A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Help with motivation/staying on task - with horrendous audio

Posted: Aug 08, 2012

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with/power through horrendous audio quality reports? We  have had these reports on my primary account for 2 months now and my company refuses to do anything about them. I turn the volume all the way up and still can barely hear the dictator over all the static. I struggle to figure out what they are saying, but I find myself "checking out" and losing focus and motivation to get through these reports after a while. How does everyone else do it? How do you stay on task and keep motivated to get these types of reports done when you are so frustrated with them and just want to throw your keyboard at the screen and be done with it once and for all (LOL)?? I know it's time for a new job and am working on training for something else but need to keep going with this to pay the bills until I can get started in my next direction. TIA!

I tape my bills around my monitor! I also have - 4 pennies sitting on my desk!

[ In Reply To ..]
I look at those 4 pennies and realize I gotta get moving!!!!

The 4 pennies, that is great. Digging my 4 out to tape to my monitor now. NM - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Dumb question but is there a significance to - the 4 pennies? nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Yes, to those of us paid 4 cpl = get it in gear cuz they don't add up too fast. NM - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
xx
Duh *smacks head* Thanks!! - (getting more coffee now)
[ In Reply To ..]
x
That should be criminal - xxx
[ In Reply To ..]
Any company paying 4 cpl should be ashamed of themselves.
Dont they all pay that for speech? - national average
[ In Reply To ..]
They are not ashamed, they are proud, and rich to boot.
I agree, it should be a law against it. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Staying On Task?
Dec 12, 2013

Hello everyone. If anyone has any tips on how to stay on task it would be appreciated. I know this topic has been discussed before, but I wanted some different ideas. Thanks! ...

Task Force, Inc.
Jun 03, 2010

has anyone heard of this company?  I searched for it but came up with nothing. ...

So About That MT Task Force
Mar 27, 2013

I have not heard it mentioned in a very long time. ...

Should The Insurance Companies Take Over The Daunting Task Of The Transcription Service?
Jun 21, 2012

It just seems like it would save a step, as far as billing goes, the M.D. would get reimbursed more quickly. Insurance companies may even pay MTs more? Wouldn't this have substantial savings in administrative and other costs? They would not have to keep trimming back on their transcription costs by lowering the MT pay rates. ...

Motivation
Apr 03, 2011

If you are a part time MT, what would motivate you to go to full-time.  Also, what do you think would motivate a low-producing MT to increase production? ...

Tips For Motivation?
May 18, 2011

eee gads, every have one of those nights, or one of those weeks? what do you do when you just can't seem to get in the groove? maybe its the mt week contests and knowing I will never win anything (even though I meet all the production requirements) plus just plain wore out from trying to move for the past week or so.  tried to get some PTO, but never get approved. and then add to it the 3rd shift blues.  no matter what, just can't keep my eyes open! ...

Lacking Motivation
Oct 17, 2011

So it's Monday morning and I have very little to no motivation to crank out reports.  This is getting to be a real problem.  My line count is dwindling because of my lack of motivation.  I've been doing this job for decades.  Where do you find motivation?  Any tips or tricks you care to share?  The weeks get longer all the time and while I like my job I certainly do not love it any more.  Help!  Thanks. ...

Motivation/burn Out!
Jun 07, 2013

How does one stay motivated day in and day out...when the account I have I find very boring (rehab) and not acute care which I love, I am soooo burned out, and unsure of company changes and soon going to be calling this profession the quits as I will be going to school part time in the fall to pursue a career change? Any suggestions, please! ...

Out Of Patience, No Motivation.
May 24, 2015

Dictating with your kid crying right behind you?? Really?? Started the shift off getting an account out of my usual BOB, and the HPI for every single one had to be totally retyped. I don't have any more patience for the doctors who sit their breathing or thumbing through the chart or searching the electronic record without putting the dictation on hold. I find moving the audio to a place where there is dictation really helps my lph. Only "advantage" of ASR. Of course, I only go as far ...

Two Issues: Accents And Motivation
Mar 05, 2014

Anyone else have these issues? I find that after doing report after report of doctors with different accents (Indian obviously, Asian, Spanish, British), it just gets more difficult to wrap my head around what is being said.  I can't find that sweet spot where I can understand what is being said, and it is so frustrating! Also, motivation.  I start my shift, am on a good roll, then NJA.  After doing a few jobs that trickle in, clock in and clock out, try to remember the ent ...

Absolutely No Motivation For This Job Anymore.
Mar 20, 2015

After 21 years of doing transcription, yes starting with a typewriter, I have no will left to do this job. After searching other companies, it seems the industry is in the toilet. We are at the mercy of companies like Nuance because in-house transcription is a thing of the past. I woke up this morning and realized in the last 16 years I have come full circle, 7 cpl when starting at home, and now most likely back to 7 cpl with this new grid. I don't even see the point in arguing over the QC% ...

Nothing Like ASR And The Crummy Pay To Kill The Spirit And Motivation.
Jan 28, 2010

I feel like quitting! ...

Any Tips For Increasing Motivation/production?
Nov 15, 2010

I'm not sure if I'm burned out on MT as a whole (I don't think I am), just my current MTSO, or if I've got some component of ADD.  Whatever it is, I need to get out of this slump.  Increasing production just because I need the money doesn't seem to be a motivator.  I've been doing this for 21 years now.  I've always been a little distractible, but it seems to be getting worse.  Does anyone have any tips or tricks for improving their p ...

STAYING FOCUSED DOING VR/SR
Oct 20, 2011

Have been an MT for 34 years..having trouble staying focused doing SR...any suggestions??? ...

Staying Awake
Oct 15, 2012

Sitting here with work but still falling asleep at the computer.  How does one stay awake through all this crappy ASR and ESL who stutter and just totally horrible dictations?  ...

Staying Clocked In While OOW
Apr 09, 2015

Has anyone ever stayed clocked in while OOW, like for an entire day and subsequently for the entire week. Of course, they would have to pay minimum wage, but I'm just wondering for how long??? ...

Tips On Staying Focused Anyone?!
Oct 12, 2010

Normally, I'm very disciplined about work.  I have a very stable job, very good pay, great accounts.  I am just having trouble staying on task.  Mind you, I do not have to just push and push.  I just need to relax and complete a report, upload it, do the next one.  I can breaks when I want to.  There is NOTHING wrong with my situation except as soon as I start a report my mind goes to a zillion other things I would rather be doing.  I can hardly get thro ...

Your Tips For Staying Attentive.
Dec 30, 2010

I am an independent contractor and do the transcription for a busy family practice office.  I use Instant Text, macros and autocorrect, and I also use my timer to keep myself productive.  But sometimes I struggle with productivity and focusing. I'd love to hear people's tips here on how they stay focused when your mind is pulled other places, and, also, your best tips for increasing your speed!  I just know there is a wealth of information here.  Even shaving a few ...

Having Trouble Staying Motivated.
Jan 17, 2011

Anybody else having trouble staying motivated? Don't get me wrong, I am happy to have a job; but I am just tired of the cut in benefits. Wouldn't it be nice to get a raise for once? Maybe it is time to go back to school and do something else.   ...

Staying Awake On Third Shift
Aug 10, 2011

I was just wondering how many other people work third shift and have such trouble staying awake?  I have been doing third shift for a while and it's HARD!!! I have a new baby and my husband watches him in the day, but I cannot seem to get more than 4 hours of sleep during the day and then I try to take a nap in the evening before work, but I am STILL having problems staying awake and I know being tired sets one up for disaster for mistakes.  I am thinking of talking to my physicia ...

DQS Down - Staying Logged In To Schedule Source
Jan 13, 2010

so I can document my down time and get paid.     ...

Staying Focused/Motivated At Home
Nov 28, 2010

Hi, I was wondering for those of you who work at home, what type of methods do you you use to stay focused at home, ie. environment, lighting, and so forth?  I like working at home but there are days when I'm easily distracted by the littlest thing and it slows down my line count or I need a break for my eyes to get away from looking at words on the computer screen. ...

Anyone Have Any Tips On Staying Alert/functional During 3rd Shift? Sm
Feb 27, 2014

I only have an hour window between my 2nd shift job and the 3rd shift job, and I try to sneak in a nap, but after a couple of hours I find myself yawning and losing focus. Coffee doesn't seem to help nor do any of the energy drinks. So far, 5 minutes of jumping jacks or something every hour has helped the most, but I still feel I am not at my best (and my production shows it). Any tips you might have would be greatly appreciated. TIA. ...

Staying In Health Care And Am Especially Interested In Home Healthcare
Jul 06, 2012

I am looking into what field of study to take up. I am thinking about staying in Health Care and am especially interested in home health care. I was wondering if anyone knows personally if there are demands for: Physical Therapist assistant - with Associated degree Occupational assistant- with Associates degree Has anyone heard of Speech/language pathologist assistant? I think this will require too much schooling but I have heard there is a big demand in health care and schools. I al ...

Medications "task To Assignment"
Jun 26, 2012

Dictator is talking about noncompliance with medications and changing patient to "task to assignment"??? thanks ...

Pt Is Currently Staying At Oak Grove "L-tech"
Oct 17, 2011

? ...

"I'm Just Staying Positive"
Dec 28, 2011

This morning a local morning talk DJ had an interesting segment.  He was responding to a woman who had called in, complaining that he didn't have anything "positive" to say.  His response was, "Oh, I am POSITIVELY certain that we are all getting screwed!"  (Comments were in reference to Congress extending the debt ceiling.) This reminded me of the asinine phrase, "I'm just going to be POSITIVE!" that I hear over and over, usually from women, most of whom are MTs.&n ...