A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Has anyone ever reported someone for a HIPPA violation? (sm) - anon

Posted: Aug 02, 2010

The daughter of a friend of mine works in the clinic that I worked at for 18 years in medical records is known to read charts and then tell others about what she has read.  For example, someone who has an STD that she knows, she has told lots of friends about it and I have heard it myself. 

Does anyone have any idea what happens when you report someone for a violation?  I am sure that they take the person's name who is reporting it but can you tell me what else is involved? 

I know that it needs to be reported but honestly I am not sure that I want to get "caught up" in that type of drama and trust me mother and daughter are just alike, there will be LOTS of drama. 

What would you do and what has been your experience?

Thanks so much for advice, replies, etc.!

I would stay out of it if you do not like drama. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Why doesn't the person who is being talked about report them? You are a bystander and may not even have all of the facts straight. I would stay out of it.

Because the person that she is talking about (sm) - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
has no idea that she is telling people what is in their medical record. She sat by my pool this weekend and told six people that this patient was in the clinic last week, who they saw, why they were there, their diagnosis and the treatment given. I was sat three feet from her when she was telling them. Afterwards I did pull her to the side and asked her if she realized how much trouble she could get into for telling people this and she shrugged her shoulders and said that she did not care. This just really bothers me for the obvious reasons and the fact that I happen to know this young man that she is talking about. However, with that said, I think that you are right, I think that I will just stay the heck out of it, lol.

I would definitely report her...NO DOUBT!..That is absolutely sickening.. - Sounds like she enjoys DRAMA!....nm

[ In Reply To ..]

I think you have an obligation to say somthing - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
Drama or no drama, I really think you have an obligation to say something to the clinic. How would you feel if this were YOUR medical records being bandied about in such a fashion and no one said anything to this child's employer?

On a side note, I'm not sure how friendly I could continue to be with the chid and/or mother knowing the drama and knowing the COMPLETE lack of humanity involved in the child. Even without a HIPAA issue, why would anyone feel the need to discuss someone else's STD except for malicious gossip? That's wrong on a number of counts.

Go to the doctor and tell them what you saw and what you said to the child. Let them take it from there. If she's lucky, the only thing they will do is fire her, which she well deserves.
I agree. Not only an obligation to the poor patient, (sm) - Rocky Raccoon
[ In Reply To ..]
but the fact that if she knows this breach of confidentiality took place, and took no action, would essentially make her an accomplice.
Reporting - PedalPshr
[ In Reply To ..]
Don't all of us MT have to sign a confidentiality/HIPAA compliant form upon employment? Anonymously place a copy of this on her desk as a reminder. Many have been fired from their jobs for this and can be prosecuted.

I would have no problem reporting - that behavior ...sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Further, I would have cut her off and prevented her from sharing this information if it were my pool.

I would have acted swiftly and decisively, and in front of the others.

That little girl was rude and obnoxious, and she really should not be in a position where she is privy to confidential records of any kind.

Confidentiality - Aspiring coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Before reporting it, you could just tactfully point out that it is a serious confidentiality breach and ask her how she would feel if the shoe were on the other foot. As a medical record employee, she certainly ought to be familiar with the laws, maybe she WANTS to get fired, there are actually people like that. Eventually she will probably get caught anyway if the wrong person overhears, these things generally have a way of resolving themselves. As an employee, you actually have a responsibility to report HIPAA violations, but I can understand not wanting to get involved.

An additional note - Aspring coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, I had not read that you had already spoken to her once. In these situations I think that managment handles it confidentially and may just say that the matter was brought to their attention and take it from there. If this situation were as bad as you say, I would stop it before it gets worse. The other co-workers who sit and listen and do nothing are just as bad, glad I don't work in that office, lol!

confidentiality - Tara

[ In Reply To ..]
I have never reported someone, but someone reported me thinking that because I worked in the facility that I was talking about them, which I indeed had not and never would. The employer talked to me about it of course, but wouldn't say who the patient was that had come to talk to them about it. If it's a decent employer, they won't reveal their source and indeed you can ask them not to. It also looks good on your part that you are willing to go the extra mile for the employer.

Hippa officer - TwinMom

[ In Reply To ..]
There is someone in the clinic who is the Hippa compliance officer - that's where you need to start. A call to the patient or the family of the patient might be a kindness as well. In one office I was in the office manager was the compliance officer but in another the medical records manager was the compliance officer. The patient deserves for you to at least make a report even if you mail it anonymously.

What if it was your information she was "leaking" - MT with MS

[ In Reply To ..]
Think about if it was your own information being given out. I worked in a 500-bed major hospital. My co-workers knew I had MS before I did. I did report it.

Definitely report her. The patient by law has to be - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
notified that their information was given out inappropriately and it could backfire on you and/or the facility if it is found out another way.

to work in Medical Records, she had to sign a Confidentiality form. - she should lose her job. n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

HIPAA - deenibeeni

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Go for it girl, - this is an ethics issue.

[ In Reply To ..]
Definitely, I would check with the HIPAA compliance officer at that office first, then if necessary and nothing is done, go to HIPAA directly. Standing up against something as illegal is this, I would consider it my obligation as an honest ethical worker to report this activity.

Complaint - MT67

[ In Reply To ..]
Here's where you can file: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/complaints/index.html

If you choose to do so. You don't have to go to the doc, and you're protected against backlash of any sort.

HIPPA violation - How can someone be so dumb

[ In Reply To ..]
Rite Aid was just fined 1 million because they threw information in the trash. This person knowingly and probably maliciously, gave out information to people at a gathering, that person should be reported. I would sue that person if I found out they did that to me or my family.

Similar Messages:

HIPPA Violation?
Dec 22, 2009

I guess its not really something new, but as I was visiting a friend in the hospital yesterday a doc was sitting at the nurse's station just dictating away.  I clearly heard patient's name and identifying info and her entire medical history while standing outside the room waiting for nurse's to finish with my friend. ...

Has Anyone Got A HIPPA Violation
Apr 07, 2010

Has anyone else gotten a HIPPA violation for referencing old reports when typing an ESL ? ...

One Has To Seriously Wonder About These Reported
Feb 07, 2013

It's surely not a coincidence that the employee factor is a link.  Where are they getting this personal contact information from?  Makes you wonder. ...

Violation
Apr 08, 2010

I received an email too 2 days ago from ccm needing an explanation of why I had a patient's report open when I was not actively transcribing.  I know there was a night when I had signed out and I had a window still opened that I did not realize was opened.  I had minimized the window in case I needed the document again to refer to.   Geesh.  sometimes I don't even feel like wasting my time to search old reports.  I feel like its constant harrassment lately ...

State Taxes Taken Out Reported On W2 But I Live
Mar 02, 2013

I'm pretty sure my former employer made a mistake on my W2 or made a mistake by withholding state taxes.  I live in a state that has no state taxes.  My company is in a state tax state.  I just cracked open my W2 and it shows state tax withholding.  I checked last year's W2 for same company, state (theirs and mine), and nothing is in that box.  I'll be calling them, but does anyone kinow if there may have been a change I didn't hear about?  Or ...

HIPAA Violation...
Nov 11, 2013

I posted earlier about a HIPAA violation I believe the company I am subcontracting for is committing. I'm considering filing a complaint, but not sure what this would entail. Before I go too far into it, has anyone filed a complaint against an 'employer,' for lack of a better term, as I am a subcontractor & not an employee? This issue is weighing heavily on my mind. I do have proof of emails sent back and forth that are not encrypted or secured in any way containing reports with t ...

What Constitues An Ethics Violation?
Apr 21, 2010

Hello, One of my friends here at MQ was just put back on 100% QA after one bad audit.  Now, due to First Time Right, she will be making 3 cpl less for ALL HER LINES since it all is going to QA - except for that 10% allowance that she has. This is just SO not right!!!  How is anyone supposed to live on a pay cut like that?  For 8-9 cpl, it's a 30% pay cut! Is this reportable to anyone?  (If anyone would care...)  What can we do about this - besides quit? ...

Anyone Accused Of A HIPAA Violation And Let Go?
Jun 22, 2010

x ...

Info Needed From Anyone Who Reported MTSO For Not Paying Overtime Please.
Oct 17, 2010

What was the process you went through?  I would guess you most likely would contact the labor board.  Was that your state or the state of the MTSO main office?  I would think they would ask for my timesheets, which I have kept.  Did you mail things to an address the labor board gave you and deal with one investigator? What was the outcome of your case?  How long did it take to get the matter resolved and receive your back pay for all the overtime? I know I pr ...

Has Anyone Reported A Company To The Department Of Labor For Unpaid Overtime?
Aug 06, 2011

If you have, can you explain the process?  Did you supply them with a weekly log of your hours?  Did you file to the state you reside or the Department of Labor where your company has its main office?  How long did it take to get your check;-)  How were you paid - did they figure an average hourly rate as we are paid per line?  Any info appreciated.  ...

QuadraMed (Duncan) Courtesy Of Misys (VD) Reported Mangers
Jun 05, 2013

Interesting!  So Constellation Softwares acquires QuadraMed which the CEO is Duncan James (our new CEO for MM) and supposedly QuadraMed courtesy of Misys (who Davenport and Princess used to work for and Allscripts and Misys merged) managers of QuadraMed are clearing out their offices and employees would be told how long they had left to work for the company which Duncan leaves as CEO of QuadraMed to join as CEO of MM.  My gosh, they all are sleeping together. ARTICLE:  Constellat ...

Self-reported Height And Weight WERE 5 Feet 5 Inches And 125 Pounds
Apr 18, 2014

1)  Self-reported height and weight WERE 5 feet 5 inches and 125 pounds OR 2)  Self-reported height and weight WAS 5 feet 5 inches and 125 pounds. The doc always dictates #2.   ...

Major HIPAA Violation By BCBS Of GA
Jun 26, 2010

So today I get a letter from BCBS of GA.  Whoops, they had a security breech on their website.  Someone "may have" gotten acccess to my name, SS #, and credit card info. They made "security changes to prevent it from happening again". They are offering me one free year of "identity protection" under Debix Identity Protection Network (has ANYONE out there every heard of this company?).  They want me to leap on to the DIPN website and give them all my information so they can prote ...

Doctors Reported To Their State Medical Board For Malpractice, How About Maldictation?
Jun 14, 2013

When a doctor repeatedly, deliberately makes vocal utterances that do not even come close to forming words, whose dictation cannot be deciphered by MTs with 20-30 years experience in his specialty, shouldn't this doctor be reported?  ...

HIPAA Violation? I Requested My Medical Records
May 27, 2010

and paid to have them sent to me.  The last 20 pages were someone else's medical record.  I called the records dept and told the clerk, and she acted like it was no big deal and could I bring them back?  At first, I just wanted the extra 5 bux back that I paid for these (5 bux per 20 pages is what they charge).  Then I wondered if someone else got a part of MY medical record?  She assured me not.  This really sounds like a big fat HIPAA violation and I think th ...

Dictating With Kids In Room - HIPAA Violation?
May 26, 2013

So I just took a HIPAA course regarding the "new rules" regarding our liabilities and obligations under the law.  I often get dictations by doctors who are obviously working at home with their kids running freely (and loudly) through the room, and perhaps a caretaker's voice now and then.  If its a HIPAA violation for ME to have other people listening to dictation, isn't the doctor dictating in the presence of others who obviously have no business hearing that dictation a rep ...

Where Would I Start, In Order To Report A HIPAA Violation?
Oct 15, 2014

I think this really should be reported and looked into,  as long as we're all supposed to be taking HIPAA so seriously. And, no, it doesn't matter what the violation was, I'm not posting it here for everyone to argue over the dirty details. ...

HIPAA Violation? My HMO's Records Dept Accidentally Sent
Jan 10, 2015

instead of my own.  I called and told the person (it was the exact person that I had send the records)  and he acted like it was no big deal -- he just goes, "oh could you bring that back here today?"  Of course I will bring them back, but I think it was funny how he made it seem like there was nothing wrong with the scenario.  He probably thought I had no idea about HIPAA.  ...

Anyone Experiencing HIPAA Violation Threats Of Fines/termination?
Nov 11, 2009

Anyone experiencing HIPAA violation threats of fines/termination? ...

HIPPA
Feb 28, 2010

I've just received a call from my supervisor advising me that because I cc'd the wrong physician on a report, that it is a HIPPA violation and I have been given a warning that if it happens again I am going to be fired.   I've been doing this job for 35 yrs and I have an excellent work history, ethic, etc.  I realize that HIPPA is very important and I "get it".  But if I lose my job over a lousy cc?   I'm devastated by this.  What has transc ...

HITECH/HIPPA
Nov 14, 2009

A few days ago the MTSO I work for informed us that it was even more important for us to be sure that the patient information in the demographics be accurate.  They went on to say that if an error was made, the patient would now be informed of this.  While I totally agree that at all times patient information, inculding DOB, MR number and other very important data be perfect every time, I can't help but wonder that if patients will be informed when this information is in error, w ...

Has Anyone Gotten A HIPPA Viloation
Apr 07, 2010

Has anyone else gotten a HIPPA violation for referencing old reports when typing an ESL ? ...

HIPPA Certificate
Jun 26, 2011

Just wondering if any other MTs have have taken the new HIPPA compliance test?  ...

HIPPA And The Workforce
Mar 11, 2011

Does anyone know how the new HIPPA regulations affect us as employees?  I'm starting to read up on it, but it's confusing.  I understand the work station.  I understand that we are the workforce and I understand that the government is cracking down on electronic medical records.  Does anyone know anything else?  Thanks. ...

Is It Against HIPPA Protocol...
Nov 07, 2013

To email transcribed medical records? I'm training with a small company & she's having me email completed reports to the "manager." I think this is a HIPPA violation... ...

When We Took The HIPPA Course Not Long
Nov 21, 2013

ago and passed, do we become HIPPA certified and can we get a certificate to show we are certified? ...

HIPPA Testing
Jun 22, 2015

As an independent contractor has anyone had to take a HIPPA test to either start contracting or keep an existing contract with a company that you are transcribing for? ...

? About HIPPA And Privacy Laws
Jan 12, 2010

Is this more strict? or is it the same?  Am I freaking out for nothing new? According to some of those examples, I'm not even sure that normals and the repository are legal.  Doesn't it say that we are not allowed to save other records for examples?  And the fact that you can be fined if you ACCIDENTALLY see something or accidentally send something to the wrong doctor, which I know we have to be careful not to do, but what if it is the dictator who gives us the wron ...

MQ + HIPPA + ILPs = Hypocrisy?
Jan 12, 2010

Okay.  I just finished watching the videos and the HIPPA presentation.  Now that they've put the fear of God in all of us, just how the heck can the Q, with a straight face, suggest or promise to a health care provider that they (the Q) can assure the client the PHI can be guaranteed when sending work to a group of employees who live several continents away and who do not speak English as a primary language.   What a crock!!!!  How many health care providers know their ...

HIPPA/HITECH And Overseas MTs
May 07, 2010

How can any company be compliant with HITECH/HIPPA when they send work overseas. Isn't that a HIPPA violation and should the patient be notified that their personal information, diagnoses, history, SS#, in some cases home address, DOB, etc, is sometimes mentioned in reports and overseas MTs have access to it?  How can any company be compliant, especially with HITECH be compliant with these new laws, regulations, etc, when the patient is not aware their information is accessed overseas ...