the baby talk? These people are making millions off the software, surely they can speak like IT professionals.

Similar Messages:

Electronic Medical Records Will Be Forced Onto Doctors
Aug 03, 2012

The family practice I go to is using this. The doctor asks questions and constantly inputs into his PC tablet as we speak. Its not looking good for the MT field. Anyone else worried? I worked on a project transferring hospital charts from Legacy to Epic. Once they were done with using us for that project, we were let go with no notice. Just thinking my time is running out and I need to get to medical coding school fast! Then I am worried will medical coding too be forced onto the doctors ...

Thousands Of Patient Medical Records Found
Jul 13, 2013

How they wound up there is anyone's guess. ...

Patient Medical Records Online Is Making News On NBC Sunday At 11
Feb 13, 2010

I have seen where our local news station in Richmond, VA is going to be covering a news story about patient medical records online on Sunday at 11:00 p.m.  The actual story caption advertised is:  "Patient Medical Records Online - What Happens Will Make You Sick." Oh yeah, it's about time.  I know not everyone will have this on NBC but you can access this story afterwards on the NBC Channel 12 website.  It will be interesting to see how this is covered and whether ...

Dictator Says "obtain Records, Records, Records." Would You Type It 3 Times As Dictated?
Feb 18, 2010

Or would you simply type "obtain records..." ...

Doctors Who Do Not Read The Patient's Chart
Dec 19, 2013

Do you ever wonder if doctor's ever take a quick glance over the patient's chart before they begin dictating? I am not talking about residents who are dictating a large stack of charts, but a doctor who sees the same patients day in and day out in a diabetes clinic.  I type for this doctor who will start dictating and have no idea what medications the patient is on, how many units the patient takes, or even how many times a day the patient is to receive insulin. She will name off ...

NEW COMMANDMENT: Doctors Shall Not Say Name Of Patient In Report
Jun 11, 2015

Thou shalt only say, "the Patient" throughout the report.  ...

Doctors Using Their Own Templates Jeopardize Patient Care
Dec 11, 2012

I don't know about the rest of you but I have very few male doctors who are careful enough to adequately edit normal templates to meet the patient's particular criteria. It's gets pretty time consuming to do it myself, especially when we are not qualified to do this in every instance. Female doctors almost always attend to these details. NPs, PAs do a much better job than the male docs, but few male docs either care, feel it is their job, or take responsibility for this editing. ...

Dilemma
Aug 02, 2010

After my worst day ever Friday and making next to nothing for the day, I had contemplated all weekend giving my notice this morning.  I have crunched numbers, talked with the husband and child, cried, and prayed.   My first two jobs this morning were for a dictator I could not even understand his name, doing cardio, in letter form to God-knows-who.  I (think) I sent the first one to QA.  The second one I am pretty sure I put all the troubles in the QA marker and then for ...

Serious Dilemma
Sep 16, 2014

Has anyone run across a suicide planning document?  Wondering how I can NOT be a participant in that... thx for any response. ...

QA Submission Dilemma
May 27, 2010

Report from a new dictator, not English-speaking of course, 84 lines, 10 QA markers.  Listened through the whole stupid thing twice to get it down to 10 markers, looked up old reports on the same patient, wasted a great deal of time trying to find anything helpful.  So finally sent to to QA.  Just checked to see if THEY were able to fill in any of the gobblety-goop.  Hasn't been done.  This will probably set me over the allowed 5% and for all that horrific work I di ...

Company Dilemma
Jan 04, 2011

I have 28 years experience as an MT. I recently left Spheris after MQ bought them out. I got a job doing clinic work, fantastic hours, decent benefits, and the people are totally wonderful. However, as some of you know, clinic work is hard to make a dollar with. I have seen the ads for Med-Scribe from Florida and I am wondering if I should apply. I really have to make more money than I'm making now. ...

My Dilemma W/ This Board
Feb 19, 2012

I've done this job for 12-plus yrs now, and I definitely agree w/ those who say we should have the grammar, spelling, research skills, etc., before we're even hired.  That said, occasionally I have a brain freeze when I have a PA or some such who can't pronounce a drug and refuses to give me a hint how to spell it.  I still refuse to tear someone down on here who has the stones to ask a question.  If the terminology is beginner-type stuff and it makes me suspect it ...

JUST SHARING
Aug 05, 2010

Well, I didn't want to totally quit being an MT, just in case things changed and some wonderful job pops up someday.  So, I found a day job, not MT, but data entry for a car repossession service.  It pays only $10 per hour, but it is a guaranteed 40 hours per week and offers some employee benefits such as health insurance and PTO.  No, I don't like what they are doing, but it is legal and it IS a job.  I used to turn down jobs based on principle, but I was the ...

Sharing At Tip...
Jun 17, 2015

I just wanted to share something that I discovered that works well for me. Aside from my typing skills, I am also a graphic artist.  I love to draw and do drawings on my computer.  For this, I use a TracBall-style mouse.  It is a stationary mouse that has the ball on the top.  It is used for precision when working with graphics.   While it definitely takes some time to get used to, it has also proven to be a great way to speed up pointing and clicking in my working wit ...

Let's Code A Colonoscopy Dilemma!
Apr 22, 2010

Op report reason:  Screening and Diarrhea.  Colonoscopy done, polyp found and removed.  The reason for the colonoscopy is both Screening and Diarrhea.  In fact, doc documents prime reason for colonoscopy is screening and second reason diarrhea.  What is the diagnosis code for this?  If a coder has to code by the documentation and the doctor's final answer is that it is for both a screening and for diarrhea, what is a coder to do?&n ...

LINE RATE DILEMMA
Sep 13, 2012

My last couple of companies have been devoured by the squid so i'm again exploring other options. Better to take an offer of 9 cents per line for ESL/difficult dictators or 6 cents per line for easy work? Both call themselves IC, though really they aren't (want a schedule).   ...

Sharing Thoughts
Jan 27, 2014

I check MT Stars frequently just to see what people are saying.  I'm a QA person.  I'm at the tail end of my career (38 years) and I must admit, I'm fairly happy with Nuance.  I have a great boss and thankful that I can work from home, get fairly decent health insurance and have working hours that fit my lifestyle.  I HAVE taken a drastic cut in pay which is a bit disheartening.  The "Good Old Days" are long gone.  I'm very thankful for ...

Keystrokes Or Acusis, My Dilemma Continues.....
Sep 18, 2013

PT/Acusis or FT/Keystrokes/ Radiology/3rd shift@ $1 a report.  After being fired from what I thought would be a great job for me (Amphion), I'm gun shy. ...

Do You All Mind Sharing With Me How Much You Take Home
Jul 10, 2012

I was laid off last week from my in-house MT job.  I have an interview this week at Nuance.  I am wondering how much you all bring home in a 2-week period?  I've never worked production so I don't know what to expect.  And could you please tell me if you're part-time or full. Thanks! ...

If You Wouldn't Mind Sharing...
Oct 02, 2012

I have seen a few posts where someone mentions another job board.  I know we cannot post them here, but if you wouldn't mind emailing me I would appreciate it.  Seems like a google search is like a wild goose chase with schools and such and I just want a few real job boards to watch. Thank you so much in advance. ...

Companies That Provide 401Ks And Profit-sharing:
Oct 20, 2009

There's just ONE, eensy-weensy little problem with MT companies providing their employees with a 401K as one of their benefits: What person on a measly MT's earnings can afford to put anything into it?????  I can't spare even a dollar at the end of each pay period, and haven't been able to put anything into even a savings account for years.  Did it ever occur to them that a retirement account is USELESS if you don't pay your employees enough to fund it? ...

Would Anyone Mind Sharing How Much They Bring Home Weekly?
Mar 25, 2010

Not trying to be nosey, just curious. ...

Very Nice, Very Secure, & FREE File-synching & -sharing Website
Aug 30, 2010

This is outstanding.  Now I don't have to keep e-mailing myself stuff.  I can imagine all kinds of MT-related applications. First 2 GB free but you can pay for more. https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTEwNjg1NzkwOQ ...

I Made A Total Of $19,000 For 2011. Would Anyone Mind Sharing What They Made For The Year. I Am Ju
Jan 27, 2012

hopeful ...

Patient Scheduled For Shoulder Surgery - Patient Has Pacemaker
Sep 12, 2011

We will have the patient seen by anesthesia preop to make sure the pacemaker is properly cared for during the surgical procedure, which requires general anesthesia, and the use of the s/l **bovig** during the surgery.  Thanks!! ...

The Patient Is On S/l Peer-uh-lone And Digoxin (cardiac Patient)
Feb 09, 2015

thank you ...

"There Was A Time When Doctors Were Doctors" By James Ong
May 06, 2014

From the KevinPho MD site:   There was a time when doctors were doctors. There was a time when young men and women sacrificed the best years of their youth, learning to treat patients and conquer diseases, not to become typists, paper pushers, data-entry clerks, or to have hospitals, insurance companies, and the federal government dictate to us how to practice medicine.   There was a time when doctors were trusted. There was a time when we were not guilty until proven ot ...

Digital
Nov 12, 2010

A small doc office is changing to digital from microcassettes.. We have checked into Sylvan, Express Script, and Olympus software. Does anyone have an input on the software or any other suggestions? ...

Digital Recorders
Jan 14, 2010

I have a physician that wants to swith to digital recorder so that  he can download the dictations onto the computer and send them to me (via e-mail I'm assuming) then I will type them in Word and e-mail them back to him.  I've used Express Scribe before to listen to reports using foot pedal too and typing them in Word.  Does anybody know if I can still use that software to listen to the reports and how I would get them from my e-mail to the software?  Any informati ...

Can't Believe With All The Digital Technology
Nov 09, 2010

our sound quality is so poor most of the time.  You ought to be able to hear clear as a bell, but I think it is worse than in the olden days.  Sounds like everybody is across the ocean, talking between two tin cans.  ...