A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Has anyone gotten a HIPPA viloation - Angry

Posted: Apr 07, 2010

Has anyone else gotten a HIPPA violation for referencing old reports when typing an ESL ?Yell

what? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Aren't we supposed to reference old reports, per the FTR protocol?

Please explain.

did you - reference

[ In Reply To ..]
a dictator other than the one you were currently working on?

It would not surprise me if MQ would try to pull a HIPAA violation out of that!

When you pull up the patient (to try and get a - list of the meds or whatever)

[ In Reply To ..]
I have looked at consulting doctor's reports. Thought that was the FTR magical way.

Please elaborate. - Tired

[ In Reply To ..]
I would like to know what happened.

If you minimize a report you were referencing - Crazy

[ In Reply To ..]
and then finish typing and go on to the next job while that report is still minimized then the system shows it as a HIPPA violation. You must close out of the report you were referencing before you continue on to the next job... otherwise it tells management that you were looking at a report that was not for the dictator/patient that you were typing at that time. It's crazy.

I've done that before by accident. - Tired

[ In Reply To ..]
I've never gotten in trouble for it.

Although, I'm not sure my CCM even exists anymore. I haven't heard anything from her in over a month. Not that it bothers me.
We must have save CCM. Only irritating if I really need - something.
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Oh my, have done that every time. Don't "remember" - to close out until I need

[ In Reply To ..]
to look up another patient. We are lucky we aren't all in HIPPA violation.

no, but - bj

[ In Reply To ..]
My supervisor said someone was looking at reports that didn't even pertain to the reports that they were typing. Just being nosy, I guess. She said we better watch it because they were keeping a close eye on this. Was that you?

HIPAA Stuff - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
What happens if you just accidentally type in a wrong patient number or something by mistake? This is getting ridiculous. They should pose a violation for someone slamming in and reading what they have no business reading, but sheesh...

Who in the world has time or cares? I don't even type in the same state I live in. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
WHO CARES? I DO. CAN GET FINED FROM 2,500 FOR IT. - Already been threatened.
[ In Reply To ..]
I have received several HIPAA violation emails from my CCM and CTL. We can be fined from 2,500, 25,000, but I cannot imagine the 250,000 could happen to us.

Now when I type a report, if the doctor says, "Dr. Stevenson" and there are 2 Dr. Stevenson when we hit Control N and pull up doctors for that account, I will not put in the first time, ESPECIALLY when there is a copy. For Control L, I just type last name: Stevenson and first time: Dr. AND not their first name for fear it could be the wrong doctor since dictator never stated first name. If I did it wrong, it would be a HIPAA violation and I could be threatened with a 2,500 fine.

NO THANK YOU! Do not have that in my savings account nor do I get paid that in 3 months worth of work.
I meant why would we care to prowl around - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
stranger's reports when we are trying to make a living here. Who has time to be that nosy and why would we want to?
Sorry anon. I like your posts. - I am a bit frazzled.
[ In Reply To ..]
I have had probably a dozen HIPAA warnings from my CCM and CTL to be extremely very careful about the copies of which doctors and ADT names and info.

Do not get paid anywhere near to deal with this stress in this field. The fines are unbelievable.
maybe this is the TRUE plan - ***
[ In Reply To ..]
A few years ago there was talk of training prison inmates to do transcription. I know, if I had a 2500-fine, no way could I pay it. Thus they can fine us all for violations, and when we can't pay, we go to jail (FREE ramen noodles) and just continue to do our work there, for free. Now that's a cost saving idea.
You could prove quite easily in court that it was not - an intentional error on your part, and - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
that it wouldn't have happened at all if the company had insisted that the client identify all doctors they mention, not just give a last name. Doctor lists can be updated, too. How often do they do that? Next to never?

I think it would be very easy to put the finger of blame right back where it belongs - on the MTSO for not insisting that the client provide them with correct demographic information.
Specialties - sick and tired
[ In Reply To ..]
Got transferred to a new locale about 5 months ago and my new primaries don't have specialties listed with the doctors. It helps greatly if "Dr. Johnson" has ENT, or GI, or Oncology listed as his specialty on the doctor list. Makes chosing the right carbon copy person easier and stay out of HIPPA violation.

I will elaborate a little here - Angry

[ In Reply To ..]
It was a dictator that was an ESL and on top of that very POOR sound quality, scratchy, static-like noise. I had 2 of these back to back by the same dictator to start off my shift. I was not happy to start my day this way. Needless to say, it took forever to transcribe even with looking up in the old reports, and I still had to send to QA with lots of blanks that they couldn't fill all in either. In doing so I did look up reports for that patient by different dictators, for example the H&P for thhe patient, as this was a discharge summary. I got an email from CCM that I had a HIPPA violation (first time ever) and that I had certain time frame to get back to her with an explaination. It does not say what the consequences will be. Hopefully, not a fine. I also told her that if we have to take to exaplin every lookup after strugling through a report, it is a waste.

Ranting - Angry

[ In Reply To ..]
This is the frist time that I have ever posted here (for fear that "someone" would know who I am, and there would be repercussions). I never complained to my CCM before this either. I guess this was the straw that broke the camel's back after 10 years at MQ.

this is exactly why I am - bj

[ In Reply To ..]
This is exactly why I am not taking the time to look up old reports. They don't pay me enough money to look up old reports, slows my production down. If it is a short report then I send to QA to listen. If it is a long report then I just send to the client with blanks and let them deal with it. I am so fed up with MQ after 10 years of this BS that I don't care if I get fired because I can draw unemployment. Would make more on UE than working at MQ.

I thought that was in the line of duty -- look up - sick and tired

[ In Reply To ..]
previous reports for the current patient or look up current doctor to get an idea of what he might possibly be saying?

Now NJA *&@# - ANGRY

[ In Reply To ..]
What the heck every other freakin week, this is becoming a problem.
Wait when lockout starts. - I feel my BP rising already.
[ In Reply To ..]
When lockout begins, you better make sure you do your shift MQ says. However, when you run out of work, screw you MQ says.
Lockout could be good - Angry
[ In Reply To ..]
It could be a good thing if people are working during your shift when they are not scheduled. This could mean a slight increase the work amount,right?
So true! You are right. Might be good. - BP is now going down. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
That's what I'm hoping. - yep
[ In Reply To ..]
I had NJA 4 days in a row last week and have had it twice this week already.

Looking at the backlog, I'll be REALLY lucky if I make it to the end of my shift without NJA again today.
Did you see above post? - OH MY GOSH POST? NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
no work available - maiden_canada
[ In Reply To ..]
It's the same thing with MedQuist Canada here, except that part-time MTs are asked to stay off the system so full-time MTs have enough work (not sure if they are getting NJA). Anyway, I missed 6 days off the last pay period and I haven't worked yet since the 1st of the month. What the heck!
Lockdown - Marine Mom
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm a Spheris MT just trying to figure out how things work at MQ. What is "lockdown" everyone keeps talking about? Thanks!
I guess the term is lockout, oops - Marine Mom
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

HIPPA
Feb 28, 2010

I've just received a call from my supervisor advising me that because I cc'd the wrong physician on a report, that it is a HIPPA violation and I have been given a warning that if it happens again I am going to be fired.   I've been doing this job for 35 yrs and I have an excellent work history, ethic, etc.  I realize that HIPPA is very important and I "get it".  But if I lose my job over a lousy cc?   I'm devastated by this.  What has transc ...

HITECH/HIPPA
Nov 14, 2009

A few days ago the MTSO I work for informed us that it was even more important for us to be sure that the patient information in the demographics be accurate.  They went on to say that if an error was made, the patient would now be informed of this.  While I totally agree that at all times patient information, inculding DOB, MR number and other very important data be perfect every time, I can't help but wonder that if patients will be informed when this information is in error, w ...

HIPPA Violation?
Dec 22, 2009

I guess its not really something new, but as I was visiting a friend in the hospital yesterday a doc was sitting at the nurse's station just dictating away.  I clearly heard patient's name and identifying info and her entire medical history while standing outside the room waiting for nurse's to finish with my friend. ...

Has Anyone Got A HIPPA Violation
Apr 07, 2010

Has anyone else gotten a HIPPA violation for referencing old reports when typing an ESL ? ...

HIPPA Certificate
Jun 26, 2011

Just wondering if any other MTs have have taken the new HIPPA compliance test?  ...

HIPPA And The Workforce
Mar 11, 2011

Does anyone know how the new HIPPA regulations affect us as employees?  I'm starting to read up on it, but it's confusing.  I understand the work station.  I understand that we are the workforce and I understand that the government is cracking down on electronic medical records.  Does anyone know anything else?  Thanks. ...

Is It Against HIPPA Protocol...
Nov 07, 2013

To email transcribed medical records? I'm training with a small company & she's having me email completed reports to the "manager." I think this is a HIPPA violation... ...

When We Took The HIPPA Course Not Long
Nov 21, 2013

ago and passed, do we become HIPPA certified and can we get a certificate to show we are certified? ...

HIPPA Testing
Jun 22, 2015

As an independent contractor has anyone had to take a HIPPA test to either start contracting or keep an existing contract with a company that you are transcribing for? ...

? About HIPPA And Privacy Laws
Jan 12, 2010

Is this more strict? or is it the same?  Am I freaking out for nothing new? According to some of those examples, I'm not even sure that normals and the repository are legal.  Doesn't it say that we are not allowed to save other records for examples?  And the fact that you can be fined if you ACCIDENTALLY see something or accidentally send something to the wrong doctor, which I know we have to be careful not to do, but what if it is the dictator who gives us the wron ...

MQ + HIPPA + ILPs = Hypocrisy?
Jan 12, 2010

Okay.  I just finished watching the videos and the HIPPA presentation.  Now that they've put the fear of God in all of us, just how the heck can the Q, with a straight face, suggest or promise to a health care provider that they (the Q) can assure the client the PHI can be guaranteed when sending work to a group of employees who live several continents away and who do not speak English as a primary language.   What a crock!!!!  How many health care providers know their ...

HIPPA/HITECH And Overseas MTs
May 07, 2010

How can any company be compliant with HITECH/HIPPA when they send work overseas. Isn't that a HIPPA violation and should the patient be notified that their personal information, diagnoses, history, SS#, in some cases home address, DOB, etc, is sometimes mentioned in reports and overseas MTs have access to it?  How can any company be compliant, especially with HITECH be compliant with these new laws, regulations, etc, when the patient is not aware their information is accessed overseas ...

HIPPA Compliant Site
Jun 26, 2010

Could somebody explain what this  means to me and also tell me what this would entail so that I would have some idea if I had a compliant site or not? Thanks ...

Has Anyone Ever Reported Someone For A HIPPA Violation? (sm)
Aug 02, 2010

The daughter of a friend of mine works in the clinic that I worked at for 18 years in medical records is known to read charts and then tell others about what she has read.  For example, someone who has an STD that she knows, she has told lots of friends about it and I have heard it myself.  Does anyone have any idea what happens when you report someone for a violation?  I am sure that they take the person's name who is reporting it but can you tell me what else is ...

TT And HIPPA And Nuance's Program.
Jun 13, 2011

Just finished hours worth of unpaid time in and out of programs to balance time sheets for the end of pay period and trying to figure out in and out of programs for 2 weeks with no work.   Now get the email to do the mandatory unpaid HIPPA testing, and still have not WORKED for my 4 cents.  Hummm, when do I want to do this test so I can feel even more hopeless, helpless and worthless?  ...

2013 HIPPA, How Does That Apply To ICs
Aug 25, 2013

Just saw a posting below where this year we would have a title of business associate instead of ICs. What does this mean to us in any way. I only know the very basics of HIPPA, not how this would differ now. Thanks. ...

HIPPA Compliant Email
Jul 31, 2014

What is a good HIPPA complaint email? Other than email, how do you send work to clients if not using an TASP? Thanks, Cathy ...

MTSO/ICs - HIPPA Compliance Question
Oct 13, 2009

If you have your own personal business or contract with a doctor's office, not working for an established company, what kind of things do you have to do to be HIPPA compliant? Do they actually go and inspect and/or question your business practices? Does your work get questioned through the doctor's office? Does HIPPA give certifications and/or anything to tell a perspective client that you practice HIPPA compliance? Are there any other legal things that someone should worry about whe ...

I Knew It. Our First HIPPA Lawsuit! Could Effect MT's.
Jan 26, 2010

I have GOT TO GET OUT OF THIS SWEAT SHOP SO CALLED PROFESSION!! Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal filed the lawsuit on January 12, 2010. In the complaint, Blumenthal alleges that last May a portable disk drive containing Personal Health Information (PHI), social security numbers, and bank account numbers from about 1.5 million customers disappeared while in transit between Connecticut and California. The company did not inform any gover ...

Question About HIPPA And Medical Records
Apr 15, 2011

My husband's father had a brain tumor many years ago (back when I first started dating him) and had surgery.  Unfortunately, the surgeon never stopped the bleeding completely before closing him up and waited too long to take him back to the OR, so he remained in a coma for numerous months until he passed away.  My husband's mother many years later also passed away.  My husband is starting to have periods of extreme forgetfullness and completely not remembering something ...

IC Jobs Being Eliminated Because Of New HIPPA Laws?
Aug 15, 2013

Is anyone elses company elminating IC jobs because of the new HIPPA laws?? We were told that the new laws effect all ICs and that we can either do all this paperwork and training to become a businness associate or become an employee, which for me means losing almost $600 a month in pay! ...

Detailed HIPPA Compliance Protocol
Nov 05, 2013

My company is making all ICs draw up their own to detailed HIPAA compliance processes and security protocols, provide proof of HIPAA and insurance compliance and have a signed Business Associate Agreement in place. They are also requiring that we have more than 1 company that we work for, to be considered an IC. Has anyone ever done this before? Any suggestions on where to start for drawing up the HIPPA protocols, etc? ...