A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

serious dilemma - moral objector

Posted: Sep 16, 2014

Has anyone run across a suicide planning document?  Wondering how I can NOT be a participant in that... thx for any response.

Can you give more details? - sm - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't understand. Thanks.

Depends - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are "friendly" with your employer, try to change dictators, if it occurs a lot, or let them know you need to re-route that job.

If not, you could return to pool and take the hit on cherry-picking.

I felt I couldn't/didn't want to type late fetal demise notes when I was 8 months pregnant. I know that isn't the same sort of moral dilemma, but I felt very uncomfortable with the notes, as in almost every one of them the person had been to the doctor the week before and everything was just great and this day the baby was dead. I had had a lot of early miscarriages (4 in one year).

So, point is, there are notes that make us uncomfortable sometimes and most people will give you the space to get out of it. If you are the only transcriptionist on said account and you are the only way it is going to get done, I guess you just have to do it.

a little - moral objector

[ In Reply To ..]
It involved a terminal illness and the plan for a "death with dignity" process.

I think that would be much easier to transcribe - than a long, painful death.

[ In Reply To ..]
There's nothing wrong with getting assistance with death when it's hopeless and the alternative is days, weeks, or even months of suffering and complete loss of dignity.

Your're a professional - Sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Act like a professional. You are being paid to transcribe dictation, not to like what you hear. None of us get to pick and choose. If you cannot remain objective, find a different job.

What a gracious reply. NOT. - smj

[ In Reply To ..]
There was a time when you could request not to transcribe a certain WT that went against your religious (moral) convictions. I feel sorry for people like you who always want to talk down to others. I am sure this board is full of your previous posts. I can smell them. I bet you would have no problem transcribing a partial-birth abortion.

I can't remember the last time I posted. Months ago maybe - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
So your sense of smell must be off. I was not trying to talk down to anyone. The OP asked a question. I answered it. Perhaps she should have requested that people respond only in a way that would be pleasing to her or anyone else on this board.

What a gracious reply. NOT part 2 - Off the wall

[ In Reply To ..]
"I bet you would have no problem transcribing a partial-birth abortion." Seriously? How did you tie that one in with the OP's question?

my professionalism - moral objector

[ In Reply To ..]
Actually, I did the job, as it was almost complete by the time I knew what it was. And I was the only one in the food chain, professional or not, that did not get to "opt out" of the planning. But thanks for your input.
Suggestion for dealing with - moral objections
[ In Reply To ..]
It is never pleasant to transcribe something that would be morally objectionable for you. Persons of one particular faith might object to transcribing blod transfusions and transplants, while others might object to transcribing any mention of birth control, and still another might object to transcribing any mention of divorce or that a woman is one of a man's three wives.

If your objection is that you feel you are participating in the objectionable act or factlitating/enabling it, you might need to refuse to transcribe it, with the understanding that you may lose your job.

If that is necessary, your faith should have something to make it clear, so talking to a professional in your church or faith, like a priest or minister, might help you sort out exactly how much moral responsibility you do have.

Otherwise, you could consider doing the work in compassion for the individual involved.

Another way to look at it is to realize that, although - you would never do the same, the - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
patient has the right to make his or her own end-of-life decisions.
rights......... - moral objector
[ In Reply To ..]
Not debating the patient's rights, I have all kinds of compassion, and this is not a judgment about someone else's choices. For me, there's no fine line between "end-of-life" decisions and "end my life" decisions. What about my rights? My name is now associated with that record, that plan.
I would never in a million years have dreamed I would have to leave a health care job because I can't be a party to suicide.
Morals - Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
To me, it is as simple as I knew when I took this job that it was healthcare, and the types of reports to do were going to be quite the learning experience. Whether I agreed with whatever was going on in the report or not is really none of my business. They have a right to their privacy and decisions. I only type to the best of my ability the report at hand. To complicate it any further than that, then I would need to find a new line of work. I pray a lot for many I do not know, not judge. (Not saying anyone else is judging, just saying this is what "I" do. I hope things get easier for you.

Similar Messages:

Dilemma
Aug 02, 2010

After my worst day ever Friday and making next to nothing for the day, I had contemplated all weekend giving my notice this morning.  I have crunched numbers, talked with the husband and child, cried, and prayed.   My first two jobs this morning were for a dictator I could not even understand his name, doing cardio, in letter form to God-knows-who.  I (think) I sent the first one to QA.  The second one I am pretty sure I put all the troubles in the QA marker and then for ...

QA Submission Dilemma
May 27, 2010

Report from a new dictator, not English-speaking of course, 84 lines, 10 QA markers.  Listened through the whole stupid thing twice to get it down to 10 markers, looked up old reports on the same patient, wasted a great deal of time trying to find anything helpful.  So finally sent to to QA.  Just checked to see if THEY were able to fill in any of the gobblety-goop.  Hasn't been done.  This will probably set me over the allowed 5% and for all that horrific work I di ...

Company Dilemma
Jan 04, 2011

I have 28 years experience as an MT. I recently left Spheris after MQ bought them out. I got a job doing clinic work, fantastic hours, decent benefits, and the people are totally wonderful. However, as some of you know, clinic work is hard to make a dollar with. I have seen the ads for Med-Scribe from Florida and I am wondering if I should apply. I really have to make more money than I'm making now. ...

My Dilemma W/ This Board
Feb 19, 2012

I've done this job for 12-plus yrs now, and I definitely agree w/ those who say we should have the grammar, spelling, research skills, etc., before we're even hired.  That said, occasionally I have a brain freeze when I have a PA or some such who can't pronounce a drug and refuses to give me a hint how to spell it.  I still refuse to tear someone down on here who has the stones to ask a question.  If the terminology is beginner-type stuff and it makes me suspect it ...

Let's Code A Colonoscopy Dilemma!
Apr 22, 2010

Op report reason:  Screening and Diarrhea.  Colonoscopy done, polyp found and removed.  The reason for the colonoscopy is both Screening and Diarrhea.  In fact, doc documents prime reason for colonoscopy is screening and second reason diarrhea.  What is the diagnosis code for this?  If a coder has to code by the documentation and the doctor's final answer is that it is for both a screening and for diarrhea, what is a coder to do?&n ...

LINE RATE DILEMMA
Sep 13, 2012

My last couple of companies have been devoured by the squid so i'm again exploring other options. Better to take an offer of 9 cents per line for ESL/difficult dictators or 6 cents per line for easy work? Both call themselves IC, though really they aren't (want a schedule).   ...

Keystrokes Or Acusis, My Dilemma Continues.....
Sep 18, 2013

PT/Acusis or FT/Keystrokes/ Radiology/3rd shift@ $1 a report.  After being fired from what I thought would be a great job for me (Amphion), I'm gun shy. ...

Sharing Patient Records Is Still A Digital Dilemma For Doctors
Mar 06, 2015

link below ...