A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Dictating with kids in room - HIPAA violation? - just took liability course

Posted: May 26, 2013

So I just took a HIPAA course regarding the "new rules" regarding our liabilities and obligations under the law.  I often get dictations by doctors who are obviously working at home with their kids running freely (and loudly) through the room, and perhaps a caretaker's voice now and then.  If its a HIPAA violation for ME to have other people listening to dictation, isn't the doctor dictating in the presence of others who obviously have no business hearing that dictation a reportable violation too? 

HIPAA - SCHMIPA

[ In Reply To ..]
Congratulations on your HIPAA course, but as an MT who has been at this for 25+ years (and on my way out BTW), them there doctors don't give a flying saucer about HIPAA and those "new rules" them people are selling. As far as that there MD is concerned, Jim Bob and Mary Sue are free to roam the building if they see fit while he/she is dictating.

Sorry...I'm in one of those moods after a long day of studying while planning my exit from MT and them there MDs who dictate with that darn background noise. Golly gee, I sure hope you don't take offense to this.

No offense - but they say we'll all be audited - just took liability course

[ In Reply To ..]
Course said we're all subject to audit by the powers that be (who get to keep all fines for their agency's use, so they are very motivated), and we are now all equally liable - from lowly MT to multibuck megacorporation. So if I don't report this "daycare doc" for a HIPAA violation, who's to say if they audit me and listen to the dictation we won't both get fined? Its every man for himself these days, liability-wise. I know the doctors don't give a hoot, but under the new laws, we are supposed to whistleblow or we are just as guilty and subject to fines. Does that change your advice any?

Sorry, no it does not - SCHMIPA

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know what course you're talking about, but as far as I know my responsibility is to transcribe what the MD/dictator dictates, background "nuisance" or not. I'm not telling you who to report or not, I just don't see the point.

Well, if you have anyone in your office - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
while you are working, spouse, child, friend, etc., then technically you are violating HIPAA too. You should be behind a locked door as anyone could get pt info from your computer.

according to the rules - doctors are just as liable

[ In Reply To ..]
but who is going to hold the feet of these "god-like creatures'" feet to the fire?? you? lol. don't think so. If you reported them, you would no doubt lose your job before the doctor would ever (have to) comply with the rules. like the current administration, they are "above the law."

p.s. These "rules" are not new. They have been around for years now, and I have often thought the same thing, but to no avail. good luck to you!

So you are working from the comfort of your - own home and worried

[ In Reply To ..]
about whether someone is in the same room with you, oops might be doing something wrong by a person here who could peer over my shoulder and see, a lot of words they could not possibly put together and know what was being said. Really, has it gotten this far? This to me is just irritating to even hear it being discussed. My husband has his desk/computer in the same room with me and he never is interested in 1 darn thing that I am working on much less reading (that is plumb laughable as not doing this type of work majority would not understand even if they could read the words) plus the fact scores and I mean scores of people congregate directly where dictators are - you know-you hear them ALL the time and to where you can hardly make out what the dicatator is saying, laughing, talking, whatever. This just irritates me beyond words. We are held to such standards and yet anything flies for others. Really??? And the bottom line is - how would ANYONE know what goes on in your house unless YOU told them. Really???

Please read regarding HIPAA - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
While I think the OP was a bit overboard in regard to children of physicians possibly understanding what is being said, please read what happened to me. I had to transcribe one of the write-ups myself and was EXTREMELY SERIOUS. Luckily, I was able to contain the other and now DO WORK BEHIND LOCKED DOORS. You have to have a legal subpoena to enter my office.

Incident #1: While I explained in detail numerous times to my husband HIPAA and confidentiality constantly, the following happened, resulting in a severe write-up and could have cost my job and being sued for everything we had, not to mention losing my job. At the time I worked for a local MTSO who hired me to transcribe for local pain physicians. One night, while working and my husband delivering dinner to my desk, he happened to look at the patient sheet printed and recognized a name...so common, such as John Smith. He mentioned he knew a "John Smith" and was actually an employee of his (my husband was his boss at a company who unknown to me uses this clinic for WC cases). I told him yet again about HIPAA laws/confidentiality, and even if he did know such a person (millions of people with that name), he was to ignore what he saw or thought he saw and say nothing whatsoever, not to mention there were a million John Smith's and could be anybody. I am a pain patient myself, but I was only going in for steroid injections and not medications, hated meds, so my husband never associated a pain clinic with people abusing meds or anything near that. To my absolute horror, my husband approached "John Smith" and said. "Hey, do you know a doctor so and so? My wife types his reports." Yes, he was a patient there (and a drug addict). That patient went directly to that doctor and reported the HIPAA violation AND lied that now he could be fired because he was a pain patient. I had to type up my own write-up and could have been sued for everything (as well as the owner of the service I worked for), not to mention losing one of the most profitable and best jobs ever.

Incident #2: I had undergone numerous surgeries and had a serious postop infection, requiring home healthcare nursing. Still working for the same MTSO and clients, her courier had dropped of cassette tapes of dictation with unfortunately the labels of that clinic on the envelope. You guessed it... Despite informing the nurses to always knock on my office door first and wait (I had left front door open for them), they entered.. before I could hide the envelopes. They were BOTH patients there. I then had to listen to them explain away what they never should have had to worry about EVER, worrying completely I would think they were incompetent due to being on meds, which they were actually the very best nurses I know to date). I was absolutely frantic and worrying yet again I would be written up, fired, or sued. To the fabulous nurses, I brushed this off, stating I transcribe thousands of patients a day and did not even recognize their names (I played stupid blonde), when in fact they were patients at several clinics and physicians I had transcribed for.

Yes, we are legally responsible for HIPAA and privacy. You should be working in a completely private office, not sharing computers, desks with spouses, etc. I also constantly run into patients that are in clinics where I receive medical care or for whom I transcribe for, and numerous patients live even on my same street and surrounding neighborhood.

Your office should be locked and completely secured. Do not share with spouses, roommmates, etc. I have had incidences when we allowed his other coworkers to stay here briefly or even when I called over a domestic violence issue, and I refuse to allow anybody, even police officers, in my office without a search warrant.
For me this is absolute rubbish and I will tell - you why
[ In Reply To ..]
What your husband did and what mine would do are so far apart it probably would be astronomical to think ever of my husband approaching the first person to ask "did you so and so." Whereas you have a husband who is more out there so to say, I have a husband who is tremendously shy and does not interact with the people on his job on a day to day basis. He tells he he "listens" but to say something, bring up a subject he would literally die. He is a person who I have to pull things out of, he has ideas, thoughts, opinions but I as his wife are not privy to them. We do not have company here, like people spending the night or even coming in while I am doing work never. We have had some work done recently at our house but they have to be here on my day off as not to make noise and disrupt my ability to hear. Your husband is chatty- mine never is and I have absolutely NO concerns at all being here with him behind me in the same office if I had to work. He would never look over my shoulder, never even if I had family/friends stop by he makes himself out of the way by being in his room playing his guitar or tinkering around outside in the yard. He says it gives me "my time" with someone. He is never intrusive, never noisy (like me) and again, this is absolute rubbish for person with 1 husband and bunch of cats around, no one else. You board up your house, have several alarms put in, install cameras all around, get guard dogs to make sure you are "safe" but you and I come from such different places.
And you are violating the law - RHIA
[ In Reply To ..]
The law is that you will not disclose personally identifiable information. You are making an exception because you think your husband is ok.

The person above you is not overreacting . . . you are underreacting and completely ignoring the needs of the patient and the law.

HIPAA... you NEVER know... - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you. No, I was not overreacting. Unfortunately, I thought my sheets were completely covered up.
From absolutle rubbish, again. I have a - husbahd who would not
[ In Reply To ..]
even turn his head if a bikini clad woman walked right in front of him in Wal-Mart. Oh, I have my TV in the front with me, wonder if someone out there in television land perhaps has someone "watching" me. There is no one who comes into my house ever without my permission. The people here are sounding like paranoid city, like the higher ups are sitting right under their windows outside ready to make their move and come in your home and find out if OMG someone is able to see your computer. Really? With all the outsourcing that is done, with all the scribes going from room to room taking down information, with all the people standing around the dictating stations, do you think someone has enough time to come to each individual home to make sure we are "safe with people's information?" I do not disclose personal information. Seems to me like doctor offices are not that concerned about it, otherwise when you were at the desk signing in, etc. they would ask others to step back so you could complete the process but do they? I have much more important things to think about, not worry about, than this mountain you seem to want to make out of a mole hill. Ridiculous!!!
Ab rubbish again, just reminded me about - what I overheard at the
[ In Reply To ..]
doctor's office recently. I was in the waiting room to see the doctor and the EMPLOYEES were sitting behind a wall with only the glass thingy where you sign in, give insurance cards, what have you and THEY were talking about a conversation had with a patient about the patient calling in and I was in the waiting room, not right under their nose and I could hear from several feet away THEIR conversation about a patient. Do you think for 1 minute I am worried???
I don't give one hoot about HIPAA - - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Why? Because it's constantly violated at the provider level! One of my contracts has a doctor who dictates every single patient on an airplane as he's flying to the next exam! Yes, right next to someone, names, claim numbers, etc, and all. My desk is right in the middle of my house. My daughter comes and goes by it. No one even glances at my screen - they could care less. Until off-shoring ceases, I am not going to care about HIPAA and any ramifications. I do not live in a paranoid world. No one is going to come knocking at my door and do a sudden HIPAA compliance check. What your husband did was a bad deal for you. An isolated event. You must live in a small town - where I live, in the thousands upon thousands of reports I've typed, never have I come across anyone I even thought I might know. I do law enforcement typing, too. Now, if I came across someone I knew, I would absolutely refuse to type the job.
HIPAA, living in Los Angeles - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I live in Los Angeles, CA. I was only mentioning it because you never know what situation might come up. Patients live on my street, in my neighborhood, and shop at the stores we shop at. They also go to the same doctors.... it is a smaller world than one might think. I also transcribe work comp reports to include police officers, some of whom are old friends of mine. I definitely do not mention who I transcribe for to anybody, and nobody enters my office but me.
Living in a large several million people town - and not paranoid in the least
[ In Reply To ..]
Have no idea where the people on my street go to the doctors/hospitals, whatever, have no idea where most shop, never see anyone I know at any store I visit, I have transcribed VIPs before, worked inhouse and now do same work for the hospital was outsourced from, tell people the name of the hospital (did the same while working inhouse, no big secret there?) and right now have my work room door wide open. I am not scared nor intimidated by HIPAA as some seem to be. BOO!

Do ya think OS abides by HIPAA? (Yes is not the - correct answer.) nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

This is the main reason I consider it a farce too. - Offshoring and HIPAA compliance, give me a break.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Technically, a legal airplane could fall on your head, but it - be as reasonable to worry about the real thing.

[ In Reply To ..]
Regulatory agencies have better things to do than come get an MT who didn't report that a 4-year-old was playing in the room while Mommy dictated.

Similar Messages:

HIPAA Violation...
Nov 11, 2013

I posted earlier about a HIPAA violation I believe the company I am subcontracting for is committing. I'm considering filing a complaint, but not sure what this would entail. Before I go too far into it, has anyone filed a complaint against an 'employer,' for lack of a better term, as I am a subcontractor & not an employee? This issue is weighing heavily on my mind. I do have proof of emails sent back and forth that are not encrypted or secured in any way containing reports with t ...

Anyone Accused Of A HIPAA Violation And Let Go?
Jun 22, 2010

x ...

Major HIPAA Violation By BCBS Of GA
Jun 26, 2010

So today I get a letter from BCBS of GA.  Whoops, they had a security breech on their website.  Someone "may have" gotten acccess to my name, SS #, and credit card info. They made "security changes to prevent it from happening again". They are offering me one free year of "identity protection" under Debix Identity Protection Network (has ANYONE out there every heard of this company?).  They want me to leap on to the DIPN website and give them all my information so they can prote ...

HIPAA Violation? I Requested My Medical Records
May 27, 2010

and paid to have them sent to me.  The last 20 pages were someone else's medical record.  I called the records dept and told the clerk, and she acted like it was no big deal and could I bring them back?  At first, I just wanted the extra 5 bux back that I paid for these (5 bux per 20 pages is what they charge).  Then I wondered if someone else got a part of MY medical record?  She assured me not.  This really sounds like a big fat HIPAA violation and I think th ...

Where Would I Start, In Order To Report A HIPAA Violation?
Oct 15, 2014

I think this really should be reported and looked into,  as long as we're all supposed to be taking HIPAA so seriously. And, no, it doesn't matter what the violation was, I'm not posting it here for everyone to argue over the dirty details. ...

HIPAA Violation? My HMO's Records Dept Accidentally Sent
Jan 10, 2015

instead of my own.  I called and told the person (it was the exact person that I had send the records)  and he acted like it was no big deal -- he just goes, "oh could you bring that back here today?"  Of course I will bring them back, but I think it was funny how he made it seem like there was nothing wrong with the scenario.  He probably thought I had no idea about HIPAA.  ...

Anyone Experiencing HIPAA Violation Threats Of Fines/termination?
Nov 11, 2009

Anyone experiencing HIPAA violation threats of fines/termination? ...

HIPAA - Need A Quick Check On HIPAA Rules
Oct 29, 2009

Hi, I need a quick check on HIPAA rules.  With respect to the health care debate, I want to write to my senator, etc., about a situation with a patient I transcribed on.  The only info. I intend to give is that the patient was a:  Russian immigrant, on welfare and receiving Medicaid benefits--when he should not have.  He and his "sponsor(s)" was responsible for his care and living expenses.  Further, I transcribed a note in which the doctor said that this patient wanted to re-sched ...

Ok Kids, See This, I Did What I Could
Jan 05, 2010

Sooooo, I had to have a block in my neck for pain, 3 protruding disks.  I told the doc what I did and why I have more problems now, IE the font with my new company.  Anyhow, he said "you would not like me, I dictate really, really fast. " I told him that there is someone on the other end trying their ***** to get it correct, so if you want it correct slow down.  He said "really?"  Yea baby.  Do you want correct reports or others that you have to go over?  DUH.  ...

Kids In Dictations
Oct 24, 2009

I just got done with a job where for the last minute the kid kept saying "daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daaaaaddddy, daaaddddy... etc" for literally over a minute.  He just kept on talking like it was nothing.  I on the other hand was telling the kid to be quiet!!!  Don't think he heard me! ...

Working With Kids
Mar 30, 2010

For all the moms out there, How do you do it with kids and trying to work? I am in the situation of deciding on whether or not to keep paying daycare. I wanted to be at home and be more available to my kids. I find myselft thinking that maybe if I let my sitter go, then that would be more money in my pocket, meanwhile, I wonder how I would work if I did let her go. Good dependable, trustworthy sitters are hard to find. Does anyone have any advice or stories on how you can be successful ...

HI KIDS, ANY OLDIES STILL AT EVIL Q?
Apr 26, 2010

Just curious.com.net.org...... dot. dot.dot. dot................ WHY? ...

Working 2nd Shift With Kids
Apr 29, 2013

I'm considering a FT second shift position with a company, but I would like to get some input from others who work 2nd shift on how they are able to do it with a husband and small children at home.  I am currently working first shift while husband is at work and kids in school but have a lot of days with low or no work.  Just wondering how you are able to stay focused and take care of regular chores/duties around the house in the evenings and still work and maintain a decent line ...

Working With Young Kids At Home
May 30, 2013

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to work at home with 2 small kids, under age of 3.  Losing a babysitter and have no other options.  I have done it before but not for long periods of time.  Any helpful hints or suggestions would be appreciated. ...

Violation
Apr 08, 2010

I received an email too 2 days ago from ccm needing an explanation of why I had a patient's report open when I was not actively transcribing.  I know there was a night when I had signed out and I had a window still opened that I did not realize was opened.  I had minimized the window in case I needed the document again to refer to.   Geesh.  sometimes I don't even feel like wasting my time to search old reports.  I feel like its constant harrassment lately ...

Saw On A Morning Program That Kids Who Are Babysitting Are Probably Making More Than We Are!
Mar 24, 2015

x ...

PT 94% On Room Air????
Jan 08, 2010

It is obvious she is referring to the pulse ox, but I can not figure out what PT could mean in this context.  Has anyone heard this before, and if so, what does it stand for? Thanks! ...

HIPPA Violation?
Dec 22, 2009

I guess its not really something new, but as I was visiting a friend in the hospital yesterday a doc was sitting at the nurse's station just dictating away.  I clearly heard patient's name and identifying info and her entire medical history while standing outside the room waiting for nurse's to finish with my friend. ...

Has Anyone Got A HIPPA Violation
Apr 07, 2010

Has anyone else gotten a HIPPA violation for referencing old reports when typing an ESL ? ...

Do You Cap Or Not Cap? Patient In Room 8, Bed 2?
Feb 17, 2010

What Constitues An Ethics Violation?
Apr 21, 2010

Hello, One of my friends here at MQ was just put back on 100% QA after one bad audit.  Now, due to First Time Right, she will be making 3 cpl less for ALL HER LINES since it all is going to QA - except for that 10% allowance that she has. This is just SO not right!!!  How is anyone supposed to live on a pay cut like that?  For 8-9 cpl, it's a 30% pay cut! Is this reportable to anyone?  (If anyone would care...)  What can we do about this - besides quit? ...

Has Anyone Ever Reported Someone For A HIPPA Violation? (sm)
Aug 02, 2010

The daughter of a friend of mine works in the clinic that I worked at for 18 years in medical records is known to read charts and then tell others about what she has read.  For example, someone who has an STD that she knows, she has told lots of friends about it and I have heard it myself.  Does anyone have any idea what happens when you report someone for a violation?  I am sure that they take the person's name who is reporting it but can you tell me what else is ...

The Elephant In The Room Is Sitting On Me Now.
May 12, 2014

It's a sad realization that while I was a fairly decent medical transcriptionist, I am not good at editing. I made 3 critical errors in one day. I don't really have an excuse. I caught a bazillion errors as I had some pretty bad dictations yesterday but missed a lab error 50.3 instead of 50.8, a diagnosis VR typed hemangioma and it was supposed to be meningioma. There was one other stupid one. I'm not too proud to admit, I am just not cut out for this. I'm not sure if ...

Kids First Day Of School, Ready To Work, Just Found Out My Account Of 7 Years Went To EMR. Great:(
Aug 20, 2012

nm ...

Not A Medical Term - Which ? To The Emergency Room
Oct 19, 2010

The patient had a bout of renal colic which _____ for an ER visit.  I'm hearing "com___".  I would imagine it means necessitating a visit to the ER, but I'm stumped on words that s/l com---- ...

Type Of Operating Room Table
Jun 12, 2011

Patient is having shoulder surgery.  Doctor is VERY fast and mumbling - "Under general endotracheal anesthesia and the patient supine on the ____  table,...." Sounds like hen-nic  or possibly even "head and neck" but I can't verify this in my books.  Thanks is advance for your time and your help!     ...

Patient Brought To The Operation Room And ??
Aug 18, 2011

The following sentence was dictated: "Patient brought to the operating room and __ placed supine on the operating table." The __ word sounds like it starts with "sw", but I'm not able to make it out. It makes since for the word to be "was" because it fits the sentence, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?? Thanks! ...

She Can Return The Emergency Room Or CPAP?
Sep 07, 2011

Ok, I've been getting a lot of doctors saying this. That patients can go to/return to what s/l CPAP (see pap).   Is this correct? I'm not sure if it's a nickname for another local facility either. I have a list of commonly referred to places for this client and nothing like CPAP is on there.  Just curious. ...

No One Has Mentioned The FIESA Elephant In The Room.
Dec 03, 2014

They have put out the word that they are hiring more auditors. That is probably to ensure more mistakes are caught, thereby lowering our pay even more and turning us against one another. I don't understand FIESA's role in this. Anyone?? ...

How Do You Find A Quiet Space To Work When You've Run Out Of Room?!?!?!
Feb 05, 2010

I recently moved into a small two bedroom house.  It's an older house with a very creepy basement that is not finished, is damp, and just gross.  Until I can afford to convert the garage or re-do the basement, my teenaged son has one bedroom and my 8yo daughter and I share the the master BR.  Meanwhile my husband sleeps in the LR on the couch (our relationship is basically that of friends now who can't afford divorce).  Anyway, my desk currently is in the LR.  ...