A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Sample Short-N-Sweet Letter to the Editor - JMO

Posted: May 19, 2012

that is super short - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

No words wasted :) - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
:)

no punctuation errors at all! - good job

[ In Reply To ..]
:)
ROFL - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Funny

Maybe someone more articulate than me - would consider

[ In Reply To ..]
running it past the folks at The People's Pharmacy radio show if they would like to do something about the hazardous new world of medical documentation. This is a national show from NPR, maybe not with a huge audience, but could be something right up their alley. You can contact them on their web site.

I couldn't have said it any better myself! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
?

where is it? I wrote it! - JMO

[ In Reply To ..]
Dear Editor and Readers:

Did you know that:
1. Your medical records are probably being transcribed in countries that do not have the same privacy laws as we do?
2. That because of nuance in language interpretation, there may be errors in your records that may be dangerous or even fatal?
3. That your daughter's, your nephew's and your grandbaby's Social Security numbers are ripe for picking and selling, like a tasty global strawberry?

Everyone should ask their doctor where their records are being transcribed, and if they can't give you a for-sure answer, then they are probably being done outside the country. You should demand they keep that information in this country or you will find another doctor who will.

Okay, I don't know why it didn't post earlier, but if anyone would like to add to or reword any of that, feel free.

Your letter and the problems I see with it. - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
1. Is this about overseas workers or wages? The lawsuit had to do with wages and not being paid for hours worked. Now you are throwing in the overseas issue again. If you got paid 10 cpl, would the overseas workers bother you? Sounds to me like some of you are going to do anything in your power to fight a battle even if it means throwing in things that weren't the issue in the first place just to stick it to the employer. Hiring overseas workers is not against the law and used by the majority of American companies, even our credit card companies, IT departments, and banking. There is sensitive information in all of these fields.

2. Why do you assume that the overseas workers are criminals? Are overseas workers all looking to steal information? Is that the only goal? Do they not have values and punch in and out everyday like us trying to feed a family? Believe me, I would rather our jobs stay in the US, but it's not because I believe they are out to get me, it's because Americans need jobs! There isn't much information on a medical record and how secure are the people working right here at my doctors office? So if my son gets in a car accident and has to have a MedEvac ride to the hospital, I should ask where they have records transcribed and refuse care if they are done overseas? Really?

3. Do you realize that most of the identity theft happens here? We have plenty of our own criminals searching the trash and stealing mail out of mailboxes. We have to give our SS# just to have cable.

4. Errors in medical reports due to speech? Speech does make errors, this is true, but why would they have errors after you edited it? Are you sending it to the facility like that? If speech doesn't hear it, we edit it. If we don't know what is being said, we blank it. We still wouldn't know what was said if it came without the speech. So the dangerous and fatal errors aren't making sense to me. We still have to do our job and the doctors still have to sign off on it. What does speech have to do with that? Again, is this a money issue or speech issue or overseas issue?

4. You need to be very careful with what you choose to be angry about. Just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean your goal should be to destroy an entire industry.

I agree completely with you. The lawsuit is - about wages SM

[ In Reply To ..]
and illegal practices. It is not about overseas workers. Don't muddle the real issue with this. If you want to write about VR, then talk about the false claims that we can double our productivity; hence, the reason for the pay cuts, which leads to the reason we are forced to work more hours which leads to the reason we are told to lie on our timecard so MTSOs can continue to break labor laws. Keep this offshoring issue out of it.

Would it bother you more to have your info overseas or in the posession - Crabby

[ In Reply To ..]
of a customer service rep who is actually working from home and the order you just placed is on their personal PC? Sears, Citi, some pizza huts, Shop NBC, HSN, and many other companies outsource to work at home agents who could very easily write your cc information down and have your card run up before you even got off the phone. So, is the pay the question or overseas workers?
A US worker can do this too. - What is your point?
[ In Reply To ..]
You are living in a dream world if you think US workers don't steal. Who are the US MTs anyway? Did they have background checks?

Pay is the question. The overseas issue only became an issue when our wages were cut. I could care less who is looking at my Pap smear report. Have fun with that! My credit is shot so someone is welcome to that mess too.
I never said US workers don't steal. The point is, - Crabby
[ In Reply To ..]
a big deal is being made about personal information being sent overseas. How many times have you called a company only to get an overseas agent? The MT industry isn't the only one getting work sent offshore. If the MTs in the lawsuit or the OP for this thread wants to bring the pay issue up, I don't think using offshore workers will drive the point home. I don't know if many doctors are even aware their reports may be getting sent overseas, so to bring that issue up doesn't make sense. That will not get a pay increase if a doctor or a clinic loses patients.

Ripe like a strawberry? - Tim

[ In Reply To ..]
Why say that? Don't think this letter will even get print time.

agree... its horrible - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

The letter raises legitimate issues that MTSOs don't want - the public to know about.

[ In Reply To ..]
Here's mine:

Dear Editor:

I'm sure most of your readers aren't aware that the American healthcare industry is peddling the most intimate details of their health records in the back alleys of Rangoon and other foreign cities.

They are doing this in order to save a few pennies in processing these records - fully aware of the potential security consequences, and despite having complete knowledge of the poor quality of the work that is done in many of these processing centers by people who neither speak nor understand English at the level necessary to handle sophisticated medical documents properly.

You, as a patient, believe that your medical record is secure and accurate, when in fact it is being exposed to unnecessary security issues and may be riddled with errors.

I doubt that anything we as patients can do will prevent greedy healthcare executives from continuing to follow these shameful practices.

However, you have a right to demand to review your record any time you see fit, and I suggest that EVERY patient should exercise that right after any significant encounter with your healthcare provider.

Addendum - I would close this way.

[ In Reply To ..]

"...I suggest that EVERY patient should and MUST exercise that right after any significant encounter with their healthcare provider because medical errors can be extremely dangerous - even fatal.

Check your records frequently. The life you save may be your own."

WOW! - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
You do realize India is doing quite well and they don't live in alleys and they have very nice office buildings?

Save my own life - huh? WOW, just WOW.

Back alleys? - Tim

[ In Reply To ..]
You guys have been watching too much TV! So the alley is set up with internet and these poor dirty people are sitting in the dark (probably damp and cold too) transcribing our sophisticated documents? Do they get fed? Or do they only get food when they steal an idenity?

Medical records, personal records, shoes, clothes, computers - all overseas. This is not hidden. You are not exposing anything. Did you just discover this or something?

So when I review my medical record, what am I looking for? A mistake in grammar? What?

Who cares - get a life.

Thank you, Tim - ...if that is your name.

[ In Reply To ..]
I detect a whiff of Habib.

Rangoon, when did records start going to Asia? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

India, Indonesia and the Phillipines are all in Asia. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Rangoon? - Really?

[ In Reply To ..]
Since when has US transcription started going to Myanmar (formerly Burma).

Not to mention it's not called Rangoon anymore. It's now called Yangong.

And in an alley in Rangoon - HA - Funny -

[ In Reply To ..]
This is hilarious.
It's sad, though. It sounds like - al
[ In Reply To ..]
a person from my grandparent's generation who doesn't realize how racist they are when they say "he's black, but he's very nice!". They're uneducated about anyone other than those in their own neighborhood, or worse, church. Dark-skinned = poor, dirty, and most likely a criminal.
Exactly - Great point - Tim
[ In Reply To ..]
You read my mind :)
Don't play the racist card. We call that - stinkin thinkin
[ In Reply To ..]
No one said or even implied a word about race. But, of course, there's a group of ignorant people in our country who, when they have no real argument, play the race card.

It's become tiresome.
They already played the race - al
[ In Reply To ..]
card. It happens here a lot.

Similar Messages:

Letter To The Editor
May 23, 2012

Medical Transcriptionist Week began May 20th to recognize MTs over a week. The theme this year: Patient Safety. MTs across the country are transcribing medical records and are dedicated to being a 1st-line defense against errors that can negatively and sometimes fatally affect you as a patient - physicians make mistakes. MTs ensure those errors do not end up in your Electronic Medical Record.  Healthcare consumers are you aware that local hospitals are outsourcing their work to what are kno ...

MS WORD HELP. Will Not Begin Sentence With First Letter In All Caps Anymore, Also The Letter "
Dec 20, 2009

A few weeks ago, for no reason that I can find, I cannot get the first letter of a sentence to be in all caps automatically, (unless I do it manually.)  The same for the letter " I " by itself when typed.   It was always automatic and now all of a sudden it is doing this and I cannot figure out how to change it back. Has anybody else had this problem, if so, how did you fix it? Thanks, appreciate the help ...

Sweet.....
Jan 06, 2011

Just had a doc thank me at the end of a dictation, wished me a Happy New Year, and said he appreciated all my help today.   I'd like to kiss that guy on the forehead!!! ...

Sweet!
Apr 03, 2012

I was at the end of a 20-minute report when the system went down and since it was down 2-1/2 hours, I thought it was gone for good.  I started working when the system came back up and now, 2 hours later, the report came back to me and I was able to recover everything!!  ...

Does Anyone Have A Sample Of A
Sep 13, 2012

cardiac MRI they are willing to share/post?  TIA! ...

Who Says Teenagers Can't Be Sweet? Sm
Apr 14, 2010

Today is my birthday, and last night at midnight, my 18 y/o son toasted a frozen waffle, put whipped cream on it along with some pineapple and grapefruits pieces, and lit it with four candles. I almost cried. How I am going to miss that boy when he goes off to college in Kerrville this fall! Sorry if this is sappy. ...

Doc Is Sweet But Clueless
Jul 03, 2014

At the end of the report I just completed, the nice dictator ended by saying, "Thank you for transcribing this note and have a happy 3-day weekend."  I honestly can't even REMEMBER when I had one of those!!!  Would if I could, Doc! Oh well... P.S.  All of you on the East Coast, STAY SAFE!  I'm praying for you guys.  I'm in the midwest where we're having unusually cool resort weather...it doesn't seem fair!  Happy 4th though!!!   ...

Anyone Else On That Sweet Account That Was Lost?
Jun 22, 2012

Wondering if anyone else worked for the West Coast hospital account that went away this week? ...

Sample Op Reports
Nov 20, 2010

What are some good sites for sample op reports?  This is the only real downfall I have with transcription and I would like to brush up on terms and procedures.  Thanx!! ...

Ophth PE Sample Please
Jan 28, 2012

I am needing a sample of an ophthalmologic physical exam including abduction/adduction/ versions, LHT prime etc.. I need the terminology and layout.  I am testing for a compnay and have done mostly surgery in the past, which does not include a lot of these abbreviations.  If you know if any good web sites for abbreviations for eye exams, I would appreciate that too. Thanks! ...

Thanks For All Of Your Sweet Comments, It Truly Helps To Commiserate With Y'all
Dec 28, 2011

Goodnight, God bless! Better days... ...

Sample Dictations In Neuroradiology
Feb 02, 2010

http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/smd/Rad/ndictation.htm#MR_Brain   ...

How Do I Get To The Sample Reports? F5 Not Working
Feb 12, 2013

x ...

Synernet Sample Reports
Apr 01, 2014

Just wondered, if any of the other MTs who pull past reports ever notice the amount of mistakes in them? It seems like this evening, each time I pull in a report for a certain dictator, I find so many careless mistakes in these reports! I thought they were pretty rigid in checking quality with these documents.  I realize we have to fly through to make our lines counts, but gosh, some of this stuff is just plain carelessness.  ...

Is There A Place Online To Go See Sample OP Reports?
Nov 02, 2009

Such as, look at different types of procedures to become familiar with instrument names and such?  TIA ...

Here Is A Great Place For Sample Reports And
Nov 17, 2009

I was plodding along with a mush-mouthed doc dictating, and badly needed some samples with standard phrases.  I found this word-help site, and on there was a sample of exactly what I was working on, and I found the word I was looking for!   Maybe it'll be of help to some of you out there, as well:   ...

Anyone Know Good Website For Sample Op Reports?
Jun 10, 2010

nm ...

Just Passing Along! Ocala Fl In- House Mt Supervisor Job. Sweet Hours
Feb 24, 2013

http://health-care-jobs.advanceweb.com/job-details.php?jobid=156482&jobFltr=&comFltr=&stFltr=&cityFltr=&page= This link is for a mon - fri 8-430 MT supervisor in house position in Ocala fl. Thought I'd pass it along. Just wish I lived there for this job!! ...

Just Typed My Last Report Ever And Have Officially Said Goodbye To Nuance - Bitter Sweet
May 07, 2015

Today ends an era of an 18-year career as a medical transcriptionist.  I resigned a couple weeks' back to accept a position outside of the transcription industry.  It is bitter sweet because transcription has been such a huge part of my life and became a part of my way of living.  I won't trash talk Nuance today because it has absolutely no benefit.  After all, I was able to muddle through the changes as well as what I see as unethical policies and procedures and wa ...

Sample Contract For Employee Status Paid Per Line
Dec 15, 2012

The company I transcribe for has agreed to pay me per character line now instead of hourly rate, which is much more productive for me!   Question being, do I submit my line count to them and how do they deduct my taxes still???  Where could I find a company contract for them so that we both understand that I'm still their employee but paid cpl and a flat rate when doing office tasks once in a while?  Thank you for any samples/help. ...

I Swear I Am Hearing "stay Sweet Protocol" And Nothing Else
May 10, 2015

section and this was not mentioned at all throughout the rest of the note prior to this time.    Has anyone heard of this?  Google was no help. ...

Short Pay
Mar 01, 2013

Looks like I will have made approx $250 after working for two weeks.  A total of 48 hours in 2 weeks if I can get in an 8 hour day tomorrow.  Brother.  ...

Vetac....can't Think Of What It Is Short For??
Nov 23, 2009

cardiology ...

Short Fingers With Lab. :)
Oct 18, 2010

Whenever I type lab, I slow down. My fingers are short and I have trouble reaching the number characters on the keyboard. I want to type lab fast too. Are there tricks that I can do to boost my typing when doing lab values? TIA :) ...

Short Cut For Hypotension
Nov 04, 2011

For the life of me, I cannot figure out an easy shortcut for the word hypotension.  I have tried a few things but they conflict with my other shortcuts i.e. hypothyroidism.  Brain dead today.  Can you suggest something?  TIA ...

Short Reports
May 03, 2012

What are considered "short reports" according to line counts?  It seems to me I have been typing a lot of them lately.  Today,  I have edited around 20 reports with only 1 being over 30 lines.  This is typical on my account, but I am new so not sure if that has something to do with it or not.  I have a pretty high requirement to hit, but with at this rate, it is pretty slow going. Is this pretty common? Thanks. ...

Short Cut For -year-old
Jun 11, 2012

How can I get a short cut created for -year-old.  I used to know how to do this but have forgotten.  Tyvm. ...

Short On Hours
Sep 03, 2013

When you are a little short on hours, why do they tell you to add some and what do you put for a reason? ...

Short Rant
Jan 01, 2014

I would love to have just 1 stinking report that I didn't have to renumber every list in that report.  Of course it has to be done manually which just slows me down!  Mission accomplished.  Short but sweet, I'm done.  Happy New Year all.  At least we know we have one constant in our lives other than having to pay taxes and die.  ...

Last MDI Paycheck Is 1 Week Short?
Feb 02, 2010

or did I figure wrong?  Is Transcend holding a week back?  I am glad I saw this because I would have been unpleasantly surprised come pay day on 2/12. ...