A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

HIPPA violation? - HIPPA

Posted: Dec 22, 2009

I guess its not really something new, but as I was visiting a friend in the hospital yesterday a doc was sitting at the nurse's station just dictating away.  I clearly heard patient's name and identifying info and her entire medical history while standing outside the room waiting for nurse's to finish with my friend.

HIPPA - dsauverwald

[ In Reply To ..]
Although I agree that dictation should be done in a private room away from listening ears, this is not considered a HIPPA violation. I researched this and apparently it is only considered a HIPPA violation if the information is misused once it is a completed document and transferred electronically. Overhearing a physician dictating is not a violation, although I wish they wouldn't do that.

HIPPA - HIPPA

[ In Reply To ..]
Then why does my company say that I have to have my work station where no one can look over my shoulder and see what I am typing, etc..

I took the HIPPA training and passed the test, so I guess I am not in violation --- LOL

HIPAA - jaytee

[ In Reply To ..]
According to when I worked in-house, this is a HIPAA violation, although it seems to be done very often everywhere (including where I am even though they DO have a private place to dictate). I am sure that when HITECH hits the ground in Feb, this will change after a few lawsuits.
HIPPA - dsauverwald
[ In Reply To ..]
As transcriptionists, we do have to have our work station set up where noone can see our work because we are performing transcription electronically!!! Once our work is typed into a word document it would be considered a violation if someone saw that work. By hearing someone say information is not a violation, although I do not agree with that. And I do agree, these rules will more than likely change in the new year as there has been huge controversy regarding this topic.
Interesting. I was informed my home screen could not be visible - MissIndigo
[ In Reply To ..]
to others while a document is in process, complete or incomplete. Interesting to hear the way it is in facilities so far.
Home Screen - dsauverwald
[ In Reply To ..]
You are right, your home screen cannot be visible. I have worked in several facilities and in-house transcription does not follow HIPPA, they have their own confidentiality policies to follow. Some facilities do follow HIPPA, but very few I do believe as they make their own policies regarding confidentiality.
Thanks, guys. I had no idea and had just assumed it was always the same. NM - MissIndigo
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I have questions - Lynn
[ In Reply To ..]
Who is going to be responsible for going to all the homes of all transcriptions and checking to see where we have our computer set up? Now really.
No one, of course. It's our responsibility. We're up to it. NM - MissIndigo
[ In Reply To ..]
x

I had that happen once too, when I was in the - med. clinic for a physical. -sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Not only did I hear everything, but it was a person I knew - actually a long-time bitter enemy! The information not only was health-related, but big psychiatric problems as well (but of course, I already knew that, having dealt with her before - LOL!) Still, if I were not an MT, with higher standards and a knowledge of HIPAA, this info could've been spread far and wide and used against her.

People who dictate reports out in the open like that not only make it harder for us to hear what they're saying because of background noise, they also make it easier for half the medical facility to hear them. They should dictate IN PRIVATE, behind CLOSED DOORS!

Not to mention, the difficult ESL who is dictating - QUIETLY in the middle of a noisy corridor!

[ In Reply To ..]
Nobody could possibly hear what she is saying. Including me.

When you go to the doctor - you should

[ In Reply To ..]
be given a copy of the HIPPA rules. In there it tells you that other patients may overhear details about you in the office setting. Most offices require you to read this and sign it at least once a year.

Therefore, it is not a HIPPA violation.

Ive not only never seen or signed anything - like that, but my exams have

[ In Reply To ..]
always been in a small, private room. I can't hear what's being said in adjacent rooms, either. But when you're sitting in there with the door open, waiting, or standing in the hallway at the nurses' station waiting for them to give you a referral slip or Rx slip, then yeah - you can hear the doctors dictating in the dictation cubicle in that same hallway. It has a door, but they rarely seem to close it like they should.

Husband has a desk in the room with me and get this - Lynn

[ In Reply To ..]
He asks me to accompany him to the doctor because with him sitting face to face, he has no idea basically what is being said. Oh, yeh, well he sure would be a danger if he saw something on my screen, would not have the first clue.
LOL. Mine's flat not interested. It looks like work--speedy turnoff for my retired fisherman.NM - MissIndigo
[ In Reply To ..]
Merry Christmas!
No doubt most MTs family/friends find it boring - and uninteresting
[ In Reply To ..]
I think its overkill to insist home based MTs use the same privacy standards as a public hospital. We're usually typing stuff from halfway across the country, so why should anybody in our house be the slightest bit interested in the medical reports of a bunch of strangers they'll never meet? Heck, I have a hard enought time staying awake to type it. Anybody not getting paid to pay attention to it could certainly find more fun things to do, and are unlikely to even understand every 3rd word - in the case of ESL's, not a SINGLE word.

Its HIPAA! - IAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

LOL - dsauverwald

[ In Reply To ..]
OMG - you are so right lol it is HIPAA!!!

This is an "incidental disclosure" under the Privacy Rule. - Tech Support

[ In Reply To ..]
The PR requires covered entities to take "reasonable measures" to prevent/limit incidental disclosures of which it is or should be aware.

The Security Rule also comes into play with respect to physical security measures (e.g., providing a place for dictation that is more private, implementing policies about dictating in public earshot, etc.).

Although the HITECH provisions of ARRA (passed in 2009) implement somewhat stricter privacy requirements, there is an exception for incidental disclosures where the unauthorized party "is not believed to retain the information"...which some legal beagles have interpreted to mean the sort of oral disclosure that the OP describes here.

The bottom line, though, is that a disclosure like this one is both reasonably foreseeable and preventable, and should be addressed. The facility might be very grateful if the OP would let them know about the incident and how it occurred.

Similar Messages:

Has Anyone Got A HIPPA Violation
Apr 07, 2010

Has anyone else gotten a HIPPA violation for referencing old reports when typing an ESL ? ...

Has Anyone Ever Reported Someone For A HIPPA Violation? (sm)
Aug 02, 2010

The daughter of a friend of mine works in the clinic that I worked at for 18 years in medical records is known to read charts and then tell others about what she has read.  For example, someone who has an STD that she knows, she has told lots of friends about it and I have heard it myself.  Does anyone have any idea what happens when you report someone for a violation?  I am sure that they take the person's name who is reporting it but can you tell me what else is ...

Violation
Apr 08, 2010

I received an email too 2 days ago from ccm needing an explanation of why I had a patient's report open when I was not actively transcribing.  I know there was a night when I had signed out and I had a window still opened that I did not realize was opened.  I had minimized the window in case I needed the document again to refer to.   Geesh.  sometimes I don't even feel like wasting my time to search old reports.  I feel like its constant harrassment lately ...

HIPAA Violation...
Nov 11, 2013

I posted earlier about a HIPAA violation I believe the company I am subcontracting for is committing. I'm considering filing a complaint, but not sure what this would entail. Before I go too far into it, has anyone filed a complaint against an 'employer,' for lack of a better term, as I am a subcontractor & not an employee? This issue is weighing heavily on my mind. I do have proof of emails sent back and forth that are not encrypted or secured in any way containing reports with t ...

What Constitues An Ethics Violation?
Apr 21, 2010

Hello, One of my friends here at MQ was just put back on 100% QA after one bad audit.  Now, due to First Time Right, she will be making 3 cpl less for ALL HER LINES since it all is going to QA - except for that 10% allowance that she has. This is just SO not right!!!  How is anyone supposed to live on a pay cut like that?  For 8-9 cpl, it's a 30% pay cut! Is this reportable to anyone?  (If anyone would care...)  What can we do about this - besides quit? ...

Anyone Accused Of A HIPAA Violation And Let Go?
Jun 22, 2010

x ...

Major HIPAA Violation By BCBS Of GA
Jun 26, 2010

So today I get a letter from BCBS of GA.  Whoops, they had a security breech on their website.  Someone "may have" gotten acccess to my name, SS #, and credit card info. They made "security changes to prevent it from happening again". They are offering me one free year of "identity protection" under Debix Identity Protection Network (has ANYONE out there every heard of this company?).  They want me to leap on to the DIPN website and give them all my information so they can prote ...

HIPAA Violation? I Requested My Medical Records
May 27, 2010

and paid to have them sent to me.  The last 20 pages were someone else's medical record.  I called the records dept and told the clerk, and she acted like it was no big deal and could I bring them back?  At first, I just wanted the extra 5 bux back that I paid for these (5 bux per 20 pages is what they charge).  Then I wondered if someone else got a part of MY medical record?  She assured me not.  This really sounds like a big fat HIPAA violation and I think th ...

Dictating With Kids In Room - HIPAA Violation?
May 26, 2013

So I just took a HIPAA course regarding the "new rules" regarding our liabilities and obligations under the law.  I often get dictations by doctors who are obviously working at home with their kids running freely (and loudly) through the room, and perhaps a caretaker's voice now and then.  If its a HIPAA violation for ME to have other people listening to dictation, isn't the doctor dictating in the presence of others who obviously have no business hearing that dictation a rep ...

Where Would I Start, In Order To Report A HIPAA Violation?
Oct 15, 2014

I think this really should be reported and looked into,  as long as we're all supposed to be taking HIPAA so seriously. And, no, it doesn't matter what the violation was, I'm not posting it here for everyone to argue over the dirty details. ...

HIPAA Violation? My HMO's Records Dept Accidentally Sent
Jan 10, 2015

instead of my own.  I called and told the person (it was the exact person that I had send the records)  and he acted like it was no big deal -- he just goes, "oh could you bring that back here today?"  Of course I will bring them back, but I think it was funny how he made it seem like there was nothing wrong with the scenario.  He probably thought I had no idea about HIPAA.  ...

Anyone Experiencing HIPAA Violation Threats Of Fines/termination?
Nov 11, 2009

Anyone experiencing HIPAA violation threats of fines/termination? ...

HIPPA
Feb 28, 2010

I've just received a call from my supervisor advising me that because I cc'd the wrong physician on a report, that it is a HIPPA violation and I have been given a warning that if it happens again I am going to be fired.   I've been doing this job for 35 yrs and I have an excellent work history, ethic, etc.  I realize that HIPPA is very important and I "get it".  But if I lose my job over a lousy cc?   I'm devastated by this.  What has transc ...

HITECH/HIPPA
Nov 14, 2009

A few days ago the MTSO I work for informed us that it was even more important for us to be sure that the patient information in the demographics be accurate.  They went on to say that if an error was made, the patient would now be informed of this.  While I totally agree that at all times patient information, inculding DOB, MR number and other very important data be perfect every time, I can't help but wonder that if patients will be informed when this information is in error, w ...

Has Anyone Gotten A HIPPA Viloation
Apr 07, 2010

Has anyone else gotten a HIPPA violation for referencing old reports when typing an ESL ? ...

HIPPA Certificate
Jun 26, 2011

Just wondering if any other MTs have have taken the new HIPPA compliance test?  ...

HIPPA And The Workforce
Mar 11, 2011

Does anyone know how the new HIPPA regulations affect us as employees?  I'm starting to read up on it, but it's confusing.  I understand the work station.  I understand that we are the workforce and I understand that the government is cracking down on electronic medical records.  Does anyone know anything else?  Thanks. ...

Is It Against HIPPA Protocol...
Nov 07, 2013

To email transcribed medical records? I'm training with a small company & she's having me email completed reports to the "manager." I think this is a HIPPA violation... ...

When We Took The HIPPA Course Not Long
Nov 21, 2013

ago and passed, do we become HIPPA certified and can we get a certificate to show we are certified? ...

HIPPA Testing
Jun 22, 2015

As an independent contractor has anyone had to take a HIPPA test to either start contracting or keep an existing contract with a company that you are transcribing for? ...

? About HIPPA And Privacy Laws
Jan 12, 2010

Is this more strict? or is it the same?  Am I freaking out for nothing new? According to some of those examples, I'm not even sure that normals and the repository are legal.  Doesn't it say that we are not allowed to save other records for examples?  And the fact that you can be fined if you ACCIDENTALLY see something or accidentally send something to the wrong doctor, which I know we have to be careful not to do, but what if it is the dictator who gives us the wron ...

MQ + HIPPA + ILPs = Hypocrisy?
Jan 12, 2010

Okay.  I just finished watching the videos and the HIPPA presentation.  Now that they've put the fear of God in all of us, just how the heck can the Q, with a straight face, suggest or promise to a health care provider that they (the Q) can assure the client the PHI can be guaranteed when sending work to a group of employees who live several continents away and who do not speak English as a primary language.   What a crock!!!!  How many health care providers know their ...

HIPPA/HITECH And Overseas MTs
May 07, 2010

How can any company be compliant with HITECH/HIPPA when they send work overseas. Isn't that a HIPPA violation and should the patient be notified that their personal information, diagnoses, history, SS#, in some cases home address, DOB, etc, is sometimes mentioned in reports and overseas MTs have access to it?  How can any company be compliant, especially with HITECH be compliant with these new laws, regulations, etc, when the patient is not aware their information is accessed overseas ...

HIPPA Compliant Site
Jun 26, 2010

Could somebody explain what this  means to me and also tell me what this would entail so that I would have some idea if I had a compliant site or not? Thanks ...

TT And HIPPA And Nuance's Program.
Jun 13, 2011

Just finished hours worth of unpaid time in and out of programs to balance time sheets for the end of pay period and trying to figure out in and out of programs for 2 weeks with no work.   Now get the email to do the mandatory unpaid HIPPA testing, and still have not WORKED for my 4 cents.  Hummm, when do I want to do this test so I can feel even more hopeless, helpless and worthless?  ...

2013 HIPPA, How Does That Apply To ICs
Aug 25, 2013

Just saw a posting below where this year we would have a title of business associate instead of ICs. What does this mean to us in any way. I only know the very basics of HIPPA, not how this would differ now. Thanks. ...

HIPPA Compliant Email
Jul 31, 2014

What is a good HIPPA complaint email? Other than email, how do you send work to clients if not using an TASP? Thanks, Cathy ...

MTSO/ICs - HIPPA Compliance Question
Oct 13, 2009

If you have your own personal business or contract with a doctor's office, not working for an established company, what kind of things do you have to do to be HIPPA compliant? Do they actually go and inspect and/or question your business practices? Does your work get questioned through the doctor's office? Does HIPPA give certifications and/or anything to tell a perspective client that you practice HIPPA compliance? Are there any other legal things that someone should worry about whe ...

I Knew It. Our First HIPPA Lawsuit! Could Effect MT's.
Jan 26, 2010

I have GOT TO GET OUT OF THIS SWEAT SHOP SO CALLED PROFESSION!! Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal filed the lawsuit on January 12, 2010. In the complaint, Blumenthal alleges that last May a portable disk drive containing Personal Health Information (PHI), social security numbers, and bank account numbers from about 1.5 million customers disappeared while in transit between Connecticut and California. The company did not inform any gover ...

Question About HIPPA And Medical Records
Apr 15, 2011

My husband's father had a brain tumor many years ago (back when I first started dating him) and had surgery.  Unfortunately, the surgeon never stopped the bleeding completely before closing him up and waited too long to take him back to the OR, so he remained in a coma for numerous months until he passed away.  My husband's mother many years later also passed away.  My husband is starting to have periods of extreme forgetfullness and completely not remembering something ...