A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Low Wage for Inhouse Transcriptionist - Libby

Posted: Jun 30, 2011

Hello:

I interviewed today for a psychology practice that is offering $8.50/hour for a receptionist/transcriptionist position (for 3 psychologists).  I thought, well, perhaps there is not much transcription involved, but was told that would be the majority of the workday.  I feel this would be interesting work, I need the benefits provided, and all the doctors are English as first language speakers (a bonus!).   I was told all of the doctors are very caring people and wonderful to work for.  This is in a moderate-sized city in Georgia. 

My first impression is they have no appreciation of what it takes to do transcription--this is not so bad for a receptionist position around here, but really!  I need a full-time job badly, but that's just insulting!   Am I being unreasonable?  TIA--

Gosh, that's low for either of those positions BUT... - Hayseed

[ In Reply To ..]
If full benefits are provided, I would approach them about how they feel about a wage increase after a 3-month "probation period" or something to that effect.

I know nothing about that area of the country and how that wage might be comparable in your state. Where I'm from, this seems to be about the going starting salary for a medical receptionist with experience and it's downright sickening, as about 100 miles "down the road" the same job commands a minimum of $12/hour.

1500 lines at 4cents full time is $7.50? no? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
The hospital I worked for 4 years ago was giving 15 dollars entry level as a newbie. Three years ago offered 14.50 at an orthopaedic clinic, just doing 1 specialty for just maybe 5 doctors. The clerk at the hospital was given 9.00 to start at entry level 4 years ago and did not even have to know medical terminology. We really have to type and think that we are doing it because we care and not in it for the money.

Psychology? Or psychiatry? - marcyb

[ In Reply To ..]
Keep in mind that if this truly is a psychology practice (and not a psychiatry one), the rates they charge clients are no where near what psychiatrists are charging and thus you can't really compare wages to wages in a medical doctor's office. I know a few clinical psychologists in private practice and none are getting rich, believe you me. Just something to consider as you think about whether the per-hour rate is reasonable.

Yes, they are psychologists... - Libby

[ In Reply To ..]
The practice has one psychiatrist, but the doctors I'd be working for directly are all psychologists. I noticed on their online new patient paperwork that they charge $180/hour. I think that's a lot! I appreciate your reply.

You know, when I started out 11 years ago I made $9.00/hr and more recently made $13.00/hr for a secretary/transcriptionist position in Alabama, which is my home state (right on the line with Georgia) and another poor Southern state. I truly am not sure if I can live on this wage.

As a person who types for only one psychologist - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
I can tell you that wage is way too low. I make production pay and walk away with about $17-20/hour. I also worked in-house for her for a second as a receptionist while she was looking for new one. I was still typing at home for her and doing reception during the day. She paid me $15/hour for reception duties plus my production rate for typing. $8.50 is insulting. I could make more than that in fast food, and I live in Indiana, where the cost of living is pretty low.

Libby, I just quick-looked up average clerical in Georgia, - a lower-pay state, after all, and

[ In Reply To ..]
average pay for more experienced workers is a base income of around $30K.

Another quick look turns up a small-town poverty level in Georgia of $16,400 for a 1-person household, $21,400 for 2-person, and $31K+ for 4-person.

$8.50 x 2000 hours is $17,000.

It may be that practice is unaware of these figures, but they could also just be perfectly willing to help increase the growth of poverty in this country if it means more profits for them.

Low wage - elle316

[ In Reply To ..]
No, you are not being unreasonable. Minimum should be $12 an hour.

However, when you add in benefits (if they are really good) it might be worth it. Depends on how bad you need a job and what else is out there.

Similar Messages:

What Would Be A Reasonable Hourly Wage For A Medical Transcriptionist Of 12.5 Years?
Nov 30, 2012

Hi: I have worked for the same hospital for 12.5 years, so there is a lot of loyalty there. I live in a southern state in the USA. I get paid an hourly pay plus $0.47 incentive for anything over 90 minutes. My hourly pay to me is low, but not below $10.00 an hour. Is 20.00 per hour appropriate or am I wrong? Thanks in advance for the advice. PS: I am not here for a debate just want to know what is a good hourly pay for 12.5 years. Thanks, Mel ...

Minimum Wage Is Better Than No Wage, I Guess
May 29, 2013

Too bad we can't just type our way to $16, $17, and upwards of $20 per hour anymore.  Shoot, with the amount of work available, I guess I should consider myself lucky to even get MINIMUM WAGE. (Wish I was)!  ...

I Just Saw An Add For An Inhouse MT Position....
Dec 15, 2009

and the pay is $10 - $14 an hour, depending on experience.   Are you kidding me???  ...

Inhouse Vs Home
Aug 31, 2012

Hello! Can anyone tell me how much difference on average is the pay working inhouse for a clinic (not a hospital) versus working as an IC from home? Thank you for you time! :)  ...

OMG! Just Got A New Job As An Inhouse Coder
Jul 12, 2014

(not my first), and STARTING pay is $60K a year!  I'm ecstatic!  Can't give out the name of the hospital, but will give out the state:  OREGON ...

Heard Back From Inhouse Job!
Jun 17, 2013

Oh man I don't want to get my hopes up but I submitted my application the other day and today was asked to do the online "organizational fit assessment."  I don't know if I answered the questions correctly but I did the best I could.  So we'll see.  Inhouse jobs don't come up very often in my community - almost never! and this one has other responsibilities too.  I should add that I think I owe a lot to Preptel.com.  It's a website I saw posted h ...

I Am Blessed To Have The Opportunity To Work Both As An IC And Inhouse.
Jan 25, 2010

There are good things about both sides.  I get paid more inhouse but I have more free time with IC. ...

Found An Inhouse Job And I Am Out Of This Online Nightmare
May 06, 2011

I was finally able to get hired by a local hospital that very rarely has openings. I will get to work from home once I am up to speed on their platform....doing VR....getting paid by the hour....benefits for the family of only $200/month....and PTO time. I couldn't be happier. I have been slugging it out with MTSOs for 10 years and am finally getting out of this rat race. It was music to my ears when I asked what the chances are of them ever turning their work over to a MTSO and they sa ...

Opinion Please: Friend Changing From Inhouse To MQ
Jan 08, 2012

Ok, I have a friend who has worked inhouse for a few years for a large hospital.  She makes $14 an hour with shift differential.  They have pretty much cut the incentive pay out.  She really doesn't get that I don't think anymore.  She is fustrated with her boss and is considering going to Medquist radiology transcription.  Another friend who works on the radiology side of MQ said she has not ran of work before and has 5 accounts to work on, etc.  She says ...

From Inhouse To Working Remotely For MTSO
Jun 19, 2014

I have heard too many times where a hospital is outsourcing their transcription department and you must take the job with the MTSO, and you cannot get unemployment benefits if you don't take the job.  I have been thru it twice. Both times it was done in the most unprofessional way; in 1998 and again in 2011, two different hospitals in two different states. Both times, they lied to us, saying we must go with the MTSO and won't qualify for unemployment.  When you are laid off ...

Company Hiring For MT Inhouse Just Gave Me A Call
Sep 29, 2010

Paying 15.00 an hour.  It is temp to hire. Hours 8 am to 5 pm, Unfortunately, I already have an inhouse day shift job.  They asked if I knew anyone who would be interested.  Couldn't think of a soul. ...

Friend Wants To Quit Inhouse Job To Work MedQuist
Jan 08, 2012

Someone who works at Medquist on the radiology side said that radiology isn't as bad as the acute care side.  She said she has not ran out of work yet, and she has been there several months.  I know what I see on these boards about the acute care side.  Does this pertain to the radiology side too or is it different?  ...

And To Think I'm Now A Transcriptionist
Oct 20, 2010

In posting a reply in a different thread, it brought back a memory I thought I'd share.  I had just turned 18 and my mom had just had surgery.  I went to the hospital to visit her but wasn't sure where she was.  The nurses asked me what surgery did my mom have.  I replied, "A vasectomy."  Oh my how the nurses laughed!  They replied, "Oh no honey, I think you mean a hysterectomy."  And look at me now, been an MT for nearly 20 years! ...

Ads For Transcriptionist's (sic)
Mar 28, 2011

When I see an ad saying that companies are looking for a few good "transcriptionist's" (sic), I always think that maybe they should be proofing their ads before submitting them.  ...

New Transcriptionist
May 03, 2011

Hello, Any and all comments to this question would be helpful. I am new in the medical transcription field. I have been having a hard time finding a job, and one day I get an email from this company. The email said they work for Affiliated Healthcare. I googled the company name and came up with a few hits as to what this Affiliated Healthcare company is. I transcribed a sample and sent back in. I received an email the next day stating they would like to hire me, to please reply to posting. I ...

TTS Transcriptionist
May 05, 2011

TTS is recruiting, that is ironic! - but so true to form in this business.  Every day I run out of work at some point during my shift and they say "We will let you know when it starts coming back in."  Meanwhile I am making no money.  I used to be a happy, loved my job, transcribing in the hospital - over 10 years ago.  Since my hospital farmed out to these companies that I have tried to work for - NOT happy, not even able to earn a decent living.   H ...

New Transcriptionist Need Help
May 31, 2011

I have just graduated and am looking for a job which is not easy.  Someone finally responded to my resume and they say that I need all these different books that are expensive and the Microsoft Professional instead of Home and Student which is more. I do not have any source of income so is there a place I can get used books and microsoft professional?? Im worried that I will spend all this money I dont have to get started and then not get the job.. Need advice please help.   ...

Editor Or Transcriptionist?
Oct 11, 2009

What do most people like, editing or transcribing? Just curious. ...

Newbie Transcriptionist
Feb 01, 2010

Do you always need a foot pedal regardless of what kind of program/setup employeers have? ...

Dinosaur Transcriptionist
Aug 01, 2010

I have been out of the workforce for 2 years. Is there anything to do to refresh my skills? Is there a program for retraining anywhere? ...

HELP FOR BURNT OUT TRANSCRIPTIONIST
Apr 20, 2011

Any ideas?  I love the people I work with and the company - but somedays I have all I can do to drag myself in here and stay focused.  Been doing transcription for 35+ years and I know I'm burnt out.  Where do we old burnt out people go?  ...

Transcriptionist Resume Help
May 28, 2011

I get a lot of MTs asking me for help with resumes so I thought I would put this out for anyone who is interested. This link downloads a sample one-page MT resume to use as a guide: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20134076/Sample%20One%20Page%20MT%20Resume.docx This link shows this same resume with some tips added. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20134076/One%20Page%20MT%20Resume%20Tips.jpg Hope this helps someone.   ...

Transcriptionist To Coder
Nov 14, 2011

Hello everyone.  I have posted here before about this topic. I am thinking about taking a coding course, probably through Andrews, and was wondering which credential to get first...the CPC or CCS?  Which one is more desirable for employers?  If there are any other credentials I would need, please let me know because I have just started researching this.  Thank you. ...

Frustrated ED Transcriptionist
Jan 21, 2012

Frustrated that even though I have stressed my proficiency in ED work, I am still forced to do other work types first, while yet others are getting ED work types in their "pools"... I would think you would want someone who types fast in a certain area be allowed to crank that work out first and then when it runs out, let the other work types they are not so good at roll into their pool....  Frustrated ...

Veterinary Transcriptionist?
Sep 13, 2012

Hello all-   I am a licensed veterinary technician that also got a certification as a medical transcriptionist after I had my 2nd child. I am looking to work from home part time and having no luck at the moment finding a job. But as I sit here and read and ponder.... do any of you know of any veterinarians that send out transcriptioning? I don't know if it is even anything a vet office could afford, but I would be interested in it if anyone knows of anything.   OR if anyone ...

New Medical Transcriptionist
Jun 16, 2013

I am trying to find a good training program.  I have looked into career step and then a local training program at a technical program here in Denver.  The Denver program has an internship as part of the course but is not ahdi approved.  It is a 17 month program and looks thorough but I don't know how big the ahdi approval is.  I've heard that career step helps graduates get a job.  Any advice for me on this?  Thanks. ...

Been A Transcriptionist For Over 10 Years
Nov 13, 2013

I have been a transcriptionist for over 10 years and I recently started a job for a small transcription company that requires 100% accuracy for all reports.  I continually get flagged with emails saying, "Please find the punctuation mistake and apply back with why" These are most always just one or two comma mistakes in the whole report.  Do all of you turn in reports with absolutely no comma or semicolon mistakes at all or am I just an inadequate transcriptionist?  Frustrated. ...

Former Big Shot Now A Transcriptionist?
Nov 21, 2013

Does anyone know anything about this?  I see a very familiar name listed among the transcriptionists on a certain account that now belongs to Nuance through the acquisition a couple of years ago. ...

Medical Transcriptionist
Jun 11, 2015

I researched on Indeed Jobs. At Parkland Hospital the requirement to work as a Medical Transcriptionist is to have a certificate in medical transcription or at least one year of medical typing experience. You must be able to type at least 40-59 words per minute with a minimum of three errors. You must be able to operate a dictaphone. You must have medical terminology knowledge and be able to pass a spelling test with a score of 80%. I would prefer to start my career in a hospital setting so that ...

How To Be A Medical Transcriptionist
Jun 27, 2015

I am currently studying to be a medical coder / biller. It is a long study time and tough too, but I love it. But just curious, how do we become a Medical Transcriptionist? Now that I know some medical terms and good at the computer. Maybe I can do this job as well. I have a friend who is medical transcriptionist but seem to be secretive about this career. How do we become one? I hope it does not need a long degree or diploma, or something like that. I appreicate any information. Thanks ...