A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Cut back on hours ...again...time to retire - Patti

Posted: Feb 08, 2010

I have been cut back on my hours at my current job, after being rehired full time 3 months ago (grrrrrrrr!!!!).  The hospital and doctors office I work for currently switched from cassettes to VR, and the workload has dropped dramatically, and with them hiring trauma surgeons only, with no hope of more work, it has hastened me to make a decision to retire from transcription completely after 27 years. 

I started my own travel agency after graduating from travel school 3 years ago, and business has picked up dramatically.  I'm done working full-time MT and part time travel...only to be slapped down...so I'm taking a leap of faith and trusting I'll be able to make a living at travel only. 

I gave my 2 week notice at my hospital job....I'm nervous but so excited.  Please wish me luck. 

Patti

Retiring MT - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been an MT for 22 years - and the profession is a disaster. I worked in a neurology office for 17 plus years and they outsourced, could have gone with the outsource company, but seeing as though I had never worked at home before decided to try work at another practice, was unhappy, and now here I am an at home MT. I am glad to hear you at least have something to fall back on - it is always uplifting when you hear someone has a plan B and not just left out to hang and dry. I wish you all the luck !!!!!

DO YOU NEED HELP?? - OLD, TIRED MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Sounds like a plan - you go girl! May your business be a success and transcription in your rearview window. Can I help????

Good luck! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Wishing you the best! - momo
[ In Reply To ..]
You go girl!!!!!!!

Help - Patti

[ In Reply To ..]
Old tired MT:

I will actually need help if the business keeps going at the pace it's currently at...so sure...I'll be looking for an assistant in about 6 months :)

Patti

Good Luck. I wish you the best. - Backwards Typist

[ In Reply To ..]

You're one of the smart ones. :-)

Question for Patty - shalyn840

[ In Reply To ..]
I read that you were an MT for 27 years. Did you notice by any chance that your line count DROPPED in the most recent years?

I have been an MT for 23 years....I'm struggling to make 1200 lines a day.

Question - Patti

[ In Reply To ..]

Shalyn:

Yes, my line count has dropped. I used to type 120 wpm back in the day...now I'm lucky to hit 70 or 80 most days. I've been typing since the 7th grade...that's almost 40 years, and these old wrists say it's time to stop ...

Retirement - Patti

[ In Reply To ..]

Thank you all so much for the well wishes :) I'm so stressed out trying to fit in both jobs now...I can't wait until the end of next week!!!!

I'm going to be giving all my medical books away...to anyone who wants them, you just have to either pay for shipping or come pick them up in central New Hampshire. There are quite a lot of books...probably 20 or so.

I'm also going to be selling 2 C-phones and 2 mini-cassette transcribers.

This all makes it feel very real :)

Patti

Similar Messages:

Full-time/Part-time Hours?
Feb 13, 2012

Since part-time is generally considered 20-25 hrs. per week, does that mean that full-time is anything over 25 hrs. per week or does it have to be a flat 40 hrs? ...

Before I Ask TL, Does Anyone Know If I Can Cut Back Hours?
Jul 24, 2012

I'm scheduled 40 hours but I just can't do it anymore.  I want to work 30 hours, but do you still get all the benefits of being a 40-hour employee?  Thanks ! ...

Getting Ready To Retire
May 30, 2011

HI everyone, well, here I am about to retire from the Federal Government after 37 years, but would like to go back to transcriptions which I did fo a few years. Course, a few years is a long time and I know I'll need to go back to a school for brush-up. Any recommendations, or should I try to learn to bake cookies instead? Please help! ...

This Doctor Needs To Retire, Scary!
Nov 02, 2010

I have this doctor I've been working with for a few years through a company, who is very old.  He frequently loses his place while dictating and often doesn't make sense.  Today has been bad already.  One report he dictated 3 sentences that did not make sense, nor was it clear what he was really trying to say.  Another report he dictated the exam, paused, started to dictate exam and then realized he already did, started with the impression, dictated #1, t ...

Can You Drop To PT (30 Hours) From FT At Any Time?
Sep 02, 2010

Or only certain time of the year?  With all the NJA the stress of trying to stay FT and get my 40 hours in killing me.  It's getting next to impossible to get 40 hours anyway, so I figure I'd go to PT of 30 hours and stop stressing.  My CCM says I'll most likely lose my health benefits anyway if I continue not getting my 40 hours in.          ...

Part-time Hours
Sep 08, 2012

A year ago I lost my primary and had to transfer to a new CCM, she was getting a new account that only sent us work evenings and weekends, so to keep my job I chose those hours but then as time went on asked to have some day hours on other accounts.   But that has put me up to 38 hours.  Now I want to cut back to 24 hours and am having a hard time getting my CCM to take the time see where I can cut.  Been with this company for 16 years (before we had to clock in and have a schedule...fullti ...

Part Time, 40/48 Hours Per Pay
Oct 29, 2012

I am restricted to 4 hours a day per my doctor.  Does anyone know if you can work 40 hours instead of 48 per pay with dr note or can you be released-is there a law regarding this????? Anyone know???  Thanks ya'll.  ...

Time Clock Hours Off
May 28, 2013

Ok, I am wondering something.  I work about 10 hours a day because I have back problems so I get up and walk around the house, then back to work.  I'm not talking an hour walk around the house, I'm talking maybe 10 minutes tops.  So in that 10 hours a day I get maybe 25 hours showing on webclock for the week.  I've tried sitting longer and longer periods still at the end of the week I'm showing less hours, though my line count is 6000 and above.  Is t ...

Part Time Hours
Nov 25, 2013

Does anyone know what number of hours per week constitutes part-time? 20? 24?  Thanks in advance. ...

What Are Part Time Hours
Apr 02, 2014

can anyone tell me what constitutes part time hours at Mmoral? ...

Part-time Hours Requirement
Jul 26, 2011

Does anyone know how hard and fast MQ is on their minimum part-time requirements? I know it's 24 hours per week. I'm ideally looking for 16-20 hours. Does anyone work for MQ for less than 24 hours a week?  Just wondering if there's any flexibility on this.  Thanks! ...

Question About Part-time And Hours
Sep 25, 2012

Our hospital is being outsourced to MModal.  The offers are supposedly there and ready but for some reason they haven't passed them on to us yet.  I was wondering how many hours are required for part-time and if you can work a flexible shift.  If I can work part-time with a split shift I may consider taking the offer.  Of course I will have to see it first because I haven't heard much good about MModal. Thanks. ...

How Many Hours Is Part-time At MModal?
Jan 17, 2013

Synernet Part-time Hours?
Jul 25, 2013

Does Synernet hire part-timers to work evenings and weekends, up to 20 hours a week? ...

How Much Leeway Do We Have With Full- Time Hours?
May 13, 2014

Hi - Have recently gone to full time and need to know how many minutes we are allowed [either less or more] each pay period.    I don't see how I can exactly meet 40 hours each week.  Any advice would be very much appreciated.  TIA ...

Only 9 Hours This Week And Full-time With Benefits And
Dec 27, 2012

happen before and I have another part-time job so I can't keep checking back and forth all day everyday to make up time. Anyone else every been in this situation? Tomorrow is Friday and I am not even close to 20 hours let alone 39?? I have put in tickets in remedy, but just curious if anyone else has ever been in this situation and what was the outcome? ...

Impossible To How Many Full-time To Not Make Hours.
Jan 26, 2013

I haven't made by 80 hours per pay in quite a long time (almost a year).  I sure there are some of you out there, too.  They must not mind paying their portion of my benefits from health insurance to life insurance, STD, an on.  What is up with that?  I have never had a call saying I have to make my hours up or get called on the carpet for only sometimes putting in 50 hours or less.  I just don't get it! ...

Part-time Hours And Employee Status
Mar 28, 2014

Are there any companies that hire part-time Monday through Friday from around 8 AM to 12 noon or 9 AM to 1 PM that would be employee status? I am looking for a company that would hire me part-time to do clinic work and need to have week-ends off for sporting events for my son.  ...

Amphion...what Are The Min. Hours For Part-time? Any PT Benefits?
Apr 24, 2015

nm ...

If You Drop To 35 Hours/week, Do You Still Get All The Full-time Benefits?
Dec 15, 2014

I'd like to drop 5 hours, but not if I have to pay more for health insurance, etc. ...

Least Number Of Hours You Can Work Part-time With Employment Status
Jan 04, 2010

Hi.. I was wondering, what is the least number of hours you can work part-time with employment status. Thanks! ...

Anyone Know The Minimum Number Of Hours And Lines Per Week Required For Part-time
Aug 04, 2010

MT/ME positions at Medquist? ...

Wondering If There Is A Typical Lag Time For Hearing Back Once You Have Tested.
Sep 25, 2012

Tough to decide who to test with these days, but having done so I don't want to just sit here forever waiting for a response that should have long since come indicating, therefore, that no response will be coming.  Any thoughts?  A week?  Less?  More? ...

Bringing Back To The Top, Has Anyone Heard From Script Time Medical Transcription?
Dec 21, 2010

NM ...

Any Long-time MTs (over 30 Years) Having Chronic Neck/back Pain
Apr 25, 2011

Any long-time MTs (over 30 years) having chronic neck/back pain, hand pain, wrist pain, migraines, etc., ever had luck at filing a workers comp claim? ...

Just Applied To Nuance. Curious What Hours Most Of You Work And What Hours 2nd Shift Is?
Jul 10, 2012

Please don't discourage me from applying to Nuance.  I just lost my job today and I need a job BAD!  Plus, I've only got two semesters of college left before I graduate and move out of this field.  Anyway, can someone tell me what 2nd shift hours are? And I'm curious to know when most of you work. Thanks ...

Shesh. Been Sitting Here 6 Hours For 3-1/2 Hours Of Work.
Apr 17, 2013

Somehow, I think we should be getting paid for the time we are waiting between jobs, especially since the wait isn't fitting into the 15-minute wait period. - Of course, waiting put under work availability. ...

Department Of Labor Says 40 Hours Equals 40 Hours...
Sep 16, 2014

...check it out for yourselves. Employees are not independent contractors. If you signed up for a straight 8 per day, your time sheet should reflect only the breaks you take off the clock. They are so messing with you folks! ...

Does Anyone Ever Hear Back Anymore From Jobs Posted? In The Past I Always Heard Back Even If I Was N
Dec 10, 2012

Back To Work After Back Surgery
Aug 23, 2012

Hello, I would like to transcribe from home again. However, I HAVE to get up and walk for a few minutes at least once an hour. You see, I had to have 2 back surgeries in the last 18 months. I've been a transcriptionist for many years and this is my profession. Does anyone have a suggestion what to tell these companies that will hire you to work from home when you have to get up so much? The last company I tried had a "pop-up" box that appeared on my screen if you were up longer than 10 min ...